Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1241 1242 [1243] 1244 1245 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099244 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18630 on: January 29, 2012, 10:17:33 pm »

Yeah! Cleanup!
And a wall is being built around Limulunnos' lands so that we may control who comes in and out.

MountainGnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18631 on: January 30, 2012, 01:11:45 am »

Year six, still no military.  Importing of iron and steel is going slowly, so far the spiked copper ball traps have been holding off even the most determined siege.  Hopefully I will have enough iron once I finish melting all of this useless human armor down.  The goblins were nice enough to leave me a full set of 10 silver scourges, so I will use that as my first squad.  So far the closest thing to "armor" the goblins have worn is copper shields and helms, unfortunately they do bring iron weapons at times ( on the leaders ).  So I decided against an all copper infantry.  All of the ore I have found is in bar form, and the metal smiths have been manufacturing a lot of gold furniture for nobles rooms.  We just got named a county this year which is nice, and the baron is ecstatic even though we have ignored all of his mandates for billion items.  Next up I make some billion so I can satisfy mandates ( really, he's an easy going baron, don't export high boots and make billion items.  I have a ton of gold and the goblin's silver daggers have left me with about 50 bars of silver ).

The main priority right now is a decent military so I can start above ground constructions as needed.  My miners are on auto pilot just engraving the entire fortress, and when that is done I start digging around the first cavern layer to try and get to either iron, or just straight to candy.  I have more than enough leather from trading with the humans, so the fortress police can just run around layered up in leather with shields and ( eventually ) candy warhammers.  Digging out the prison is also needed, engraved and build with gold chains I should be able to keep the dwarves stuck in there happy enough.

Lastly, operation kill the chickens to save my FPS has succeeded in returning 10 FPS to my fortress, bringing me up to a solid 50 with 10 idle dwarves, and 80 when the haulers are all sitting around having parties.  I need to mark out traffic designations to try and combat it some more, but I think what I have now is fairly good for over 150 dwarves.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18632 on: January 30, 2012, 01:15:57 am »

Hehe. My countess is for the most part easy to deal with. "Don't export Spoilerite." That's okay, I don't want to. "Make three Spoilerite items." Queued up before you asked, m'lady.
"Make me a bat leather item please."

We don't have bats.
Or any bat leather.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18633 on: January 30, 2012, 03:25:43 am »

My Duke only asks for Pig Iron, which I'm producing constantly, and 1-3 Ballista Bolts. The mayor is slightly more difficult with Rose Gold items, and (shudder) large gems.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18634 on: January 30, 2012, 03:27:48 am »

- snip -

Psssst. Candy war hammers are like those inflatable hammers you get at fairs. The look cool, but are completely useless. You need heavy material for good hammers. Try silver. Or platinum.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

MountainGnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18635 on: January 30, 2012, 03:58:10 am »

- snip -

Psssst. Candy war hammers are like those inflatable hammers you get at fairs. The look cool, but are completely useless. You need heavy material for good hammers. Try silver. Or platinum.

Yar, that's why I like to give them to my dwarves who get put on patrol duty and my sheriff/hammerer.  Wiffle bat the wrong doers into submission, then drag them off into chains.  Usually have a total of 5 dwarves who do that.  I have an issue with tantrums.

Speaking of issues with tantrums, my fort just died to a tantrum spiral  :'(. Dug into cavern layer 2 looking for iron, found iron!  Also found blind cave ogres who charged into my fort killing a couple dwarves before my ragtag wrestler militia and war dogs took them down.

The events that transpired:

1) Cave ogres kill mayor and book keeper, friends of Urist McTantrum. ( At least one of them was, but with how fast he went from ecstatic to tantrum I am assuming both ).
2) Urist McTantrum throws a tantrum!  Destroying several masterwork items I have sitting around.
3) Urist McMason throws a tantrum because he's really sad now, friends with the mayor and his stuff is gone time to break this door holding the magma back! ( forgot to forbid the stupid door ).
Side Note) I really, really need to stop with the magma based emergency siege destroyers.  But I can't help myself.
4) All the dwarves carting in looted goblin garbage from the pit trap are now covered in magma, 30ish dwarves die.
5) Everyone is unhappy, all their friends died, wives died, husbands died, children died.  The end is here.
6) Mass hysteria, panic on a fortress wide scale.
7) I give up and order the lever to be pulled.  The fortress is now flooding with magma from the top down, booze is vaporizing and food is burning ( I may have made an excess of food in this fort.  More than 5k drink and prepared food for 150 dwarves. )

Next time, I start burrowing earlier than I usually do.  And I get a militia up and running faster.  I would have normally had armed dwarves waiting at the top of the new mine shaft incase I broke through and needed to kill something.  But a lack of anything but copper make me reckless.  I should have just made copper weapons and armor, at least temporarily, copper would be fine for killing misc. cave dwellers.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18636 on: January 30, 2012, 09:33:37 am »

