Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1205 1206 [1207] 1208 1209 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102297 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18090 on: January 09, 2012, 05:13:17 am »

Well, the new year rolls on in and I find that one of the cats I brought along on embark has died of old age. By now my fort's food stockpile (where all cats are pastured) has grown so large that I can't find its corpse. Now I must wait until it starts rotting to get rid of it. I pity the dwarf that stumbles upon the dessicated feline body laying near their food.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18091 on: January 09, 2012, 09:03:13 am »

I got sick of digging the refuse room bigger and bigger so I dug in a screw pump so water would slosh things around and stack up a few of the piles, making some empty space. The skeletons get tangled up and pile on each other and the blood gets moved around so the room gets redder and browner every time I do it, but it makes room. I can't stop thinking about how nasty it is, because it is knee-deep water full of rotten bodies and blood. One of the dwarves found a soaking, smelly hat in there and put it on.  Also, when the pump is running someone will inevitably come in to throw away some cartilage in the new empty spaces. When they open the door to the refuse room a wave of old body parts and flies and dirty water splashes out.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18092 on: January 09, 2012, 09:24:29 am »

First vanilla fort in a while, and the first real goblin ambush came in the fourth year.  Poor handling on my part means that close to thirty dwarves (my entire military) died, and because I neglected to immediately forbid everything, fully half of my remaining dwarves rushed out to recover everything.  I tried to get as many to safety as possible, but eventually decided to cut my losses.  I raised both drawbridges, sealing my fortress completely from the outside (fortunately, none of the goblins had a crossbow). 

Not too much earlier, I also faced my fortress's first FB.  My dwarves already hard at work securing the cavern, I immediately suspended all construction in the cavern.  I waited for the FB to climb up the staircase into the trap I had built for just such a purpose, but after reaching the top of the stairs, it turned around and went straight back down again.  Slightly puzzled, I sent my marksdwarves in to handle it, forgetting that its description mentioned "poisonous vapors."  With great difficulty and quite a few deaths, they did eventually kill the beast.  They all then came down with massive fevers and severe vomiting fits, which spread to most of the pets and quite a few other dwarves before I got the few tiles of extract cleaned up.

After both of these events (the ambush goblins are still hanging around outside my fortress, terrorizing the roughly twenty dwarves stranded out there), I now have a fortress of about a hundred safe dwarves, twenty-something of which are currently coating my fortress in green.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18093 on: January 09, 2012, 10:49:41 am »

Reg Dakostthiz, Mayor cancels Starting Fist Fight: Too injured.

Since this is probably not news in itself, perhaps a little explanation might be in order;

Started up another fortress (I tend to get a little vexed when my starting militia gets killed by... well, just about anything really, in the first couple of years, so I restart rather often). Took a supply of hematite with me and crafted enough gear to outfit 2 Axedwarves in finest dwarven iron; well, the finest that can be produced by a Proficient Weapon/Armorsmith, anyway.

Upon discovering fire clay in abundance and coupled with the fact that I had embarked next to an Elven hippy commune forest retreat, I thought I'd build a nice above-ground fortress to show those surface-dwellers how it's done - and to give a better vantage point to trade them -badger bone bolts- for all their possessions.

Everything was going rather well, however early on in the fortress there was a regrettable tragedy - one of my initial pair of Axedwarves was mauled by a Giant Badger, leaving her unable to grasp items, having suffered motor and sensory nerve damage. This Axedwarf was Reg Dakostthiz.

For a couple of seasons she stared plaintively at the newly-forged weapons and armor, unable to equip herself with any weapons or armor to defend her home from the bestriped menace. Eventually, her comrade-in-arms, Amost Febrith the militia commander and expedition leader, took pity on her plight and relieved her of duty so she might have time to recuperate.

The injuries she'd sustained left her with several scars, and Reg yet remained unable to grasp - having no choice but to struggle on with her arms hanging useless and numb by her side. As the settlement grew, Reg evidently became venerated by her colleagues as a symbol of dwarven tenacity and strength, and she was elected to the post of mayor.

Time passed, and other hostile forces arrived at the fortress - goblins, skulking in the shadows with their spears and mauls. The tiny militia suffered casualties, yet the commander remained steadfast and slaughtered foes with enthusiasm - goblin and badger alike.

However, this story would soon take a more sinister turn - a group of errant Giant Badgers paraded past the gates of the fortress, scaring the civilian haulers and forcing the militia (whose barracks was conveniently located at the entrance of the fort) to charge out and engage the furry terrors. Alas, it appeared that our old foes had formed alliances - no sooner had the militia abandoned their posts than a full two squads of goblin ambushers made themselves known at our gates.

In the resulting carnage a large number of dwarves and goblins - but not badgers, as they had fled the field upon achieving their nefarious goal - perished, leaving a good many of the survivors deeply traumatized by the brutal slaughter of their friends before their eyes.

