Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1044 1045 [1046] 1047 1048 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094975 times)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15675 on: August 20, 2011, 04:22:07 am »

Everything froze again, including a pool which had had three capybaras in it for months. I'm also digging out the corpse of the baby who had drowned in the spring and had then come back for a bit to haunt it's parents. It's put to rest, but I want to bury it anyway. Also, one of my bone doctors (the less useful one, this one is accomplished bone doctor and wound dresser) got a fey mood and he's taken a forge. His only make-skill is armourer so maybe I'll get a legendary armourer. <3 He's grabbed a lead bar, rough rhodolite en rough yellow zircon, highwood logs, black zircon, blue garnet, giant capybara leather en willow logs so far. He also likes low boots so I anticipate a big clonking lead boot artifact. :D

Edit; FUUUUCK. As I wrote this my legendary mason Rimtar Asteltosid fell into my waterbasin and died when she hit the floor. I'll be fucked if I know how to get her out. I suppose I'll have to dig a whole extra basin for this one to empty out into. Aww man, poor lady. :( She made my first artefact. My first adult death, too. :( :(

Edit 2; Tosid Shedim. The stop of shadows. 120720.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yay.

I now have a legendary weaponsmith, engraver (and a hm engraver), armourer, multiple crutchwalkers and multiple miners legendary and also a cook. Maybe more. I also HAD a legendary mason.  :(

Another edit; I rather hope the Goblins will be more active soon. I've got almost three million created wealth and all the gobbos have sent are about five or six snatchers, all of them failures. I've had no titan, forgotten beast, hill giant or even ogres either.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 04:39:55 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15676 on: August 20, 2011, 10:38:22 am »

I've built the welcoming hallway (which means, filled with weapon traps of 10 serrated glass discs each) thanks to an infusion of 200+ sand on embarkation.

I planned ahead to build the living quarters above and below the dining areas, and put kitchens and stills adjacent to said areas, with the well and hospital nearby also.

Below ground farms with above ground walls to guard the sunlight are working great, and I've realized that FLOWING water is needed to deposit mud, not just standing water.  This is good information to know when attempting to change stone floor into farmland.

My goal with this latest fort is to exceed the 260 population met with the last fort, but with plenty of room to grow.  Only FB to show up was made of snow, which... wasn't all that dangerous, as you'd expect.  Human caravans have nothing of value to trade, and I'm considering moving the animals underground so I can get more use out of the hallway.

Check: traps, incineration, magma works, glassworks, farms, water supply, hospital, cats, military. all good!

Quarry Bushes are crazy.  Farm bush, process bush. get leaves & seeds. cook leaves into meals.  mill seeds into paste.  Make glass jugs to store oil. press paste into oil (jugs).  Make ash from wood. make lye from ash.  make soap from lye and oil.  yowza!  All that for a freakin' bar of soap.  You ungrateful bearded rats better take a LOT of soapy baths!   8)

I wouldn't mind the soap making so much if it wasn't so buggy with the buckets.

And the first time I set up the military, and equipped the dorfs, one put on his equipment and promptly bled to death.  What?  Did he cut himself on the axe and die on the spot?  Good riddance!

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15677 on: August 20, 2011, 10:40:01 am »

A dabbling metalsmith was possessed, claimed a magma forge, and created an adamantine spike called "The Fat Punches".

It's worth 2.7 Million Dwarfbucks. Nooo! It'll take me at least two more seasons to clean up after the *last* goblin siege.

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15678 on: August 20, 2011, 12:27:58 pm »

Going to make an aboveground fort in a evil biome lets have some !!FUN!!!

Scraggletag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15679 on: August 20, 2011, 01:01:49 pm »

Previous post

I think I'm going to wrap up Lushmines.

It started as a challenge to see if I could make a successful fort with a zero point embark on barren wastelands. With no metal ores and an aquifer thrown in to boot.

