Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1062 1063 [1064] 1065 1066 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095052 times)

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15945 on: August 30, 2011, 05:25:36 pm »

The river and waterfalls froze, I began enacting operation FalterFall, and then the dwarf caravan arrived, slowing my plans (too many trade goods ;D). If all goes well we'll be able to regulate the water flow, extending or damming the second fall at will. And at the bottom where my migrants drowned will be a chamber with ceiling hatches and a bridge outward (a drown trap).
Pull the lever, hatches open, waterfall crashes into chamber, pull other lever, the bridge lowers, and anything inside is swept away. (I'll probably have a third lever that does both simultaneously)(Maybe one day it'll double as a whirlpool trap)

Noticed a chink in my plans. The first waterfall at the top of the map feeds the second, so it's pressurized up to my fort's level (it's like 12 z's up). This means that if I dam it with a single bridge it'll just overflow, flooding everything within 30 Urists. The way around this I see is if I make a pipe that it can drain into, which could lead to water landmines...
  This embark's too easy to weaponize.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 05:27:19 pm by ArKFallen »
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #15946 on: August 30, 2011, 10:14:28 pm »

New embark after the old one got boring and suffered a fps death. Genned a new world. Found a nice civ (at war with furies. FD mod). Decided that I would try a volcano-less map this time so I embarked on a flat 4x5 map where a river and two streams meet. Found an aquifer a few levels down. Decided to mod aquifers out. Found that aquifers could not be modded out in-game (needs re-embark). Pushed ahead and built a massive screwpump system to eject water into the river. Drained first layer and walled it up. Dug into next soil layer. Found second aquifer. Rearranged existing pumps to service next layer. Drainned it and walled it off. I was feeling quite proud of myself now and I started digging halls and bedrooms in the rock. Diverted a stream to block my entrance from outside and built a wall and a bridge to protect my artifical island (might not help with the furries though). Then, first winter, the river froze. Up to this point I had thought that this tempeate zone was on the warmer side but it is just at the right place so that for one game week the river becomes a highway for any invasion force. I might have to build a magma stack to flood the riverbed with magma just to keep it fluid. Or just wall off my entire island.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15947 on: August 31, 2011, 12:19:02 am »

Have had nothing of interest occur aside from more digging holes and pitting a Cavern Rover Kitten. CRK has found nothing interesting except for tower caps. Lots of tower caps. Metal industry is on hold while I debate whether to make copper crap for weapon/armorsmithing practice, or jump straight into steel since I do have magma forges and smelters available.
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.
- The Invisible Man in the Sky

IDDQDwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15948 on: August 31, 2011, 01:39:55 am »

One of my veteran warriors had a rough time during the last siege. He left the battlefield with two fewer feet and two fewer upper arms than he entered it. It got carried off to the hospital and was lucky to have his other wounds stitched up and bandaged. After some hospital rest, he decided it was time to get back to his day job as a lumberjack. However, he quickly complained of occupational complications, including not being able to pick up an axe, due to lack of arms and hands. This has made him woefully depressed. He hobbles back and forth from the booze room to bed, trying to pass the time.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #15949 on: August 31, 2011, 03:19:39 am »

One of my veteran warriors had a rough time during the last siege. He left the battlefield with two fewer feet and two fewer upper arms than he entered it. It got carried off to the hospital and was lucky to have his other wounds stitched up and bandaged. After some hospital rest, he decided it was time to get back to his day job as a lumberjack. However, he quickly complained of occupational complications, including not being able to pick up an axe, due to lack of arms and hands. This has made him woefully depressed. He hobbles back and forth from the booze room to bed, trying to pass the time.

That is immensely sad.  He's like a war veteran, with no easy place in a peaceful society.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15950 on: August 31, 2011, 04:29:16 am »

Give him a waterfall in his room and make it handicap-accessible. Ramps to and from the dining room etc etc.  Poor guy!

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15951 on: August 31, 2011, 07:55:11 am »

Finishing the magma ducts for my freezing glacial above ground fort for heat.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15952 on: August 31, 2011, 08:24:49 am »

The BadgerMan has become enraged! x16

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #15953 on: August 31, 2011, 09:03:42 am »

I just used embark anywhere to embark on what appeared to be a tiny (1x1) volcano out in the middle of a lake. I get there to find out that it is in fact not above-water as the embark screen's height maps showed, but a pit in the middle of the lake. My dwarves apparently trekked across the frozen lake to sit there until it thaws and they drown/die in the cave-ins/lava.

