Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1063 1064 [1065] 1066 1067 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095069 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15960 on: August 31, 2011, 03:55:58 pm »

I was besieged by werewolves so I sent a emergency team of 3 marksdorfs (they were actually Keepers because I'm doing a thing right now) with no training to distract them while my well trained army decked out in steel got ready to butcher them. A few shots are fired and the werewolves immediately flee, when I look at the combat logs I see that the giant jaguar their leader was riding took an arrow to the heart, then two of the werewolves were hit in their throats and the leader was hit in the heart all in rapid succession. I hope werewolves talk, I want the world to know that Chirpacted is protected by a sniper perimeter.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 04:54:30 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15961 on: August 31, 2011, 04:58:03 pm »

Yi. All these long combat reports!  :o

The 4th siege of Tower Divine arrived at the end of Winter.  Three squads of infantry and one of trolls.  The trolls were slow and got locked out while the goblins "attacked" the West and East access tunnel simultaneously.  An elite goblin archer wounded to the death a watch peahen before losing both hands to a serrated disc.  The two grinder set ups pretty much obliterated all three squads and then my three spear lords came down and wiped out what was left.   Three prisoners for the arena and interrogation while a load of copper and iron gear heads for the smelters.

Project work is aiming towards starting "The Black Tower" using material coming out of the new obsidian caster. It will be on the far side of the river from the main fortress and have a nice magma moat and other "warm" assets once I work out the logistics of getting magma transported across the width of the fortress footprint. I do not particularly want to built another pump stack down to the Magma Sea and finding a cavern-dodging route for the first one was not that simple.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15962 on: August 31, 2011, 11:29:12 pm »

Kudos to the inventor of the animal watchtower.  They detected two ambush groups near my tunnel entrances right after a peahen in the tunnel alerted me to a snatcher already there.  The snatcher got a spear lord reception committee and was skewered.  Some more of my regulars were summoned and the ambush groups were allowed into the tunnel pretty far before getting charged by six fully armored spear and axe dwarves.

The lone goblin with a crossbow got off three shots (all blocked) before getting overrun and chopped down.  From there the dwarves kept a tight formation and took out the strung out goblins in detail.  Crippling axe or spear hits followed by a spear to the head once the goblin fell over.  And a goblin team leader was wounded and then got his skull fractured by a militia captain kicking him in the head.

At the same time the elves were trading in the Depot.  They didn't bring wood this time, so the only items they had of interest were pets and purchasing extra booze.  I now have a mating pair of giant jaguars to work with.   :D
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15963 on: August 31, 2011, 11:29:23 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...I have nothing more to say.

Oh, except notice all the debris at the bottom of the massive waterfall. :P There's a few dwarves in there, two dead and one alive, a few piles of clothes, and a whole heap of stuff washed down from the trader's caravan that walked through the waterfall.

At least, most of my dwarves are fed now!  :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15964 on: August 31, 2011, 11:55:15 pm »

got a giant ROC with 4 names as an uninvited guest, lost 4 dwarves to it so far, had immigrant wave arrive just after the roc showed, took down the wall to let them in and a gem setter and her baby headed out to collect a sock... the Roc charges the gem setter, the Roc bites the gem setter in the head, and the severed part sailed off in an arc, the baby has it's lower right leg torn off, and bleeds to death. a few minutes later I spot a child rushing out to store an owned item... it's the Gem setter's younger daughter, and the girl meets the Roc with predictible results, a few minutes later the husband (a novice hunter) is seen going out to store an owned item, he makes it back carrying something his wife had been wearing.
 I check his thoughts:
 lost a wife to tragety, lost a child to tragedy X2, spoke to a child, had a baby recently, ate in a fantastic dining room, slept in a fine room, and admired a fine waterfall.
so he's estatic.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #15965 on: September 01, 2011, 04:26:58 am »

All is... bad in Numtosid.

Last year [153] was pretty disasterous one, we lost 20 dwarves altogether to year-round sieges. No caravans visited us to get us meat and alcohol. We are running low on everything - metals, food, drinks, and honestly I think I saw a dwarf who preferred drinking water from well than plump helmets and wine all the time.

Now it's Spring and I hope for elves to arrive. We really need a lot of stuff.

EDIT: Fffffuuuuu, goblin siege ;-;

EDIT2: Eh, at least it went without casualties.

EDIT3: That's it. No food or drink in Numtosid. Only water.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 04:38:41 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15966 on: September 01, 2011, 05:41:43 am »

Guess it's time to eat the newest migrants. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #15967 on: September 01, 2011, 06:06:05 am »

Guess it's time to eat the newest migrants. :P

I don't even get migrants anymore D: Well, it's Felsite now... the spring huge wave should arrive shortly.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15968 on: September 01, 2011, 06:37:38 am »

My clothier starded demanding cloth and since I have a massive stockpile of wool and plant cloth he obviously wanted silk. Well when the caravans arrived bearing tons of the stuff my broker dicked around for over a month and the clothier went insane. Now a bunch of people are depressed because he had enough free time on his hands to know everybody, including he people who had to stab him until he stopped attacking people.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15969 on: September 01, 2011, 06:46:10 am »

Stalin, why did you wait for your broker to trade, then?

