Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1065 1066 [1067] 1068 1069 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094816 times)

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15990 on: September 02, 2011, 07:38:38 am »

luckily, no Giant Skadgers
I may have spoken to early... there are skeletal and zombie badgers, though of normal size. They're on the other side of the stream, but my dwarves interrupt all their above-ground work and run around aimlessly. Above ground work includes getting any food or booze ::)

In other news, one of the miners lost his left hand to a zombie milkfish and refuses to work now. He can't pick up equipment, so I disabled the mining labor, but he's still standing around with "no job" instead of going to the makeshift hospital.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 07:41:21 am by moki »
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #15991 on: September 02, 2011, 08:19:41 am »

dwarves interrupt all their above-ground work and run around aimlessly. Above ground work includes getting any food or booze ::)

Dig ramps under that aboveground food stockpile, watch barrels fall into safety, ???, profit! ;)
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Gilihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15992 on: September 02, 2011, 08:57:26 am »

Just embarked on a glacial volcano, my citizens are curb-stomping a yeti to death, but they can't get food or drink until they kill it, because it is blocking the entrance to my fort. So they are starving, dehydrated, tired, and still punching and kicking this yeti.

At least they are growing stronger...

Migrants came, were added to the militia, and joining in.

Dehydration has claimed 3 lives, and will probably claim more.

And then another Yeti came and killed almost everyone. I locked it in my fort so that I might meet it in adventure mode.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 09:28:51 am by Gilihad »
吴钧非君也非臣也非小人也不善不恶欲无道无名

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15993 on: September 02, 2011, 09:47:54 am »

This most recent fort (the one with the four way evil goblin/ogre/troll cusinart) known as "Cilobar" has had a few years of peace with which to produce the following...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
which has the longest descriptive text, although not being worth as much as this, the mightiest of 25 statues produced in like manner:
If bone engraving wasn't broken, it would have had every animal, beast, and enemy with bone engravings as well, but alas, it was not to be.

Legendary gem cutters, legendary gem setters, legendary blacksmiths, legendary metalsmiths.  A good time was had by all, and I learned the dwarves will pick the "nearest" object based on three dimensions, not just two, which is definitely "fun" to deal with.  8)

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15994 on: September 02, 2011, 11:17:30 am »

In the middle of a tantrum spiral, expanding the catacombs, and not managing to keep ahead of the demand for burial space.

I started a new fort. In the second autumn a forgotten beast appeared in the caverns and proceeded to eradicate a tribe of batmen. Oddly, it kept on exuding a deadly gas and then getting caught in its own vapours. Lucky I sealed the caverns off completely for now.

Then the dwarven caravan arrived. And a goblin thief made it right to the depot in the heart of my fledgling fortress, scaring the merchants, who ran away, straight into an ambush of goblin lashers. I activated my tiny military of two hunter/marksdwarves and three miner militia who drove off the invaders but not before I'd lost half a dozen civilians in a fort of 40.

During the digging of burial chambers, construction of coffins and memorial slabs, and hauling of corpses, one of my miners went berserk, and killed another miner and marksdwarf before being put down. Dwarves were tantrumming and overturning coffins before the corpses could be interred. There were some fist fights and then a murder. So I assigned a sheriff who went around beating up criminals, when he wasn't tantrumming himself. He killed a couple of criminals too. The outpost liaison left unhappy when my expedition leader turned melancholy. The replacement expedition leader got himself imprisoned, went berserk himself while still chained, causing job cancellation spam from every dwarf that walked past him until he was put down.

Too much FUN. Also, stone traps are worse than useless.

