Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1249 1250 [1251] 1252 1253 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099761 times)

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18750 on: February 03, 2012, 07:29:15 am »

I just almost lost a fort. I went from a population of 73 to 7.

Not because the Goblins got in.
Not because I couldn't sustain myself.
Not because I couldn't defend myself.

Because the Goblins were standing between two and four Z levels above me, half a mile away, on a fucking hilltop.

Let me guess;  You forgot to lock the doors and the dwarves ran out to claim the socks of their fallen bretheren?

Nope, they just refused to drink.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #18751 on: February 03, 2012, 08:26:58 am »

Just saw a dwarven child BARELY avoid being crushed by a closing floodgate.  One tile back from where he was and it would've been messy.  Is it wrong that I'm a little disappointed he escaped unharmed?

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18752 on: February 03, 2012, 08:32:39 am »

Is it wrong that I'm a little disappointed he escaped unharmed?

That may be so, but we share your disappointment :(

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18753 on: February 03, 2012, 11:48:20 am »

Just saw a dwarven child BARELY avoid being crushed by a closing floodgate.  One tile back from where he was and it would've been messy.  Is it wrong that I'm a little disappointed he escaped unharmed?

Floodgates will not crush dwarves or, I believe, any other creatures either. If anything but water or magma gets in the way, they will refuse to close. On the positive side, they'll automatically continue closing once the obstruction is removed. If crushing is what you're after, there is only the atom-smasher. Or cave-ins. Cave-ins always work. Ha! Deconstruct THAT, trolls!

(No, it's not wrong that you're disappointed. I was too after I discovered the same thing in my first fortress, though that was more due to goblins being trapped alive in my crushing-ceiling room. NOT WHAT I PLANNED, DORFS!)
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Jimmy T. Malice

• Bay Watcher
  • The severed part sails off in an arc!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18754 on: February 03, 2012, 12:04:26 pm »

Currently preparing to let in my first goblin siege. My military got obliterated by it, but I reloaded the save and prepared better. I've locked them out with my drawbridge while I get my siege operators ready to fire ballistas and military in position, but there's just been an incursion of Troglodytes and Creeping Eyes from the caves, so I have to deal with that first.
Urist McDorf cancels Pull lever: not that bloody stupid

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18755 on: February 03, 2012, 07:13:00 pm »

Genesis fort progressing well. Forcibly dorfed my reclaim swordthunders group.

No-one dead yet. Both hapiness at this and disappointment.

livestock died in a fire. Didn't think bonfire would ignot surrounding trees.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18756 on: February 03, 2012, 07:24:03 pm »

Finishing producing steel for 10 shields so I can outfit a second "legendary" military unit.  One for the top, second one to explore the depths of the earth (of which I have yet to breech, too busy terraforming). 

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18757 on: February 03, 2012, 07:28:54 pm »

ok....
This is the end of Idbom "Rockhome", my best fort so far.
First, a goblin assault. Everyone is stuck inside...
I didnt notice the booze was running extremely low.. And i was making pump for the only single well of the fortress....
When the pumps were done, spring as arrived, but water kept frozen...
Then its the catastrophe; No more booze!
I quickly notice everyone in my fortress is extremely thirsty...
I quickly order my brewer to make the more booze he can...
Despite his effort, a dwarf already die of thirst...
then.. oh god..
One throw a tantrum...
and then.. TANTRUM SPIRAL!!!
the goblin siege wasnt even over, they wernt coming in the fortress (its because my actually trapper endtrance was locked.. lol im so stupid)
tantrum spiral...
Over 50 + pages in announcment of dwarfs throwing tantrums, then calming down, dying of thirst, throwing tantrusm again and all this.
I had 100 dwarves in my fortress...
I...
It was so sad but.. You know, i was loling like a baby with a shiny new toy behind my screen...
I had to abandon my fortress...
It was a sad (but funny !!!FUNNY!!!) day...
"I’m waiting for “Sausage Factory Worker 2011: Conveyor Belt Controller Edition”"
That's soon to come, im sure of that!

Just Cause 2 is like if Spiderman joined Al'queda.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18758 on: February 03, 2012, 08:55:28 pm »

After just over two years the elves finally show up.  The extra year of training (normal, not danger room), means that my militia has had 18 months to prepare. I have one Adept Speardwarf and three Professional Speardwarves equipped with copper spears, wooden shields, and leather amor/helms/gloves/boots going up against 15 bow elves and a spear elf mounted on his pet war grizzly.

So far, one of the Pro's charged in on her own and proceeded to own two elves before the rest of the squad could get there (didn't notice she had abandoned her post to charge until she had crossed half the 15 - 20 tiles between the station point and the elves).  Then the other three dwarves get into the fight, and two more elves drop pretty quickly.

A fifth bow elf just had both hands, left then right, severed by my militia commander.

In case anyone was curious, this is what happens when just after the second wave arrives you pick four random migrants with at least some prior military experience, put them in a squad of four and have them train continuously until Felsite of year 3 (started in 126, its 28 Felsite 128 now).  No danger room required, just four dwarves with the same gear sparring for approximately 18 months.  Oh, and none of these guys had Teacher skill when I started, but one of them was an Novice Speardwarf when she arrived.

Once the elven ambush is over I'm planning to make these four the trainers for twelve other recruits so I can increase my defenses.  That moves my military strength to roughly 1 dwarf in four active duty.

