Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1163 1164 [1165] 1166 1167 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095573 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #17460 on: November 27, 2011, 03:37:12 am »

According to my test it is related to breaching cavern in this world/biome/embark square in previous game in certain world (I have never tested this).
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #17461 on: November 27, 2011, 03:45:52 am »

A dwarf's profession can influence what she will make when she goes moody. Masons tend to make furniture like tables, thrones, and floodgates, mechanics make mechanisms, and dwarfs with useless skills make crafts.
True. In general, only those professions that (can) create objects that have Quality ratings will provoke a Mood, although there are exceptions. I once had a medium-skill Miner go into a Mood and, although he had no skill in Masonry or Stonecrafting, create a Diorite Hatch Cover. Checked him immediately afterwards and yep, Legendary Miner. Try to amass at least a small amount of every type of good immediately--Moods can strike at literally any time. The reason I logged on to this thread just now was to post about how an Accomplished Weaponsmith went into a secretive mood literally less than a day after he arrived--he was still a flashing migrant X by the time he got halfway to the Forge he was claiming. (Good thing I'd just got our first steel bars produced.)

But yeah, buy out your first few caravans' worth of sand/glass/clay/thread, and some cloth/leather as well, even if you don't plan on using it. Even a High Master Glazer is worth saving if she's also a Talented Carpenter on the side.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 03:48:15 am by SixOfSpades »
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17462 on: November 27, 2011, 04:21:51 am »

Mining is moodable, masonry-like skill.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17463 on: November 27, 2011, 03:46:36 pm »

Riddletrees has fallen. First dragon raptors attacked killing one person before everyone including a visiting trade liason ran into buildings. A door was left open for a mother with child to enter and the broker fled the safety of the building to find booze, he died 10 urists from the storehouse. As the raptors began splintering doors they exchanged moments of stupidity with the dwarves, they ignored their quarry as they ran past to safety and the dwarves in turn escaped the raptors only to take the shortest root back to safety and walking directly into the creatures they had just fled. The liason went melancholy but a raptor saved him the trouble of suicide when it bashed down the door to the main plantation house and forced it's way in. The occupants rallied picking up loose tools and weapons and using them to overwhelm the raptor killing it with minimal injury.

As the raptors were fought off caskets were made and the dead were buried. A weaver died of thirst after being overlooked and remaining locked tightly inside his home. A miner went mad and ran off into the woods ripping his clothes off and eventually setting a fire that would grow to destroy all stockpiled wood kill three dwarves, and destroy three homes. As the settlement was left in ashes brook trolls came and the call was made again to flee to safety. Luckilly elves came to trade and in the process killed nearly half of the trolls. A mason showed appreciation by going mad and attacking an elf guard, shoving him into a pond and diving in after him. All of the elvish goods were seized to rebuild Riddletrees but before they were collected the call to hide was issued again.  With most of the doors splintered safety was not to be had, goblins ambushed  and killed all they met.   Lollygaggers in an act of bravery or stupidity ran in long circles with goblins on their heels guaranteeing their own destruction but buying time for the hastily assembled military to retreat. Three survivors in a moment of brilliance fled to an untouched house with the warehouse cat and prepared to wait out the attack.

It was down to the final three survivors two miners , a woodcutter , and the cat that once patrolled the warehouse managed to wall themselves into the former home of the weaver. They tore up the floorboards to make barricades and prepared for a long wait. They had brought with them the rotted corpse of a troll meant to be dumped, a coffin meant to be assembled, and the woodcutters copper axe. Both miners had abandoned their picks to join the militia and had a single sword between them. With no supplies they were doomed and while they could tear down a wall the goblins still waited outside. Without picks to dig to a water source or the booze laden warehouse they would have to wait out the siege or die of malnutrition. They used floorboards to assemble a butchers shop in the basement and slaughtered the cat for food but not before hunger drove one of the miners mad. The miner was unarmed but the woodcutter was not, the battle lasted a second and the miner was left upstairs to rot. The two saw that this was the end but handled it differently the other miner gave up and went on a break that would last the rest of his life. The woodcutter realized the end was near and began engraving the tale of the their destruction on the walls for future explorers who found their broken village.

