Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1206 1207 [1208] 1209 1210 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102145 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18105 on: January 09, 2012, 03:06:10 pm »

Warm tears! I'm kind of new here - been playing DF for over a year, just new on the forum. I don't know if anyone attempted this before (most probably someone did) - I'm attempting to carve a 30 tile diameter hole from topside right down to magma sea. I'm mining out one z-level at a time to punch through the floors with a humongous cave-in. There is a 3 level aquifer on the map, and I will probably use it to build some sort of a watar/magma fall obsidianizer doomsday contraption spanning a few dozen z-levels. Stone mined out underground is made into blocks and used to build an extension of the gigantic pipe above ground level.

Everything is going painfully slow, as I'm using an old laptop with a 1.5 GHz celeron on board. Population is capped at 20 (currently 22 dwarves live in the fort), embark is 2x2 and i get an average of 28 fps. I'll post some sketch of the layout as soon as I get some image hosting space.

Digging holes to the red sea? Common ;P

Digging deeper in said holes? Also done, but more spectacular :D

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18106 on: January 09, 2012, 03:10:51 pm »

I have a 3 tile wide, 11 tile long hallway completely filled with cage traps.

I stop all attacks in their tracks so far, but I've only had ambushes and snatchers. I'm going to use the military to wipe out any stragglers, and use the naked prisoners to train said military.

Candy breastplate, iron leggings, iron helmet, iron swords/axes, iron gauntlets, iron high boots.

The would have worn Candy breastplate, leggings, and helmet, but I accidentally flooded the candy factory with lava while I was trying to find more of it.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

anzelm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18107 on: January 09, 2012, 04:30:46 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is the basic plan of action. Green is ground level (Actually this is a mountainside - I flattened it for better readability), Blue is aquifer, Brown is cavern (only one layer). The colony will hug the walls of the pit, with windows and hanging walkways and aque/magmaducts.

Currently trying to flood part of level -7 from the aquifer without obsidianizing the metalworks down below.
And they raise their wooden pints
And they yoik and sing
And they fight and dance till the morning!

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18108 on: January 09, 2012, 04:45:35 pm »

I SURVIVED MY FIRST SIEGE!

17 attackers, 15 were goblin macemen, 1 was a lasher, and the last one was the lashers giant rat mount. All got caught in my cage traps.

I've been supplying my military entirely off of goblinite ever since the first ambush came. I am totally keeping this fort until the bitter end.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18109 on: January 09, 2012, 05:09:30 pm »

Rejoice, for Oceanhole is now a mountainhome. Duke Newbunkle waited eagerly as the queen - his future bride - descended down the fortress staircase and entered the royal suite.

She has a once-thin frame, now belarded. She is a faithful worshipper of Stetar (the goddess of food).

Eek!* Hmm... well. A small price to pay to marry into royalty, surely!

In other news, a new beast appeared in the caverns: Vathi Slevinaarepa (Demonpuppets). It's a feathered louse that breathes fire. Awesome! I like the name more than anything.

I've also just got my most expensive artefact to date: Spreadfords the adamantine chain leggings. It's worth 1,239,600 dorfbucks.

*Note: No offence intended. In real life I'm actually quite fond of curves. ;)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18110 on: January 09, 2012, 05:12:20 pm »

My fort was besieged by beastmen, one was able to get into the area of the tower I have dubbed "The Chamber of Ass-Kicking", all the rest fell in the lava moat or got caught in the traps.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18111 on: January 09, 2012, 06:02:07 pm »

Lo and behold, after two years of sieges and lonely immigrant in the middle, Mistycrafts has been blessed with springtime migrants wave!

Surely they must be finest armorers and crafters and warriors who-

...a bunch of peasants and five animal caretakers?

SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18112 on: January 09, 2012, 06:13:35 pm »

Lo and behold, after two years of sieges and lonely immigrant in the middle, Mistycrafts has been blessed with springtime migrants wave!

Surely they must be finest armorers and crafters and warriors who-

...a bunch of peasants and five animal caretakers?

Cavvy army. You know you want to.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18113 on: January 09, 2012, 07:44:49 pm »

My dungeon lord had nothing bot positive thoughts, he had a bedroom like a palace, a throne room worthy of legend, and a dining hall engraved with the greatest dwarven victories ever won. He had recently seen an artifact statue, an artifact door, and he'd just witnessed a centaur get disembowled from the comfort of the most glorious amphitheater I have ever personally created. Then he noticed a lesser ,the swordmaster Militia Commander, had a pretty sweet tomb, this was enough for him to start punching random people. One of those people was another swordmaster who acts as Captain of the Guard. The captain parried and stabbed him in the stomach, then he administered a beating with his sword- actually when you administer a beating with a sword I'm pretty sure they call it a beheading. Just to twist the knife I forbid him from being buried in the mausoleum he was so unhappy with, threw his corpse in the trash, and had an unskilled farmer slap together a slab which was also placed in the trash. The moral here is that if the only reason you have a title of nobility is because I want the configuration of Nobles quarters to be symmetrical you should try not to be so goddamn uppity to people with swords.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18114 on: January 09, 2012, 07:56:08 pm »

the fortress of rock of ages has been quite content lately.
A migrant wave has been arrived and jobs have been given while others drafted.
Barracks and everythingpile is already finished
Rock of Ages has admired a fine pre-packed supersoldier millitia commander lately.
Rock of Ages has taken joy in the slaughter of kobolds and local wildlife.
Rock of Ages has been thinking of making a burrow lately.
Rock of Ages is traumatized by rich kobold thieves.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18115 on: January 09, 2012, 08:40:32 pm »

My fort was besieged by beastmen, one was able to get into the area of the tower I have dubbed "The Chamber of Ass-Kicking", all the rest fell in the lava moat or got caught in the traps.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #18116 on: January 09, 2012, 08:53:06 pm »

Great show, Sting. I'm gonna check if it's out on Bly ray yet...

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18117 on: January 09, 2012, 08:53:46 pm »

Some Giant Capybara came through my lakes and are attacking my exotic livestock.
The Jaguar and the Captain of Crunch are fighting !

At least my sheep are defended :)
Last winter I carved the frozen lake and built walls down there.

So I looked down in the lakes and there they are, all the Giants just sitting and swimming.
For all the FPS players out there, I envision them quoting ETQW: We remain secure in our sewer lair. Grr

Then I get this
Goblins couldn't cause this much trouble !

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18118 on: January 09, 2012, 08:54:09 pm »

It's on Netflix, and I think it's on Hulu too.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18119 on: January 09, 2012, 08:57:34 pm »

It's on Netflix, and I think it's on Hulu too.
And YouTube!
Pages: 1 ... 1206 1207 [1208] 1209 1210 ... 3842