Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094614 times)

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15750 on: August 23, 2011, 05:45:04 pm »

I'm waiting for more sieges in Fortress Defense, but I've only had two incredibly weak waves of dark stranglers, whose bones are now being used to train a horde of Competent Marksdwarves.

I also have a 5-man squad that I'm covering in what little metal I can scrounge and training as high as possible. My commander is awesome so far, and he's mostly clad in iron and steel.

However, the marksdwarves won't train on the lovely firing ranges I built for them :( They're just standing in the meeting hall 'unable to carry out orders'. Yes, they're set to train. Yes, there's a walkable path to the targets. Yes, the schedule is set to Train (10 minimum). I don't know what to do...
[Signature]

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #15751 on: August 23, 2011, 06:05:19 pm »

I'm waiting for more sieges in Fortress Defense, but I've only had two incredibly weak waves of dark stranglers, whose bones are now being used to train a horde of Competent Marksdwarves.

I also have a 5-man squad that I'm covering in what little metal I can scrounge and training as high as possible. My commander is awesome so far, and he's mostly clad in iron and steel.

However, the marksdwarves won't train on the lovely firing ranges I built for them :( They're just standing in the meeting hall 'unable to carry out orders'. Yes, they're set to train. Yes, there's a walkable path to the targets. Yes, the schedule is set to Train (10 minimum). I don't know what to do...

Check "F" for ammunition on the squad military page

Check that they have quivers

Check that you have ammo
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

alesia

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:ANY_MAGMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15752 on: August 23, 2011, 06:49:30 pm »

Hammerwork has just experienced that rare occasion: a winter wedding!  Four years after they started courting, the following occured...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tharwen:

Try setting your minimum lower.  At 10 minimum, if you don't have 10 dwarves in the squad and all of them ready to train (not taking breaks or eating or whatever), all of them will do absolutely nothing.  I usually set my min at 2 lower than the actual number of dwarves I have in the squad so one or two can go off and take care of needs at a time.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 06:52:50 pm by alesia »

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #15753 on: August 23, 2011, 07:19:01 pm »

Just got my first magma forges up. YEs, first. I'm new here, so this is !!EXCITING!!. (that last on fire due to a hurried wall-building escapade.)
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15754 on: August 23, 2011, 08:26:35 pm »

I discovered that a massive wall of cage traps is as useful for preventing hordes of badgers as it is for preventing goblin thieves.

The badgers shall be trained into war badgers (I love modding sometime) and the goblins shall be... um... catapulted. I love catapults.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15755 on: August 23, 2011, 10:36:24 pm »

I discovered that a massive wall of cage traps is as useful for preventing hordes of badgers as it is for preventing goblin thieves.

The badgers shall be trained into war badgers (I love modding sometime) and the goblins shall be... um... catapulted. I love catapults.

Edit: Having a slight badger issue in my paddocks. While building an outdoors area for my butchery and kennels, a gang of badgers somehow clambered around the cage-trapped entrance and are now murdering every bit of livestock that I have. Which is annoying.

One badger discovered that my entrance also consists of many, many spiked wooden balls that spin very fast; this has lead to said badger becoming not so much one whole being as a lump of mince in the rough size and weight of a badger.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15756 on: August 23, 2011, 10:40:08 pm »

Currently using my time to build the villa (challenge: all nobles must be imprisoned safely kept in an above ground castle or villa. Citizens and military can do w/e). The villa walls are currently being built for marksdwarf based protection, nest boxes and hives are present in the courtyard for food. I've modded the game to have the ability to tame ratmen and a few other fun creatures (nothing overpowered) to chain up in arenas and as guards in place of wardogs.
Pitting chained ratmen against goblins will be fun.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

sarus92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15757 on: August 24, 2011, 12:52:27 am »

Had to start a new embark.....Immigrants where spawning on the other side of the river and I didnt even notice till they started tantruming and going stark raving mad and everyone was to lazy to build a bridge..

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15758 on: August 24, 2011, 01:00:34 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Aftermath of a battle.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15759 on: August 24, 2011, 01:01:40 am »

Had to start a new embark.....Immigrants where spawning on the other side of the river and I didnt even notice till they started tantruming and going stark raving mad and everyone was to lazy to build a bridge..

I don't really see the problem with that...?

Well, I just had a goblin incursion. Most of them got caught in my cage traps, but one shifty bugger slipped inside. Nasty piece of work cut down fourteen dwarves before my military jumped him.

Just as I was busy cleaning up, a forgotten beast somehow got into my fortress. Fantastic. I'm not sure how it did it, since all of the caverns are sealed off, but it got in and killed one presser before I sealed it into an unused mineshaft where it can wander around gassing itself until its eyes rot out.
Check out my RtD!

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15760 on: August 24, 2011, 01:57:14 am »

Just had a Towering Skinless Alligator with three tails, beware its poisonous sting! Sent my entire squad after it, but of course my best trained troops were occupied with important matters of state (IE, someone dropped a barrel of ale! Take it to the stockpile!). My newly recruited Marksdwarf held the beast off until my Speardwarf arrived... with no spear. He beat the crap out of the beast using his shield, but the monster kept mauling the Marksdwarf. Finally, the rest of the army arrived and the Alligator was killed. The Marksdwarf suffered motor nerve damage and lost her right hand, but she was alive; sadly, she suffocated half way to the hospital.

Probably for the best, she's been sad ever since her husband drowned after building a floodgate in a rapidly flooding hallway and saved the fortress. And she would have been bedridden anyways... I will provide her with a nice tomb, though.

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15761 on: August 24, 2011, 04:42:09 am »

Just had the human diplomat show up to my tower project.

He was wearing an elf tooth crown.

I like his style, but am tempted to murder him for that hat.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15762 on: August 24, 2011, 08:33:19 am »

ohai there Frisian.

Yo.

Also, I'm going to start a new fortress. Gen a new world. I had 138 Dwarfs, everything was going swimmingly, legendary engraver, armorer, weaponsmith, leatherworker, cook and multiple crutch walkers, even had my first barony but the game crashed and it was becoming really slow anyway. I lost the barony in the crash and therefore also the progress I had made with digging out and smoothing the baronial chambers. So, fuck it, and imma start a new fortress. Goodbye Gusilsazir, Copperbridges, you've been grand but boring. Almost no goblins or funny big creatures. Biggest nuisance has been that I was capturing more Dralthas than I could use.  ::)

Edit;
Also, I made bug bats tame and trainable.

That IS stylish.

Edit 2; Holy fuck I've already stumbled upon the first cavern. Almost completely marble. With easy-access underground sea so I shan't need to bother with digging a cistern. :P
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 08:55:22 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15763 on: August 24, 2011, 10:07:21 am »

Now THAT's a moral dilemma.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15764 on: August 24, 2011, 10:17:21 am »

Pretty sure that means he killed an elf in worldgen. He's practically one of you.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0
Pages: 1 ... 1049 1050 [1051] 1052 1053 ... 3842