Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1255 1256 [1257] 1258 1259 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099559 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18840 on: February 06, 2012, 03:05:49 pm »

A dwarf's mood is a numerical value.  Estatic is anything above 100.  Fine is around 0 while I think it gets dangerous down at -70 or so.  It is possible to have their mood well over 100. (I regularly see mood listed as 200 or so in some utilities) Happyier they are less likely they are to go batshit insane, as the negative thoughts just subtract from their mood.

So estatic dwarves are less likely to tantrum as it takes more big negative hits to their mood to get to the danger zone.  Whether simply smoothing everything will help with that I don't think so.  If the smoothed area is part of a room like a dining room or bedroom it helps, otherwise it's just aesthetics.  High value statues help even if those arent in a room, same with any other really high value objects you can place (artifact doors, floodgates or grates) as dwarves will get a happy thought from admiring them when they come close enough.  Waterfalls help too as they get a happy thought from walking through waterfall mist, good booze and food helps as well.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18841 on: February 06, 2012, 04:34:01 pm »

One of my military dwarves has a grudge with 39 dwarves in my fort.  That is to say, almost every non-military dwarf, plus one of the marksdwarves.  The only civvie that likes him is his wife, and the mayor and sheriff lack "grudge".  Natch, my legendary engraver engraved pictures of rats, which he hates, in his room.

I should magma him so 39 dwarves get a happiness boost.

A dwarf's mood is a numerical value.  Estatic is anything above 100.  Fine is around 0 while I think it gets dangerous down at -70 or so.  It is possible to have their mood well over 100. (I regularly see mood listed as 200 or so in some utilities) Happyier they are less likely they are to go batshit insane, as the negative thoughts just subtract from their mood.

So estatic dwarves are less likely to tantrum as it takes more big negative hits to their mood to get to the danger zone.  Whether simply smoothing everything will help with that I don't think so.  If the smoothed area is part of a room like a dining room or bedroom it helps, otherwise it's just aesthetics.  High value statues help even if those arent in a room, same with any other really high value objects you can place (artifact doors, floodgates or grates) as dwarves will get a happy thought from admiring them when they come close enough.  Waterfalls help too as they get a happy thought from walking through waterfall mist, good booze and food helps as well.

An artifact is +1000, based off everything I can find and science.  The strongest negative thought I can find has been "Has been attacked by a dead child recently" due to an aggressive ghost.  It appears to be around -300 or so, so it's a HUGE hit.

You just have to have everyone in your fort make an artifact and you're set as long as you're not making them sleep on rocks and drink water and go hungry half time time.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #18842 on: February 06, 2012, 06:00:07 pm »

I just got a wave of 22 migrants after the tantrum spiral stabilized ad 13 dwarves, 10 of which are children.

There is blood everywhere. This is going to take a while.
くコ:彡

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18843 on: February 06, 2012, 09:57:06 pm »

I've just replayed a 2-seasons old fort because I found out the ramp spiral doesnt comfort to the desired direction of the pump stack of a mist generator. Then after already deleting all the old files and reembarked, a second plan proved that it was optimal after all. I facepalmed so hard my face was bruised and my skull was shattered.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18844 on: February 06, 2012, 10:20:31 pm »

Right now dwarves do not actually do anything with clothing unless you create military uniforms.  I *think* that Toady is implementing economy again this update?  Not sure.

First I've heard of that.  I don't think he's doing that for this update.  He did a lot of stuff for world wide economy during worldgen, but nothing for the fortress economy to my knowledge.  It has a lot of work before it can be reintroduced from what I understand.

Anyway, I've been experimenting a bit more with relationships in my fortress.  While running a memory viewer / editor on DF.  Made a very small headway into figuring out how to force dwarves into relationships / how to get married.  That's the eventual goal.  For now I'm happy that I seem to have uncovered a tiny bit of how the relationship mechanics are stored in memory.  A few counters.  But it's a start.

The frustrating thing is getting two specific dwarves in a spot where they'll talk to each other.  Then I have to specifically know when they get a "talked to a friend" or "talked to a lover" thought, but only when it happens once (if a value gets incremented twice instead of once, it screws with my scientific method).  Much, much more work to be done.

Then the next version comes out and obliterates all of my work since the memory addresses shift around!   :D
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18845 on: February 07, 2012, 12:51:56 am »

Right now dwarves do not actually do anything with clothing unless you create military uniforms.  I *think* that Toady is implementing economy again this update?  Not sure.

First I've heard of that.  I don't think he's doing that for this update.  He did a lot of stuff for world wide economy during worldgen, but nothing for the fortress economy to my knowledge.  It has a lot of work before it can be reintroduced from what I understand.

Anyway, I've been experimenting a bit more with relationships in my fortress.  While running a memory viewer / editor on DF.  Made a very small headway into figuring out how to force dwarves into relationships / how to get married.  That's the eventual goal.  For now I'm happy that I seem to have uncovered a tiny bit of how the relationship mechanics are stored in memory.  A few counters.  But it's a start.

The frustrating thing is getting two specific dwarves in a spot where they'll talk to each other.  Then I have to specifically know when they get a "talked to a friend" or "talked to a lover" thought, but only when it happens once (if a value gets incremented twice instead of once, it screws with my scientific method).  Much, much more work to be done.

