Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1197 1198 [1199] 1200 1201 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6103916 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #17970 on: January 03, 2012, 08:44:16 am »

Ral Ralsolon, Armorer withdraws from society!

FUCK YEAH!

Ral Ralsolon, Armorer has begun a mysterious construction!

FUCK YEAH X2!
Worth 115k Dorfbux.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 08:56:28 am by Reudh »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #17971 on: January 03, 2012, 08:51:36 am »

The restoration of Dirgefurnace is at hand.

After finally caving in to the demands of the goblin inhabitants of the fort that we bury the goblin invaders, we have begun the long, painful walk back to normality. Only 3 dwarves, 3 goblins and 2 kobolds remain. The others went insane or were killed in the fight, which was big enough to consume most of the town, and to require the use of a magma resevoir. So far, only two of those remaining are uninjured, a dwarf who was lucky to be locked in a ballista battery for the siege, and a kobold who was also lucky to be looking for jewels in the mines.

No metalsmiths: All of those, with the exception of the siege engineer and the jewel miner were in the militia from Day 1.
No way to farm: All of my survivors are not even good at farming.
No way to trade: The depot was destroyed by magma and the broker was killed in the fight.
No hope for Dirgefurnace, especially now that I think there is a forgotten beast waiting...

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #17972 on: January 03, 2012, 11:14:29 am »

I found a perfect embark!
It has : Cobaltite, Native gold, Limonite, garnierite, spoilerite and pentlandite.
It's situtated on a savage mountain and a forest, the 3rd carvern layer is beautifull it has some kind of "elevated polls" and a pipe
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17973 on: January 03, 2012, 06:07:30 pm »

I embarked to a fortress called Smithentries. At first glance, I thought it read "smithereens", which would have been much cooler.
Earlier, I made a fort called Lovesalve, which I read as "love slave", but it's just as awesome either way.

Someone please cure my obsessive embarking.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17974 on: January 03, 2012, 06:24:41 pm »

A grizzly bypassed 8 wardogs and got into the fort. I ordered all 10 of the resident dwarves (of whom 3 had basic copper tools, but were too far away to get there in time) to Zerg-rush the bear. Five or six of them cornered him in an empty doorway and beat him to death with their bear hands. (Pun completely intended)

......and then the game crashed and I had to kill the process manually so I lost the epic blood decorations across that entire level of the fort...and the dead bear corpse I was going to do something with.....

On the plus side, no smashed dwarves anymore either.

Incidentally, there's a "boat" theme going with this fort. The fort is "Aceboats" or something like that....the name of the group has "boat" in it somewhere, we're on an island, and the amphibious Boatwagon was wrecked in the surf on embark (8. Months......of "Urist McCan'tSwim cancels Store Item in Stockpile: Item inaccessible/floating out to sea on a wave"). Thankfully, no elephants.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #17975 on: January 03, 2012, 10:27:24 pm »

Stonesense won't do full-fort screenshots on anything but Software mode, but since my computer sucks and Software's the slowest mode there is, trying to get the thing to take a screenie is like trying to host a World of Warcraft server on 56k. So, instead here's the main above-ground z-level taken from ingame:

Back more on-topic, a picture is worth a thousand words, especially when the picture contains actual words *cough*:

Shit's about to get real.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17976 on: January 03, 2012, 10:30:59 pm »

lolololololololol badgers u mad migrants?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17977 on: January 03, 2012, 10:34:47 pm »

I have just had a similar stuation but with a herd of about 2 dozen elephants.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17978 on: January 03, 2012, 11:23:50 pm »

I too have recently had such problems with both panda men and moose men. The panda men didn't harm anyone, but one of the moose men killed a dwarf.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #17979 on: January 04, 2012, 12:40:28 am »

Wow, the badgers didn't do jack to the migrants, in fact they actually scurried away, only having a brief altercation with one of the migrant Llamas.

CRISIS AVERTED.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17980 on: January 04, 2012, 01:57:24 am »

For those who remember me posting all confused about the message 'Cetha Cethutha Cetha, Forgotten Beast is no longer enraged':

Looks like I've got a friendly Olm-man tribe now. :D

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17981 on: January 04, 2012, 03:24:17 am »

I caught a bronze colossus, I'm going to use it to inflict misery on my enemies.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17982 on: January 04, 2012, 03:42:19 am »

Massive amounts of steel armour is now being made by Ral Ralsolon, our legendary armorer who now has a forge all to herself.

We got 20 migrants, probably influenced by the 115k dorfbux artifact Ral made.

A hospital has been set up.

A statue garden has been set up.

A mayor has been elected- his room is being carved out as we speak.

Two kobolds were spotted, one got away uninjured and another escaped with minor injuries.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17983 on: January 04, 2012, 10:32:00 am »

Udrimestthos has been founded. An outpost set up in an evil swamp to take advantage of the metal ores present. The risk was deemed acceptable by the Mountainhomes and so. For the greater profit and glory of the Dwarven kingdoms. An expedition was sent out. A small base camp was set up near the base of the hills that rise from the mire. The Defacto expedition leader As Toseddumat. He didn't ask for the job. But it fell to him in the end to oversee the groups survival in the mean time till someone more willing stepped forward. Set about cutting a clearing from the dense forest. Whilst makeshift stockpiles were organised for food and refuse whilst the first iron was refined from a nearby surface hematite seam at the base of the hill. As well as some of the newly felled timber being processed to charcoal to fuel the making of much needed tools for miners and weapons and armor for the military. Currently consisting of one Dwarf. Zefon Dishmabarzes. The only trained experience fighter of the group. A stoic, some might say pitiless and unmovable persona. Much like the bones of the earth they were soon to start carving into.

Indeed amongst the first priorities for their resident smith would be to outfit the dwarf with some armor and a blade and shield. That was. once some mining picks were forged. Tun Athelod set to work warming his newly constructed forge. It felt good to finally get back to practicing his lifes calling. To shape the bountiful earths treasures into greater artifices and tools of war and industry. Such was his life. He contentedly waited as he watched the coals in his forge take and build in heat. As, he assumed could be heard felling more timber in the distance. Whilst their makeshift camp wasn't much to look at. The close huddle of wooden and siltstone workshops and stockpiles in the woodland clearing was a good start at least. The buildings themselves even looked like they huddled together against the looming threat of the encroaching swamp. One of the miners waited nearby. Supping some ale to bide his time whilst Tun set to work forging the outsposts first mining pick.

"The sooner we move underground the better." He mused to himself as he started shaping the iron. The clammy air, the twisted and dead trees and foliage unnerved him. Plus the odd sounds like groaning or roars emitting from the depths of the swamp didn't do any good to assuage his worries. Such a place. Even with its proven ore deposits was no place for a dwarf to live.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:35:31 am by Lexx »

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #17984 on: January 04, 2012, 08:17:31 pm »

After completing the 4-year test of the final construction phase, I've calculated that; barring any FUN at all, my mega-project will require another 76 dwarf-years to finish - in fortress defense mod.

to re-engineer it I could save-scum ten years back to year 25 and re-design the linkages to run off water-controlled relays instead of the main lever and decrease the final construction phase timeframe by a factor of eight-ish....

I'll have to take a break from that region before re-playing that much lost game-time, at least this time I won't greedily clog my stockpiles with 25 million dorf-bucks in farmed giant cave-spider robes that I don't really need.
Pages: 1 ... 1197 1198 [1199] 1200 1201 ... 3842