Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1261 1262 [1263] 1264 1265 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100130 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18930 on: February 11, 2012, 10:20:29 pm »

I dug out an entire moat and built a bridge for a planned topside greenhouse, with glass and all.

Then I realised I embarked on a mountain biome.

That reminds me, I want to do some experimentation with building with glass blocks.

My fortress has just gone through the first big disaster, the Great Fire of 14.  It's my fault for cheating really.

I set up a dwarven bathtub at the entrance to the first cavern, but when initially setting it up, half of the water (in a 2x3 space) was 3/7 and half was 4/7 because I didn't monitor it properly.  As a result, the dwarves didn't seem to want to walk through it.  So I tried using DFHack to fix the problem. I could get rid of the excess with the liquids command, so I decided to use magma instead.  I spawned 3/7 magma in one of the squares, reasoning that it would get rid of the excess water.  It did, but it caused problems of its own.

First it created 3 obsidian walls, and they had to be mined out to fix the bathtub.  Worse though was temperature problems.  When I first plunked down the magma I had temperature turned off, because I was running the big-ass magma pumpstack.  What I didn't realize (and later found out by using the DFHack probe command), was that those squares were now at a temperature of 12,000 Urist.  I then sent some dorfs through the bathtub to fix the wall I had placed in the cavern because there some gaps in it, and the cavern layer is infested with 8 FBs.  Those dorfs became hot enough to burn as they went through the bathtub, and much !!FUN!! ensued when I turned temperature back on.  They caught on fire, bled to death and started fires in the fort.  This happened to me twice, both times crashing DF, so I went back and turned temperature off temporarily to fix the problem.

So I refilled the bathtub to 3/7, saved the game, and went back and turned temperature on because I felt having it off was cheating, and it didn't feel right that the river wasn't freezing (I had forgotten temperature was off orginally until I noticed the river wasn't freezing as it should). I turned it back on and the dorfs were still hot as hell, with predictable results, and while the game didn't crash this time, disaster unfolded as before.  The dorfs that had been through the bathtub all caught on fire and bled to death.  Unfortunately, one was in the main booze stockpile and another was in the main food stockpile, and said stockpiles were carved out of soil layer early in the fort's life so they were both nice and mossy.  Lots of booze and food burned, along with a bunch of wooden containers (good thing I switched to rock pots a while back).  The fire also spread in through some other mossy areas (like the MAIN DINING HALL), but I quickly locked as many doors as possible to contain it.  Unfortunately, I couldn't lock the booze stockpile down because some dumbass had a sock or something in one of the doors.  Luckily even though it wiped out 1,000 units of food and booze (both!), my food stocks are so extensive that I still have plenty left.  These fires though seem to have lit more dwarves on fire for added fun.

So most of it's over.  The big fire on the main level has burned into a workshop where I have it contained (luckily it didn't spread to an old clothes stockpile where there's lots of flammables).  There's also a big brush fire on the surface which is slowing the game down, but otherwise isn't a serious problem (dorfs outside tend to stick to the roads because of the traffic designations).  The death toll is 40 dorfs and 1 cat (didn't bother rescuing the cat from the food stockpile because I have plenty of replacements).  One guy lost his wife and 5 kids to this fiasco, and he's in a pissy mood.  The cooks might get pissed too, because a lot of legendary roasts got burned.  The bins that were in a block stockpile got burned to ash, so I've got big heaps of blocks just laying there, and I've probably lost a bunch of barrels (though I can easily replace those).  There's still some potential for a tantrum from a few dorfs which should be fun.  I also had to expand my catacombs by 30 graves, and my mason will be busy in the near future cranking out coffins.

On the bright side, even though the water in the bathtub has all evaporated, the temperature is back to a cool 10015 U.  I also have a spider FB trapped inbetween the inner and outer cavern walls, so once I get some fortifications carved, I'm going to use it for target practice.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:29:42 pm by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18931 on: February 11, 2012, 11:51:02 pm »

I've been enjoying a habit of heavily decorating anything and everything I have. I particularly like decorating weapons, but unfortunately the military uses those. here are some examples of things being used in my fort though :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not much else is going on. I just extended the personal rooms to house all the children that are growing up, which made for a possible back-door into my fort. I'm closing that as I type this.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18932 on: February 12, 2012, 12:15:58 am »

Greater cavern spider in the caves.   He's way off in his own corner.

No problem.

Five minutes later:

Reg Sarveshdodok, Weaver cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Interrupted by Giant cave spider.
Reg Sarveshdodok, Weaver cancels Drink: Webbed.
Reg Sarveshdodok, Weaver has been struck down.

What happens when you accidently dig into a dragon's lair?

Shorast Zonshameb, Miner cancels Dig: Interrupted by Dragon.

The beauty of a trapped entrance with a long drop pit on either side:

Also, a cave in.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #18933 on: February 12, 2012, 01:35:26 am »

I finally returned to Gravegranite after a bit of a hiatus, and am pleased to report that a Forgotten Beast managed found a way into my fort (I have absolutely no clue as to how) and then someone actually died, for a change! We hardly knew ye, Cook-Whose-Name-I-Can't-Be-Arsed-To-Remember.

Oh, and there was also an goblin ambush-related incident that took out half the dwarven caravan. Only half. Arrgh.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18934 on: February 12, 2012, 08:50:19 am »

Rainecho's FPS dropped from an even 20 down to 2 for no discernible reason, so while I ignore it for a while, time to start on that first megaproject idea I've dreamed up.

Loading up the embark, I can already see this may have a good deal of Fun.

