Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1247 1248 [1249] 1250 1251 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099957 times)

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18720 on: February 02, 2012, 10:53:42 am »

Digging out the final block of the reservoir, I made the classic mistake of forgetting to pull the lever.
3/4 of my fort is underwater, but it wasn't particularly large, and the industry, on the second level, is fine.
So what we've lost is the tombs, dining rooms, hospital, individual rooms, nobles quarters and the main burrow and one farm.
My Law Beast, Ariqit, responsible for the slaying of a Cyclops early on, drowned. He was in the tombs when he died.

Two sieges showed up, closed the fortress down. I have most of my Thothgol alive and uninjured...
Two of my soldiers got flattened under a drawbridge. Unfortunate.

I can rebuild from this, it shouldn't be too hard. Just vaguely sucks. On the other hand I do now have an easy place to put wells...

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18721 on: February 02, 2012, 11:44:16 am »

Once when I was firing on a group of gobs that wandered into the killzone some siege operator decided it was take your kids to work day. I had taken special pains to make sure nobody got in the way of these things but the little bastard decided to stand on the end of the ballista and ended up with a steel razorhead right in the skull.

William Tell:  The Dwarven Version Gone Wrong

Not gone wrong, just the Dwarven Version.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18722 on: February 02, 2012, 11:58:13 am »

Fort died. Cause of death: Various things ranging from tantrums, to ambushes, and to thirst. And small bits of my own incompetence, but it's mostly the fault of the dwarves. No, really, if they had obeyed me better none of those three would have caused the death of my fortress.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18723 on: February 02, 2012, 01:34:38 pm »

I thought I'd give fortress defense a go, and started a new fort.

Had some great luck with moods. The artifacts are not terribly useful but I've got a legendary weaponsmith, armorer, and blacksmith. (And a couple of wood crafters)

What I've not had good luck with is invaders. Other than a couple of kobolds that have wandered up and been chased off by cats, I haven't had any attacks.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18724 on: February 02, 2012, 01:38:12 pm »

Had some great luck with moods. The artifacts are not terribly useful but I've got a legendary weaponsmith, armorer, and blacksmith. (And a couple of wood crafters)

What I've not had good luck with is invaders. Other than a couple of kobolds that have wandered up and been chased off by cats, I haven't had any attacks.

Wait for it........
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18725 on: February 02, 2012, 01:45:15 pm »

That's what I've been telling my military, the two I started with military skills have been sparring near the entrance for the last year and a half.

Logen910

• Bay Watcher
  • Biting people to death since 126,000 B.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18726 on: February 02, 2012, 01:54:06 pm »

I just destroyed the last fortress i created with the actual version. One big cave in giving death to about 200 hundred dwarfs, countless imprisoned elves and goblins, endless kittens, chicken and dogs and destroying the most powerfull and valuable artifacts ever created. For example a full artifact armor made of adamantine. Also, a artifact adamantine sword with over 300 kills. In the process, an open connection between the circus and the surface was created, so the clowns will spread over the land. Also, I started to pour an ocean into the circus before my fortress crumbled to its end. Imagine the aftermath to the world. Big climate changes, deserting great parts of the world and causing drought and starvation all over the world. Also, legions of clowns killing and enslaving all people.
The world ends with my fortress  :D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 01:57:15 pm by Logen910 »
This is a russian player. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with blood, death and pain and encircled with bands of bad grammar mistakes.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18727 on: February 02, 2012, 02:35:20 pm »

I just destroyed the last fortress i created with the actual version. One big cave in giving death to about 200 hundred dwarfs, countless imprisoned elves and goblins, endless kittens, chicken and dogs and destroying the most powerfull and valuable artifacts ever created. For example a full artifact armor made of adamantine. Also, a artifact adamantine sword with over 300 kills. In the process, an open connection between the circus and the surface was created, so the clowns will spread over the land. Also, I started to pour an ocean into the circus before my fortress crumbled to its end. Imagine the aftermath to the world. Big climate changes, deserting great parts of the world and causing drought and starvation all over the world. Also, legions of clowns killing and enslaving all people.

Will they really wander the land if you connect the surface to their lair?

Did your embark screen reveal goblin neighbors?

Darinford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18728 on: February 02, 2012, 03:01:16 pm »

Started on a 4x4 fortress in a swamp, 5x5 was being too harsh on my computer.    (aqueducts turned off)

Dug down to a magma pipe in year 1.  The embark has silver, copper, lead, aluminum, zinc and flux so far.  However, Year two began with the arrival of a forgotten beast made of black diamond with poisonous/venomous vapors.  I forget the exact details of the creature and it's wandered into the darkness so I can't see it.  Hopefully I don't accidentally breach the caverns in another area... 

The entrance to my fort consists of a channeled 3x3 connected to a 3x20 tunnel with a 3x9 obsidian bridge that gets raised to block the entrance.  In front of the bridge are is now lined with almost 300 large serrated copper discs 3x10x8 with 1x3x10 traps past the obsidian bridge.   If one is observing the top of the ramp while the goblins go down into my fortress,  limbs and blood spray up and out of the hole  :P .  Additionally a fisherdwarf entered a strange mood and became a legendary bonecrafter,  I took it as a sign that I should form archery squads and kill goblins with their own bodyparts.   I now have a modestly sized keep going up made of andesite layed out roughly like so

|D------- D|
|              |
|      x       |
|              |
|D------- D|

D being a 6x6 enclosure (5x5 traversable).  I intend to make it 5 Z levels tall Not sure if I should start fortifications on the 3rd or 4th Z levels.  Additionally there are four bridges leading into the fort which I raise to trap goblins inside the fort, something about watching their comrades limbs & guts fly up out of a mysterious hole in the ground causes them to run away.   Ergo I was forced to build a single file bridge / entrance out of the fort connecting behind my traps; the bridge is lowered only when the outer bridges are raised.   This way the goblins are forced to path through my traps if they wish to leave.

Looking forward to starting a military in year 3.   Hopefully some more goblinite will roll in so I can get some more steel, I am at war with them but they seem slooooow.

Also the map is absolutely covered with trees I'm afraid I'm going to have to begin paving topside to keep a path for my merchants/goblins open.  I've armed my woodcutters with steel axes and I'm setting 4 of them to start military training so that I can deal with the inevitable ambushes.

Will they really wander the land if you connect the surface to their lair?

Did your embark screen reveal goblin neighbors?

Start a new fortress seal it once it's self sufficient and let it run for 5 years, then abandon and check legends mode.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 03:02:47 pm by Darinford »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18729 on: February 02, 2012, 03:13:17 pm »

Got an immigrant who was a proficient speardwarf. Her name was Likot "Tallspear" .. I checked her appearance and sure enough, she's tall.

Fitting.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Logen910

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18730 on: February 02, 2012, 03:17:27 pm »

Got an immigrant who was a proficient speardwarf. Her name was Likot "Tallspear" .. I checked her appearance and sure enough, she's tall.

Fitting.

Too bad she was not a guy. Would have given him royal quarters and a few female servants :D
This is a russian player. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with blood, death and pain and encircled with bands of bad grammar mistakes.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18731 on: February 02, 2012, 03:38:02 pm »

Sexism against a randomized video game character. Cool ...

Logen910

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18732 on: February 02, 2012, 03:39:56 pm »

Dude, you know which spear I mean? :D

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18733 on: February 02, 2012, 03:42:29 pm »

Haha no way.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18734 on: February 02, 2012, 04:28:52 pm »

Dude, you know which spear I mean? :D
Guess she likes her spears tall.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 1247 1248 [1249] 1250 1251 ... 3842