Sadly, I think I'll have to let this one go. My computer cant survive the thaw anyway...

I'm trying to do the dead-civ challenge, and resurrect my civilization using rumrusher's fortress retirement method, in the middle of a secluded mountain range, safe from the outside world. (Except the 150 or so titans and various other horrors...) This is the first world that has both impressive secluded mountain lakes and valleys, and what im hoping is a dead dwarf civ. (It still shows up on the civ selection screen, but the world sites and pops file shows no dwarves, not even a single individual. i just searched for 'dwarves' and 'dwarf', came up with nothing. Plenty of dwarven swine (cave pigs) though.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 09:22:43 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15954 on: August 31, 2011, 09:26:58 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Drive away? Drive what away?

Nice shot, from two z-levels and one and a half screen away.

Edit; Oh lordy. Veilurns's second siege has arrived; a vile force of turdburglars. 17 Crossbowgoblins, 15 Macegoblins, a macelord, an elite Bowgoblin and a master lasher. Makes me wish I had set up something humorous with the caged Cyclope I still have.

They are accompanied by 8 trolls; Nako, Ago, Dostngosp, Olngo, Olngo, Dostngosp, Ngokang and Stozu. Gosh jinkies.

They'd already killed a bunch of animals before the first Dwarf kill; Id Edimlogem. I'd recruited him in an auxiliary crossbow squad just moments before but due to me giving a wrong order he got eviscerated with projectiles, but luckily the first hit was in his brain.

Now Endok Isholtar of one of my melee squads went in a martial trance without a weapon. He took four pages of bolts thudding into him before one of them hit his brain. He wounded one goblin. A goblin caught in a cage trap but my melee Dwarfs advance too far; they face them in front of the cage traps. :(  Nako Kutsmobatog felt Meng Oltartaron's silver maul on its brain and decided it did not want to repeat the experience. Zaneg Besmarustuth, Macedwarf, who had been pummeling Nako with his bronze morningstar was shot dead. Kutsmob Matouspra speared in the head and killed. The slayer Olin Amostrifot who is indefatigable, mighty and agile was shot in a lung a moment after. The Goblin Macelord Bosa Logusnamoz dodges a wounded war dog's snapping jabs and falls into the river. Osa Umastasost was punched in the brain and died. Meng Oltartaron is wouned among four goblins and is sustaining incredible wounds and is enraged but he won't make it for long. The brainpuncher Solon Uznil has no armour, weapon or shield but has jumped in among the goblins to help Meng Oltartaron. Solon causes a Goblin to fall in a minor ditch, presumably to no ill effect. Solon is hit by one of a cloud of bolts and falls the same way. The war dog who made the Mace Lord swim bled to death. Many bolts were exchanged, wounding on both sides. The Goblin master lasher is still whipping away on Meng's bronze helm. For about nine pages now. Ngebzo Xuspgasolox is relieved of a heavy burden; both leg and head. More animals bleed to death but for a Yak BUll who has been riddled with bolts for eightteen pages and only has a single hoof left which isn't wounded. The recruit Udil Idustuth was shot. Meng Oltartaron is still being wailed on, now with a copper crossbow to the head. Militia Captain of Squad B, The Roots of Gravel , Ustuth Thaturmorul Etomroldeth Takuth has killed Smunstu Emsposmo the Crossbowgoblin with her dagger. The Yak bull has suffocated; its wounds must have pierced the lungs.

Solon Uznil has been shot and killed. The Goblin Mace Lord has drowned. The Master Lasher and a second Corssbowgoblin were caged. So were trolls Ago and Olngo. The Axedwarf Bomrek Morulnimak was knocked unconscious atop a weapon trap with silver spears which eventually killed him. The Mayor Stodir Alathatol who was supposed to lead the emergency crossbowsquad D; (accidentally posted) The Clasps of Air, charged an intruder without bringing a weapon or armour. One of the silver spear weapon traps brained a Crossbowgoblin. Another Goblin was repelled by a similar trap and fell onto a hammerdwarf who promptly delivered a beating. The mayor is shot in the lung and ish having trouble breating. Usbu Snodublobok, who fell on the hammerdwarf, is hammerd on its brain. Another Goblin falls on the corpse.

