Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1257 1258 [1259] 1260 1261 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099707 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18870 on: February 09, 2012, 12:06:53 pm »

After a very long break spent camping out in the lower boards, I'm finally back. And the first ten seconds of my new embark saw my ranger get ripped limb from limb by some of the alligators that are infesting the river, which I need to bridge to reach the volcano.  :D

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18871 on: February 09, 2012, 12:18:24 pm »

FFFFUUU--
I was just grinning in amazement to myself, thinking, 'Holy shit, I underestimated my dwarves yet again!' As my two best warriors, with two working arms between them, beat the shit out of those supposedly 'tough' jotunn. And I was expecting the 'charge wildly' option to end my fort right there...
Giant bits were just starting to coat the walls of the entrance hall in a big way when DF decided to crash. Most of the burning snow had gone out, too, and my FPS was back up to 30-something, so I'm confused. :-\
Lucky I saved before ordering 'em to charge! But now I realise it's 3:13 AM and I have work tomorrow... Guess my partially-lost DF addiction is back, eh? :D And here I thought I was gonna wait for the next update.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18872 on: February 09, 2012, 12:24:22 pm »

A bronze colossus is wailing away on an immigrant with a cloth hood.
The serpentfolk just bought their general with an invasion. The general is a dwarf.
Their law-giver is a demon.
I've got two unmoving caravans on the map edges. I'm sealed in.
This is going to get interesting.

Edit:
Two minutes later the colossus hd beaten the hell out of a hammerlord, destroyed half a regiment of serpentfolk and they fled.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:28:21 pm by MasterMorality »

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18873 on: February 09, 2012, 12:52:02 pm »

I've started a new fortress, and set the population cap at 10. After year 1, there will be no immigrants.

The only population growth will be the way Armok intended it.
Negative?
Sounds like losing fun!
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18874 on: February 09, 2012, 02:27:39 pm »

Turkeys! So many turkeys! Need more butchers/food stockpiles/stone pots!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 09:53:36 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

bobcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18875 on: February 09, 2012, 03:48:09 pm »

My militia captain was just possessed to craft a mace from the bones of his goblin victims.

The artifact also depicts the 'fall of the dwarf ezum Manorpaint from the position of queen in 217.'  Although it doesn't mentioned that she fell due to vomiting blood via FB extract when my last fortress collapsed.  Neat though; it's the first time I've seen a previous fort reflected in artwork.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18876 on: February 09, 2012, 03:50:26 pm »

I had an injured dwarf die just now because he was being carried to the hospital and the guy carrying him threw a tantrum...

And threw the injured dwarf into my baron, who was also killed.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18877 on: February 09, 2012, 07:04:55 pm »

Oh yes, Tombrabbits has another fine moment.

This goblin seige isn't normal.
What seems to be a normal pond and tree turns out to be... a treacherous game of challenge and death !!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Why walk right into a fort when you can enter it with style !

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18878 on: February 09, 2012, 07:12:08 pm »

Training up a n ew generation of pump operators/military dwarves, and they're awesome. Also think I stumbled upon the source of military obesity - alcohol. I switched their drink supply to carrying water only, and after only a few months their descriptions are no longer referencing huge amounts of fat. They sound... just... in shape.

The buffer zone for gathering goblinite seems mostly irrelevant now too, as I have one squad patrolling at all times. The most green of the legendary squads, IE the one where the dwarves still aren't completely immune to tragedy, have a larger portion of the patrols. I find that tragedy translates just as well from being attacked and slaughtering a bunch of goblins. it seems to be working, as they're all more or less hardened now. Awesome.

My leather is starting to build up, and I'm debating starting a leather industry, where I actually breed a single type of animal and use their leather in my items. having all my military having a single type of leather backpack sounds awesome. I need to import something. Cow? Buffalo? Buffalo wins, I'll see if I can import some. IF not those, well, recommendations are welcome.

And then Im' thinking of finally emptying out all these goblin cages from years ago. Good for goblins, that they're able to survive without food, water, or care, for years. It's actually quite impressive. Anyways, I made a drowning chamber that should work pretty well, and I stationed one of the more amateur squads near the stockpile. This should also teach us whether water gets through cages. Science!

and then, I also have a very large amount of steel I'm not sure what to do with. 130 bars free actually, but it's too useful to put into crafts of studding. All my military have pretty full (within reason) armor sets, and I'd rather not put on multiple breastplates or greaves on each. Oh well, good for military expansion I suppose.

Lets see.. the rotting corpse tower didn't work as hoped. Can I even butcher goblin skeletons? I know I've done it before, but I'm not sure of certain conditions need to be met first. Any advice on this? Dumping all that crafting/decorating material seems like a waste of renewable resources.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #18879 on: February 09, 2012, 07:43:11 pm »

I have a new little challenge I've set for myself, seeing as I have a good 300 dwarves in good health.  I'm going to mine out EVERYTHING.  Everything possible on the map.  And seal the caverns as I pass them.  All that will be left all the way down to the SMR is my fort hanging in this deep pit.  And yes; then I'll flood it with magma.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18880 on: February 09, 2012, 07:45:05 pm »

I discovered that despite being undead, the undead still panic and run when set on fire. They set the grass on fire as they run to the edge of the map which spreads into a massive conflagration that burns everything. This has opened up an idea for a new incendiary weapon.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #18881 on: February 09, 2012, 07:50:11 pm »

It seems that fighting on a field of cage traps gives Dwarves quite an edge in combat. Ringsilver's supply of caged gobbos has increased to 23. Once they've been properly stripped of weapons, they will either be pitched into the magma pool, or perhaps dropped into the area of the caverns that has a giant feathery toad wandering around in it. Maybe if I send them all at once, they'll manage to punch the thing to death. I'd hate for them to escape their death, though.

What do you guys think? Magma, forgotten beast, or something else?

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18882 on: February 09, 2012, 07:52:19 pm »

It seems that fighting on a field of cage traps gives Dwarves quite an edge in combat. Ringsilver's supply of caged gobbos has increased to 23. Once they've been properly stripped of weapons, they will either be pitched into the magma pool, or perhaps dropped into the area of the caverns that has a giant feathery toad wandering around in it. Maybe if I send them all at once, they'll manage to punch the thing to death. I'd hate for them to escape their death, though.

Drop them into your dining hall from ~20 levels up, make all of your dwarves immune to trauma.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #18883 on: February 09, 2012, 08:10:54 pm »

Drop them into your dining hall from ~20 levels up, make all of your dwarves immune to trauma.

Dwarves aren't traumatized by dead goblins, are they? Or are you suggesting letting them rot and filling the room with miasma? That might not be the best idea right now, considering the horde of giant badgers doing their damnedest to fuel my coffin economy.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18884 on: February 09, 2012, 08:15:15 pm »

He means to drop LIVE goblins from really high up, so your dwarves can watch them splatter on the ground. They need to see violent death to "Not care about much anymore."
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))
Pages: 1 ... 1257 1258 [1259] 1260 1261 ... 3842