And I'm being scum; I closing the game without saving because I want to see if I can get it to kill itself without killing any Dwarfs.

First time it killed my main militia captain + two other melee militia Dwarfs, second time it just killed two marksdwarfs who stood too close but it then died as well and this time I let it go further into my fortress and it killed eighteen adult Dwarfs, three children and a dog and it's still alive. ALL those kills are due to its deadly dust; frozen and boiling extracts. Hoooly shit. I fear I just have to sacrifice my awesome militia captain. :(

This run from 73 to 49 in a few minutes; only damage to the fb is due to its own extracts and two bolts.

Final tally; eight dead before it was shot in the brain. It dies as Dungo Dungosnustrok Usbu Ana. GodDAMN. It's kills in this final time were Ustuth Tathurmorul Etomroldeth Takuth, Axedwarf and militia Captain, Ral Ducimrithlut the Hammerdwarf, Urdim Loleretest, recruit, Momuz Olonthabum, recruit, Unib Silled, Marksdwarf, Rigoth Gemsitezum, Marksdwarf, Amost Thikutikum, Jeweler, and Rakust Dodokathel the planter. I'll have to mass-grave them, I used to dig 2x2 rooms for each coffin (unless they had family), but that doesn't seem a good idea anymore.  :(

Also; it seems as if I lost a legendary weapon. Which odd because I thought thieves escaping with your stuff gave a seperate message. Though there were Rhesus Macaques around. Maybe the extract destroyed a weapon. :?

I feel a tantrum spiral coming on; my weaponsmith is one of probably many who is unhappy and I've very little in the way of militia left (most are dead or in hospital) to subdue any berserks. My miners are doing medical duties as is my manager/cmd; my only REAL doctor is wounded as well.

Edit; I've never had this many dead. 65 live Dwarfs (of which 7 in hospital) and 41 dead ones.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 06:50:49 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15970 on: September 01, 2011, 06:52:19 am »

Stalin, why did you wait for your broker to trade, then?

I refuse any responsibility, I'm throwing crocodiles at my broker and that is final!

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15971 on: September 01, 2011, 09:39:09 am »

During an ambush, early in my fortress where my Dwarves were still hiding out in a quickly set up encampment with wooden walls and gates, we got a goblin ambush. I made a makeshift militia, and ordered them to patrol, but nobody actually started shooting them from the walls. Anyway, after a while of being locked out, one Dwarf got pissed, threw a tantrum, and killed the whole armoured, armed squad with nothing but his BARE HANDS! It's DWARVEN HAAAAAAAAALE!
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15972 on: September 01, 2011, 12:43:06 pm »

In a single quote from the combat reports (about 15 seconds after embarking): "The skeletal carp stands up"

I usually embarked in wilderness or untamed wilds, but this time I wanted a little more challenge... so off to a haunted stream it is. This may have been a mistake. I took some silver war hammers and dwarves trained to use them and also a woodcutter/axedwarf and 10 war dogs, but that didn't help much at all.
The wagon materialized right next to the river with a horde of skeletal carp which promptly walked out of the river (how, exactly?) and ate 2 war dogs before my improvised military even managed to pick up their weapons.

The final death count of the first minute:
12 assorted undead fish (mostly skarp)
1 skeletal doe rabbit (fierce little bugger tore the woodcutter's face off before being hacked in two)
3 war dogs
1 weaponsmith/hammerdwarf (fell into the river)
1 expedition leader/cook (as above)
1 woodcutter's face. But it healed while he walked back to the camp. I'll keep an eye on that guy.

I already love this embark, though my dwarves may have a different opinion ;)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15973 on: September 01, 2011, 12:44:17 pm »

In a single quote from the combat reports (about 15 seconds after embarking): "The skeletal carp stands up"

I usually embarked in wilderness or untamed wilds, but this time I wanted a little more challenge... so off to a haunted stream it is. This may have been a mistake. I took some silver war hammers and dwarves trained to use them and also a woodcutter/axedwarf and 10 war dogs, but that didn't help much at all.
The wagon materialized right next to the river with a horde of skeletal carp which promptly walked out of the river (how, exactly?) and ate 2 war dogs before my improvised military even managed to pick up their weapons.

The final death count of the first minute:
12 assorted undead fish (mostly skarp)
1 skeletal doe rabbit (fierce little bugger tore the woodcutter's face off before being hacked in two)
3 war dogs
1 weaponsmith/hammerdwarf (fell into the river)
1 expedition leader/cook (as above)
1 woodcutter's face. But it healed while he walked back to the camp. I'll keep an eye on that guy.

I already love this embark, though my dwarves may have a different opinion ;)

"Skarp" is clearly the word of the day. Thank you!
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15974 on: September 01, 2011, 01:10:40 pm »

There's an FB made of solid fire marauding around the caverns setting all the moss ablaze, boiling all the water to steam, and generally murdering my FPS. This things going to end my fortress without ever coming near it.
Pages: 1 ... 1063 1064 [1065] 1066 1067 ... 3842