Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1177 1178 [1179] 1180 1181 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093692 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #17670 on: December 15, 2011, 12:49:21 am »

I found a competent surgeon in a migrant wave who is also an adequate bone carver...

The implications of how he became one is quite creepy...

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17671 on: December 15, 2011, 12:50:49 am »

I found a competent surgeon in a migrant wave who is also an adequate bone carver...

The implications of how he became one is quite creepy...
All he needs is leatherworking and cooking, and you know what must be done. >:D

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17672 on: December 15, 2011, 12:58:05 am »

Is ore supposed to be this rare in this version? (the rock/soil layers go something like Sandy Clay/ Obsidian(for about 4 layers)/then gabbro and andesite for most of the layers after.
Yeah, it's almost fantastically rare to actually have a workable metalsmithing industry unless you cahnge the mineral scarcity to something very high. in advanced world gen on a large world you can set it to around 600 and expect a comfortably wealthy digging experience, just like old times.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #17673 on: December 15, 2011, 01:10:19 am »

Yeah, it's almost fantastically rare to actually have a workable metalsmithing industry unless you cahnge the mineral scarcity to something very high.
Really? I did a regular Create New World, set the minerals to Average, and embarked on a site where the 3rd level down is made mostly of steel. (Something like 70% iron ores & flux, 20% gabbro, 9% gold.) I mean, sure, I had the game search for Shallow Metals, but I didn't tweak the world-gen any.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17674 on: December 15, 2011, 02:07:27 am »

Yeah, it's almost fantastically rare to actually have a workable metalsmithing industry unless you cahnge the mineral scarcity to something very high. in advanced world gen on a large world you can set it to around 600 and expect a comfortably wealthy digging experience, just like old times.

Ah, wouldn't be so bad if I could piss off the goblins to melt down their gear, suppose I'll have to slaughter some humans to get them sieging.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #17675 on: December 15, 2011, 06:23:22 am »

Life in Tombmet is good. Hundreds of barrels of booze, almost as many barrels full of masterfully prepared meals. The walls have kept the horrors of the caverns at bay for nearly fifteen years now, save for a few able to fly which have been disposed of without problems for the most part.

Indeed, it seems that there is little that could threaten the dwarves there. Not even the nobility is a danger to the everyday life, the dwarf raised into nobility seems more than content in merely ordering for silver to be made every now and then, which is plentifully available in the area. And with the noble family currently blessed with 12 children, it seems likely that there is little that could threaten the family from dying out and the noble blood drying up completely.

254 dwarves call Tombmet their home, and they're all really really happy.
I can't even imagine what will cause the downfall of this fort, but it'll be more than spectacular, I'm sure.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17676 on: December 15, 2011, 08:28:20 am »

So, things are getting rather crowded. My miners are still in training, so making more space quickly is an issue. As such, the stockpiles became overloaded, as a solution I traded generously with the Dwarves who came this Autumn I received about 10k worth of supplies (Metal bars, wood, armour, weapons, bolts, etc.) in return they left with about 86k in crafts, food, and wine... would have been closer to 100k but it took too long and I had to trade before everything got to the depot. Oh well. Created wealth is rapidly approaching 1.5mil as the team of legendary engravers start engraving the workshop and stockpile rooms.
The military is up to 20 dwarves, 10 crossbow dwarves, 5 wrestlers, 1 speardwarf, 2 axedwarves, and 2 sworddwarves, They've been largely unneeded though, since the biggest concern thus far has been a single blind ogre, that killed a puppy and didn't so much as wound anyone else.

spoilerite stocks are getting to pretty reasonable levels, I should have enough to make a full suit of armour and some weapons once the stockpile of ore has been processed. still holding out on a more skilled weapon/armoursmith to make use of it though. The dwarves brought a reasonable stock of metal though so they should be getting some practice now.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #17677 on: December 15, 2011, 08:50:00 am »

Life in Tombmet is good. Hundreds of barrels of booze, almost as many barrels full of masterfully prepared meals. The walls have kept the horrors of the caverns at bay for nearly fifteen years now, save for a few able to fly which have been disposed of without problems for the most part.

Indeed, it seems that there is little that could threaten the dwarves there. Not even the nobility is a danger to the everyday life, the dwarf raised into nobility seems more than content in merely ordering for silver to be made every now and then, which is plentifully available in the area. And with the noble family currently blessed with 12 children, it seems likely that there is little that could threaten the family from dying out and the noble blood drying up completely.

254 dwarves call Tombmet their home, and they're all really really happy.
I can't even imagine what will cause the downfall of this fort, but it'll be more than spectacular, I'm sure.

too many nobles asking for silver.
you'll eventually have to dig into the caves for more.
land beasts will waltz in.
nobles will be unhappy. children will die.
tantrum, end of fort.
or ambushes.
CURSE YOU AMBUSHERS
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17678 on: December 15, 2011, 09:20:54 am »

Quick update, a fey mood turned a handful of gems and a few bits of spoilerite into a VERY expensive crown, pushing my created wealth from slightly under 1.5mil to just over 2.3mil (the crown is worth 10008000 for anyone curious, called whisperorders, and has an image of a blazing sun in giant toad leather)

Luckymoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17679 on: December 15, 2011, 09:28:37 am »

Three of my militia dwarfs just abandoned their weapons to have an Office Space beat down on the Elven merchants.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #17680 on: December 15, 2011, 09:33:20 am »

Quick update, a fey mood turned a handful of gems and a few bits of spoilerite into a VERY expensive crown, pushing my created wealth from slightly under 1.5mil to just over 2.3mil (the crown is worth 10008000 for anyone curious, called whisperorders, and has an image of a blazing sun in giant toad leather)

the name is quite curious don't you think? you sure it's not going to start whispering horrible things to do to whoever places it above it's head?
close your eyes father...now that mine, are open!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17681 on: December 15, 2011, 09:51:55 am »

the name is quite curious don't you think? you sure it's not going to start whispering horrible things to do to whoever places it above it's head?
close your eyes father...now that mine, are open!

