Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1214 1215 [1216] 1217 1218 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101410 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18225 on: January 13, 2012, 11:54:34 am »

working on my mayor's office right now. It is separated completely from the other "lesser" area of my fort. Unfortunately my mayor is more picky now, so I'm currently making all the walls into limestone-block walls, and I'll probably put some statues in there soon too. Damn picky nobles - you're not exactly a king here, and most dwarves don't yet have their own place to sleep.

I finally have enough steel from trading and melting that I can start outfitting my dwarves with some steel armor. I'm slightly questioning the wisdom of that, since one of them can currently outrun thieves like it's no big deal, but with one sword dwarf dead already it's probably for the best. It takes a long time to spar these guys up to anything worthwhile.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #18226 on: January 13, 2012, 12:18:47 pm »

My current fort, Gatevised (pop 199), Is nigh invincible. I have an elite squad where everyone has legendary in armor, shield, fighter, and dodging, and most have at least master in their weapon of choice. I'm building a 5x5 danger room with ten spears to a tile, and have a fake entrance lined with ballistae.  I have a big cistern in my living quarters, and 9 legendaries besides my military. I have a planepacked-style limonite cabinet worth 3,732,000 DB. My mayor lives like a king, (literally), but because of some issues I haven't even got a baron yet. I'm training a legendary engraver by making him singlehandedly smooth the entire fortress. One siege, a couple of ambushes, and only 5 dwarves have died so far. Lots of limonite, and I have not decided to breach the caverns yet. My major export is flour, but that's because I'm hoarding everything dorfy for myself. I produce cloth, but only to package the flour. I'm planning to build a skyscraper above my fort. Any ideas on how to get elves to declare war?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18227 on: January 13, 2012, 12:32:39 pm »

My magma weapon isn't ready yet so I used DFhack to spawn lava on the elven caravan instead.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18228 on: January 13, 2012, 12:45:05 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:26:13 am by Ogdibus »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18229 on: January 13, 2012, 12:45:30 pm »

My magma weapon isn't ready yet so I used DFhack to spawn lava on the elven caravan instead.
You have to be careful with that, it can cause serious pathing problems where the entire area you spawned liquid is treated as though it's still filled with liquid.

One of my engravers just made an exceptional image of the "mortal wounding of a gray beastman with a copper dagger from a iron crossbow in Strongtowers... during the Fell Onslaught"

One of my dwarves somehow loaded a copper dagger into a crossbow and fired it into a slavering murder beast with it. It's a damn shame it doesn't say who did it because I would make that man king. I also have numerous pictures of Beastmen drowning, apparently they survive long enough after being thrown into the volcano to drown.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18230 on: January 13, 2012, 12:58:16 pm »

You have to be careful with that, it can cause serious pathing problems where the entire area you spawned liquid is treated as though it's still filled with liquid.

Interesting.  So that's what caused that the few times that's happened, only it's been from removing liquids.  It's still the same effect?

One of my engravers just made an exceptional image of the "mortal wounding of a gray beastman with a copper dagger from a iron crossbow in Strongtowers... during the Fell Onslaught"

One of my dwarves somehow loaded a copper dagger into a crossbow and fired it into a slavering murder beast with it. It's a damn shame it doesn't say who did it because I would make that man king. I also have numerous pictures of Beastmen drowning, apparently they survive long enough after being thrown into the volcano to drown.

Brilliant.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18231 on: January 13, 2012, 01:34:53 pm »

Interesting.  So that's what caused that the few times that's happened, only it's been from removing liquids.  It's still the same effect?

Brilliant.
Removing liquids almost always causes problems I'm not actually sure about just placing water.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18232 on: January 13, 2012, 01:58:12 pm »

The trick to dfhack liquids is to leave 1/7 water and let it evaporate naturally. That goes for magma too; if you need magma gone in a hurry, get rid of the magma, then place 1/7 water where the magma was. That will convince the game that you can walk there.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18233 on: January 13, 2012, 02:01:11 pm »

Or not use hacks :P

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18234 on: January 13, 2012, 05:51:41 pm »

Shakenarch just got its first siege today! Only a single (large)squad of lashers, so nothing to even sortie my militia over; I just let my traps take care of them. They hit my first line of cage traps(I've been REALLY needing some live training dummies, thank you!), taking out 4, leaving about a dozen more. A couple cross the bridge singleton, and hit my first line of weapon traps, resulting in goblin Cuisinart thanks to 10 green glass serrated discs in each one. Then, the main body crosses over. Did I mention my bridge span the caldera of a volcano? AND that I have a pressure plate set up to retract the spans in case of invaders(plus a manual lever of course!)? the leader hit the pressure plate and all but three became sacrifices to Armok! LMFAO
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #18235 on: January 13, 2012, 06:48:16 pm »

Good thing you didn't. Lashers are the equivalent of Dark Jedi Sith Lords. They cut through steel like butter with those things.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18236 on: January 13, 2012, 06:59:29 pm »

Yeah, last siege i lost a Mace Lord to a lasher.

Same with my militia commander in Zalisiden, died to a lasher (mind you she was unconscious at the time).

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18237 on: January 13, 2012, 08:03:31 pm »

It's late first summer and I'm touching down the only cavern to get to the infinite fuel source below. For those unfamiliar with Phoebus graphics, those red ones are crundles and those purple ones are plump helmet men. Plump helmet men are food stealers. This might end in !!FUN!!
Spoiler: long image (click to show/hide)
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18238 on: January 13, 2012, 08:07:36 pm »

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18239 on: January 13, 2012, 08:13:34 pm »

The caravan came, and with them a few soldiers worth of metal armour of various sorts, mostly mail and leggings, a few caps and gauntlets, some high boots. I'm just happy to finally have more than leather for some of my men. They also brought axes, maces, hammers, and spears for us - maces and hammers we can make, but silver is not a good material for axes or spears so thankfully we can replace those training(silver) weapons on more of out troops.

We picked up some bars, too - not a lot, but a bit of platinum and iron.
Pages: 1 ... 1214 1215 [1216] 1217 1218 ... 3842