Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1256 1257 [1258] 1259 1260 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099603 times)

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18855 on: February 08, 2012, 03:02:28 pm »

I've started a new fortress, and set the population cap at 10. After year 1, there will be no immigrants.

The only population growth will be the way Armok intended it.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18856 on: February 08, 2012, 03:06:45 pm »

I've started a new fortress, and set the population cap at 10. After year 1, there will be no immigrants.

The only population growth will be the way Armok intended it.
Negative?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #18857 on: February 08, 2012, 04:25:13 pm »

I just had a Dragon show up, and beeline towards a bunch of white tigermen. "Oh", I say, "This should be interesting!". Dragon saunters up, breathes fire while still too far away to hit anything, and promptly gets swarmed and killed by the tigermen. Didn't even inflict an injury. "Wow", I say, "anticlimactic".

Probably wasn't old enough to do serious damage :|
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #18858 on: February 08, 2012, 05:28:27 pm »

So i'm playing masterwork fortress you know.
With everything on you know.
All invaders, you know.
So i receive the pop up "vile force of darkness"
Fine, it's stranglers my military would like something to play with.
Two seconds later "a vile force of darkness appears".
Then again.
And again.
And again.
And again, and again, and again, and again.
I've got nine different sieges.
Tigermens, Two "mechanoids" siegers, two stranglers, freeze titans?, pissed elves, and two more which i can't remember.
In the caves instead i have an army of ants and one of frogmen waiting for me.
and wounded who need water.
we are digging deeper.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18859 on: February 08, 2012, 07:05:29 pm »

"Swordhearth the Home of Heroes" received its second batch of immigrants yesterday. Why the hell anybody would migrate to what amounts to little more than an icy cave dug into the side of a glacier is beyond me.

they're all currently on masonry duty, building a cistern that I'm probably never going to use anyway and will simply have to redig in a few month's time. but it gives them something to do. My lone miner was joined by a second one today (I originally had two, but one had a run-in with ice) thanks to the Dwarven caravan being lifesavers with a supply of wood and an extra pickaxe.

Zombie Elk have been making nuisances of themselves outside, but nothing special. I think next time I construct a frozen fortress I'm doing it where the biome is terrifying instead of haunted.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #18860 on: February 08, 2012, 11:21:28 pm »

Ringsilver's first death: The first expedition leader, killed by a goblin prisoner who she'd been locked in a room with. I was trying to earn her a proper title. Unfortunately, I didn't remove the goblin thief's inventory and he gut a lucky stab that severed her spine. The sick bastard just stood there, watching her suffocate. He was promptly recaptured, and shall learn the price of drawing dwarven blood: an eternity trapped inside his cage, sealed away beneath the earth.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18861 on: February 08, 2012, 11:27:36 pm »

imploded a mountain with a single well placed support. I feel bad for the next caravan that comes to this hole in the ground, they'll be able to see all the way down to HFS.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

smips63

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18862 on: February 08, 2012, 11:39:35 pm »

Started a new fortress today since I wasn't happy with the design of my last one. Picked a heavily wooded area in an untamed wilds surrounding. Should be interesting since I've always played super easy surroundings, however the game becomes a drag when on year 4 you've seen nothing but a few goblin snatchers. I'm breaking the fort up into designated floors. Floor one has farms, floor two has the entrance and mass storage facilities, floor three is housing, barracks, and dining halls, and floor four is all industry. After that is to be decided. My entrance hall is super long, so I'm going to have fun trapping the hell out of it. Outside has tons of trees and plants, but I may need to build a perimeter to keep it safe to venture out. Luckily I have already found coal and clay, so I shouldn't have to rely on wood so much.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:41:13 pm by smips63 »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18863 on: February 08, 2012, 11:49:58 pm »

Good computer shit the bed so I decided to mod the ever loving shit out of DF on this computer.

