Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1260 1261 [1262] 1263 1264 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099938 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18915 on: February 11, 2012, 06:44:36 am »

Major is currently tantruming since his friend died when he went Stark Raving Mad (strange mood, I couldn't get leather). Apparently he's throwing Plump Helmet Spawn so hard that they're bruising another dwarf's upper leg.

Uhhhh... Oh dear. This is what I get for having my dwarves in minimal conditions for several years.

Oh, he went insane. Well, there goes all 1 generations of Plump Helmet Spawn Throwing tradition.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 06:53:31 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18916 on: February 11, 2012, 08:14:07 am »

I had a wave of twenty five migrants. Then a siege. Two survived.

Then there were eight or so new migrants. And snakemen.

Beruaka, the High Gore, died. She had thirteen kills, but she got caught in the hills and swamped by fifteen Snakemen. Killed four of them, fell down a hill and was stabbed in the face by a pike.

I finally figured out that my archery squad doesn't auto-have ammo and fixed it. Now they are chilling out at the top of the tower firing at complete random at a few snakemen every couple of weeks...

Lumix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18917 on: February 11, 2012, 08:16:54 am »

Once, checking my dwarves status, A bunch of them were having absolute fits, i did not no why, My fortress appeared fine.

Turns out, Migrants started on the otherside of the river, and gathered up, and began getting mad that they couldnt get at my beer.

They should have just gone home.
I know it's fairly common but I killed 180+ people in his civilization before I went after him. I was kind of hoping for something a bit more substantial than a sucker punch and penis theft.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #18918 on: February 11, 2012, 01:11:14 pm »

Humie Diplomat comes while I'm at war with the humans. He goes down to my baron's throne room, so I send my elite marksdwarves down there. He asks for peace, I say no, marksdwarves headshot him. He brought a caravan along with him, so I dumped his corpse next to the depot, yelling
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18919 on: February 11, 2012, 01:29:31 pm »

-kersnip-
I discovered if you channel through floor directly above "magma flow" to place forges, magma bubbles up through the holes.   This caused much !!FUN!!.  Much more than the aforementioned troll, because the area I was going to expand my magma forges to is now filling with magma.  I'll seal that room off and use the floor above instead (and I'll have to wait for the room to fill completely).

That is odd.  Is your room under or very close to a volcano or a magma shaft?  Magma from the magma sea spawns from the edges, only volcanoes spawn magma by bubbling up to unoccupied tiles below the stable level.  I suppose I never preformed real Science on it, but that sounds more like magma vent behavior not magma sea.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18920 on: February 11, 2012, 01:41:02 pm »

It's ~50 tiles from the base of a magma tube.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18921 on: February 11, 2012, 02:29:34 pm »

Huh, perhaps it is a bug then, or maybe it happens farther from vents than I thought.  I'll have to be more careful with my magma forges I guess, after I thought I had identified the cause I stopped taking precautions.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18922 on: February 11, 2012, 02:45:19 pm »

I think if you're below magma surface, it's pressured like water and will try to fill up any avalable space. Only volcanos don't show this behavior.

I might be wrong though.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Guylock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18923 on: February 11, 2012, 05:32:55 pm »

Recent drama of Cunningtrade!

The 4th year has played out!

- migrants came and died, all 19 of them.. I locked them in a room so they died of thirst..
- a Guild leader of a modded race that I created arrived and roamed around my fortress for a few months, then left.
- 3 people died of strange mood aka depression or stark raving mad; due to lack of materials.
- one Artifact was made called the Jet Mug, which showed sum guy beating down a horse. (funny to think of)
- 3 dwarven baby boys were born.
- A Stupid dwarf was hunting and fell into water and drowned
- now has 10 champions.
- A Vile force of 14 goblins raided my fort with 8 being killed, the rest retreated and I was left was 3 dwarven casualties and one recruit injured.
(the 3 were non-military, also my first DF siege battle; since this is my first fort after all, most of my plays were in adventure mode)
- Winter ends with 26 dwarven casualties during year 4 and now 5th year since the embark has begun; which would be at year 8 now in DF time!
- Dwarven population is now at 77.

This year was pretty interesting I must say.. :P

« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 12:44:48 pm by Guylock »

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18924 on: February 11, 2012, 05:40:23 pm »

I think if you're below magma surface, it's pressured like water and will try to fill up any avalable space. Only volcanos don't show this behavior.

I might be wrong though.

Nope - it wasn't pressurized flow, the magma level wasn't dropping anywhere else.

Huh, perhaps it is a bug then, or maybe it happens farther from vents than I thought.  I'll have to be more careful with my magma forges I guess, after I thought I had identified the cause I stopped taking precautions.

Yeah I couldn't figure it out.  I was confused.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18925 on: February 11, 2012, 08:05:28 pm »

Spoiler: structure HFS (click to show/hide)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18926 on: February 11, 2012, 08:28:05 pm »

I dug out an entire moat and built a bridge for a planned topside greenhouse, with glass and all.

Then I realised I embarked on a mountain biome.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18927 on: February 11, 2012, 08:30:24 pm »

My game keeps crashing after my FPS randomly nosedives to 0.   This isn't exclusive to a fort and even happened during worldgen for a small world.  What gives?  RAM usage has been <400mb each time.

Spoiler: structure HFS (click to show/hide)

Yeah - when you're attacking a clown tent, you need to do everything you can before and after to boost your military's morale as high as possible.

I dug out an entire moat and built a bridge for a planned topside greenhouse, with glass and all.

Then I realised I embarked on a mountain biome.

Doh.

Sularus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18928 on: February 11, 2012, 09:05:46 pm »

I recently started playing again in preparation for the new release and i get less than a year in and my armor/weapon smith goes into a mood, and creates an iron war hammer (first mood of the fortress, and first ever useful mood). My miner kills a fairly nasty FB single handedly without infecting the fortress with its poisonous spittle (as far as i can tell yet). all and all this is the best fortress I've every had
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18929 on: February 11, 2012, 09:23:29 pm »

The fortress will survive.   The spear squad basically ceased to exist from insanity, only the captain remaining on her rocker after the whole mess, but the others look like they will pull through.  Nobody died in the actual fighting but heavily armed and armored tantrums killed the mayor and two of the spear squad, the rest went mad or melancholy.

In other news, apperantly soldiers can still grow attached to their weapons when batshit insane.  Must be the way the mayor's brain matter compliments the metal.
Pages: 1 ... 1260 1261 [1262] 1263 1264 ... 3842