There was a perfectly good stretch of flat space down by the lake, ponies.  You could have gone there, and even managed a wagon for it!  But no.  At least you did a nice job discovering the sheer cliffs I wanted on this embark, so that's good, I guess.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18935 on: February 12, 2012, 01:27:06 pm »

Returned to the fort after some time.... What did that lever do again? "Hey Urist, pull that lever, alright? Struck dow? struck down? why is everyone dying? oooooh, staircase filled with magma is slowly filling up the lower work areas.... Hm, Hey Urist can you pull that Lever again? Urist? Anyone?"

savescummed
Note to self: add notes to levers. Remember it this time!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 01:29:11 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18936 on: February 12, 2012, 05:09:52 pm »

My new fort just got a imigration wave. Among the 6 migrants were a family of 4. One cheese maker, one axedwarf (wich was promptly drafted) and two childs. Along the way into the fortress, they find a aligator wich proceeds to kill the wife (cheesemaker) before I figure out whats was happening. I send my only squad of 2 dwarves (the new imigrant(father) and a starting seven) off to kill the beast. The aligator makes short work of the unarmed, unarmored father and proceeds to chase the children arround, eventualy catching and killing the older sister. My other warrior finnaly arives and kills it with no problem. Of the family, only the younger child survives. He proceeds to tantrum and kill one of my wardogs and punch a war Sabre-Tooth Tiger arround a bit.

Moral of the story: Always bring more than a breeding pair of dogs. You never know when a random child will go psycho and murder one with his own fists.
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18937 on: February 12, 2012, 11:07:14 pm »

Another siege came, and this time it was handled much better. Hold together as a squad, funnel them in, and slaughter them mercilessly.

Then the dragon Amayi Ranofawara iroinira arrives! They can live to be 1000's of years old and crap. it's even blinking, which I take to mean it has some legendary skills. Oh crap. Wait, I want to capture a dragon! I can do this!

I order my military to pull back behind the couple of cages. Yeah, I put the "move here" order too close to the wall, and a couple of speardwarves rush around to the other side of the wall. They (of course) see teh dragon, and I fully expect them to toss around while they struggle to get a decent hit on the beast. Then before anything else happens, the dragon is dead. Dead.

and on this day, 24th of Hematite, 296, the Spearmaster Tosid Roofhollows "the Bronze Skins of the Void" quickly dispatch one of the more fearsome creatures in the world.

For those who like a dramatized and battle-report informed story:

Yay. Not much else. I expanded the walls some more, moved the trade depot, and I'm slowly training children to be warriors as they grow up, but nothing worth telling quite yet.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18938 on: February 12, 2012, 11:44:29 pm »

I'm slowly training children to be warriors as they grow up, but nothing worth telling quite yet.

Deciding to give Dwarven Daycare a run in this place? Or is that just standard procedure for you.

Random fort was brought to its knees via aquifer, since I forgot to turn the damned things off. I though it was just the murky pool, but nope. 4 drowned dwarves, 2 hospitalized from hunting accidents, flooded sotrage and mess hall, and guy trapped outside with giant badgers.

I really need to stop embarking in untamed wilds areas.

edit: Just tried to play genisis. Messed something up.
Didn't realize it until I embarked as a race of FBs. Poison gas venting fruitbats with antennae the size of a giant badger with no eyes.

I face-palmed when I noticed I accidently duplicated the dwarf entity raws. Gotta say, I wish they'd been dwarves. Civ selection showed them basically all owning about a 3rd of a large region world. To clarify, ALL the dwarves were replaced by different FB races. One was basically a bunch of angry snowmen with toxic vapors, the fruitbat things, and a race of emaciated fire breathing legless dimetrodons. Although it shouldv'e been obvious when I saw how well they were doing...

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18939 on: February 13, 2012, 12:03:25 am »

Deciding to give Dwarven Daycare a run in this place? Or is that just standard procedure for you.
More standard-ish. They're kept in the "don't be stupid" burrow until they become peasants, and then they train as military dwarves/pump operators. If they have the soul aptitude, they might later be allowed to assume other needed roles (the most obvious being hospital work if they like helping people).

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18940 on: February 13, 2012, 01:10:34 am »

Ah. So you went with a more human method over the stuffing them ina room with a bunch of livestock then and HOPING they don't emo themselves to death.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18941 on: February 13, 2012, 01:20:52 am »

I thought you cannot have metal image decoration?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18942 on: February 13, 2012, 01:28:49 am »

I learned something today.

This was an experiment.  I am satisfied with the !!Science!! preformed today, but won't be repeating this one.

Never mod your dwarves to have fire breath.

It ended badly.

1.  They could kill themselves by running into their own cloud of fire.
2.  Other dwarves are not fireproof.
3.  I had a monkey sneak into my food/drink stockpile, which was next to my wood stockpile.  Picture how this ended.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18943 on: February 13, 2012, 01:31:31 am »

Oh gods that was a lesson worth learning, though. I remember when I did that for my war animals. Every little rabbit that ran into the fort, a good portion of the population would get torched. :D
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18944 on: February 13, 2012, 01:49:08 am »

Ah. So you went with a more human method over the stuffing them ina room with a bunch of livestock then and HOPING they don't emo themselves to death.

Human method! HUMAN METHOD! I rage at such an insult, and my teenage dwarves could easily destroy such pitifully unprepared and useless creatures like humans, and without resorting to ranged weaponry, questionable training practices, or traps. Besides, dwarvish ethics specifically says that torturing for fun or knowledge is unthinkable - that's human thinking. Heck, that's goblin thinking, and we slaughter goblins :)

I thought you cannot have metal image decoration?
Apparently you can, as my weapons, armor, and clothing have plenty.

Edit: I love how you didn't notice the only kills with that sword were other dwarves :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 01:57:57 am by malimbar04 »
Pages: 1 ... 1261 1262 [1263] 1264 1265 ... 3842