So far; fifteen of the Crossbowgoblins have perished; the Mace Lord has died, the Elite Bowman is no more, two Trolls were caught,two Crossbowgoblins were imprisoned and the Master Lasher is caged. Left are seven Crossbowgoblins (more than at the start, therefore), fourteen Goblin Macemen and six trolls. Eight Dwarfs have gone to feast in Armok's Halls.

Another Crossbow caught and two others perished. Others died; two free Crossbowgoblins remain, time to redirect forces to catch the trolls loitering near the fishing zone and then onto the macegoblins who have so far only glared at a bunch of weapon traps which inflicted minimal damage. One of the remaining two fled, the other was unconscious and executed with an axe to the head. Both melee militia captains of Veilurns need to rest, as does the mayor. The hospital will be overcrowded. Trolls led by one of the Dostngosps destroy a useless floor hatch which really only covered stairs into a single z-level pond of 7/7 water. The other Dostngosp suffers from a rare and debilitating disease called "bolt in brain" and has left this field of sorrows.

Checking the river I notice two more Goblin corpses in it; the Elite Bowgoblin and a macegoblin. Currently marshalling the melee forces to march onto the macegoblins while the crossbowsquads hold station atop my walls, hopefully shooting Trolls and Goblins alike. Goblin maceman Smuntsu Oslotstatost had been knocked unconscious by bolts when he or she followed a stray Dwarf and was now executed; decapitated by Atir Sokansolon's axe. This is Atir's fourth notable kill.

My remaining melee Dwarfs (barring those in hospital) advance on the macegoblins causing some of their number to break loose from the rest and attack. My Dwarfs ignore my order and charge onward. Atir Sokansolon is the first to engage but soon finds herself stunned. They smack her head with their maces and she loses hold of her shield and axe. Poorly equipped recruit Dumat Logemrul becomes axedwarf for a moment before his skull is laid open with an iron morningstar; he perishes. His only notable kill had been Nomar Gillbeaches the Forgotten Beast. Edzul Amaldishmab has been struck down moments after he became speardwarf. Feb Ducimgebar, unbelievably strong and tough Recruit grows unhappy; Edzul was her husband. Feb Ducimgebar is struck down. Normally i try to entomb spouses together in one chamber but I couldn't at this time. Wrestler Ineth Lorzon was struck down. Atir Sokansolon was struck down. Five of the remaining seventeen melee Dwarfs were killed; the rest retreats. Only one of the Macegoblins was slain in this clash. Mosus Elralrilbet the Speardwarf is fleeing four macegoblins; was struck down. Urist Gidthurulon of squad D was struck down. Another troll was caged.

Seven Dwarfs in hospital, only two on beds. An eight one was wounded elsewhere. Ushrir Koganrithzam the Speardwarf has knocked one of her two assailants unconscious and shatters his, Zolak Zanbax, skull thrice before tearing the brain. He then bites Aslot Straluukos in the arm. He and Shorast Lesastdoren kill Aslot. The melee squad retreat back into the fortress where trolls still lumber near. A weapon trap with a twohanded sword removes Osta Deloosta's right arm in its enitrety.

A hammerdwarf of the c-squad, the reserve, was assailed by multiple goblins and his movements caused a goblin to fall into the river. My war Gorlak Kadol Ralzefon pet of Bomrek Asenzurol, the planter who killed a gremlin, is now also in the fight and seems to be losing. :( Eshttan Astthimsur was struck down. Kadol Ralzefon the War Gorlak has bled to death. :( :(

