Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1237 1238 [1239] 1240 1241 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099695 times)

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18570 on: January 27, 2012, 03:19:00 am »

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18571 on: January 27, 2012, 03:36:15 am »

Also the game segfaulted after I designated, dug, and emptied the rocks out of a pump stack from the alpha cavern to the surface and had a siege. Save the game every month folks. 

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18572 on: January 27, 2012, 03:36:48 am »

He looks a little warm. Cool him off with a shower? And, he likes expansive things. Make it a MAGMA shower!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #18573 on: January 27, 2012, 05:18:53 am »

I'm halfway-done with building the water reactor for my new fortress.  The best part?  Once it's started, it won't be stoppable.  What fun it shall be!

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18574 on: January 27, 2012, 05:40:49 am »

I'm halfway-done with building the water reactor for my new fortress.  The best part?  Once it's started, it won't be stoppable.  What fun it shall be!

I wonder if Toady will ever build in consiquences for generating nuclear reactor levels of power that never stop increasing. Like an explosion turning your hole in the ground into a crater in the ground
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18575 on: January 27, 2012, 06:32:05 am »

I wonder if Toady will ever build in consiquences for generating nuclear reactor levels of power that never stop increasing.
When he make Power generated scale with power source. Waterwheels will run faster if the supplied water run faster, which mean it'd keep running faster until you get an int overflow, crashing the whole fortress. So bug exploiters have to tear down their reactors and rebuild to "cool" down the water.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18576 on: January 27, 2012, 07:58:11 am »

I wonder if Toady will ever build in consiquences for generating nuclear reactor levels of power that never stop increasing. Like an explosion turning your hole in the ground into a crater in the ground

I'm now sitting on a constant, unstoppable, 19,200uW of power as I finished and started the reactor.  Suppose I should go think of something to do with it.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #18577 on: January 27, 2012, 08:10:18 am »

I honestly don't think there's anything you can build that could possibly need that much power. Even a pump stack for magma won't ever need more than 1500 to 2000 Urists.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18578 on: January 27, 2012, 08:17:37 am »

I honestly don't think there's anything you can build that could possibly need that much power. Even a pump stack for magma won't ever need more than 1500 to 2000 Urists.

I'll admit, it was mostly a "because I could" thing.  I'm currently having the dwarves dig out a series of corridors spanning an unused level off the man staircase.  Going to make it an overly-large and complex layout of axles, gearboxes and switches so that I can divert power to whatever endeavors amuse me in future deeper levels of the fort

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18579 on: January 27, 2012, 10:02:06 am »

I can't trade with anything right now. My fort is down to 28. Every time traders show up they ambushed, sieged and killed off. I can lower my drawbridge for about five minutes after the siegers leave and wham, more ambush, more siege. I don't have the military to deal with this right now.

Luckily, I seem to be able to eat and drink without problem. The caverns are open and surprisingly uneventful, so I can cut wood, grab plants for drinks and fuel. My dogs are breeding like rabbits, so I can butcher them from here to kingdom come and they don't iminish. Also peachicks. God damn they're everywhere. Butcher butcher butcher.

Two of my kids grew up to be adults. Amazing. Both got drafted into the military. My head guy died and the first kid, ten years old, got promoted to overseer. Well damn. We have a ten year old sitting the thrown of Stolengrowls.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18580 on: January 27, 2012, 10:06:43 am »

My waterfall system is horribly inefficient.  It's only 5 z-levels tall, but it takes more than 450 U of power to run.  It's probably due to using three pumps together on each level, along with far too many gear assemblies and axles.  Each level of pumps has at least two gear assemblies and an axle, because I didn't want to have all my pumps hanging.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18581 on: January 27, 2012, 11:02:43 am »

Oh dear. A force of giants have arrived on the doorstep, and somehow walked right through our few traps with no difficulty. (I'm assuming this is a bug with FD mod) Well, it's time to rally the troops, but I doubt we shall make it through this one... My greatest regret is that Eral Roldethathod Ennol Elbel shall never reach the level of reknown she deserved. Well, let's see if we can't take some of these oversized brutes down with us, eh?!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Hybrid

• Bay Watcher
  • Strife M.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18582 on: January 27, 2012, 11:51:33 am »

Woah. Made it through my first 2 goblin snatchers now. Both of them got detected quite fast due to the pestured animals outside and because I had a dwarf working on a marble wall outside. The one who was working on the wall got stabbed in the foot, but he seems to be doing quite well now. Both of the snatchers made it away before my squad could get to them. Oh well...

Speaking about the military, one of my dwarfs just "upgraded" to an axedwarf. Just gotta equip him with the real deal now.

Got visited by a dwarven caravan along with the liason. I got a small, nice ammount of metal which I traded for my crafts. After that another trade doccument was made and the caravan left. Right now I`m making more crafts. And making a larger stockpile for these crafts and other things, too.

And, as the last thing to mention, I put in a floodgate along with a switch for it, made a way for the water to flow from the river and a well. Unfortunately, the winter came in and the river froze. Gonna test out the floodgate during spring or so.

Henrik Undrgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18583 on: January 27, 2012, 12:10:27 pm »

Started a new fort.Game paused on start to announce that a section of cavern had collapsed and then went on to describe a huge range of different rock and metals including adamantine.It seems two pools of water were beside the top of the volcano causing obsidian blocks to fall the lenght of the funnel discovering everything on the way down. :D Bad side was i spent the first year channelling water away from the volcano to prevent it being completely sealed off because rainfall is pretty regular.Cant find iron for some reason  ???, odd that.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I did lose two dwarves during the volcano crisis.One of them was one of the starting seven and a  legendery miner.Both bodies were unrecoverable :'(.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:14:24 pm by Henrik Undrgrim »

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18584 on: January 27, 2012, 01:52:14 pm »

I've assigned my citizens to a "don't be dumb" alert until further notice, which limits where they are allowed to go. The ambush problem killed a caravan person, and I lost a couple dwarves in reclaiming some junk. I'm trying to grow my fort through children rather than immigrants too, which makes every life far more valuable. What also makes every life more valuable? steel. All I have is tetrahedrite here, and copper armor studded with billon isn't going to cut it forever.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...
Pages: 1 ... 1237 1238 [1239] 1240 1241 ... 3842