Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1165 1166 [1167] 1168 1169 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095330 times)

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #17490 on: December 02, 2011, 01:24:02 pm »

The population has dropped from 200 to 150, mostly from dwarves going berserk.

The duke has lost his title and spot on the nobles page. Currently, he is running around babbling.

The hill Titan Tubeb came to visit. It was a great eyeless scorpion with two curly tails, both with stingers. It undulates rhythmically. Beware it's poisonous string!
Either it was trap immune or all my traps were clogged from the last siege, because Tubeb just ran over the traps into the fortress. It was also extremely fast, it managed to cross the screen and snip off Rigoth the Prime Thunder's hand off before I could activate the military.
Fortunitatly, it didn't seem to be aware of its two stingers as it the proceed to strangle Rigoth. Despite Rigoth being a legendary milita captain, he was helpless against the scorpion.
The rest of the military eventually managed to kill Tubeb and Rigoth has been brought to the hospital; however, it looks like most of the medical staff has been killed in the tantrum spiral.

I fear Bridgegate is doomed.

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17491 on: December 02, 2011, 05:19:46 pm »

My expedition leader, who begrudged the WHOLE embark team in the first week, just threw a tantrum (He got sick of talking to 'annoying people') which ended in the death of all of my poor, defenseless animals...
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17492 on: December 02, 2011, 05:36:06 pm »

My expedition leader, who begrudged the WHOLE embark team in the first week, just threw a tantrum (He got sick of talking to 'annoying people') which ended in the death of all of my poor, defenseless animals...

I laughed at this way harder than I should have.

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17493 on: December 02, 2011, 06:56:00 pm »

I laughed at this way harder than I should have.

You monster...

EDIT: It seems that one cat survived, it's been chillin' down in the bottom corner of the map, slaughtering toads this whole time. Also, it seems that it was impregnated before the other cats died...

EDIT2: Are cats into incest?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 07:09:36 pm by Kepplerr »
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17494 on: December 02, 2011, 08:10:00 pm »

EDIT2: Are cats into incest?

I've had success with male animal impregnating a female and her female offspring before I started getting some more males. This has happened on multiple occasions, they weren't cats but an animal is an animal, right? I don't think that the game tracks relations of non-sapient beings (or if it does, it certainly doesn't care about it).

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17495 on: December 02, 2011, 08:36:29 pm »

Sadly, the kittens all appear to be female... Guess I'll just have to wait for a migrant with a pet cat. Or just wait another year for the dwarven caravan.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17496 on: December 02, 2011, 10:12:05 pm »

I've started building villages and it's pretty fun and pretty Fun. Only the nobles have drawbridges and perimeter walls for protection, everyone else has a 3x3 hut with a 3x3 storage basement and a door to keep out any nasties. All of the nobles have assigned roles, one will "own" a farm and all of the farming related workshops, another will control the mine and all of the stoneworks, another might  own the primary warehouse and so on. The real fun comes from how exposed it is- when there's a siege it's really a siege not just enemies patiently waiting outside while everything is business as usual within the fort. Unless a dorf was on a nobles property at the time he has to survive off of the slim rations in his basement and then either die of malnutrition or make a mad dash to another house. Some gorillas decided to camp out in the middle of town and until they leave or the situation gets desperate enough for everyone to mob them with their bare hands 23 dwarves are slowly dying.

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17497 on: December 02, 2011, 10:39:16 pm »

That sounds pretty fucking awesome, Stalin.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17498 on: December 03, 2011, 01:28:46 am »

Just built a "love shack" where I'm sequestering dwarves that I want to get married.  They've been lovers for years, it's time to make something of it, darn it!
Through pain, I find wisdom.

ZZmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17499 on: December 03, 2011, 05:37:34 am »

So I just had a dwarf child go into a secretive mood. Now I LOVE to piss off the elves in fact I modded the diplomat elf back in so I could piss them off more. When I notice the dwarf kid is just hauling logs to the craft workshop non-stop. So I check and the burrow isn't touching it. He had already gathered 50 logs I decide lets go for broke set the dwarfs to start clear cutting the jungle, I pit the logs on the side of the workshop. long story short 2million dwarf buck scepter made from just wood and a single gem total logs in it 1.2k. PROFIT and if I could attempt to trade this to the elves even better. .... a vile force of darkness has arrived elves on bear back JOY.

now im thinking of setting it on fire for the kobolds to have FUN with when they try to steal it.

edit:sorry I'm a bit out of it with insomnia
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 06:57:32 am by ZZmage »
DK advisor quote was the message thingy of DF with: "Uric Glodson does a wonderful impression of the baron, he can even do the nose. He has been sentenced to 40 hammerstrikes for his insolence."

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17500 on: December 03, 2011, 06:29:47 am »

Note that that was really hard to read. There's this thing called 'paragraphs' and 'grammar'. You should use them.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17501 on: December 03, 2011, 08:12:31 am »

I had this architectural whim I wanted to indulge, so I cheated. Shamelessly. Embarked with seven miners and a ton of food and booze, spent like three hours designating painstakingly, dfhacked "fastdwarf 1" to make them dig like the wind, and hollowed out my whole fort in the first month of the first season. Once the digging was done, I mass-autodumped all the stone — 9,000 boulders — into one tile, turned off the fastdwarf hack, and actually started to play.

It's autumn now, with a population of 15 so far, and it's going great. I'm really happy with the fort. But just one thing … man it's empty. I carved out these huge halls, including a meeting area just east of the crafting district that my dorfs could play a soccer match in, and I've got fifteen dwarves living there, mostly just … waiting. There's no bustle, no conversation. The vast halls and deserted side-streets echo with the occasional slap of a llama-wool shoe or the clatter of a dropped tool at the mason's shop — the only one that's active at the moment — and that's it. It's deserted.

It's got a great feel. Maybe sometime in the future I'll use the same trick but carve out a truly vast fort, only cap the population at 20 or something so it keeps that emptiness.

Maybe this says more about my mood and personal state of mind today than anything, I dunno.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17502 on: December 03, 2011, 09:03:36 am »

So I just had a dwarf child go into a secretive mood. Now I LOVE to piss off the elves in fact I modded the diplomat elf back in so I could piss them off more. When I notice the dwarf kid is just hauling logs to the craft workshop non-stop. So I check and the burrow isn't touching it. He had already gathered 50 logs I decide lets go for broke set the dwarfs to start clear cutting the jungle, I pit the logs on the side of the workshop. long story short 2million dwarf buck scepter made from just wood and a single gem total logs in it 1.2k. PROFIT and if I could attempt to trade this to the elves even better. .... a vile force of darkness has arrived elves on bear back JOY.

now im thinking of setting it on fire for the kobolds to have FUN with when they try to steal it.

edit:sorry I'm a bit out of it with insomnia
on the other hand, your reasoning is without fault

i started new. Didnt want to quit my old fort, its going too great, but decided to see if a new strategy works as well, so a new world. I never used trigger plates much, so it'll be fun finding out how well they work

at least now i'll have steel armor if i ever go adventure mode in either world
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 09:06:48 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

McUselessNoble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17503 on: December 03, 2011, 09:18:57 am »

upon exploring my first cavern ever some little fucker popped out of the shadows and scared my miner into full retreat. i zoomed to the area and feared either my miner's demise, or a chase up into my fortress for more classic DF fun

instead he stabbed the monster in the foot and ran like hell. clever little bastard

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17504 on: December 03, 2011, 12:47:26 pm »

so, new fort, totally different approach: presure plates close the shortcut and redirect enemies into a corridor with a few traps, in the beginning i channeled where the meeting hall/statue garden will be and the dining hall, then floored them over.

Now! strike the earth! sphalerite, sphalerite, nothing but damn sphalerite. And cinnabar. Not even copper to make some weapons. I'm glad i brought some bars at embark to make the first trap or two, but i didnt count on this
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 1165 1166 [1167] 1168 1169 ... 3842