Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1073 1074 [1075] 1076 1077 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094398 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #16110 on: September 08, 2011, 04:40:14 pm »

Fort Bendcastle here, of the open-air cotton candy and infinite sky.

I've been doing OK so far - my FPS is OK, after I breached the magma sea / caverns and plugged the magma drainage with a little cheaty wall-creation with DFhack.

Also a minotaur got into my fort after I forgot what z-levels were and didn't plug the one hole in my impenetrable bridge-fest that was a hole in the ceiling. No one died, though; everyone just hid about 18-20 tiles away, spamming cancels, while my dogs, militia, and a cougar and cheetah I got off the elves hit it until it got tired and fell down, and then they hit it in the head until it... died of exhaustion or something I'm not sure what happened. There are some injuries from a bowyer and a dyer getting used as stress balls i.e. being shaken and strangled a bit, but that's what my hospital is for - I even have soap! (:o)

[FAKE EDIT: Actually someone did die. One of the miners/militia (I was trying to use the Miners-With-Picks-Kick-Ass thing, but nooooo they had to be wrestlers) suffocated. She was from the first migrant wave. And my dwarves have had a 1x1 meeting area for Armok knows how long. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiii- (though hopefully the +five gazillion from having all those friends will counteract the 'nooooooooo a friend dieeeed' so on that front at least I'm probably good, but legendary miners aren't cheap.)]

A dwarf was possessed by an idea while watching the minotaur get punched in the face. Possessed being literal, unfortunately, so they'll be back to hauling stuff and making even more friends soon enough.

I have about 1k in surplus power because I got bored and decided to put a dozen waterwheels on my brook. Any suggestions as to what I should do with it? (Magma's only 30 z-levels from the surface, I have both sand and clay, and this fort is going to be one that'd die of boredom if I didn't have the cotton candy to amuse myself with.)

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16111 on: September 08, 2011, 05:09:43 pm »

A child randomly got kidnapped by a goblin I never saw. Somehow.

Incidentally, my group had the random name The Poker of Faces. I named the fortress the Ace of Hearts to make it fit.
In my experience children are impossibly stupid. If you don't have a meeting area assigned they have a nasty habit of standing around outside usually far far away from anyone who could possibly help them or see the incoming goblins.

jimjulius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16112 on: September 08, 2011, 05:58:48 pm »

I just played through a fort in a cold evil forest. Had a lot of difficulty getting through the two layer aquifer; after I worked out the trick my dwarfs kept encasing themselves in ice along with their picks causing serious diggormortis.

I brokered a deal with some fellows from the mountainhomes for metal crafts to melt down and make more picks, which briefly worked before my new miners also encased themselves in ice.

After resolving to dig the initial channels in the spring when the water melted then break through the two aquifers in the next winter, I waited. Humans came and brought more metal objects for me to make tools, and so I was ready to start work that spring.

Two goblin ambushes came in late winter. With no stone or even a wooden wall to defend them, despite the malitia's best efforts the dwarves were slaughtered.

The best part, my dwarf civ was called "The obscure city". My goblin attackers? "The cruelties of obscurity"

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #16113 on: September 08, 2011, 06:02:38 pm »

I have about 1k in surplus power because I got bored and decided to put a dozen waterwheels on my brook. Any suggestions as to what I should do with it? (Magma's only 30 z-levels from the surface, I have both sand and clay, and this fort is going to be one that'd die of boredom if I didn't have the cotton candy to amuse myself with.)

I saw a few lovely topics about magma landmines, and magma fountians.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

inanity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16114 on: September 08, 2011, 06:22:10 pm »

My fort is in summer of its 3rd year with a population of 113 and has survived two sieges thanks to a well-trained and well-equipped military.   Everything has been going swimmingly.

But I was mining deep and I just got a message about a miner breaching a vast underground cavern and something about purple lights, then another message about hearing some screaming from below.  Doesn't sound very good, so I've ordered my non-ranged military down there, and ordered a wall be constructed to seal off the passage to the hole.  To be safe, I've defined a small burrow around the wall and assigned five masons to the burrow. 

I'm about to un-pause...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 06:29:51 pm by inanity »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16115 on: September 08, 2011, 06:30:59 pm »

My fort is in summer of its 3rd year with a population of 113 and has survived two sieges thanks to a well-trained and well-equipped military.   Everything has been going swimmingly.

But I was mining deep and I just got a message about my miner breaching a vast underground cavern and something about purple lights, then another message about hearing some screaming from below.  Doesn't sound very good, so I've ordered my non-ranged military down there, and ordered a wall be constructed to seal off the passage to the hole.  To be safe, I've defined a small burrow around the wall and assigned five masons to the burrow. 

I'm about to un-pause...

Have !!fun!! with that. And the wall's probably an excellent idea.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16116 on: September 08, 2011, 06:31:50 pm »

But I was mining deep and I just got a message about a miner breaching a vast underground cavern and something about purple lights, then another message about hearing some screaming from below.  Doesn't sound very good, so I've ordered my non-ranged military down there, and ordered a wall be constructed to seal off the passage to the hole.  To be safe, I've defined a small burrow around the wall and assigned five masons to the burrow. 

