Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1176 1177 [1178] 1179 1180 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093780 times)

PijanySmok

• Bay Watcher
  • For mother Celestia, THIS IS PONYVILLE!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #17655 on: December 14, 2011, 10:44:31 am »

My dwarf just trapped himself when building floodgate, and died.
Why my pic doesn't work?

Check me or pm me there if you want something:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmokNiszczyciel

To all ponies: let's take control over the world!

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
« Reply #17656 on: December 14, 2011, 10:48:27 am »

This happened a while ago...

I had started with a temp fortress to keep my dorfs alive while I built what would become the real one and eventually moved everyone once it was ready.

Then I started getting messages about animals dying and noticed my combat log showed strange names... and that's when I realized that, when I locked up the temp fortress after the last dorf had left, I forgot to release the elven merchants I had been trading with at the time. They all went mad from being confined for so long and killed each other.

And thus began that fort's incredibly profitable new tradition.
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."

PijanySmok

• Bay Watcher
  • For mother Celestia, THIS IS PONYVILLE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17657 on: December 14, 2011, 11:09:51 am »

Any good way to torture a dwarf? A caravan just came, but my stupid "proficient negotiator" didn't know prices and I couldn't buy much food or anything. If my fortress dies, blame him! xD
Why my pic doesn't work?

Check me or pm me there if you want something:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmokNiszczyciel

To all ponies: let's take control over the world!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17658 on: December 14, 2011, 11:17:15 am »

Any good way to torture a dwarf? A caravan just came, but my stupid "proficient negotiator" didn't know prices and I couldn't buy much food or anything. If my fortress dies, blame him! xD
1/7

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17659 on: December 14, 2011, 01:19:09 pm »

you need a broker noble with apraisal skill. Even if he isnt the one to trade he'll put a value on things
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #17660 on: December 14, 2011, 02:02:14 pm »

Just embarked and found out it's a Roc lair and has a dead dwarf adventurer to boot.

That adventurer's going to get a shrine of his own if my dorfs survive long enough.

Dwarf Fortress IS smugly thinking that you've seen everything right up until the point where you learn that HOLY CARP IT ACTUALLY DOES THAT!?

...Actually, does the corpse have a name and a legends entry, or is it just a random flavor corpse? I guess it'd be marginally less impressive if the corpse was generated on the spot than if the corpse was an actual historical figure that was, for whatever reason, slaughtered by a bird the size of a blue whale and carried off to its cloud-cloaked mountain nest, where its presence was saved for our viewing pleasure.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17661 on: December 14, 2011, 02:19:28 pm »

Just embarked and found out it's a Roc lair and has a dead dwarf adventurer to boot.

That adventurer's going to get a shrine of his own if my dorfs survive long enough.

Dwarf Fortress IS smugly thinking that you've seen everything right up until the point where you learn that HOLY CARP IT ACTUALLY DOES THAT!?

...Actually, does the corpse have a name and a legends entry, or is it just a random flavor corpse? I guess it'd be marginally less impressive if the corpse was generated on the spot than if the corpse was an actual historical figure that was, for whatever reason, slaughtered by a bird the size of a blue whale and carried off to its cloud-cloaked mountain nest, where its presence was saved for our viewing pleasure.

I haven't opened legends yet, but it has a name, and a breastplate is nearby. I found other corpses in other z-levels, and even a stack of fat belonging to a named skull (as in: Urist McDead's Skull/Fat) not far from it. Even some coins from a dwarf civ (not the one I chose, unfortunately). I could place the save here, if you are intrested
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #17662 on: December 14, 2011, 05:47:05 pm »

I haven't opened legends yet, but it has a name, and a breastplate is nearby. I found other corpses in other z-levels, and even a stack of fat belonging to a named skull (as in: Urist McDead's Skull/Fat) not far from it. Even some coins from a dwarf civ (not the one I chose, unfortunately). I could place the save here, if you are intrested

Honestly, if this were any other game, I'd have already screeched PICS OR DIDN'T HAPPEN or something similar, but as I haven't seen anything of Dwarf Fortress that would suggest that it wouldn't simulate the hunting patterns of giant man-eating predatory birds and subsequently store information on how thoroughly each corpse has been eaten for the unlikely event that the player happens to stumble across its nest, I'm more than happy to take your word that it does.

Plus, looking for myself would require that I download your save and then unzip it and load it and maybe even thank you for your trouble afterward, and it is a special day indeed on which I would be willing to put in even that much effort into anything :p
'Sides, any world that can sustain multiple dwarven civs is likely far too kickass for my comp to load in any measure of time acceptable to normal, mortal humans.