I'm rather hopeful that it is a bad omen, I'm hoping that it's the harbinger of a siege of some sort. This fortress is getting no action at all, we got a Troll early this winter that managed to break a wrestler's ankle, otherwise I've had only 2 deaths of dwarves (mining accident involving magma) and one pet death (puppy got too close to an ogre).
I'm working on pissing off the elves (I have every above-ground tree designated to be cut, and 3 furnaces pumping out charcoal as fast as possible, not to mention the volume of bins and beds I need just to keep up with my clothing, crafts, and bolts.) So if this doesn't piss them off, then their next caravan wont be making it home in one piece.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17682 on: December 15, 2011, 10:28:19 am »

I keep a few saves around, in case i want a change of pace, a different fort for a while
The fort i loaded is rich in silver from galena, tetrahedrite and just native silver, no other metals. It is situated with a tropical freshwater lake in the east, tropical swamps to the south and tropical shrubland to the north and west, a stream crossing through the northern part of the shrubland. I remembered getting a bit desperate at this fort and i wondered why. Then I saw the prepared food stockpile, then the animal stockpile, then the animal pastures, then my regular stockpile, and cursed. I had changed the RAWs for this worldgen, removing exotic tags for pets and most grazer tags, since my lazy ass didnt want to bother with pastures for a change.

The prepared food stockpile was huge - and nearly full
A herd of Giraffes, a herd of elephants, a herd of capibara, a herd of warthogs, a herd of GIANT capibaras and some assorted Tigers and Jaguars were waiting to be tamed
Already tamed, and reproducing were a dozen elephants, half a dozen giraffe, four giant capibara, a dozen sheep, half a dozen goats, more fowl than i want to write down, a breeding pair of honey badgers, with cubs, horses, yaks, water buffalo, Rhinos and more.
Food stockpile was quite well stocked with booze, quite some meat and plants too, but not nearly full... Why not butcher them?
Then i saw the main stockpile and i remembered. Skulls. Hooves, horns. Ivory, teeth. Bones, so many bones. Shells, must have been 50 or more.
I rolled up my sleeves and went to the workshops and manager screen. Workshops full of orders, more queued by the manager.
Dwarf Therapist: bone carvers have just one task, carve bone.

I remembered: the bone carvers had been on duty for half a year now, and not made a dent in the stockpile, while filling it with bone crafts. Food was over the top, so the cooks were going to use what was left and take a break, plants only to be used for brewing. However, there were now well over a hundred animals that should be slaugtered and due to highly efficient cage traps in the wilds, more were comming in. And anything not locked up was BREEDING. The militairy was fairly small, but what did it matter with war tigers, war elephants, war... giraffes? All in all, a good 50 or more war animals, 30 of them elephants, chained around corners near entrances, surrounded by some traps. The animal trainer had been recruited in the militairy because he had 12 war elephants tagging behind him.

It was going to take some time to sort this mess out. on the other hand, I did not have to fear for attacks
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17683 on: December 15, 2011, 10:39:16 am »

Had a VERY busy couple of hours.

1: Got some more migrants, so started up a basic milita. I also set some traps ready for cavern breaching. Don't want a repeat of the crocodile incident!

2: Dwarfven traders! Didn't have much to trade with them, but I managed to get a few picks and a proper weapon.

3: TONS of migrants. My fort population has jumped to about 25. Also, my first wedding, birth, and strange mood.  The mood never got completed, but it spurred up the start of my metalwork industry. Resulting dwarf went berzerk [This was the mother of the baby too], and was quickly killed by my milita and dogs.

4: Got a wave of theifs! About 4 of them in short order. My wardogs took care of them, one of them gaining a name!

5: More migrants...

I currently have a population of about 35, and lots of animals. Might start cageing them, or slaughter aany non-breeding pairs, leaving only what I can make a meat industry from.

This is bigger than I've ever done before. I just need more bedrooms, and probobly should consider a second masonry and carpenter's shop.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17684 on: December 15, 2011, 11:16:04 am »

Yay something exciting!
A forgotten beast, Shedim, a huge 3-tailed eyeless sauropod with green scales and fire!
He died fairly quickly, but the fire he left behind killed half of my military (but none of their pets.. huh) oh well, at least something interesting happened. my lower cavern layer is in the process of burning down now, while dwarves scramble to grab the less-burnt parts of bodies and equipment that were left behind from the fight. Guess that crown was a bad omen after all, the image of a blazing sun was even somewhat appropriate.
Pages: 1 ... 1177 1178 [1179] 1180 1181 ... 3842