Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1054 1055 [1056] 1057 1058 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094124 times)

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15825 on: August 26, 2011, 12:00:57 pm »

[...]so my dwarves built magma pumps out of wood (!) and powered the whole thing with perpetual motion... take that, real world physics! So far, there's no damage and I thinkg it's pretty stable as long as there's no magma on the pumps.
I have no idea, where I went wrong, but after restarting the pump stack to fill the magma reservoir (for magma landmines), the whole thing disintegrated. The pumps deconstructed themselves and the magma that already was at the surface trickled down and right into the perpetual motion generator at -2z, completely destroying it.
Building this thing took a freaking year and now it breaks down with not apparent reason? Oh man, this is neither Fun nor fun...  :(

At least the military is restored to its former glory and even further. An armorsmith got possessed and made "Bembulmeng" - "The Mechanical Lash", an Adamantine mail shirt with several menacing spikes, but no interesting images. It now protects the captain of "The Armored Uncertainty", my elite squad which will eventually be clad completely in the lovely blue metal.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15826 on: August 26, 2011, 02:44:02 pm »

Got attacked by a Forgotten Beast. A towering Pangolin in human shape. Blind, deadly spittle yadda yadda. Its "deadly spittle" was exactly the same as the first and only mountain titan I had in a previous fort: A frozen extract hurled at my poor dwarves. Often easily deflected and didn't cover them with hideous side-effects due to being frozen and all.

The bastard reached my fort-entrance inside the cavern a fraction of a second my legendary weaver did (made a pretty dress). Ofcourse, the poor sod didn't get the chance to close the door in time. The defences down there were appalling and the militia was still dozens of z-levels away so the weaver got mauled and got help from the three stationed war dogs. All of these dogs were pets due to me trying to assign a gorlak to a dwarf, which has left some dwarves rather miserable. The war dogs got, in order, hurled against a wall 10 steps away, killed with a punch and kicked. The weaver was stomped after the first dog got hurled against the wall and killed.

Luckily enough, the forgotten beast (now with a last name too, was named "Qish" before.) didn't seem to be capable of hitting the first marksdwarf who arrived. Hit him with extract but the dwarf was too nimble to be hit in melee apparently and the beast didn't fare much better trying to hit my macedwarf (silver mace), my hammerdwarf (silver maul), my speardwarf (steel) or my axedwarf (steel halberd). Good thing too because I had 3 empty coffins already in chambers and needed the three coffins I had in my stockpiles for the pet cemetery.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15827 on: August 26, 2011, 02:44:35 pm »

[...]so my dwarves built magma pumps out of wood (!) and powered the whole thing with perpetual motion... take that, real world physics! So far, there's no damage and I thinkg it's pretty stable as long as there's no magma on the pumps.
I have no idea, where I went wrong, but after restarting the pump stack to fill the magma reservoir (for magma landmines), the whole thing disintegrated. The pumps deconstructed themselves and the magma that already was at the surface trickled down and right into the perpetual motion generator at -2z, completely destroying it.
Building this thing took a freaking year and now it breaks down with not apparent reason? Oh man, this is neither Fun nor fun...  :(

At least the military is restored to its former glory and even further. An armorsmith got possessed and made "Bembulmeng" - "The Mechanical Lash", an Adamantine mail shirt with several menacing spikes, but no interesting images. It now protects the captain of "The Armored Uncertainty", my elite squad which will eventually be clad completely in the lovely blue metal.
Were you using magma-safe materials for those screw pumps?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15828 on: August 26, 2011, 02:59:11 pm »

The fortress walls are steadily being raised and defenses are being built. Farming is commencing in the Internal Pasture area. The foundations for a magma waterfall, hallway of firey death, magma flood trap, and obsidian farm are being sited.