[edit]  The ambush has ended, with me the victor! (Of course)

Started on 27 Felsite, year 3.  The dwarves engaged on 28 Felsite.  The last elf still on the map died on 1 Hematite.

Four speardwarves (1 Adept, 3 Professional) in leather armor with copper spears killed all but four of the fifteen bow elves, as well as the war grizzly and the spearelf leader.  My losses were limited to 2 Stray Goslings, 1 Stray Poult, 1 Stray Blue Peachick, 1 Stray Gander, 1 Stray Doe Rabbit, and 1 Stray Hen.  Casualties include a number of other injured animals.

Of my dwarves, the four outside made it in unscathed when I changed the alert level, and my four militia members never took a single hit.  Just goes to show, if you give them six months of training with a weapon and shield, and nothing else, they learn to avoid being hit. ;)

• Ducim Ritholmuthkat (Mil. CDR), Professional Speardwarf, Proficient Shield User, Competent Armor User, Talented Teacher - two bow elves
  • Ducim Kodormelbil, Adept Speardwarf, Competent Shield User, Competent Armor User, Adequate Teacher - one bow elf
  • Sibrek Shagogdodok, Professional Speardwarf, Proficient Shield User, Competent Armor User, Proficient Teacher - four bow elves
  • Avuz Eraltathur Edanthosbut Logem*, Accomplished Speardwarf, Proficient Sheild User, Competent Armor User, Proficient Teacher - four bow elves, one spear elf, one war grizzly bear

Oooh! Avuz went up to Accomplished after his last kill!  She was Professional at the start and up to just before killing the last elf that didn't escape.  All of them except the militia commander had zero spear skill when they started training on 8 Limestone 126.  IIRC, Ritholmuthkat was a Novice Speardwarf when she started.  Since they have decent Teacher skills, they should make excellent cadre for the next group of recruits. ;)

* Avuz Eraltathur Edanthosbut Logem (Avuz Vesselscribed the Stirred Drill of Painting)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 10:18:29 pm by krenshala »
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18759 on: February 03, 2012, 09:49:45 pm »

A siege was going poorly, but still winnable until a troll just smashed a floodgate and my fort instantly flooded from high-pressure magma.

My first indication was a steep FPS drop and a few seconds later
UristMcLava has bled to death x60   
as the lava took inside of two seconds to fill my enormous, 3z high dining hall.  I really lava this.  And I have dwarves trapped in the bedroom area behind a set of closed doors.

...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18760 on: February 03, 2012, 09:59:53 pm »

25 migrants. Some are highly skilled fighters and doctors and will be very useful.

All others have been made into either miners, engravers or masons.

The elf caravan is imminent.
After some trouble with booze production due to the massive amount of meat and plant collection taking up every barrel, the booze level is now stable at 700.

As soon as the caravan arrives, I predict a siege will occur. :P

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18761 on: February 03, 2012, 10:01:36 pm »

A siege was going poorly, but still winnable until a troll just smashed a floodgate and my fort instantly flooded from high-pressure magma.

This was at a volcano, right?
Haven't really done many mountains yet. Probably will next fort.

One of my earlier forts had a similar experience with water.
I wanted to tap an ocean to get my farms going. So dug out area, lowered floodgates, miner went through.
The second he strikes that wall, the game freezes for, like, a minute.
Then, suddenly everything is 7/7 with ocean water.

The miner didn't even get to move from his spot.
I envision him being thrown back against a wall and drowning there.
(Not unlike this man)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But on the plus side, the ocean did drop a few levels.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18762 on: February 03, 2012, 10:03:25 pm »

Hillsack is progessing nicely (hey, just found out the name of my fort!). We're still hard on the cap of 50 dwarves, since I have the side goal of the second generation running the fort entirely organized and trained by the first. Still got lots of years to go for that one.

We have ~4000 in lavish meals, and ~1000 in well-diversified alcohol. The only problem we're h aving now is the control of ambushes. Ideally we'd have patrols occasionally to clear them out rather than just let them lurk, as I just lost an outpost liaison. Maybe I'll set up a route to do once every three months for my top group.

In the last ambush we were able to save the caravan pretty well, but more impressively was how we delt with one of the goblins. My first two squads are speardwarves (3 each), and whenI sent one out he literally ran past one goblin, which simply died as he ran. I had to look it up. Literally while he was running the goblin was just stabbed in the brain. One shot, barely looking, engage the next goblin. I've gained new respect for spear dwarves.

And before I posted this, I set up my first patrol route! Off to test it and verify it works.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18763 on: February 03, 2012, 10:05:19 pm »

I now want to make an oceanside fort.
Carve out a living space that lets me get underground.

Hollow out an entire Z-Level beneath the surface.
Breach ocean. Fill entire Z-Level except the fort.
Riddle ground above with holes in a checkerboard pattern.

Hilarity ensues as everyone dodges into the Great Dorftesian Basin.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18764 on: February 03, 2012, 10:20:05 pm »

I now want to make an oceanside fort.
Carve out a living space that lets me get underground.

Hollow out an entire Z-Level beneath the surface.
Breach ocean. Fill entire Z-Level except the fort.
Riddle ground above with holes in a checkerboard pattern.

Hilarity ensues as everyone dodges into the Great Dorftesian Basin.
Are you going to bother having your troops train swimming before the battle, or just let them learn On The Job? ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 ... 1249 1250 [1251] 1252 1253 ... 3842