I'm about to un-pause...
That sounds a little unnecessary doesn't it? All you need is two maybe three cage traps to deal with any nasties that might be in the cavern and if you catch them you can use them on invaders.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16117 on: September 08, 2011, 06:45:13 pm »

My newest danger room was super effective. Since I'm doing a primitive 0 metal fort and cloth armor fails to stop blunt damage nearly half of my dwarves are near death with organ damage. As an added bonus a pet chicken followed it's owner and the trade liason followed the expedition leader into the room and were both fatally stabbed. My military now knows pain loss and death I think that's a nice jumping off point.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16118 on: September 08, 2011, 07:26:13 pm »

my main computer is down due to a graphics card issue (I'll get it next tuesday), and I just got dwarf fortress running on my wifes laptop. I got bored quickly (too many migrants), so I decided to dig deeper. Troglodites? puny. deeper still. eventually several (cough) overran my fortress and everything is dead. Ah... very fun.

Note: you know what happened, I need not explain my cough in detail for those few who haven't yet discovered what spoiler there is in the game. No cotton candy clown references for me :)
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

inanity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16119 on: September 08, 2011, 09:29:59 pm »

But I was mining deep and I just got a message about my miner breaching a vast underground cavern and something about purple lights, then another message about hearing some screaming from below.  Doesn't sound very good, so I've ordered my non-ranged military down there, and ordered a wall be constructed to seal off the passage to the hole.  To be safe, I've defined a small burrow around the wall and assigned five masons to the burrow. 

I'm about to un-pause...

Have !!fun!! with that. And the wall's probably an excellent idea.

The masons are nowhere near us yet and these ... things ... are already pouring through the hole in massive numbers  and have killed the dogs and puppies that were stupid enough to stick around wondering why their masters were fleeing in terror.  So I alter my previous orders to station the military on this level behind a wall that would never be built in time, and instead send them up a few dozen z-levels to the bedrooms where I order masons to block the path down.

Unfortunately, two or three of my best squads ignore me, preferring their original destination, perhaps because they are almost there anyway?  As it turns out, they pay for their insubordination with their lives.  I can't afford to let those things into the main fortress; the masons cannot be delayed; they proceed to seal the stairwell with solid Alunite.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:39:48 pm by inanity »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16120 on: September 08, 2011, 11:44:36 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Okay, HFS talk is over. Well, mostly, but candy-talk is to be expected from Bendcastle.

Bendcastle has its first candy strand! So happy that one of my 60-odd migrants had strand extraction. I've gotten them their own personal little suite down by the forges, with a craftdorf shop, a dining room, and a bedroom all their own. I might expand it to having a small food stockpile that takes from the main one, just so they can stay down there for longer periods of time.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16121 on: September 09, 2011, 08:54:53 am »

Getting lots of Forgotten Beasts.  One of them, a giant mauve firefly with a poisonous sting, baffled me with it's bone-shattering kicks and limb-crippling wings.  How the hell does a firefly wrestle with it's wings, anyway?
Still making slow progress on my iron castle.  Everything else is going normally.   8)
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16122 on: September 09, 2011, 09:42:09 am »

I lost a training battle in my arena. elite goblin spearman unleashed its power and now hes massacring my population

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16123 on: September 09, 2011, 04:48:00 pm »

Hehe. I've gifted the dwarf caravan a moss opal figurine of Ingiz Knifewounds. That oughta make ol' kingies day, getting a figurine cut from a gem that depicts him being made king. Normal value was given at 400 but at the depot it had become 812.

There's also a similar one in basalt going that way.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16124 on: September 09, 2011, 05:32:54 pm »

My medieval castle fort is digging its moat. Two squares wide by one z deep for now, I'll widen and deepen it as the population grows. The city wall will be three thick, two z's tall with three z tall corner towers, and will be made of Sandy Clay.

Housing will be made of clay bricks and roofed over with wooden blocks as planks. The houses themselves will be two z's tall, 5x5 on the inside, and will have a single level basement. The floors will be made of wooden blocks. The house basement will have a kitchen workshop and only the owners of the house will be profiled to use it.

Most full-time military will be armed and armored in iron, with knights being in steel and paladins in bismuth bronze.

The Keep will be 5 z's tall, 10x10 in size, and will be made of blocks of whatever stone we manage to scrounge up. The first two levels will be military barracks with 3x3 rooms. The 3rd level will be the noble's Throne Room (one chair) with 10 armor and weapon stands, 5 on each side. The 4th level will be his/her Dining Room with a table and chair made of the finest metals our smiths could use. The 5th level will be his/her ornate Bedroom, with a bed studded with fine precious metals, 20 chests with 10 on each side, and 10 statues lining the way to his/her bed. There will be 5 statues on each side.

The level below the Keep will have a 10x10 Training Room for sparring. Statues will be used in place of live targets (the training soldiers will use live weapons), because we cannot lose whole squads of soldiers to the job to 'Spar'.

Our archers will practice in the towers (there will be archery targets in them on a couple of levels).

The next 7-10 levels will be an expansive dungeon system consisting of 3x3 rooms with only a bed, a barrel of food and a well. I have removed the tag that makes dwarves so [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]. They get by fine with drinking water.

The noble's tombs will be 5x5 for the Baron, 8x8 for the Count, 10x10 for the Duke, and 15x15 for the King/Queen. The Baron's tomb will be smoothed and filled with his possessions. The Count's tomb will be smoothed, have one statue per corner, and be filled with his possessions. The Duke's tomb will be smoothed and engraved, have a statue for each side and corner, be filled with silver and gold items (raw bars included), and will have his possessions in it. The King's tomb will be smoothed and engraved, have multiple statues on each side and corner, be filled with high-value metal crafts, have precious large cut gems, hold crafts of gold, silver, platinum, mithril (Civ Forge), and Adamantine, and will be filled with his possessions. In all cases, a memorial slab will be placed where the opening used to be.

This is how I imagine this fort to be at one point. Sorry if this post was long.
Pages: 1 ... 1073 1074 [1075] 1076 1077 ... 3842