Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1230 1231 [1232] 1233 1234 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100251 times)

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18465 on: January 22, 2012, 09:32:39 pm »

I was slightly annoyed to see a goblin, with both legs and an arm missing, outrun my perfectly healthy hammer dwarf.

Also I'm wondering how long my marksdwarf is going to be in traction, he's already been there 3 years!

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18466 on: January 22, 2012, 09:38:01 pm »

Had a single ambush wipe out my entire military of ten along with around six civilians.
They got past the layer of traps in front of the hall which should have decimated them and they were only stopped from destroying the entire fortress by my best miner who I recruited at the last second.  He stood there alone in the grand hall, with a almost literal flood of dwarves streaming past him then assisted by only a single other dwarf unskilled dwarf he drove the entire force back out of the fortress, but later died from the wounds he received from the lashers.

What was the overall fortress population (counting children)?

Around 40 at the time, I thought that the thing was going to go into a tantrum spiral for a little while, but it stabilized nicely with no casualties besides the bookkeeper's table.
The fortress now has a nice healthy population of 69 after some massive immigration waves.  I now have a rather weak-looking military of 18, and I can't seem to get them to train effectively.  It's been several game-months and all any of them have gained from their training is a rank of dabbling in all the non-weapon combat skills (dodging, kicking, fighting, etc.).
I once again have miners after assembling a group of 4 relatively useless dwarves, handing them pick-axes, and telling them to dig out what seems to be the entire soil layer that this place has for a tree farm.
The first cavern layer has just been breached and I'm trying to figure out a way to explore the place without the chance of dorfs wandering near the pondgrabber that's lying near the water's edge on the north side of the lake.
Overall things are looking up, and I should be able to start steel production soon after I mine out some long-neglected veins of hematite. The only problem is the lack of wood for fuel is going to limit the production speed immensely.
I would dig deeper for magma, but my military isn't up to snuff yet.  They couldn't take on a groundhog, much less a pondgrabber or some other more deadly Creature of the Deep.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 09:39:54 pm by Phantom of The Library »
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18467 on: January 22, 2012, 09:46:18 pm »

We've cleared some room for a magma forge. It looks to be going well.

Despite all attempts to breach HFS, the candy vein simply keeps going on and on.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18468 on: January 22, 2012, 09:54:23 pm »

We've cleared some room for a magma forge. It looks to be going well.

Despite all attempts to breach HFS, the candy vein simply keeps going on and on.
Hey that's a good thing, unless you have all your dwarves completely coated in candy already. Cloaks, armor, hoods, the whole shebang.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18469 on: January 22, 2012, 10:03:03 pm »

The fortress now has a nice healthy population of 69 after some massive immigration waves.  I now have a rather weak-looking military of 18, and I can't seem to get them to train effectively.  It's been several game-months and all any of them have gained from their training is a rank of dabbling in all the non-weapon combat skills (dodging, kicking, fighting, etc.).

I usually put them in squads of 3 and train them by locking them in a floodgated room with 2 unarmed prisoners. I've seen a few dwarves go up a skill category every other session or so until they're proficient in their weapon. After that you can probably just let them spar or whatever you do, or keep feeding them prisoners. Leveling up a melee skill seems to contribute to fighter, which also levels up on successful dodges in adventure mode, so I think it helps teach them to dodge as well. I use disarmed goblins for this, beware that they can still bite.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18470 on: January 22, 2012, 10:08:01 pm »

I usually put them in squads of 3 and train them by locking them in a floodgated room with 2 unarmed prisoners. I've seen a few dwarves go up a skill category every other session or so until they're proficient in their weapon. After that you can probably just let them spar or whatever you do, or keep feeding them prisoners. Leveling up a melee skill seems to contribute to fighter, which also levels up on successful dodges in adventure mode, so I think it helps teach them to dodge as well. I use disarmed goblins for this, beware that they can still bite.
Excellent idea, I'll see if I can get some cage traps and an arena made before the next ambush/siege arrives.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18471 on: January 23, 2012, 02:49:44 am »

