Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1170 1171 [1172] 1173 1174 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094762 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #17565 on: December 05, 2011, 08:54:02 pm »

My weavers were ambushed by frogmen in the caverns, I assembled a hasty militia with some daggers that kobolds had dropped and sent them out to chase them off. What ensued was a long drawn out chase between frogmen chasing weavers and militiamen chasing frogmen. They beat each other ineffectually trading blows for days while ,I can only assume, the dwarven version of  yakkity sacks played in the background. 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17566 on: December 05, 2011, 09:37:19 pm »

A child was possessed and produced a wood earring, rather worthless, really.
The interesting part is that when I looked at her profile to see how old she was, it says "she is fourteen days old, born on the 5th of Timber in the year 217.

For one thing, it's the 20th of slate 217, mid spring, whereas timber is late autumn. For another, she's a child, not a baby, and was possessed 16 days ago.
She exists 8 months prior to being born, is old enough to walk and eat freely, arrived with only her father, and came up with an idea for an artifact 2 days before being "born", 14 days ago, and from her and her father's happyness-events string, they've been here for well over a month to have eaten our food, slept in our beds, and admired our fine weapon traps.

The only thing her profile doesn't reveal is that she's a legendary LIAR, but that won't save her from the gods.

I'm proclaiming her father "That Aussie Dwarf," and her "Aussie Baby." I suspect That Aussie Dwarf is actually her older brother, though not 68 as he claims, and they're a couple of orphans from the mountainhomes, having been caught lying and scamming one too many times and forced to flee town.

Other than that, absolutely nothing interesting has happened in the few months that have passed. Thieves in cage traps, ambushes that vanish as quickly as they appear (Literally. I've called the militia to arms on two separate occasions and when they get out there, the ambush has disappeared, having taken zero casualties besides one tigerman group that got a man cuaght in a cage trap) Nobody else from the migrant wave that arrived right before the girl was possessed has had a chance to do anything whatsoever.

I'm still trying to find time to have the miners breach the magma sea and prepare magma forges, but they've got a heavy work load trying to dig out housings and general industrial spaces at the same time.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #17567 on: December 06, 2011, 09:18:49 am »

Goblin siege, AT 17 FUCKING DWARFS!
One squad of swordgobbos.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17568 on: December 06, 2011, 10:32:51 am »

Here at Bannerskies we have a sworddwarf with a penchant for beheadings. She's superdwarvenly agile or whatever, so she's always the first in her squad to get where she's going. The last three thieves who showed up (two kobolds and a gobbo snatcher) she beheaded in one stroke. The severed parts went sailing off in an arc.

I wish you could have a custom refuse stockpile that would accept only heads. I'd pile them up outside the walls.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17569 on: December 06, 2011, 10:37:07 am »

Here at Bannerskies we have a sworddwarf with a penchant for beheadings. She's superdwarvenly agile or whatever, so she's always the first in her squad to get where she's going. The last three thieves who showed up (two kobolds and a gobbo snatcher) she beheaded in one stroke. The severed parts went sailing off in an arc.

I wish you could have a custom refuse stockpile that would accept only heads. I'd pile them up outside the walls.

Hmm. You could always order them dumped manually and then forbid them.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17570 on: December 06, 2011, 02:55:39 pm »

I recently discovered that my jeweler is a real asshole. After encrusting an earthenware figurine of a dwarf I took a look and saw that he encrusted an image of my broker surrounded by cave spiders. Out of curiosity I looked at my broker's thoughts and preferences and discovered that he absolutely detests cave spiders. I can just picture my jeweler snickering to himself the whole time he was encrusting it.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17571 on: December 06, 2011, 02:56:48 pm »

I recently discovered that my jeweler is a real asshole. After encrusting an earthenware figurine of a dwarf I took a look and saw that he encrusted an image of my broker surrounded by cave spiders. Out of curiosity I looked at my broker's thoughts and preferences and discovered that he absolutely detests cave spiders. I can just picture my jeweler snickering to himself the whole time he was encrusting it.

That is pure win.  Why do we enjoy Dwarf Fortress so much I wonder...
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17572 on: December 06, 2011, 03:13:28 pm »

One of my speardwarves got miserable, stabbed a ram and promptly got beaten by my silver mace ex-military guard captain. Despite suffering a broken skull (among many other injuries), he should live. A kobold stabbed my legendary armourer in the arm and foot, causing some motor nerve damage in the process. The kobold escaped, but his accomplice was swiftly hacked to pieces by my axelord.