Current fort is progressing nicely, though until the dorfs start pumping out babies to make up for the dead civ, it'll be stuck at 18 dwarves. 5 of which are soldiers and 1 of whom for one reason or another refused to use a weapon. He's personally defended the fort from a massive macaque invasion, three full badger storms, and, because they were spooking my woodworkers, a unicorn. He's become attached to his cedar shield (a first for me,) and is also the only soldier without armor. And has the highest kill count of 23 animals. The rest have 1, 2, or none. Given my best soldier's skill, I'm wondering when he and his cedar shield will be able to face true fighters. Although he wont care if anyone dies it seems. After all the monkey and badger killing, he doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Also, using both modding to keep my animals all nice and safe underground without the threat of starvation and runesmith, I now have a captive unicorn breeding program, a thriving pig tail/llama/alpaca wool textile industry, and mountains of marble buried on a gazillion metric fucktons of clay and sand.  Seriously. I have so much fucking marble I'm making all my trade goods out of it that aren't made of macaque or badger bone. All I need now is a good iron source and I can skip the copper/bronze/iron tree and skip right to the steel.

Losthold shall become a shining beacon to all who forgot the dorfs of Everoc....
And if any of the world's Rocs shows up, them bitches is gonna end up integrated into my captive mythological creature breeding program. Especially since the Rocs killed every other mythical megabeast in the world. I don't even know how that is possible.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #18864 on: February 09, 2012, 12:05:07 am »

See, now this is why we build the Trade Depot outside the main fortress. Because when ambushes come during trade season, the merchants simply aren't interested in the goblins' bullshit. One Hammerdwarf in particular just dispatched three goblins singlehandedly, at first metaphorically, then literally, when the goblins smashed one of his arms to shit. Then... double-metaphorically, I guess, when they did the same to the other arm. Once the gobbos were either too scared or too dead to continue the fight, he returned to guarding the Merchants, horrific injuries be damned.

I wish I could have dwarves as tough as that guy.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18865 on: February 09, 2012, 12:14:29 am »

I wish I could have dwarves as tough as that guy.

So do I. Although deranged wood shield-wielding wrestler is filling the role nicely for me.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18866 on: February 09, 2012, 03:05:20 am »

I just abandoned my fort to due to hundred-casualty tantrum spiral caused by a siege. Also, a singular Axe Lord is responsible for transitioning the world from The Age of the Hydra and Minotaur to The Age of the Belch. Good for him I guess. He was also one of the three dwarves who survived the spiral.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18867 on: February 09, 2012, 10:12:46 am »

The metal bar clutter that was slowing my metal industry down to a crawl has been resolved by liberal application of bins made of said metal.  Military is now outfitted in hard steel and undergoing danger room training.  Life is still slow in Rainecho.  The dehydrated cow issue was resolved, it just took forever for the owner to haul his lazy bum to the pasture and water his cow.  So I don't have to worry about someone going crazy because they neglected their own pet.

So many peacocks.  Must apply butchers to the problem.  Peacock leather cloaks for everyone.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18868 on: February 09, 2012, 11:57:17 am »

I currently have an FPS of... 4. :o
Damned jotunn (giants) shooting fireballs everywhere, setting fire to the snow! At least they haven't charged into the fort yet, being distracted by the livestock, but with everything burning it'll be along time before things get back to normal... Just my luck, having the enemy giants, tigerfolk and beakwolves all allied with one another. >:(

I still remember the horrors that occured last time the giants came... There's no way I want to inflict that upon my poor, downtrodden dwarves again. D: At least we have water, but it's from the caverns... I have stationed the great Commander Inod down there to keep an eye out for giant toads trying to eat thirsty dwarves. Food there is no shortage of, thank Atir!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18869 on: February 09, 2012, 12:06:25 pm »

Damned jotunn (giants) shooting fireballs everywhere, setting fire to the snow!

Only in dwarf fortress can fireball throwing giants set fire to snow.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))
Pages: 1 ... 1256 1257 [1258] 1259 1260 ... 3842