Specter513

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15995 on: September 02, 2011, 12:07:07 pm »

"Engraved on the wall is an image of purring maggots by Doren Roldtherush."
wat
Leprechauns actually. That "magically delicious taste" prefstring soon lead to their total extinction.
Congratulations, you killed the only things considered dominant and have heralded the end of civilization in your world as you know it.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15996 on: September 02, 2011, 12:09:07 pm »

"Engraved on the wall is an image of purring maggots by Doren Roldtherush."
wat

Purring maggots are milk producing vermin, they functionally no longer exist because they come from pits that aren't included in the latest version.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15997 on: September 02, 2011, 12:19:43 pm »

dwarves interrupt all their above-ground work and run around aimlessly. Above ground work includes getting any food or booze ::)

Dig ramps under that aboveground food stockpile, watch barrels fall into safety, ???, profit! ;)

I did it the hard way, after some migrants arrived: Got everybody in the militia and dug ramps under the beasts.
Regular badgers are only slightly more dangerous than other wildlife, because of their tendency to go into martial trance. The undead kind is not as bad as you'd think and was easily rendered into pulp, though some more dwarves were injured. The passage to the other side of the river got sealed up afterwards to stop other enemies from crossing over.

I also laid the foundations for the "F* the world!"-device which will, of course, involve magma. Lots of magma from a big pressurized tank, to be precise. I hope, I can get enough magma-proof materials from traders to construct the actual pump stack. It's only 18 levels high (embark with very shallow underground), but that's still a lot of pumps for the double-stack, I plan to build.
And yes, I think of flooding everything (especially the stream for giving me skarp) with magma before building bedrooms and a working military. If everything goes well, I won't need military... if not, well... that's what we call "Fun"  :P
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15998 on: September 02, 2011, 12:25:04 pm »

Dropped a horse foal in one of my "goblin pits" today (holes below retracting bridges where I neglected the size of the hole so the gobbos survived the fall).  It bit a hammermans hand off and kicked his brains in.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15999 on: September 02, 2011, 12:55:10 pm »

Dropped a horse foal in one of my "goblin pits" today (holes below retracting bridges where I neglected the size of the hole so the gobbos survived the fall).  It bit a hammermans hand off and kicked his brains in.
Good horsie.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16000 on: September 02, 2011, 02:01:42 pm »

A werewolf jump a legendary blacksmith. There was a bit of a scuffle, the blacksmith's hip got ripped out and arteries in his arms and legs got torn, but the werewolf eventually ran away from the beating he was getting.

The blacksmith, being a civilian, wasn't going to chase after the werewolf, so I unleashed my chief medical dwarf, who caught up to the werewolf and bashed him in the head with his crossbow.

The blacksmith has received medical attention and is already back to work.

MonsteR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16001 on: September 02, 2011, 02:31:11 pm »

Finally found a good embark with tons upon tons of magnetite and limestone, so my metal industry is set. Just got made a barony. Looking at the civs screen is a laugh, the Human General and several of their Lords are all drunks xD

Table Turning

• Bay Watcher
  • Turnways.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16002 on: September 02, 2011, 02:33:10 pm »

Finally found a good embark with tons upon tons of magnetite and limestone, so my metal industry is set. Just got made a barony. Looking at the civs screen is a laugh, the Human General and several of their Lords are all drunks xD
My civ Queen is a drunk.
Thats another use for useless immigrants.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16003 on: September 02, 2011, 02:37:11 pm »

This most recent fort (the one with the four way evil goblin/ogre/troll cusinart) known as "Cilobar" has had a few years of peace with which to produce the following...

which has the longest descriptive text, although not being worth as much as this, the mightiest of 25 statues produced in like manner:
If bone engraving wasn't broken, it would have had every animal, beast, and enemy with bone engravings as well, but alas, it was not to be.

Legendary gem cutters, legendary gem setters, legendary blacksmiths, legendary metalsmiths.  A good time was had by all, and I learned the dwarves will pick the "nearest" object based on three dimensions, not just two, which is definitely "fun" to deal with.  8)
Value?
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16004 on: September 02, 2011, 02:41:51 pm »

Value?
First one, 132k, second one 144k. (part of the image file names, so I didn't mention it)
Pages: 1 ... 1065 1066 [1067] 1068 1069 ... 3842