Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1243 1244 [1245] 1246 1247 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099787 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18660 on: January 30, 2012, 08:16:09 pm »

I should try that one of these days...though it seems like it'd be hard to dispose of all the feathers...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Darinford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18661 on: January 30, 2012, 09:30:05 pm »

A few fatalities since my last post.  Most notably  I lost a legendary miner to madness when he failed to complete his artifact.  To my chagrin he was wielding a steel pick when he went bonkers, managing to permanently cripple a farmer before being dispatched by a sword through the skull.   

The elven caravan was ambushed by goblins and chased off, but they managed to knock one of the packs loose from the mule so it was not a total loss.  When the third dwarven caravan showed up a very smalls siege maybe 10 goblins showed up.  The two marksdwarves with the caravan did enough damage before they died that the siegers left. 

I have produced approximately 1,000,000 worth of large serrated iron discs; a little over a hundred.  I have them 7x3x5 on my main entrance and a few more by bridges etc in the wilds now.    I imagine the visage of goblins entering my fort to be somewhat similar to a certain level in Rise of the Triad.  The archery tower meant to cover the entrance to my fort is 2z tall now, I intend to make it 4z with fortifications on floors 3 and 4.     

In year 4 I plan on starting steel production, getting a glass industry going and prepping fortifications to stage an invasion of cavern layers 1-2.  The hold up is my axedwarves need time to train, so much stuff has grown in the caverns that my squads can't move without lumberjacks.  I intend to put glass floors above my stockpiles and main hallways to cure the cave adaptation that is setting in.  However my framerate seems to oscillate between 60 and 80 now, I'm going to begin trying to make the paths as straight as possible using constructions to see if that improves the impact of hauling long distances with lots of dwarves.

Apparently I have to tell the dwarves to pickup refuse outside the fort to get them to move the goblins off exterior traps.  Thanks for the advice.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:33:51 pm by Darinford »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #18662 on: January 30, 2012, 10:52:02 pm »

Had ah 'oh DUH!' moment when I realised an easy way to rescue dwarves that trap themselves in half-built pumpstacks;  Build a ramp in each exit area of the screwpump so they can climb out the intake space above

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18663 on: January 30, 2012, 11:51:39 pm »

Another death in Tinhammers, this one the oldest child of my Chief medic. Was working on rescuing them and forgot about them.

Many a dorf was upset by this. I'm starting to think I'm trying to to start a tantrum spiral without thninking, since I have more dorfs than rooms for them and everyone has a crapton of friends. On the plus side, the kid dying of thirst was what prompted thier sibling to save a ledgendary clothier, so a needless death was averted by idiot being too stupid to drop down and get some water.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18664 on: January 31, 2012, 12:27:53 am »

I have achieved a state of zen in my fort - I pierced the cavern layer, without actually piercing the cavern layer.  And I'm not quite sure how.  I think it has something to do with a ramp designated to be dug out that would've entered it from below  ???

sirinon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18665 on: January 31, 2012, 12:36:06 am »

Just Lost the epic fortress of Urnfight to a seige / Tantrum spiral  the events are as follows :

1 . Goblin seige arrives , dwarves are called inside and 35 Dwarf  army is assebled at gate

2. Gate is  Opened  as militarty are assembled inside in solid anti seige formation

3. a Demon ambush ( Genesis ) appears at the gate  drawing my Penal  aka Cannon fodder squads  outside the walls  and  they start getting slaughtered.

4. I send out my properly armoured veteran squads to dispatch the Demons quickly before the seige force arrives

5. another  two ambushes appear in different directions the formation is scattered and  the seige force arrives  and surrounds my remaining dwarves instantly wiping them out.

6. the remaining seige force and ambushers make it through the gates and too the rest of the dwarves hiding in their burrow.

the end result is 15 surviving and tantruming dwarves  out of 200 it was only a matter of time until they all died urnfight was lost ....

Fyi Penal squads = Squads filled with painful nobles / dwarfs that angered me  who are only given a weapon and minimal training  their job is to die while I pull other dwarfs to safety / re-enforce with proper soldiers.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:42:47 am by sirinon »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18666 on: January 31, 2012, 01:11:00 am »

I believe I may have mentally designed a fully-automated magma defense system that should make the frequent Goblin sieges quite !!Fun!!.  Now to get the bastards to leave the place alone for five minutes so I can build the external parts to it...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18667 on: January 31, 2012, 03:03:55 am »

Just Lost the epic fortress of Urnfight to a seige / Tantrum spiral  the events are as follows :

1 . Goblin seige arrives , dwarves are called inside and 35 Dwarf  army is assebled at gate

2. Gate is  Opened  as militarty are assembled inside in solid anti seige formation

3. a Demon ambush ( Genesis ) appears at the gate  drawing my Penal  aka Cannon fodder squads  outside the walls  and  they start getting slaughtered.