Then the next version comes out and obliterates all of my work since the memory addresses shift around!   :D

You may be correct.  I know the economy of adventure mode has been tweaked though, some of the goofball and problem issues being fixed - no more merchant pigs, for example.  I was hoping this meant at least some basic global economics might happen.  Would be fun to create a fort of around 10 dwarves completely devoted to feeding the dwarven population of the world with *plump helmet roast*s  Keep the fort going for a couple hundred years with strict population controls and see what happens in the rest of the world as dwarves never have food issues again.  Never trade food to anyone else, though you could trade other items from dwarves to other races.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Bobbias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18846 on: February 07, 2012, 09:53:54 am »

So, I've got close to 50 dwarfs in my fort after 3 migrant waves. Fort is 2 years old.

No leatherworking, glassmaking, clothmaking, soapmaking/ashery, or ceramics industry... Any suggestions on what I should get going next?

Also, my metal industry is just starting. Got lots of tetrahedrite, just found some native gold and just got some hematite.

Embarked in a relatively safe place because it's been a while since last time I played DF and I've never been particularly good in the first place.

I'm kinda wondering about where my priorities should be now that I've managed to keep myself from starving etc.

Oh, and I've got a pretty useless military right now. (Sorry for the huge image, I'm lazy)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18847 on: February 07, 2012, 01:01:20 pm »

Thanks for telling!
runesmith actually lists it as 0-(infinity, iguess?) but that aside, i forgot to say that my plans did also include engraving, because when you got everything smoothed, it also goes for the stone carving skill, so you'll have a legendary stone carver that can make masterwork engravings in the dining hall filled with masterwork thrones/chairs and tables.
The good thing about idlers, if i suddenly need a crapload of stuff hauled, i got quite some dwarves to do that.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18848 on: February 07, 2012, 02:28:58 pm »

An artifact is +1000, based off everything I can find and science.  The strongest negative thought I can find has been "Has been attacked by a dead child recently" due to an aggressive ghost.  It appears to be around -300 or so, so it's a HUGE hit.

You just have to have everyone in your fort make an artifact and you're set as long as you're not making them sleep on rocks and drink water and go hungry half time time.

Ironicly, water is how my fort died.
'ima make a well in the middle of my dining room/meeting hall!'
*digs tunnel straight from river to fort thats 5 levels below surface*
'wait, why is there water coming out of my well?'

I then proceeded to watch amused as my fort drowned.

Sorry for double-post D:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:33:50 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18849 on: February 07, 2012, 02:40:12 pm »

Somehow I managed to mod in native gold clusters.

This fort has so much gold I have stopped mining it in favor of other things and am paving over everything in gold.  And loling as my construction value skyrockets.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18850 on: February 07, 2012, 04:51:58 pm »

Somehow I managed to mod in native gold clusters.

This fort has so much gold I have stopped mining it in favor of other things and am paving over everything in gold.  And loling as my construction value skyrockets.

I really wished I had thought of that. I always wanted to just send bins Filled to bursting with gold coins back home for no reason, but never had the gold....

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18851 on: February 07, 2012, 11:23:17 pm »

I just had a Dragon show up, and beeline towards a bunch of white tigermen. "Oh", I say, "This should be interesting!". Dragon saunters up, breathes fire while still too far away to hit anything, and promptly gets swarmed and killed by the tigermen. Didn't even inflict an injury. "Wow", I say, "anticlimactic".

sirinon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18852 on: February 08, 2012, 12:05:58 am »

My fledgling fort is plagued by sea monsters which seriously sucks because Copper axes do nothing !

I just lost Eight !!!  dwarves to a sea monster.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18853 on: February 08, 2012, 11:30:45 am »

A new waves of management! The two teams of legendary spear dwarves are alternating  months of patrol around the edge of the fort, and I haven't had any problems with goblins since. i've been using that time to start managing the huge number of corpses I have lying around. I have two full time craftdwarves to put bone on everything I have, and 3 (soon to be 4) butcher shops also running all the time. I have enough farmers to handle the workload, though I'm sure this keeps them far busier than normal :)

The melting operations are working similarly. Most of the meltable goblinite is still forbidden for management, but large hunks are stored in stockpiles, while two wood burning shops are continuously making charcoal (and being supplied by my carpenter/lumberjack)

My exercise room (with 6 hand pumps) is now inside my beginners barracks where the pitiful militia trains, and I have several dwarves that are pretty strong now because of it.

And then to top off the good times, my mayor particularly loves flasks and silver. I have plenty of silver to accomedate, and an over-abundance of cheap leather water skins to replace. Oh, life in hillsack is good. Now I'm just wondering how close we are to a siege or something.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18854 on: February 08, 2012, 02:12:24 pm »

Another ambush struck Rainecho today.  An alpaca and the two watchdogs were lost before my military took care of the invaders.  Need to spice up my dodge trap, right now they just fall into a sealed-off area.  Hmmn.

A pet cow is dehydrating to death.  Not sure what to do about that one, aside from giving it a place in the newly-dug catacombs.

Aside from those issues, Rainecho is doing well.  It's a pretty slow fort, most of the engravings in the dining room are of the cook holding aloft some masterful roast or another.  Having a bit of a storage issue with metal bars, needs more bins.  I have nearly 5000 bars of various metals, and thousands more unsmelted.  I suppose I can start a giant pony sculpture on the roof.
Pages: 1 ... 1255 1256 [1257] 1258 1259 ... 3842