This is probably the only game where I'll have to mobilize my army to take down a goose.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18637 on: January 30, 2012, 10:08:30 am »

This is probably the only game where I'll have to mobilize my army to take down a goose.
Hey, don't laugh at the geese. They can hurt, even in real life. We have Canada geese on our campus, and if one of those big featherbags is trying to protect a nest, she'll leave you with bruises. Sometimes even without the nests involved. I swear they've decided to claim the walkway behind the engineering building as their turf.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18638 on: January 30, 2012, 10:17:38 am »

Speaking of issues with tantrums, my fort just died to a tantrum spiral  :'(.

See? See?! This is why you need a properly armed Fortress Guard! Once the rioting starts, there's no stopping it bar an sword/axe/hammer to the lower spine! *sagenod* See, here in Earthspirals I just arm my law enforcement with whatever half-decent weapons are lying around unused; if some foolish dwarf breaks a door or attacks one of my favourite dwarves, they deserve whatever they get! :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #18639 on: January 30, 2012, 10:27:30 am »

Speaking of issues with tantrums, my fort just died to a tantrum spiral  :'(.

See? See?! This is why you need a properly armed Fortress Guard! Once the rioting starts, there's no stopping it bar an sword/axe/hammer to the lower spine! *sagenod* See, here in Earthspirals I just arm my law enforcement with whatever half-decent weapons are lying around unused; if some foolish dwarf breaks a door or attacks one of my favourite dwarves, they deserve whatever they get! :P
*sniffs* ahhhh, smell that martial law.

Wurgel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18640 on: January 30, 2012, 10:45:27 am »

Strangulation... lots and lots of Strangulation.

Early Werewolf-siege brought me down to 3 dorfs. The expedition leader gets strangulated by a named Werewolf for over a season now.

Looks like he will die from dehydration before he dies through strangulation, while the rest of the Werewolfs having there fun in my bedroom, living their happy life between my booze-barrels.

Darinford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18641 on: January 30, 2012, 10:46:12 am »

A minotaur showed up and started chasing after my hunters, my legendary swordsdwarf laid some serious smack down on his ass even with his pathetic copper starter sword.  However, the minotaur still managed to break a hunterdwarfs ankle.

Shortly after the second dwarven caravan left, an ambush started with about 4-6 goblin archers who popped above the entrance to my fortress.  Sadly this meant that everybody outside would path into the fort then run away as soon as they approached.  With 4 dwarves stuck outside I felt I had to send my militia out, I matched the gobbo's dwarf for gobbo, and they obliterated my legendary speardwarf before being chased off.    Then two groups of around half a dozen goblin axemen/lashers popped out; one group knocked a fisherdwarf into the stream and the other chasing the rest of my dwarves into the fort.  One group of axemen was obliterated by my large serrated disc traps;  I believe one made it off the map somehow while missing all but one of his limbs.  They finished off a wounded dwarf who was waiting to be rescued. 

The goblins that knocked the fisherdwarf into the river have stayed at the river.  There's about six of them standing there not pathing to my fort,  so I've ordered the fort sealed until the next caravan comes.

All told I've lost 3 of 51 dwarves to this ambush with a fourth badly wounded; my legendary  swordsdwarf is now at 37 happiness since he lost his sparring buddy.  If he goes off there goes the fort.   My smiths continue to pump out large serrated discs and I am now planning on building an archery tower near the entrance to my fort to deal with those bloody archer gobbo's.   

On another note I've ordered the goblin corpses laying on my traps dumped; however the dwarves don't seem to want to move them. 

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18642 on: January 30, 2012, 10:51:24 am »

Check whether the corpses are forbidden; check the Orders menu to make sure they are allowed to gather corpses; check whether the dwarves can access the corpses and the dump site (burrows, forbidden doors/hatches, newly built walls, etc.); and make sure there are free dwarves with hauling turned on.

Lord Herman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18643 on: January 30, 2012, 11:13:03 am »

Probably as a result of a forgotten beast spraying its bodily fluids all over the fort, my dorfs are all getting sick, and now there's a bit of a vomit spill going on, growing bigger and bigger and covering /everything/.

Is this what they mean by 'going green'?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18644 on: January 30, 2012, 11:16:45 am »

Probably as a result of a forgotten beast spraying its bodily fluids all over the fort, my dorfs are all getting sick, and now there's a bit of a vomit spill going on, growing bigger and bigger and covering /everything/.

Is this what they mean by 'going green'?
When referring to dwarves, it is. :P Hey, it's better than going blue and dead from lack of oxygen in a water-pumping accident...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 1241 1242 [1243] 1244 1245 ... 3842