Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1218 1219 [1220] 1221 1222 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101208 times)

Kazimir86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18285 on: January 14, 2012, 10:30:27 pm »

Just genned a new world to year 1050(for BIG dragons  ;D), exported info in legends and loaded it up into Legends Viewer, and one of the Dwarf Civs population is 151 humans. No Dwarves left in the civ at all.. and it's the only dwarf civ left in the world. The rest have been wiped out by goblins or elves.   :'(

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18286 on: January 14, 2012, 11:42:50 pm »

I've seen human towns. I've seen elven retreats. But this is the first time I've seen a choke hold also acting like a throat slit.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18287 on: January 15, 2012, 12:09:18 am »

The traders seem happy, after I traded them a bunch of worthless goblin clothes for basically all they had, I offered over 1mil in crafts, weapons, leather armour, and clothing (basically, I filled their weight limit with offerings xD) I really needed to free up some space, and this should attract some more !!FUN!! and migrants.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18288 on: January 15, 2012, 12:49:56 am »

I found another candy vein tucked into the corner of the map and discovered it only had one level before HFS.  Of course, I've already breached it (and entombed it in a dwarven checkerboard) so it wasn't so bad.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18289 on: January 15, 2012, 01:10:09 am »

THAT'S IT!! THIS IS THE LAST STRAW!! YOU OVER THERE, SEAL THE CAVERN THIS VERY INSTANCE!!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
  • RAW RAW OUT THINK THA POWAH!!!
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #18290 on: January 15, 2012, 01:13:13 am »

No answer? Kay.

Got a artifact toy hammer. 6000 dwarfbucks.
Yours is the fort that will pierce the hells!

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18291 on: January 15, 2012, 01:27:23 am »

can a door stave off invaders?
No, when they pass by a door, they'd "claim" them even if they are forbidden. You need to take control of the door again to assign functions.

And I'm seeing 3 insect hives, 2 bee hives and a ant hive flashing on screen. What does that mean?
Ant hives are vanity. bee hives can be utilized. to develop a bee industry.

Where in the hell is this casulty screen everyone is talking about?
Press 'u', it's the list of dead things at the bottom

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18292 on: January 15, 2012, 01:33:09 am »

No answer? Kay.

Got a artifact toy hammer. 6000 dwarfbucks.

Some toy!

Also:

2 questions: can a door stave off invaders? And I'm seeing 3 insect hives, 2 bee hives and a ant hive flashing on screen. What does that mean?

A locked stone door will indeed fend off some invaders if it is locked before they arrive, however, some invaders are building destroyers and will just smash your doors down.

Don't use locked doors.  Trolls make nasty party guests.

Instead, use a raised drawbridge* or floor hatch** oriented so the enemy comes from below at the top of a stairwell.

*You can build a drawbridge by going to (b-->g) and then using (k u h n) to size it and (a x d w) to control what side it raises on.

**Make a stone floor hatch at a mason's workshop and then place it with (b->H)(this is case sensitive).

The flashing insect hives are not really important - I'm not sure why they're flashing, but you can catch the bees and put them in hive boxes for honey if you have a beekeeper.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
  • RAW RAW OUT THINK THA POWAH!!!
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #18293 on: January 15, 2012, 01:43:52 am »

Thanks! I really appreciate it.

Elves came by. Decided to be peaceful this time around. I'll start killing them down the road. Anyway they brought by a couple of bears and a wolf. WAR BEARS HERE I COME!
Yours is the fort that will pierce the hells!

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18294 on: January 15, 2012, 02:11:35 am »

This. This is what's going on in my fort.

And this is only 100 dwarves in.  When I'm done, there will be a massive bridge spanning the 20 Urist wide river (in the front of the image) leading up to the 5z marble gates of the fortress.  The entire walls are being built with marble blocks and will be 4z high except at the towers, which will be 10.  The fortress itself is being built in the French style & has concentrated towers with two royal courtyards on either side.  The total capacity of the fortress is going to be about 500 dwarves on 7 floors above ground. I only hope I have enough stone.

Has anyone done something on this scale? And if you have, what's the timeframe for a project like this?
Playing since 2007

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18295 on: January 15, 2012, 02:23:41 am »

The population keeps raising, despite the goblins best attempts to prevent this, so I've started setting up to accommodate 250+ dwarves (I have 200 pop cap, but that never seems to stop them from flooding in to 230-240 range, and I've started setting up to meet requirements for a king early, since I don't like dealing with whining nobles.

