Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1245 1246 [1247] 1248 1249 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099794 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18690 on: February 01, 2012, 12:12:55 am »

Fixed the problem.  I was right, surprisingly.  I had them laid out in 3x1 chambers as xrx where r was a ramp (x was an empty tile) so the dwarves couldn't get stuck.  Turns out the ramps are what caused the FPS to kill itself.  I removed them all, sealed the chambers back up and I'm getting a steady 30 FPS, down from 40.

That's bizarre. I wonder why the ramps made the game freak out like that?
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18691 on: February 01, 2012, 12:56:10 am »

There is a zombie troll stuck in my Magma trash incinerator that refuses to die. It even killed one of the goblins I threw in there and got a name Stokesm :o

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18692 on: February 01, 2012, 07:07:03 am »

Cyclops came, jumped down into the trade depot, amid two caravans worth of merchants, and got chopped in half by my Law Beast. First kill was a cyclops. Nicely done.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18693 on: February 01, 2012, 08:28:29 am »

A zombie gremlin tried to sneak into my fortress. Lol.

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
« Reply #18694 on: February 01, 2012, 09:06:00 am »

Hoping for a female minotaur so I can breed them. Going to make them tameable in the raws. An army of minotaurs for the arena I'm going to build.

slapdash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18695 on: February 01, 2012, 11:35:16 am »

ShowerCase is going well and there are many FBs spawning in the caves below.
I had made a tree farm and breached the 3rd cavern first so that it would first start giving me GoblinCap and NetherCap but it's taking a long time. Makes my main dining room very cool with rainbow colored chairs.

Going to start a Military soon. I have started harvesting Goblinite and getting my Flux from caravans so steel is on it's way. I got super lucky that a migrant came with professional in hammers/fighting/shield/armor use and he's been given a silver Warhammer and some Iron Armor to keep the peace in the fort so far. Which is really just putting goblins that have fallen 10 z's and still managed to move around out of their misery.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18696 on: February 01, 2012, 02:13:07 pm »

So I got attacked by Pukedromance the free embraces (what.), an Ettin.
I sent my elite squad out to the front gates to intercept it, ordered all secundary entrances closed down and waited. The Ettin is almost there when the first soldier shows up, my milita commander with her trusted artifact silver spear Stelidzulash (The washed pain).
I briefly considered pulling her back so that the others could catch up but it was already too late, she has seen it and was resolved to add this monster to her already impressive kill list.

The battle was beautiful. She let him attack first dodging and blocking him for 7 pages of combat, until she saw an opening.
She dodged with a quick jump backwards, charged him which he dodged, but that was exactly what she wanted. She followed up with a quick bash to his left lower leg, breaking it like a twig, stabbed his right upper leg, severing many nerves and then watched the giant ettin fall over. Before he could recover she quickly impaled his torso, drilling Stelidzulash deep into the beasts heart where it firmly lodged in place. A quick twist in the would and the monster was done, bleeding to death in front of her just as the rest of the squad arrives at the gates.

Kib Nefekzefon Zuntir Cos (Fancyfountains the Anvil of Cake), killing Ettins like a baws since year 695.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18697 on: February 01, 2012, 02:17:14 pm »

Aww, son of a...
My elite speardwarves were saving some dwarvish life, when I get the note ^^Elral^^, Spearmaster has drowned. When in the world do puddles develop (don't call 6-tile wide buckets of water a pond) with walls so steep that a dwarf can't get out of it. Granted, the steel armor didn't help much I'm sure... but come on. Well, gave my miners something to do I suppose, and now I have to put up a pumping station to get his corpse and equipment.

In other news, I'm getting close to walling in over half the map, and my mayor just got married.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #18698 on: February 01, 2012, 02:56:42 pm »

Second order of business in a new fort after digging temporary halls: dig several ramps into all water reservoirs.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18699 on: February 01, 2012, 04:29:50 pm »

Finally got my magma pump stack working, it took my dwarves about 6 or 7 years to build it.  This was also the fisrt pump stack I attempted to build and I couldn't do it small, nope I had to build an epic pump stack that ascends nearly 120 z-levels (magma sea is damn deep on this map)  But I didn't make too many mistakes on the actual construction, most of the problems were getting the channels dug out properly, waiting for the dwarves to build each pump one at a time, and setting up the power generation.  I'd link to a video appropriate for this moment, but I couldn't find any on YouTube showing volcanic eruptions with Ode to Joy playing in the background.

And it also utterly slaughtered my already pitiful framerate, and I'm using the 3x1 design as well with temperature turned off (I'm probably approaching fps death anyway).  Next time I build a big ass pump stack, I think I'll use some small resevoirs every so often as a buffer.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18700 on: February 01, 2012, 04:52:15 pm »

Which is really just putting goblins that have fallen 10 z's and still managed to move around out of their misery.

Don't you mean putting them gobos  out of YOUR misery?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #18701 on: February 01, 2012, 07:21:22 pm »

I finished my new surface magma defense system, but the goblins refuse to turn up to help me test it.  The one time I actually want them to show up...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18702 on: February 01, 2012, 09:48:10 pm »

Begun a fortress on Genesis. Crap is stupidly overpriced (I know it's supposed to be challenging but come on, a COPPER pick costing 120-something?) and didn't notice that until it was too late. Decided to dorf forum dwellers for fun. I plan on trying to breed white tigers if at all possible as well here as well. A shining beacon to all dorfdom, guarded by a reincarnated hero of old and white tigers.

Ancienthammers will probably die in a blaze of tantrums and goblin blood for the dorfing. I also plan on making my 1st champion be named Holistic Detective, for reasons DF players should know. Now how to get a dorf to use a random item instead of a weapon when a suitable candidate emerges....

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18703 on: February 01, 2012, 10:53:50 pm »

...I'm pretty sure copper's price wasn't changed in genesis, and that picks are always exactly as expensive as you say they are.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18704 on: February 01, 2012, 11:20:38 pm »

...I'm pretty sure copper's price wasn't changed in genesis, and that picks are always exactly as expensive as you say they are.

And for me, I just embarked in a freshly generated world with only some [PET_EXOTIC] tags modified so I could tame badgers... and copper picks were 40-odd points.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!
Pages: 1 ... 1245 1246 [1247] 1248 1249 ... 3842