Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1052 1053 [1054] 1055 1056 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093681 times)

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15795 on: August 25, 2011, 02:29:20 pm »

Two bloody bastarding swarms of troglo-gits. First one ripped the throat out of my armourer. A second one ambushed a marksdwarf sent to exterminate the first group (which had apparently split and this one was elsewhere) then when I wanted to kill the last troglo a new swarm appeared who gangbanged another marksdwarf to death. Not that he didn't make it as difficult as possible, being enraged, incredibly tough and quick to heal with a quality breastplate and some other bits and bobs of armour. Had a helm but eventually got kicked through the face.

Last of the troglodytes have been mopped up, I'm sealing that entrance to the cavern. Still have 5 of the bastards in cages.

Gorlak is still thirsty and one of my miners has succumbed to infection. Despite having been released from hospital. The other miner seems to be recuperating fine. Has had two soapy baths already and is no longer pale.

edit: I forgot to mention that the troglodyte who managed to land the killing blow on an irate dwarven warrior tried slapping a different warrior with a waterskin from the first. Was wine in the damn thing too, I don't think you're supposed to shake it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 02:31:50 pm by AWdeV »
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15796 on: August 25, 2011, 03:35:03 pm »

After the great deadly dust catastrophe of 509, everything's back to normal in the beginning of 511. The quarantine period is over, migrants arrive again (despite the danger) and there are 70 dwarves of which 28 are in the military - enough to defend against most sieges and ambushes without traps or the newly built quarantine mechanism. That one's fun, though. When I first opened it again after more than a year (remaining military stationed right behind the raised bridges), there were 40 elven ambushers waiting outside and a few goblin thieves, too. I can only imagine their surprise, when they're just idling around the gate und suddenly the door opens and 8 legendary+5 soldiers rush out and slaughter everybody. Yep, the 8 useless recruits grew into real killing machines during the quarantine.

In other news, the magma pump stack was finally started. It's only 14 levels deep/high as the map is very shallow, but I'm still a little proud that everything works as planned. There's only galena (about 20.000 pieces overall) in this embark and the little iron I get from traders is needed for armor, so my dwarves built magma pumps out of wood (!) and powered the whole thing with perpetual motion... take that, real world physics! So far, there's no damage and I thinkg it's pretty stable as long as there's no magma on the pumps.
So far, the magma is only used to power the forges and smelters in the above-water castle, but I'm already planning a pressurized magma cistern for generous gifts to all invaders. I'm not sure, if it's going to be a simple flood-the-world device à la Boatmurdered or a more complicated one with "magma landmines". We'll see soon.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15797 on: August 25, 2011, 04:41:15 pm »

I've embarked on a sinister forest with no aquifer. I've got loads of clays and a natural waterfall down the hill. I drafted several dwarves as wrestlers to ward off the skelyies. I hope to have some cage traps up soon so I can capture the buggers. This fort's main export will probably be cloth or precious metals, seeing as I have tons of soil and the fort's name is "Nutgilt".
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15798 on: August 25, 2011, 05:17:36 pm »

Giant badger killed a poorly equipped speardwarf. In punitive expedition the Badger Othoslilar was knocked unconscious and severely wounded as was one of it's fellow assholes. But not before Othoslilar removed a foot AND a hand from my militia commander, the only one with a mail coat and a metal weapon (and a masterful turtleshell helmet.) So, damn. He can still survive, the  MCOM, but I'm  afraid the badger will escape. The dead speardwarf (Olon) has a masterful marble coffin.

He's been replaced by an Atir who is now the second Atir of a five-dorf militia. Before Olon died I had an Onol (de Mcom), an Onul, Olon, Atir and Sazir. Heh.

I'll definitely have to think about setting up a crossbow group instead of these wooden training spear-bearing recruits. Masterful spears, but still.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

MonsteR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15799 on: August 25, 2011, 06:00:52 pm »

Askadoth has fallen. After celebrating the wonderful luck that my main staircase was directly lined up with an adamantium vein, some overzealous digging left me with a fort full of demons. They did not respond well to attempts at diplomacy.

I begin anew with Zuntirkosoth (Anvilpalace)! I actually have Flux now, this embark screen didn't lie to me like the last one >_>

I'll definitely have to think about setting up a crossbow group instead of these wooden training spear-bearing recruits. Masterful spears, but still.

Anything but training weapons! Have you no weapons-grade metal at all? Dig man, dig!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 06:02:29 pm by MonsteR »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15800 on: August 25, 2011, 06:22:16 pm »

Training spears?  Man, even the elven wooden crap are better than training spears, regardless of quality.

I made an aluminum statue for my baron's room.  It is a statue of one of my random migrant mechanics.  None of my metalworkers know him and he did nothing of note.  He is one of my baron's friends though...commissioned job maybe?

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 06:25:00 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15801 on: August 25, 2011, 06:52:38 pm »

I got a migrant wave of 3 (yeoch! that's weak) with 2 mostly useless dwarves and a novice metalcrafter/mason. My 3 man militia took down a bunch of weak undead bare-handed, and even better when I gave them training swords.
Everything's cruising along when a skeletal deer attacks my metalcrafter. I activate his squad and he's torn apart. Then my other 2 militiamen come and even they are killed. These are guys who wrestled a skeletal cougar and tore apart boar's with their bare hands, killed by a deer! This has prompted me to do 2 things:
1) Create a graveyard/statue garden (with slabs before graves and everything)
2) Begin searching for war metals to forge into armor/weapons and begin crafting bolts

Edit: And I apparently have an odd aquifer layer which is in silt and breached by silt
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15802 on: August 25, 2011, 06:56:58 pm »

Daggerdepths is now 30 years old  :o

My dwarves are getting old and wrinkly. Not old enough that they'll die soon but pretty old, 118 being my oldest. 16/50 are 100+ years old.

