Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1212 1213 [1214] 1215 1216 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6101659 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18195 on: January 12, 2012, 10:58:16 am »

Decided to start a 2x2 site. It has some flux, copper and silvers in a total of 22z with a single cavern. To protest the lack of Ron Paul in this thread, the dwarves have decided to never drink, farm, or gather plants. And so it began, the 7 dwarves of the hairy sacks has embarked on the war of oil.

Spoiler: cryptic site plan (click to show/hide)
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18196 on: January 12, 2012, 11:04:17 am »

Discovered a site where a brook spring starts in air and falls alongside a cliff into a lake.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
pretty nice i thought, but didnt want to start a thread just for that
..Is that a waterfall?

It's probably supposed to be. I found one too by embarking on a lake+mountain range with a brook running into the lake from the summit of the mountains. It looked just like his too, a brook source area, except it was running north-south. Cave-in on embark too, from part of the brook source that was connected diagonally collapsing.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18197 on: January 12, 2012, 11:11:37 am »

I thought that our Chief Medical Dwarf was lonely so I let him have a poult.

Meanwhile, the same carpenter who got attacked by a troglodyte goes fey and makes an ashen table. A table that menaces with spikes of steel, silty clay and elf bone.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:13:44 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #18198 on: January 12, 2012, 11:19:17 am »

First possesed mood fails -not enough glass-.
first caravan provides some much needed food, but gets itself imploded. They shouldnt travel across the diggings. soon another goes fey and builds a gabbro trone, that artefact goes into the commander's office/diningroom, providing the needed luxury there.
It is time to dig deeper and find some ores to smelt.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18199 on: January 12, 2012, 12:17:47 pm »

Summer has arrived and I have barely managed to set up a living quarter.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18200 on: January 12, 2012, 12:26:58 pm »

Well, the reclaim of outpost Bertishis, 'Earthspirals', has not gone entirely to plan...
Long story short, all but one dwarf was dead. Injured, with a broken right wrist and hand, the militia commander, in his previous life a speardwarf, who became an axedwarf on migration, was all alone.
His name...? Kosoth Legendaxes. Why yes, I did make him an axedwarf just for his name. :P

So anyway, he led a fairly uneventful life until everyone freaking died. It seems Kosoth was the only dwarf not too lazy to feed himself, and thus he was on his own, wielding his axe in his good hand as he hauled stuff to stockpiles, muttering unhappily to himself. Suddenly, Earthspirals' first siege arrived! A bunch of dark stranglers, weak, sure, but over six against one dwarf...?
Sure he'd slain a giant toad, a crundle, several batfolk and a troll before, but never fought so many at once, and most of those he'd been aided by his comrades. I sent him out, fearful of his fate... And he slaughtered the lot of 'em with ease, gaining only a few bruises for his trouble before going back to work.

I have a question for you, Bay12: Should I continue on in Fort mode, trying to keep this mighty fellow alive, (migrants have just arrived, but this fort is... Kinda rubbish) or switch over to adventure mode using DFusion, and allow the tale of Kosoth Legendaxes the Famous Deer  to continue, battling his way across the land?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18201 on: January 12, 2012, 12:30:51 pm »

I have a question for you, Bay12: Should I continue on in Fort mode, trying to keep this mighty fellow alive, (migrants have just arrived, but this fort is... Kinda rubbish) or switch over to adventure mode using DFusion, and allow the tale of Kosoth Legendaxes the Famous Deer  to continue, battling his way across the land?
wouldnt abandoning fort make all citizens "flee for the swamp" and never seen again?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18202 on: January 12, 2012, 12:52:51 pm »

Well, yes, but there is a workaround in DFusion. You just use the 'switch to adventure mode' command, which generally crashes your game whilst keeping things saved. :P Then you can start an adventurer and head to your fort, where your dwarves will still be doing stuff.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18203 on: January 12, 2012, 01:06:59 pm »

Oh... Some amphibian men are fighting Vathi Demonpuppets the firebreathing louse. The caverns are on fire! :/

I'm a bit gutted, since they previously killed off another forgotten beast and the amphibian man was listed as friendly.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18204 on: January 12, 2012, 01:29:15 pm »

I wasn't really paying attention to generating value in the first year, I made a bunch of picks and set my migrants to digging. Then a child gets posessed and creates a toy hammer worth three times as much as the entire fortress.

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18205 on: January 12, 2012, 02:12:42 pm »

Well, my fort was overrun by clowns recently, so I decided to make an adventurer and check things out before reclaiming. After hours of walking, I finally made it here. My first impression?

It's going to take forever to clean up this mess...

EDIT:

I haven't seen any clowns so far, but a number of well armed and well armoured goblins seem to have taken up residence. Maybe my dwarven adventurer will get some decent gear finally. ^^

EDIT 2:

Eep. The clowns are still here.  :'(

EDIT 3:

Well, that was quick. My adventurer, fully geared with iron armour, died in about five seconds. Damn clowns.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 02:30:48 pm by Elifre »
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18206 on: January 12, 2012, 04:09:26 pm »

Apparently to my chief medical dwarf, a simple room with a table, chair and bed is a "legendary" dining room. I can understand the fact that he liked the fisher berry because he likes fisher berries, but, damn.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18207 on: January 12, 2012, 04:16:30 pm »

While awaiting for the current siege to enter the trap corridor, push through it, get banged up, and meet my militia I had a child named Ast just la-la-la on by, violate the burrow restrictions and wait just inside the gate until a goblin spearman comes in and sees her.

The goblin chases her as she skips gaily along just ahead of him into the traps.

A minute later the goblin staggers back outside, minus his shield, arm hanging useless at his side while she runs, covered in his sprayed blood, giggling past the grumbling soldiers in the ambush room and la-la-la's off into the fortress again, ecstatic.

I've nicknamed her Thrillseeker.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18208 on: January 12, 2012, 04:27:51 pm »

I drafted two new guys in the military to use the scimitars I bought from the humans. One is a novice swordsman.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18209 on: January 12, 2012, 04:30:53 pm »

Damn, looks like rapid whip is going to fall early... first fb showed up, made of native-mother-f***ing-platinum... even if this wasn't a challenge fort I don't know if I could hurt this damn thing... My only chance that I can see is a lucky dismemberment with one of the silver beat-sticks(hammers, maces), my axe dwarves are going to be mostly negligible in this fight... Ah well, as per my own challenge rules, he has a clear path inside.. lets see how this goes... I'm not hopeful though.

update: 98 pages of battle messages, predictable most are "... glances away" but 4 limbs have been koncked off in the fray... I still have no water sources anywhere so all my injured are probably going to die, but most of my military is in good shape and this thing is running out of arms and legs, maybe this will turn out okay... also attacking platinum is a great way to train them...

update 2: 200 page combat log, but it died! an axe dwarf knocked it's lower body off with his +steel battle axe+! Huzzah! no losses, a few minor injuries, no water though so this may be a problem...

Followup: And we found a small pool of fresh water in the caverns finally! we needed to kill a few crocodiles to get to it but we finally have fresh water for the wounded! Things turned out much better than I expected.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 04:54:06 pm by Jenniretta »
Pages: 1 ... 1212 1213 [1214] 1215 1216 ... 3842