With the arena finished and all my war dogs and male giant badgers pastured there, I am ready to initiate operation Tradecradled meets the FB's. I'm going to postpone it till my speardwarf recovers and receives somewhat happier thoughts.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17573 on: December 06, 2011, 05:43:34 pm »

Apparently the elves loved the earthenware figurine. It traded for more than triple it's original value at over 7000 dwarfbucks.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17574 on: December 06, 2011, 05:48:00 pm »

My chief medical dwarf was possessed and made an artifact glass statue of the forgotten beast that I crushed under a floor tile. The frogotten beast is cringing.

I blame the miner that died for possessing him, wanting for a better memorial than just a cheap slab. I think both his slab and the statue should go in the dining hall, and his slab will be marked as a meeting area for parties.

Now, the lame bastards that got shot up or crushed under the drawbridge because they ran outside, right into an orcish crossbowman squad, will not be so honored.

There is a very pissed off forgotten beast somewhere below my fortress, by the name of Armesth. Hasn't shown up yet, but I keep getting messages stating "Armesth, forgotten beast is no longer enraged." There are some dead batwomen on the units list now, so they're probably keeping it busy.
I'm currently under siege from the orcish civilization again. Their crossbowman squad buggered out after their leader unloaded his entire quiver into the animals pastured on the roof of the gatehouse (a wondrous strategy for dealing with marksmen when you have an overabundance of animals.) So, now I've got 4 trolls and a lasher and pikeman squad sitting outside the gate. The trolls won't charge anybody that goes to reload the cage traps (they're at the front of a bridge covered with weapon traps overlooking a deep pit), but I can't send the militia out in their present unarmored and untrained state; it would be a massacre, of dwarves.

Once the siege breaks I'll have the cage traps moved to the rear of the trap line to catch anything that makes it across the bridge. The squads stop their assault once their leader is caged, and it makes it impossible to deal with them with a poorly organized militia.

There have only been 3-4 casualties, including That Aussie Dwarf, who apparently ran outside to grab the goods the merchants dropped when they were slaughtered.

That forgotten beast showed it's ugly mug as well. A towering bison with a fat bulging trunk (cut off by the bat men) and noxious secretions. The militia dealt with it; I'm not too sure about the state of their injuries, but the syndrome hasn't kicked in yet and since it apparently didn't leave any residue to infect others I'm not too concerned. At worst, I'll need to replace the militia, but nobody else should be infected.

Some low-skill brewer made a native gold scepter. Not particularly interesting. There are also some panda women outside mingling with the orcs. My ranger squad can only cause the orcs to retreat one at a time from minor injuries. Hopeless.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 08:09:48 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17575 on: December 06, 2011, 08:28:55 pm »

My madhouse-of-a-mix mod (MLP and LFR) has me starting off in a savage desert, with the following neighbors:
Spoiler: Civilizations List (click to show/hide)
EDIT:There is a single aquifer level between me and my precious stone.  :'(
EDIT2:Breached the aquifer. Hooray for shale!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 09:33:29 pm by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

WolfeyS

• Bay Watcher
  • My wife just died. Oh, damn nice door that one is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17576 on: December 06, 2011, 11:53:50 pm »

I'm being destroyed by a finch.

The Forgotten Beast Suton Meng Erong has come!
An enormous finch with external ribs. It has three long, curving
horns and it undulates rhythmically. Its scarlet feathers are downy.
Beware its noxious secretions!
My Steam Account

You just know you're screwed when a dwarf dies of old age.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17577 on: December 07, 2011, 12:49:03 am »

A forgotten beast with no ranged abilities made of metal showed up.

Hello legendary marksdwarves.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17578 on: December 07, 2011, 12:54:11 am »

The new fort, Limulunnos is progressing very well. We're currently channelling off part of the river to create a reservoir, which will flood the farm.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #17579 on: December 07, 2011, 01:26:17 am »

One of my yaks literally kicked one of my giant snails out of reality.
I was browsing the combat logs from my pasture when I saw that the yak had somehow kicked the snail in the head and bruised the brain without killing it (it was, however, stunned). Curious, I zoomed to the snail's location, only to find that it wasn't there or, in fact, anywhere. Subsequent confused searching through various menus revealed the following:
  • The snail was listed as "Deceased" in the units screen, along with another snail who had suffered a similar injury, albeit with a far more conventional result (i.e. death due to brain hemorrhage).
  • There had been no announcement; there was one "Stray Giant Snail (Tame) has been struck down" message, but that was from the other snail.
  • There was no corpse. The only snail corpse in the stock screen was from the other snail.
  • The snail's profile says "Her head is bruised. Her brain is bruised," instead of the typical "Her upper body is gone."
I imagine it's floating around in limbo somewhere, wondering where the pasture went.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies
Pages: 1 ... 1170 1171 [1172] 1173 1174 ... 3842