And so it is that Reg, so deeply upset by the loss of many dwarven lives, attempted to take her frustrations out on another - yet cruel fate denied her even this, as her arms still hung limp and unmoving by her side, not even able to punch a dwarf in the face, nor hurl a table at a hapless passer-by.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18094 on: January 09, 2012, 11:38:00 am »

Winter is upon us all. All these kobolds running amok is starting to worry me. WHEN shall the ambush arrive!? An underestimation on my traps's power has left me with 0 food, so I bought some from the caravan and has been fighting off the buzzards to keep them. The autumn immigrant wave was craptastic. Absolutely nothing usable. I guess I'd just quickly set up some cheap defense and hope for the best next spring.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #18095 on: January 09, 2012, 11:42:17 am »

The new city of Winterdirge is complete, with several ballista batteries located at regular intervals around the city, and archer towers all around. Every caravan that comes sees a giant ballista as they pass the gates, and they see the caged bodies of goblins and animal people who have murdered one of us. In the middle, there is an elf trader, caged in the middle of a magma lake, behind the Trade Depot. And above it all, a hammer menaces over the keep that leads to the underground city.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18096 on: January 09, 2012, 11:58:40 am »

An underestimation on my traps's power has left me with 0 food, so I bought some from the caravan and has been fighting off the buzzards to keep them.

Are you doing some kind of thing where you don't have an indoor/underground food stockpile?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18097 on: January 09, 2012, 12:03:15 pm »

Gemsquashed's first immigrant wave was two.

Gemsquashed's second immigrant wave was six.

Gemsquashed's third immigrant wave was TWENTY.

Gemsquashed's fourth immigrant wave was way-the-HFS-too-many...

... on the other hand, we did finish flooring over the caldera with dacite and have glass and stoneware production getting up to speed, along with some magma smelters and forges. Have had one possession and one fey mood so far, resulting in a legendary woodcrafter, and the caldera flooring project has given me about a dozen adequate masons (other dwarves were a craftsdwarf I needed working round the clock on large pots, a mechanic I needed working round the clock on mechanisms, and a child I needed to stay way the hell underground).

Have had goblin snatchers show up, so I probably need to start thinking about defenses. I have a decent supply of mechanisms and some nice green glass serrated discs, so I'll probably have my miners remove ramps around the pasture and booby-trap the remaining ramps and entrances with those. Probably going to have all dwarves without other moodable skills take a few cracks at the forges and glass furnaces, as well.

I did something a little fun/weird with this fort. I used Sphalerite's Random Plants script, installed the resulting file, removed the standard plant files, and am learning what the random plants do as I go, usually from learning what trade goods are produced with them.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18098 on: January 09, 2012, 12:11:26 pm »

An underestimation on my traps's power has left me with 0 food, so I bought some from the caravan and has been fighting off the buzzards to keep them.

Are you doing some kind of thing where you don't have an indoor/underground food stockpile?
It's one of the kind of challenge that I've self imposed since forever. On the bright side, I'll never get miasma.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18099 on: January 09, 2012, 01:07:51 pm »

Cool. Sort of like nethack's voluntary and invented conducts (foodless, blindfolded playthrough, atheist, wishless, etc).

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18100 on: January 09, 2012, 01:08:35 pm »

I should have embarked with 7 proficient strand extractors this takes forever.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18101 on: January 09, 2012, 01:24:07 pm »

Three-squad ambush at Gemsquashed. Massive, MASSIVE casualties going on right now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18102 on: January 09, 2012, 01:27:18 pm »

Three-squad ambush at Gemsquashed. Massive, MASSIVE casualties going on right now.

Which is why you should recruit your entire fortress into a professional military. The irony being since I've done this, I've had less casualties, with no armour or weapons beyond that which I can scavenge versus a fort with candy wielding super soldiers ;P

*Results may vary, conducted on above ground forts.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18103 on: January 09, 2012, 01:35:58 pm »

My problem was that I went, "Oh, I can make serrated glass disc traps" without thinking of (a) the installation time, and (b) the gigantic spike in wealth that would cause. As a result, the goblins arrived faster than I was expecting, and my dorfs were not ready.

ETA: And a kidnapper got to the fort's only child. Oh, so much fun... time to start assigning bedrooms to the unhappy.

ETA: A subsequent ambush ate spinning serrated glass disc.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 02:40:44 pm by proxn_punkd »

anzelm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18104 on: January 09, 2012, 02:40:43 pm »

Warm tears! I'm kind of new here - been playing DF for over a year, just new on the forum. I don't know if anyone attempted this before (most probably someone did) - I'm attempting to carve a 30 tile diameter hole from topside right down to magma sea. I'm mining out one z-level at a time to punch through the floors with a humongous cave-in. There is a 3 level aquifer on the map, and I will probably use it to build some sort of a watar/magma fall obsidianizer doomsday contraption spanning a few dozen z-levels. Stone mined out underground is made into blocks and used to build an extension of the gigantic pipe above ground level.

Everything is going painfully slow, as I'm using an old laptop with a 1.5 GHz celeron on board. Population is capped at 20 (currently 22 dwarves live in the fort), embark is 2x2 and i get an average of 28 fps. I'll post some sketch of the layout as soon as I get some image hosting space.
And they raise their wooden pints
And they yoik and sing
And they fight and dance till the morning!
Pages: 1 ... 1205 1206 [1207] 1208 1209 ... 3842