I'm waiting for my death pit under the entrance of my fort to fill with magma at .025 fps. I think next time I'm going to have to find a less flamboyant way of powering my pumpstacks. Or maybe dig the pit deeper so I don't have to pump as much.::)

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18472 on: January 23, 2012, 06:23:44 am »

I'm in a fortress with no discovered metal except gold, so most of my strange moods result in high-value artifacts. I also edited the ethics to allow for butchering sentients, so I also have a lot of food-based wealth lying around. In late autumn I got a siege of some crossbowmen and elite crossbowmen on animals that wiped out my military dwarves except the commander, the commander's batman, seven marksdwarves, and two experts (axe and sword). I also had to draft every single dwarf. The general population decreased by about 25.

Now that it's late winter and some of the dwarves are out of the hospital (not my manager though), I'm under another siege, led by the goblins' master.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The dwarves deserve the coming punishment of the huge weird anteater riding a bird, for their atrocities.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #18473 on: January 23, 2012, 06:32:00 am »

so...i Haz raptors.
only once every 4 seasons.
guess when they arrive? exactly when i call the "TREECAUST". so guess why my fortress has fifteen coffins filled? yeah. i have this raptors with friggin names.
and then they leave before my military can get to them.
...i'm going to begin raptorcaust one day...
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18474 on: January 23, 2012, 07:42:58 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18475 on: January 23, 2012, 08:02:15 am »

I'm actually quite happy with my fort at the moment! Earthspirals (The first reclaim of it, technically) went through one of the most violent, roughest starts of any of my fortresses, with so much pain, hardship and suffering heaped upon my dwarves. I'm using the Fortress Defence mod too, you can imagine that makes things a bit worse.

So anyway, heroes have risen and fallen, projects have stalled, and the ramshackle, messy fortress has spread like a tumor throughout the landscape, trees being felled and turned to black smoke in the furnaces, the ground churned and grass eaten by livestock, and most anything that moves in the area catching a bolt or two.
But the thing which makes me really happy? The fort has somehow scraped through all its crises, often surviving with barely enough dwarves to run the place, blood and corpses have been a near-constant fixture over the years, and the one friendship I saw form, between two veteran soldiers, was cut short by a giant bat to the head... But I've succeeded in one goal I set myself: Keep the child Eral Roldethathel alive through it all.

Eral migrated to the fort as a young girl, with her parents Medtob and Zuglar. I didn't pay much attention to them, thinking simply, 'Oh... They brought a child to this horrible fort? I pity the poor kid.' and then getting on with whatever I was doing at the time.
But then, when Eral's parents gave birth to a second child, the first baby born in the fort, I was rather excited! Full of plans to keep the little baby alive to reach adulthood, and all that.
...The exact details of their deaths escape me, it was so long ago and during such chaos, but I believe they were neither quick nor pleasant... Something involving beakwolves, if I remember correctly. Suffice to say, poor young Eral was left all alone, with a scar on her left foot as a permanent memory of the horrors that claimed her father, baby sister and mother in quick succession.
Seeing this small, grief-stricken child wandering my fort in shock, I felt a sadness... Almost a guilt, at having failed her so. So I vowed to protect young Eral, and make her life in my fort a (comparatively) happy one. I began with carving her out a room, placing a statue within it, and then trying my best to get her favourite things from the trade caravan. Move fowards a few years, and Eral Roldethathel has grown to become a Peasant.