I had children immigrate early on at ages -1 and 3 and they're now 26 and 29. The 29 year old has been training as a wrestler since he grew up and only recently got Legendary +5 in it  :-X (and is the only L+5 wrestler).

I counted em up and my military have recorded 1346 notable kills, pretty much all goblins and trolls. The top slayer is still Deadpool with 151 kills, averaging 5.03 kills per year (kills are spread out pretty evenly)

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #15803 on: August 25, 2011, 07:13:33 pm »

Well I started a new expedition; Copperstricken. I have good feelings about this one...

Got the basics covered, food, booze, wimmin. Dug out the beginnings of the circular stairwell into the future fortress proper, discovering gold(!) in abundance in the third level. I've been mining it out, ruining the stairwell, but since that was going to be my main level anyway, I'm not too concerned. FPS strangely went up, going from 85 to 100 (capped) between saving and loading this evening. My head miner managed to break her shoulder, arm, and leg.

It's quite funny, her laying on the dining table/desk of my manager. I can just imagine what she thinks as she watches her leader calmly do the stocks to one side, while the others come and go, eating to either side of her. Maybe I should build a traction table? Then again, I have no casts nor means to make them. My Head Quack is going quackers because I have nothing for him to work with. Even had to make some buckets to clean the patient, and the vomit-covered bed she drug herself to after breaking half her body.

Edit that: My former head miner is dead. Her friends are annoyed. And the migrants dumped her in a refuse pile meant for the dead horse that I have no idea *whistles nonchalantly* where it came from. I think I drafted most of the migrants into a squad. Unfortunately, nothing is around to kill them. I do think I have a coffin. I'll place it outside somewhere.

Second update: I managed to build her a coffin in the same room as the beds and common dining room/office/hospital/museum. Now it also serves as a mausoleum.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 07:53:23 pm by azrael4h »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15804 on: August 25, 2011, 09:34:24 pm »

My fortress was beset by a Forgotton Beast, a great Oxpecker with a shell- beware its fire! As usual, the FB itself went down fairly quickly with no hits landed on my dwarves, but the fire set the world alight, slaughtering every herdbeast and roasting one of my idiot Hammerdwarves who decided that the fastest way back to town was through the fire and the flames.

The wildfire was wrapped halfway around the fortress when DF crashed  ::)  Guess I'll have to replay that boring summer and see if my next FB is more FUN

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15805 on: August 25, 2011, 10:18:53 pm »

I now have plans.

My fortress, whose name I forget, is within a valley. My main fort dominates much of the one half of the valley, with a planned mausoleum on the other half..

However, I have decided that the entire right-hand mountainrange shall become a temple. A massive, multistorey temple built entirely out of obsidian, with a large obsidian mausoleum underneath. one filled with catacombs containing all sorts of horrors. My Engravers will have a tough time engraving the entire thing - and my job will be even tougher, since I plan on casting the entire thing out of obsidian rather than building it block by block.

Gneiss and Obsidian statues will alternate, with an appropriately magmatic emblem floor covering.

I am excited.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15806 on: August 25, 2011, 10:20:57 pm »

I now have plans.

My fortress, whose name I forget, is within a valley. My main fort dominates much of the one half of the valley, with a planned mausoleum on the other half..

However, I have decided that the entire right-hand mountainrange shall become a temple. A massive, multistorey temple built entirely out of obsidian, with a large obsidian mausoleum underneath. one filled with catacombs containing all sorts of horrors. My Engravers will have a tough time engraving the entire thing - and my job will be even tougher, since I plan on casting the entire thing out of obsidian rather than building it block by block.

Gneiss and Obsidian statues will alternate, with an appropriately magmatic emblem floor covering.

I am excited.
Cool.

Hey, aren't you the guy who came up with the 'dwarvish magma cannon' a while ago?

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #15807 on: August 25, 2011, 10:26:06 pm »

After playing df for an entire year, I finally had my first tantrum. A farmer died from my starting seven, making my CMD miserable and throwing tantrum after tantrum. Also, I noticed that there was a lot of miasma at my original meeting area, so I moved it into the caverns. Totally not a bad idea...
/Blatant Lies

This was a world that I cooked for an entire day (10000 years). You hit the first cavern at about 9z, and then you hit a magma pipe at 14z, and the sea is I think 20z. I can't believe how shallow it is.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #15808 on: August 25, 2011, 10:49:10 pm »

Problem: I have an uncontrolled magma flow, I may have used non-magmasafe mechanisms along with the bauxite floodgates, as they held when closed, but once the magma was released, they don't appear to be able to close.

Solution: channeled over the magma channel, and put a clear glass hatch over it, then built a wall around it, and am linking a lever to the hatch; the area over the hatch will be designated a Pond, and when sufficently full, the level will be pulled, hopefully creating an obsidian plug.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15809 on: August 25, 2011, 11:10:58 pm »

Cool.

Hey, aren't you the guy who came up with the 'dwarvish magma cannon' a while ago?

Sadly, no. I've only been a Bay12er for about two months. I'm not really known around here for my wild contraptions and science experiments... yet. Hopefully that will change.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!
Pages: 1 ... 1052 1053 [1054] 1055 1056 ... 3842