Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1259 1260 [1261] 1262 1263 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100097 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18900 on: February 10, 2012, 06:30:13 am »

Tantrum spiral.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Turns out that the death of Urist McBieber throws even the most jaded dwarf into a fit of rage.
Four dwarves have been separated from the rest of the fortress to become "survivors".

What a horrific sight - Those poor dwarves are being made to live on the surface like common elves!
Every once in a while, you get the mad idea of running a surface fort. :D

On a positive note, the tantrum spiral appears to have ceased. Lost about 60 dwarves, but migrants even it out to about 40.
Time for some fort R&R: Work and Therapy. Until a siege comes. Cue next tantrum spiral.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18901 on: February 10, 2012, 07:26:14 am »

The Ettin Emofe Lesanacera Amanelata has come!  A giant, two-legged, two-headed monster.
The Axe Lord hacks the Ettin in the lower body with his *steel battle axe* and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Well, I now have ettin kibble in my refuse pile.  My military is now live and ready to fend off invasions, woot.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #18902 on: February 10, 2012, 07:52:17 am »

Goblin ambushers mercilessly butcher dwarven migrants.

Aaaand... The siege has come. Goblins hammermen mounted on jabberers. Fort is in lockdown.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18903 on: February 10, 2012, 08:36:44 am »

I killed a bunch of Illithid ambushers and triggered the Age of Legends.
My High Gore, Beruaka Shovelcinders, the Eternal Muscle of Ancients, just beat an Illithid to death with a large chitin cloak. I don't knwo where she put her dagger, but there you go...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18904 on: February 10, 2012, 08:48:50 am »

The human diplomat arrived. He wandered around, following our mayor, when...

An ambush! Five lashers and one elite crossbowgoblin. The two strongest squads are sent to deal with it; all is going well until a mace lord is lashed in both hands, losing his silver mace and his shield... May you rest in peace, Libash Yellowdagger the Oracular Elder of Binding.

The human caravan arrives shortly after, pursued by another ambush. Their guards are fighting desperately to defend themselves, taking minor/major injuries, so one squad is sent to aid them. The caravan merchants flee in terror, calming down only when the dwarves had saved the day.

Libash Yellowdagger is being taken to his tomb... Again, rest in peace, young dwarf. Libash was the third member of Limulunnos military.

Finally:
"Tulon McMayor cancels Prepare Lavish Meal: Taken by mood"
"Diplomat Stymied: A diplomat has left unhappy."

We do have a perfectly good countess here, Sir Law-Giver.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18905 on: February 10, 2012, 09:44:41 am »

Damnit, having a crash problem. :(
I'm using the fortress defence mod, and have just received three sieges in quick succession, beakwolves, jotun and tigerfolk. These three and dark stranglers are the only invaders I've had at this fort.
Now, the game keeps crashing at exactly the same moment each time, I believe it is another army attacking which causes it. The errorlog said something about 'Crundles' and 'Rutherers', and I realised I'd made a boo-boo when I made them tameable, a couple of wrong tags.
I fixed those, but the crashing persists. Is there an enemy civ which uses such creatures? Is there a way to stop them from sieging? Any way to fix this at all? :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18906 on: February 10, 2012, 01:35:04 pm »

Damnit, having a crash problem. :(
I'm using the fortress defence mod, and have just received three sieges in quick succession, beakwolves, jotun and tigerfolk. These three and dark stranglers are the only invaders I've had at this fort.
Now, the game keeps crashing at exactly the same moment each time, I believe it is another army attacking which causes it. The errorlog said something about 'Crundles' and 'Rutherers', and I realised I'd made a boo-boo when I made them tameable, a couple of wrong tags.
I fixed those, but the crashing persists. Is there an enemy civ which uses such creatures? Is there a way to stop them from sieging? Any way to fix this at all? :-\

I had this problem happen once.  I could not save my map, a LoFR mod game.  A human siege attacked the map, the game worked hard, the game crashed.  Over and over.  A little later, finally a season turned when the human siege came and the game did not work hard and crash right then - it did so several seconds later.  I gave up.

I believe this post identifies and explains your problem - possibly even offering you a way to solve it (I'm not dwarfy enough, but I delight in this tale none the less)  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=98077.0

Additionally, the calvary comes, though perhaps not soon enough for saving your map (or mine) - from the current development log, 1/6/12 - "fixed a rare forgotten beast crash which has undoubtedly scuttled various fortresses in the currently released version"
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18907 on: February 10, 2012, 02:25:58 pm »

just started a new fort named gatepage the axe. i hope i don't die from alligators
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18908 on: February 10, 2012, 04:46:46 pm »

Hillsacks first siege was really a sign of things to come. I've had two larger sieges since, and now I've condensed my spear dwarves and sword dwarves into larger squads. I've since lost two of those dwarves, both of who were on patrol and relatively alone when fighting. My patrol duty is thus suspended, and future ambushes (but more likely sieges), will be done in a more controlled setting - while they're training.

So yeah, that's where I am right now, and I'm forseeing a future when hillsacks will be a hill that's sacked. The name will be meaninful! Not giving up without a fight though - I got lots of steel, masons, and kids to train up as badass soldiers.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18909 on: February 10, 2012, 05:49:57 pm »

Lets see..

Worked with and managed to get my magma-smelting/forge area set up perfectly without a hitch (first time working with magma too!), it has 6 smelters in total with 4 areas for forges too.

Got another migrant wave in, taking my total upto 55 Dwarves.  Found 5 solid recruits to draft into my military, taking it upto 7 in total.

Had a semi-mega beast (A skeletal cyclopes) that proved to be good fodder for my lone legendary Militia commander.

Just in case, I'm going to prep my fort with an emergency front-gate magma dispenser just incase I get a titan that has those nasty dust/secretion bs.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18910 on: February 11, 2012, 01:23:13 am »

I have a troll wandering around in my stockpile rooms.  He's not doing any harm besides loads and loads of job cancel spam.  I suppose I should kill it, right?   Or at least find out how it got in?

Also, I got an artifact candy bracers worth about 900k dwarfbucks.  Yummy.  The mooded dwarf walked right past said troll to grab a piece of Candy, too.

I discovered if you channel through floor directly above "magma flow" to place forges, magma bubbles up through the holes.   This caused much !!FUN!!.  Much more than the aforementioned troll, because the area I was going to expand my magma forges to is now filling with magma.  I'll seal that room off and use the floor above instead (and I'll have to wait for the room to fill completely).

...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18911 on: February 11, 2012, 01:29:23 am »

Oh, Migrants.  *Checks therapist to see how many*  29.  29!
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18912 on: February 11, 2012, 01:43:31 am »

Initial magma plumbing framework installed. Clearing areas for burrow construction. Megaproject on schedule.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18913 on: February 11, 2012, 01:54:27 am »

In the middle of a glacier, so I don't have the infrastructure to support many migrants. So what does the Mountainhome do? They send me 20 of the bastards.

I draft ten of them into a squad and send them to kill every single zombie in a hundred square miles, thinking the zombie elk/moose/whatever will tear them limb from limb.

These unarmed, unarmoured, untrained people murder fifteen undead creatures without a single scratch. So I stuck them all under a drawbridge.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18914 on: February 11, 2012, 04:59:58 am »

These unarmed, unarmoured, untrained people murder fifteen undead creatures without a single scratch.
Next version should fix your problem. Horribly.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.
Pages: 1 ... 1259 1260 [1261] 1262 1263 ... 3842