Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1166 1167 [1168] 1169 1170 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095106 times)

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #17505 on: December 03, 2011, 01:10:54 pm »

so, new fort, totally different approach: presure plates close the shortcut and redirect enemies into a corridor with a few traps, in the beginning i channeled where the meeting hall/statue garden will be and the dining hall, then floored them over.

Now! strike the earth! sphalerite, sphalerite, nothing but damn sphalerite. And cinnabar. Not even copper to make some weapons. I'm glad i brought some bars at embark to make the first trap or two, but i didnt count on this

IIRC, Spiked Wooden Balls work surprisingly well for traps considering they're made of wood.
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17506 on: December 03, 2011, 01:42:43 pm »

I thought I'd try out the old 40d and 23a versions because I've read that people still play them. Unfortunately they're just too damn slow. It might be because my graphics card doesn't work properly, but DF2010 runs fine. I didn't get too much done before I gave up on each attempt, but I did enjoy the 2D map from the 23a version. DF2010's maps are far deeper than I need them to be. I never use that much space, even on a 2x2 embark.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #17507 on: December 03, 2011, 03:15:41 pm »

I'm so sorry for the only family with kids in my fort. Actually, kids is wrong. There's only one kid left. They had 3 but one got snatched as a baby when the mother was working on the outside field. The second one was caught when it was using the river as a drinking resource (I still don't know why they suddenly began to drink from the river rather than from one of the many wells and water resources inside the fort).
I hope at least the third child of them is able to grow older than just few months...

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17508 on: December 03, 2011, 03:26:15 pm »

Did you have the river set as a water source?  Not sure how dwarves prioritize finding water, but that's a possibility anyway.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Luckymoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17509 on: December 03, 2011, 03:33:30 pm »

A complete failure of my military against a combination of two FBs and a five goblin ambushes as brought my fortress to its knees. Time to move on I believe. Atleast my breeding population of giant tigers held their own.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #17510 on: December 03, 2011, 03:35:55 pm »

Nope, I've never touched the river and they didn't even drank from it before. Though, they stopped after the last winter. Courious shit, I tell ya.

And shit sux: I've loaded up the save game and what happened? Fucking Forgotten Beast. And my bridge to seal off my fortress from the cavern isn't finished yet.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17511 on: December 03, 2011, 03:41:53 pm »

In the experimental fortress of Nutworked, two dwarves now have varying levels of damage to their heart tissue due to exposure to arsenic fumes while smelting arsenical bronze.  Oddly, after a short trip to the hospital for diagnosis, both appear none the worse for it.   The doctor diagnosed them and did nothing, but it's not like there's much they could do for heavy metal poisoning.

Next step is to finish debugging the reactions for processing yellowcake.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17512 on: December 03, 2011, 03:45:29 pm »

you need to set an activity zone around the good drinking areas and tell your people to ONLY use these zones. otherwise they go drink wherever they feel like
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17513 on: December 03, 2011, 03:57:00 pm »

Just got this beauty off of a fey mood.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17514 on: December 03, 2011, 04:27:10 pm »

That's a pretty sweet artifact.
Note to self: recruit silver shield squad for next fort.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #17515 on: December 03, 2011, 04:36:13 pm »

ehm.
i have a severed dwarven child it seems.
he has created an aspen artifact cup.
idashbatok utarsethistam...
yeah. Moistness problem the first false light.
it's half between an epic prophecy (seeing as it happened soon after the death of the first giantess ever encountered) and also as a way to insult me, his lovely overseer.
a cup with moistness problemS? really?!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

stonedwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17516 on: December 03, 2011, 05:43:14 pm »

i just killed a elven caravan the first time ... i hate them. do they come back and try to sige my fortress now? 

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17517 on: December 03, 2011, 05:46:18 pm »

i just killed a elven caravan the first time ... i hate them. do they come back and try to sige my fortress now?
Not unless you mod their liason back in.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17518 on: December 03, 2011, 06:45:45 pm »

I... I... I just killed a kobold. It wasn't intentional... I was just trying to chase her away I... Didn't know my militia captain had a copper axe.
So I made a slab for her. And asigned the room to the guy who made it. He now hangs around there. Looking at the slab. Sadly I can't bury her, so the tomb I built for her will be empty.

I'm really sad. And I've been using that piano version of the theme song while I play, makes everything much more tragic.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17519 on: December 03, 2011, 07:25:39 pm »

I... I... I just killed a kobold. It wasn't intentional... I was just trying to chase her away I... Didn't know my militia captain had a copper axe.
So I made a slab for her. And asigned the room to the guy who made it. He now hangs around there. Looking at the slab. Sadly I can't bury her, so the tomb I built for her will be empty.

I'm really sad. And I've been using that piano version of the theme song while I play, makes everything much more tragic.

RIP
Pages: 1 ... 1166 1167 [1168] 1169 1170 ... 3842