As a bit of added fun, all of the king's furniture is made of either rose gold or gold, and the duchess' stuff is all made of black bronze (which I needed to import, since we don't even have copper on the map).
For the road/bridge requirement, I'll probably just finish out granite block roads and add some silver-block bridges to finish it off. :) this fortress is still sticking to my self-imposed challenges with little in the way of problems ( though the ever growing  list of dead meat-shields.. erm.. recruits.. may disagree), but the economy here is great, if it falls I'll prob. reclaim just because of how much coal, gold, and silver this map has, My metalcrafters and blacksmiths haven't had a break in over a year and the miners haven't gotten to even 1/2 of the silver or gold veins I've found here so far xD

On a more disgusting note, our last FB had a noxious secretion, only two dwarves got hit by it, and apparently the symptom is "Never stop vomiting ever for any reason", these two have literally never stopped their retch/vomit cycle for more than a few frames, they can eat and drink, and even work and fight, but the whole time they are leaving a trail of vomit behind them, it's nasty but I don't want to put them down because they got quite a lot of weapon practice on the FB, so they've graduated past being a shield for the skilled military.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18296 on: January 15, 2012, 02:42:28 am »

This. This is what's going on in my fort.

And this is only 100 dwarves in.  When I'm done, there will be a massive bridge spanning the 20 Urist wide river (in the front of the image) leading up to the 5z marble gates of the fortress.  The entire walls are being built with marble blocks and will be 4z high except at the towers, which will be 10.  The fortress itself is being built in the French style & has concentrated towers with two royal courtyards on either side.  The total capacity of the fortress is going to be about 500 dwarves on 7 floors above ground. I only hope I have enough stone.

Has anyone done something on this scale? And if you have, what's the timeframe for a project like this?

I'm working on a colossal fortress myself and I expect it to take around 300 hours of play time. I've put about 40 into it so far and I only have the outer curtain walls done.

Clockwise Onions

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18297 on: January 15, 2012, 03:37:15 am »

I was just setting out some cages for some good 'ol dwarven justice. Before I appointed a captain of the guard, I realized that the legendary dorfs that were to be imprisoned would be quite miserable being stuck in tiny cages. I got rid of the cages and replaced them all with golden chains with beds and chairs next to them so the inmates would at least be somewhat comfortable. I appointed my captain of the guard and showed him to his pleasant quarters. Of course, my new captain of the guard was merely an unarmed, no-experience peasant with a title and some authority. A few seconds later I see that someone has died. I zoom to the location and find my new captain standing above my legendary weaponsmith's corpse. I quickly revoked his authority but he took it upon himself to pursue vigilante justice and proceed to beat the living hell out of several other unfortunate slackers (as the nobles refer to them) until their heads literally caved in. Eventually his spree was finished.

After a brief investigation, I learned that I had forgotten to set the chains to be used for justice. I designated the chains and appointed a new captain who is easygoing and has yet to put a single dwarf into my minimum-security resort prison. As for the former captain. I created a special lever of certain doom fun and excitement that I assigned solely him to pull for the rest of his short and miserable stay at the fortress. Unfortunately, due to oversights by the architects and mechanics, an accident occurred which took the life of the former guard captain. Also, due to further errors, his body was accidentally dumped into the river.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18298 on: January 15, 2012, 04:49:28 am »

The volcano shaft is now walled off keeping the ocean at bay. I've drained the upper part of the shaft, but before I can built my glass fortress inside I need to remove the excess obsidian. I'll need to do this carefully in case something falls and punctures the cap, allowing the magma to bubble back up. I've estimated that draining the volcano has reduced the amount of ice to thaw per year by half, thank Kermit.

MountainGnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18299 on: January 15, 2012, 05:24:50 am »

My new embark ( I keep losing all my dwarves!  :-[ ) is going well... despite the fact that I embarked with 4 dead zombie horses and 4 dead fire imps.  I'm not in an evil area so I have no idea where the horses came from ( can't find any corpses ) and the volcano cave in that revealed the magma sea also revealed that I'm 98% sure I have a clown house...

This will be entertaining.
Pages: 1 ... 1218 1219 [1220] 1221 1222 ... 3842