Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1232 1233 [1234] 1235 1236 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100233 times)

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18495 on: January 24, 2012, 02:05:40 pm »

I'm thinking of the ancient Romans and how they would parade captured enemies through the streets of Rome after a victory. While we can't "parade" in game, I am thinking of creating a hall where all my citizens can see the panoply of captured bad guys. Maybe one or two each of centaur, goblin, demon of pain/lust, lizardman, scavenger, beastman.

I'm only hesitant because I know that zoos give bad thoughts to dwarves that don't like the particular animal on display and I wouldn't want any of my guys to get bad thoughts due to seeing an enemy, which I don't know if they do or not.

The rest will go into the pit. 15z levels this time. I'm very proud of it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18496 on: January 24, 2012, 02:20:23 pm »

added a pit trap to a cage funnel. I usually use it on wildlife, but I realized that if a goblin captain would run into one it'd cause the rest to hang around forever. Now I can drop them 15 z-levels
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18497 on: January 24, 2012, 02:29:22 pm »

Just had a promising swordsdwarf meet the famous adventurer's end of dodging into a murky pool and drowning. Thanks skeletal moose cow. Setting up a pump to salvage his body and gear which would be a gross job irl, all moist body parts clogging the pump and clinging to the armor.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18498 on: January 24, 2012, 02:46:39 pm »

Honestgrave didn't last long.

Volcano, flux and metals, just no trees, despite the starting screen STRONGLY suggesting there was.  So I tunnel down 37 levels to the caverns (3 beds aren't enough for 15 dwarves), and am immediately attacked by a succession of wandering beasts.  Every time I breached the cavern, even for a moment, something large and dangerous wandered in...

So now on with Puzzledworks, the next sacrifice.  Will probably have trees but no flux...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18499 on: January 24, 2012, 03:14:19 pm »

the flux detector is off anyway, so you'll never know
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18500 on: January 24, 2012, 04:27:41 pm »

Attacked by GDS, Camels and Giant Eagles, along with HFS and intentional river flooding.

Theonefreerunner

• Bay Watcher
  • The one who runs free
    • View Profile
« Reply #18501 on: January 24, 2012, 06:11:07 pm »

I just lost my legendary axe dwarf. Not to battle or magma. The git fell asleep while wandering the caverns and got eaten by a croc. Now his friends are upset.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18502 on: January 24, 2012, 06:38:23 pm »

Agh, third FB came to visit, again through the caverns, and again the antmen killed it. They are going to fry!

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18503 on: January 24, 2012, 06:52:40 pm »

Siege over, all but two goblins have been captured and are being transported to a holding area until they can be properly stripped.
Four injuries total to my dwarves do to the stupidity of an engraver and beserker charges.
Just discovered that I have no soap.  Luckily I have plenty of tallow and potash already made, so its just a matter of getting a dorf to do it.
Agh, third FB came to visit, again through the caverns, and again the antmen killed it. They are going to fry!
What kind of FBs have you been getting?
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18504 on: January 24, 2012, 08:44:44 pm »

Took a short break from DF, just started a new fortress and I have surface magnetite, and hematite, and galena.. and the site finder mentioned flux, So I'm pretty happy with this site. it's 3x4 and I decided to make a shallow fort, basically the entire thing is going to be inside the mountain, so that the lowest main floor of the fortress will be on the lowest above-ground point on the map...

I'm not going to use any magma stuff as a result (no volcano, and I don't like fussing with pump stacks), but there is an abundance of trees so that won't be a problem. 

HunterG24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18505 on: January 24, 2012, 09:51:59 pm »

First time posting, long time lurker.

Have played before but am only now settling down for a long haul fort. My mega project will be to last for as long as possible. To that end I've been trying to get everything moved to the future stockpiles.

I've been carving out the apartment blocks when I noticed the majority of the stone I am mining is magnetite. Not being familiar with the various ores I went on about my business and completed the apartment block. Then I checked the wiki to figure out what magnetite was... I shit bricks when I found out my entire apartment block was iron ore. I find myself in the frustrating position of either letting all that iron remain as walls to the apartment block, or tearing it all down and replacing it with stone walls. Worse comes when I move to my stockpile/workshop level to make a stockpile for magnetite... only to find the space which I was carving out for the stockpile IS magnetite.... I know this is a good thing but this early in the fort I find it's too much of a good thing... No smelter yet. No flux for steel making.

My dwarfs keep trying to use the magnetite to create Stone Crafts! AGH!

And to think, the !!FUN!! hasn't even started yet.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18506 on: January 24, 2012, 10:13:47 pm »

Bydefault magnetite should be considered an 'economic' stone, if it's not you can mark it as such from the z -> stone menu, this will prevent it from being used for crafts or furniture, etc.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18507 on: January 24, 2012, 10:15:12 pm »

First time posting, long time lurker.

Have played before but am only now settling down for a long haul fort. My mega project will be to last for as long as possible. To that end I've been trying to get everything moved to the future stockpiles.

I've been carving out the apartment blocks when I noticed the majority of the stone I am mining is magnetite. Not being familiar with the various ores I went on about my business and completed the apartment block. Then I checked the wiki to figure out what magnetite was... I shit bricks when I found out my entire apartment block was iron ore. I find myself in the frustrating position of either letting all that iron remain as walls to the apartment block, or tearing it all down and replacing it with stone walls. Worse comes when I move to my stockpile/workshop level to make a stockpile for magnetite... only to find the space which I was carving out for the stockpile IS magnetite.... I know this is a good thing but this early in the fort I find it's too much of a good thing... No smelter yet. No flux for steel making.

And to think, the !!FUN!! hasn't even started yet.
You lucky...
Go to the stone menu and disable it.  I think that that should stop anything from the smelters from trying to use them.
Darn ninjas.

Bet I can beat you in time spent lurking before making a profile.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18508 on: January 24, 2012, 10:16:41 pm »

Migrants. And lots of them.

Dwarves cracking a fit because there's warm stone. QUIET DWARVES I KNOW THERE'S MAGMA BENEATH YOU SO STOP PUSSYING OUT.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
  • RAW RAW OUT THINK THA POWAH!!!
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #18509 on: January 24, 2012, 10:23:24 pm »

I just found out that I have a male and female pair of war grizzy bears

FUCK YEAH INFINITE WAR GIZZES FOR LYFE

Also I have some corner walls that need to be built for my fort to be completly enclosed but none of my masons are doing anything about it. They aren't suspending but they aren't building either.

If it goes on like this invaders will have a back way into my fort. How in the hell do I make them build the walls?

Also I've forgotten what to do to make my dwarves dump water in a pit from a water source... how do?
Yours is the fort that will pierce the hells!

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.
Pages: 1 ... 1232 1233 [1234] 1235 1236 ... 3842