(Screenies would be cool, though :D)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17663 on: December 14, 2011, 06:08:23 pm »

Honestly, if this were any other game, I'd have already screeched PICS OR DIDN'T HAPPEN or something similar, but as I haven't seen anything of Dwarf Fortress that would suggest that it wouldn't simulate the hunting patterns of giant man-eating predatory birds and subsequently store information on how thoroughly each corpse has been eaten for the unlikely event that the player happens to stumble across its nest, I'm more than happy to take your word that it does.

Plus, looking for myself would require that I download your save and then unzip it and load it and maybe even thank you for your trouble afterward, and it is a special day indeed on which I would be willing to put in even that much effort into anything :p
'Sides, any world that can sustain multiple dwarven civs is likely far too kickass for my comp to load in any measure of time acceptable to normal, mortal humans.

(Screenies would be cool, though :D)

Why post screenshots when you can post this!
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17664 on: December 14, 2011, 08:52:23 pm »

Libash Sanrebstakud, Ghostly Merchant batters Thob Oslantarmid, Beekeeper!
Thob Oslantarmid, Beekeeper cancels Install Colony In Hive: Resting Injury.

That was five days ago. The injury? A little cut on her left cheek. I'm not sure who I should be mad at here. The stupid woman that whines like a little elven whore about getting slapped in the face by a random ghost, the random ghost for interrupting my beekeeping staff the only time they've ever had any work to do besides harvesting, hauling, and butchery, or the doctors for actually deciding to treat this woman like a patient rather than plastering a piece of cloth to the outside with the tiny ounce of blood and slapping her other cheek for interrupting their work on the soldiers who have grievous injuries, then taking close to a week to even get around to diagnosing this baffoon! Doctor House clearly didn't think the stupid girl needed treatment, but the novice in the ranger squad who has seen his brothers and sisters in arms dieing from papercuts on their toes making them jump around on one foot until they jumped off the bridge and exploded in the dodge-pit below was clearly terrified.

Incompetent bastards, all of them!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 08:55:38 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

yamgrenade

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels task: Is a Dumba**
    • View Profile
« Reply #17665 on: December 14, 2011, 09:09:13 pm »

While digging a pit my miners caused a cave-in. There weren't any picks to save them, so they died down there. This is just wonderful.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17666 on: December 14, 2011, 10:56:58 pm »

I butchered a Silver Fox so my craftsdwarf could make his artifact.

I'm sorry, Merchant of Menace :P

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17667 on: December 14, 2011, 11:47:10 pm »

My swordmaster broke her leg in the danger room. Damn. At least she bothered to walk out to the stairwell before passing out from the pain.

Aw crap. Now the axemaster broke his leg as well!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 12:04:25 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17668 on: December 15, 2011, 12:02:13 am »

We were ambushed multiple times by demons and kobolds. We have no weapons or armor, so our soldiers actually had to WRESTLE THEM DOWN WHILE COMPLETELY NAKED. Many were lost, not soldiers but defenseless civilians. We will have our revenge. They WILL pay.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17669 on: December 15, 2011, 12:43:39 am »

After a rather long break I finally installed the newest version (linux) and started a new fortress.
It's been going rather uneventful for 4 years, No goblins (they were on the civ screen) no beasties or lovecraftian horrors, the biggest problem we had was a small badger invasion.
Until I tried to establish out metal industry late year 2... at which point I found that I have virtually no ore on the map. I kept digging deeper and exploring, but I found nothing but stone, until I hit magma. Amagma pipe extends up past the lowest cavern layer so it's fairly easy to access, no swimming in the magma sea to try to make use of it. A bit more exploring and we finally hit ore... Spoilerite ore.. With no other metal except the bars I've been getting from humans and dwarves, my smiths are all very low-skill, I'm processing the spoilerite to a useful form but I don't want my smiths to learn on the most expensive and useful material I've found, especially since a large amount of the spoilerite is the only thing keeping my miners out of the magma. Digging it out I lost 3 miners, luckily I have a couple spare picks on hand so I have new miners training up to legendary now before I resume mining the ore.

Worth noting, my fortress is up to 85 dwarves, a bit under 1mil created wealth, and about a half-mil exported, but we've not been upgraded to even a barony, haven't seen even a single goblin or kobold, not a single nasty monster, even the caverns are surprisingly empty of horrors. We have a few subteranian aquatic creatures who have been minding their own business, but otherwise the caverns have been completely safe for my little workers. I've even managed to move the entire woodcutting and herbalist enterprises to the 1st cavern layer with no losses or injuries.

Is ore supposed to be this rare in this version? (the rock/soil layers go something like Sandy Clay/ Obsidian(for about 4 layers)/then gabbro and andesite for most of the layers after.
Pages: 1 ... 1176 1177 [1178] 1179 1180 ... 3842