4. I send out my properly armoured veteran squads to dispatch the Demons quickly before the seige force arrives

5. another  two ambushes appear in different directions the formation is scattered and  the seige force arrives  and surrounds my remaining dwarves instantly wiping them out.

6. the remaining seige force and ambushers make it through the gates and too the rest of the dwarves hiding in their burrow.

the end result is 15 surviving and tantruming dwarves  out of 200 it was only a matter of time until they all died urnfight was lost ....

Fyi Penal squads = Squads filled with painful nobles / dwarfs that angered me  who are only given a weapon and minimal training  their job is to die while I pull other dwarfs to safety / re-enforce with proper soldiers.

In terms of a fortress going out, I gotta say that was epic to imagine in my head.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18668 on: January 31, 2012, 04:04:17 am »

Very much reminds me of one of my favorite fortresses I've created. In 40d, though. Goblin siege arrives with 3-4 separate squads, most of them from infront of our entracne, the other behind, which I was unaware of. Back then I didn't even know that drawbridges existed or that my 'pikemen' couldn't actually wield the pikes I assigned and were unarmed, but I still had the advantage of 40d's combat system that was heavily weighted in favor of your dwarves, so my 10 wrestlers held on and whooped goblin ass, chasing off the squads in front, all the way to the edge of the map. However, as they were chasing those gobbos away the other platoon swooped in on their beak dogs and slaughtered my military. I had two surviving soldiers, one horribly injured adn being dragged home by the other (died in his bed.) After that point the fortress went to hell, and I said fuck it and flooded the whole place from the brook. :D

By the time the goblins returned a whole year later there were only 2-3 dwarves left alive, one of them an infant floating helplessly in the flooded dining hall (but not drowning...) with the others up top. They simply killed the 2 up top and the baby died of thirst, which is funny being that it should have been drowning in the first place.

I'll miss those little idiots.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18669 on: January 31, 2012, 05:07:36 am »

Ghostcloister is currently in its 5th year.

Being one of my rare, successful fortresses, I feel the need to speak of it. Embarking on a volcano made an early metal industry very, very easy. A discovery of two large clusters of magnetite meant iron was everywhere. The expedition leader is now very skilled in the art of all forms of metalworking and regularly produces masterwork iron items.

At the moment, we're trying to turn our iron into steel and outfit the military with steel. The last siege group made short work of my poor dwarves and their lesser iron armour, thanks to their millions of crossbowgoblins. They'll see! The name 'Ngotoloddom' will be spoken only in hushed breathes and awed whispers!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18670 on: January 31, 2012, 05:30:43 am »

Can't keep this Panda fed, I guess we're eating it.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18671 on: January 31, 2012, 05:40:06 am »

Trying to work out why my FPS is diving to an insane 5-6 FPS down from 30-40 when I activate my fort's new magma pumpstack.  Last time I built one, I got a consistent 14-18 FPS.  The only thing I can think of, and it's a long shot, is that the fact that the 3x1 area each pump draws from has a constructed or dug-out upward ramp in it.  (Seemed an easy way to get dwarves out when digging out the vertical channels so the pumps could be stacked and self-powered)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18672 on: January 31, 2012, 06:38:08 am »

Trying to work out why my FPS is diving to an insane 5-6 FPS down from 30-40 when I activate my fort's new magma pumpstack.  Last time I built one, I got a consistent 14-18 FPS.  The only thing I can think of, and it's a long shot, is that the fact that the 3x1 area each pump draws from has a constructed or dug-out upward ramp in it.  (Seemed an easy way to get dwarves out when digging out the vertical channels so the pumps could be stacked and self-powered)

Because you're pumping magma around, every single step results in every surface in contact with magma having its temperature reevaluated in case the magma has left. If the magma isn't moving than that surface doesn't get rechecked, but... well, a pump stack that doesn't move fluid is not a pump stack.

Since it's a 3*1 hole, that makes 7 surfaces (One less for the pump) that constantly get re-evaluated.

Solution: Make each magma-holding room a 3*2 hole and have the pump above draw from the middle square directly in front of the pump. This will eliminate most of the temperature re-evaluating.

XX
XX==
XX

What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18673 on: January 31, 2012, 06:45:52 am »

There's no difference between the 3x1 (which I'm using) and the 3x2 layout from what I've seen on the magmawiki and forums.  Besides, wouldn't a larger surface area increase the CPU workload due to the processor having to check more tiles for magma?

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18674 on: January 31, 2012, 06:57:43 am »

Fighting on top of my trade depot will teach me not to build with white stone :P. This one is covered with blood and vomit.
Pages: 1 ... 1243 1244 [1245] 1246 1247 ... 3842