The realization that the end times were upon them weighed heavily and the second miner threw a tantrum, he struck with the ferocity to knock the woodcutter to the ground and went on a rampage, slashing, stabbing, bashing, wrestling, and biting before calming down and going back upstairs to sleep. The woodcutter spent his final days laying in a pool of blood slipping in and out of consciousness and when his eyes opened he saw the story of the end etched into every stone surface around him and a casket abandoned in the corner. He died of thirst in a tomb of his own design. The miner never ended his break, he spent his last days full with cat meat but weak with thirst sleeping by the bleached bones of his former brother in arms peaceful in the knowledge that this end was inevitable. Had he carried instead of a casket a barrel of wine from the overflowing stockpile or a pick to dig an escape nothing would have changed. Had he hidden in another house, fled into the forest, or plead to the mayor for more secure lodgings this was the inevitable conclusion the end had already been written. As the light left his helpless eyes what was already known by three men and a cat was made official, Riddletrees had fallen.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17464 on: November 27, 2011, 04:05:57 pm »

my militairy is... is... gone...

the hammerlords, the marksdwarfs, the exotic lashers...

A FB came, with nocious fumes. That was not actually a problem, they just created some nausea and a small fever.
Somehow they also exploded
it was a slaughter
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17465 on: November 27, 2011, 05:32:50 pm »

For the second time my duchess has had my Swordmaster jailed for violation of a production (candy items). What is this I don't even... The Swordmaster has no metal/smithing related skills and yet he's the one who gets jail time. That bitch is going down. But let it not be said I'm an unforgiving overseer. She shall be outiftted with the finest leather and bone armour the fortress can offer before she's given the chance to redeem herself with blood.

Otherwise all is swell in Tradecradled. Goblins are beaten fairly painlessly and militia is expanding. Soon our fort should be making its first steps towards textile industry. Will have to see if I can get any surface plant dyes, or if I have to settle for underground ones. Cloth shall be provided by the dozens of sheep I have roaming about.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #17466 on: November 27, 2011, 09:52:09 pm »

I just started digging my entrance hall, and there's CAVE MOSS starting to grow in the dirt sections. I have not breached The Caverns as of yet, so I have no idea as to what's going on.

This happened to me once too but I never figured out why. I don't know if it's a bug, or if there's some way to get plants to grow naturally like that without breaching the caves. I'd be interested to find out.

I had this happen to me as well, and indeed, I usually set aside spare rooms of soil or clay specifically so I can use this feature. I personally think that it depends on how far down you've gone, not whether or not you've breached the caverns.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17467 on: November 27, 2011, 10:45:13 pm »

or if there is a cave somewhere in the world nearby
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17468 on: November 28, 2011, 02:47:19 am »

Watching my militia get town apart by Elven ambushers, then seeing my three legendary miners tear them apart. Seriously, I didn't even trade with elves yet!
This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

My X-COM UFO Defense LP. Finals Week Hiatus.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17469 on: November 28, 2011, 03:02:24 pm »

"Nobody is getting in now, with my new shiny drawbridge!"

An ambush!  Curse them!
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17470 on: November 28, 2011, 06:29:34 pm »

I somehow managed to find rock bars in my embark options.
Yes, your eyes are fine. I did say rock bars.

On a side note: Are said bars able to be forged into stuff?

Pray_for_Snow

• Bay Watcher
  • MATT DAMON'S TIMECLONE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17471 on: November 28, 2011, 06:33:35 pm »

Rock bars = Metal Bars..
This is an Artefact Thread. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with text and images of various dwarves. It menaces with spikes of data.

My X-COM UFO Defense LP. Finals Week Hiatus.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17472 on: November 28, 2011, 06:35:29 pm »

Rock bars = Metal Bars..
No, their name actually WAS "rock bars               5"

Has anybody else noticed this?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17473 on: November 28, 2011, 07:29:46 pm »

I somehow managed to find rock bars in my embark options.
Yes, your eyes are fine. I did say rock bars.

On a side note: Are said bars able to be forged into stuff?
Are you using any mods? I did a bad install of genesis and was able to embark with forgotten beasts and frozen glue.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17474 on: November 28, 2011, 08:18:34 pm »

Are you using any mods? I did a bad install of genesis and was able to embark with forgotten beasts and frozen glue.

Did they come in barrels?
Pages: 1 ... 1163 1164 [1165] 1166 1167 ... 3842