It's interesting that this should happen at a time of piece in my fort; the corpses have been cleaned away, industry is fairly stable with weapons being forged, delicious meals being prepared, and progress on both the underground fort and the above-ground tower progressing apace. Indeed, apart from an unkown planter who was scared to death by a ghost as I was posting this, there haven't been any deaths for quite a long time... Well, apart from that stupid soldier who charged a cave crocodile unarmed, but that doesn't count, that was natural selection or something.
Now, I'm equipping Eral (who has risen to an Escatic mood with her coming-of-age, interestingly, up from the Happy she maintained for years) with the best armour and weaponry my fort has to offer. She's a strong, agile young dwarf, and I see great things in her future. But I fear we're due for another raid sometime soon... It's been too quiet lately.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:07:28 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #18476 on: January 23, 2012, 12:11:54 pm »

Entering into year 6, my current desert fort (finally found saguaros!) is going strong. I have a 25 strong dwarf army, split into 5 weapons-specific squads of 5 (Spiked Mace, Crossbow, Spear, Axe, Bow). They all have either steel or copper (in Genesis, copper is almost the best metal for blunt) weapons, and I'm working on steel armor, until I can find spoilerite or make mithril/black steel/red steel. Just got magma industry up with a few smelters, forges, crucibles, and a blast furnace.

For the first time ever getting rid of amassed stone isn't a problem, as I have two legendary stonecrafters working round the clock, and all my haulers have masonry (I like to build a lot outside) and I have a couple mason's workshops that only allow those with less skill than proficient to use them pumping out blocks round the clock as well.

So far tangled with a few beastmen, lizardmen, centaurs, and demons of pain/lust attacks, some kobold and mind flayer thieves, but strangely no goblins except for snatchers. A scavenger diplomat showed up (as far as I can tell) dead on arrival at the edge of the map, but the Nord diplomat made it in (which is fortunate, because I like those guys and wouldn't want to war with them).

I'm about ready to delve into the Genesis "training" workshops such as the library, and military training dummies. Should be fun. So far haven't done anything in the caverns but create a secure water supply since there is none aboveground (thank goodness it was in top cavern), but the sylvan diplo yelled at me for cutting down too many cacti, so I need to wall off a mushroom tree farm down there. I didn't think I cut down too many cacti...there aren't that many to begin with and I import most of my wood.

Locked my Baroness up until she died of thirst because she was tantrum-ing and it was too late to make her happy. One of these days I will really attempt to keep nobles happy, but not today I guess.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18477 on: January 23, 2012, 02:02:24 pm »

I'm beginning to feel more like a dwarf. Marksdwarf tower, bottomless pit, magma trap and magma forges, axelords and pet disposal

name of the fort: RazorGod

settled by the circumstantional stake

I was wondering where all the fun was, after all I had breached all caverns, over 80 people, nearly 1M urists in wealth.... so I cheated a little. Used DFhack to see the whole map and checked for things I may have missed. There are now two named and friendly antmen spearmen in the caverns, for killing a FB each
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 03:22:29 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18478 on: January 23, 2012, 05:04:28 pm »

A vile force of darkness has arrived!!

15 Axegoblins and their leader on a crocodile.

The crocodile walks five steps straight into a small pond, drowning the siege leader. The other Goblins refused to move since then.

Worst siege ever.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18479 on: January 23, 2012, 06:22:00 pm »

I'm beginning to feel more like a dwarf. Marksdwarf tower, bottomless pit, magma trap and magma forges, axelords and pet disposal

name of the fort: RazorGod

settled by the circumstantional stake

I was wondering where all the fun was, after all I had breached all caverns, over 80 people, nearly 1M urists in wealth.... so I cheated a little. Used DFhack to see the whole map and checked for things I may have missed. There are now two named and friendly antmen spearmen in the caverns, for killing a FB each
Bah, possessing Antmen to have them kill the FB for you.
Undwarfy and funless.
If you're looking for real fun, construct a large elaborate trap for said beast and offer it gladiators on a regular basis until one defeats it.
Also unless it's ridiculously weak those antmen don't stand a chance.

A vile force of darkness has arrived!!

15 Axegoblins and their leader on a crocodile.

The crocodile walks five steps straight into a small pond, drowning the siege leader. The other Goblins refused to move since then.

Worst siege ever.

Had something similar to this happen to me once. 
Only it involved unicorns. 
And more blood.

Pages: 1 ... 1230 1231 [1232] 1233 1234 ... 3842