Someone's pet war dog died. Ushrir Koganrithzam is dying. Recruit Deduk Deleram was murdered. Vucar Asrutod is no more. The macegoblins have done more damage than the cossbow-bearing ones. Two macegoblins and four trolls remain.Sodel Gusilsokan and Fath Oglogem dead. Zom Stosbublago has gotten a longer name; Zom Stosbublago Nozzuttosmston Unu. I've deleted all my pastures because they were pasturing animals instead of doing USEFUL stuff. Zom tried to kill yet another marksdwarf but my militia Captain Ustuth Scribepadged the Sacrificial Anguish of Chasms kills him before he could. Twelfth notable kill. Ustuth HAD been hospitalized, indeed, but the wounds healed on their own accord and now she saved a fellow Dwarf. One Goblin and four trolls left. The last goblin died. At the bottom of a small pool but cause of death unknown. Zasit Nokoroslan suffocated, so Zom DID get that last kill. :( Ustuth kills trolls Stozu and Dtostngosp. Ngokang falls to her blade later. All other squads are stood down and she is the only one of the four left of her squad who is still about. Legendary. Olngo is defooted and will soon perish. Victory. VEILURNS STILL HOLDS.

I just noticed that Feb and Edzul had a child.Of eight years old.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:15:41 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15955 on: August 31, 2011, 10:27:21 am »

The waterfall project still lightly floods the area, so we've placed that on hold. It isn't really worth the FPS cost when everyone is content and above and the 'fall is really two 'falls.

Still love my magma forges. There's a fire imp doing the cha-cha in the volcano, but so far that is all. I hatched the three open spaces over the magma-channel that are not used. If I think of it, I'll station a squad up there.

I have finally made a few crystal glass things for my demanding mayor. That I have let him live this long is beyond me, but I did have to know it was possible to make such items. Clearly, it is. Also, I am trying to dig for/import zinc. She likes nickel silver. I have layers of marble/gabbro, so we are looking.

My Count is far cooler, in that he likes silver and leggings. No comments, please. And fire opal. When I finish his new room, he will go nuts. Fire opal encrusted silver everything.

And I am big enough to be a Mountainhome. Let us see who pops up. After all, I am on a volcanic island.

Oh, yes... Trogs, Crocs, Cudgels, different simians - sadly nothing fun. Worry not, fun should come.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15956 on: August 31, 2011, 12:59:06 pm »

I just used embark anywhere to embark on what appeared to be a tiny (1x1) volcano out in the middle of a lake. I get there to find out that it is in fact not above-water as the embark screen's height maps showed, but a pit in the middle of the lake. My dwarves apparently trekked across the frozen lake to sit there until it thaws and they drown/die in the cave-ins/lava.

Aw, you should save it. Turn cave-ins off, and you can have a floating lake town. Not your typical dwarf establishment, but whatever floats your boat...
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15957 on: August 31, 2011, 01:17:04 pm »

jESUS, I was busy editing the previous post from 1:51 tot 20:16; the siege (and me pausing) took THAT long.  :o

Edit, actually, No. That's the difference between forum-time and my computer time. And it was 1:15. Oops. Still, lots of editing. Now to lick my wounds, bury the dead, take care of the wounded, etc.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:29:18 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15958 on: August 31, 2011, 02:27:47 pm »

BIG Tantrum spiral. Virtually every dwarf is miserable, most of my military is hospitalized with FB rot, the latest goblin ambush was repelled by the dwarven caravan guards, loose war grizzlies and the dead bodies of a dozen distracting peasants and sheep, and roads and buildings are being toppled left and right.

The only dwarves who AREN'T miserable are my chief medical dwarf (currently resting in his own hospital with three broken toes) and an axedwarf with no friends. I am currently using good old Sarvesh as a scalpel to combat the dwarves that berserk, and a shield to defend the hospital.

EDIT: No sooner had I written this than a Cyclops decided to join the party. He chased down a dwarven child, but right as he grabbed the child by the back tooth Sarvesh arrived on the scene and utterly destroyed the Cyclops.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:33:26 pm by monk12 »

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15959 on: August 31, 2011, 02:55:06 pm »

Aww, an elk bird killed a Dorf and now I have a baby lying around in my cavern without parents; the father died in the siege and the mother was killed by the elk bird Dalkamdalzat.

Also; my fort is more or less back on its legs, still lots of wounded, but it's going. And then an fb appears, of course. Fun.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:42:42 pm by FrisianDude »
Pages: 1 ... 1062 1063 [1064] 1065 1066 ... 3842