Also, for some reason, a lot of dorfs are having little dorf babies.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15829 on: August 26, 2011, 03:43:31 pm »

First Spring is over, and 10 of my 90 Turkey Eggs have hatched. I was planning on forbidding ALL of them, but I accidentally only blocked 10... I'm kinda thankful for that now, 100 Turkeys is a bit much.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15830 on: August 26, 2011, 03:55:54 pm »

First Spring is over, and 10 of my 90 Turkey Eggs have hatched. I was planning on forbidding ALL of them, but I accidentally only blocked 10... I'm kinda thankful for that now, 100 Turkeys is a bit much.
I raise cave crocodiles, every time one of those clutches of 50+ hatches I spend half a season jamming the little bastards into cages just so my fps doesn't tank. In the future if you ever want to make sure all your eggs hatch remove "Turkey Eggs" from the objects your food pile accepts and don't allow your dwarves to use them in prepared meals. It beats trying to race Urist to the nestboxes.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15831 on: August 26, 2011, 04:00:18 pm »

True, but even with only ~20 bastards in my murder waiting room turkey pasture, that Z-level takes a small FPS hit. I shudder to image 200 turkeys...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15832 on: August 26, 2011, 04:10:20 pm »

True, but even with only ~20 bastards in my murder waiting room turkey pasture, that Z-level takes a small FPS hit. I shudder to image 200 turkeys...

My experience with crocodile armies also tells me that if you have 200 less than a third will make it to adulthood. It's worse with cave crocodiles because so many have the same mother but they tend to bunch up and step on each others toes and when that happens they murder each other.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15833 on: August 26, 2011, 04:26:31 pm »

Just give them each a tiny pasture that doesn't touch any of the other tiny pastures. 

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15834 on: August 26, 2011, 04:28:30 pm »

No weapons-grade metal in my new fort Bisekvucar either; only ore is of tin. So now my melee squad is armed with wooden shields and training spears, and with leather, bone and shell armour. Their captain has a larch breastplate. I'm fucked if Goblins attacked. :P  Even troglodytes take a hell of while to slap silly.

And my small marksdwarf squad is named "The Gloved Entries." Too bad I can't use rubber. :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15835 on: August 26, 2011, 04:35:14 pm »

Wood weapons?! You sound like an Elf...

:P

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15836 on: August 26, 2011, 05:28:56 pm »

No weapons-grade metal in my new fort Bisekvucar either; only ore is of tin. So now my melee squad is armed with wooden shields and training spears, and with leather, bone and shell armour. Their captain has a larch breastplate. I'm fucked if Goblins attacked. :P  Even troglodytes take a hell of while to slap silly.

And my small marksdwarf squad is named "The Gloved Entries." Too bad I can't use rubber. :P

Import all the copper you can- Bronze is pretty good, and if you've got the tin it is certainly the most cost effective use for it. Once you start having enough iron/steel to properly equip your dwarves you can move over to Pewter manufacture.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15837 on: August 26, 2011, 05:46:56 pm »

That's the logical course of action and he did request bars from the liaison although he needed me to remind him of copper cages, crafts, figurines, ores and the like. :P

Aaaanyway. My expedition leader went gaga. Miserable. Stark raving miserable. Locked her op in her own bedroom. Poor thing couldn't handle the loss of a friend and later the loss off at least one, possibly two of her war dogs.

My new expedition leader is a great siege engineer who likes ballista parts. He got the job because of being an adept comedian. He's taking over as manager, bookkeeper and broker as well. Bookkeeper isn't quite necessary yet and no appraiser or judge of intent for broking, picks up organising just fine.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 05:48:39 pm by AWdeV »

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15838 on: August 26, 2011, 05:50:05 pm »

Use catapults to fire stone at enemies. Arm your dwarves entirely with wooden crossbows and bolts, training weapons suck.

Or, replace the blunt attacks on training weapons with attacks like stab or slash and replace them with the normal weapon's edged attacks. I did this, never tested it though.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15839 on: August 26, 2011, 05:54:32 pm »

My miner/mason is on a break that he's been on for about a game month now, and he's STILL not done on the fortifications that I've ordered. AND, to add to the danger, there is a troll and a pack of troglodytes wandering around. AND I've no way of fending them off. This is NOT good...
Pages: 1 ... 1054 1055 [1056] 1057 1058 ... 3842