The first few years were fun. The fortress was on the edge of survival. My dwarves were just barely not tantruming after months of sleeping in the dirt and drinking water. Forging my own pick from traded goods the first autumn was a huge victory. Second only to hitting dry stone after I pierced the aquifer using only traded wood.

But in the last couple years, things have gotten dull. Food and drink have been long since sorted out. Getting through the aquifer gave us plenty of living space and once-precious stone. Magma forges have let me melt down goblinite and forge my own weapons and armor. We've got lots of trees coming up in the second soil layer and now even most of my useless dwarves have their own bedrooms.

The military has steel weapons and some steel armor. They just slaughtered a triple ambush with only one casualty. Even the two who were wounded made full recoveries, thanks to an immigrant doctor.

Everything that was once scarce is now plentiful. Aside from the occasional silly mandate, there just isn't any challenge here anymore. I could conquer the caverns, or up the population cap to get sieges, but I've done those before, many times in many forts.

Lushmines was made a barony this fall. I'm going to let this fort go out on a good note for once.

Thanks for reading.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15680 on: August 20, 2011, 02:53:57 pm »

I mentioned in a prior post that there was a giant Lobster Forgotten Beast I didn't feel like dealing with.

Well, he somehow got into the fortress anyway, despite the only actual hole into the caverns being a well suspended four Z-levels above the water.

The good news is, one of my migrants from a few years back had come with a Lesser Steel Golem as a pet, which happened to be near the breach. And it turns out they are very good at fighting. By the time my military had arrived, four of the beast's eight limbs were broken while the Golem only had a few dents. I know what I'm requesting from the next caravan!

Also, a brewer gave birth to twins. Neat.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15681 on: August 20, 2011, 03:23:26 pm »

Lesser Steel Golem..?!
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15682 on: August 20, 2011, 03:33:41 pm »

Dwarf Fortress Advanced. I should have mentioned that.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15683 on: August 20, 2011, 06:54:44 pm »

Divine Tower had a quiet year with no goblin sightings.  The King arrived and set up shop in his nicely outfitted quarters.  He is seen roaming the halls investigating the goings on and talking to the duke or mayor.  The masons took the opportunity to complete the outer perimeter wall, top off the Blue Tower (coboltite), and also finish the roof of the Inner Keep.  The Miners Guild is digging out ore for the smelters and digging exploratory tunnels to work out the extent of the caverns.  A second vein of spoilerite has been discovered as well along with veins of native silver and horn silver.

Forgotten Beasts are still sighted here and there, but seem to be avoiding the trapped section after two were suckered in and killed.  The access tunnel traps are mainly getting visited by raccoons and badgers, though a grizzly bear did wander in.  It is now a war trained beast assigned to a military squad commander.

Beautification work was done as well.  Hallways have statues (including a section that is all militia commanders), the second dining room was opened, and the museum next to the Royal Throne Room is now open as well with historical engravings and Forgotten Beast artifacts.  And the main fort entrance has a set of statues:  One of dwarves celebrating the founding of the fortress, one of the goddess of fortresses, and 5-6 just outside the entrance depicting goblins finding gory deaths in traps or at the hands of dwarven warriors.

And most of an elven caravan was just bought for two prepared foods and a vial of golden salve.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15684 on: August 20, 2011, 08:07:30 pm »

This is the weirdest fort I've ever run. I set it up with the intention of building a wooden bridge resplendent with a wooden road across it. Unfortunately I've run out of wood... but the whole fort is unlike anything I've done before. It's almost exclusively above ground, and I've run out of non-economic stone! So odd.

I somehow created an aquifer layer (or something) and drained the sea into two tiny spiral staircase, creating an enormous waterfall. Whilst cool, it wasn't exactly what I had in mind. I'm waiting until winter for more wood and so the sea will freeze again so I can get in there and plug the hole.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15685 on: August 20, 2011, 09:23:15 pm »

Digging the magma ducts to keep the main compound and labour pods warm.
Labour pods are a nice little arrangment of beds in a space like this
###
  #
###
  #
###
  #
###

It's space saving and keeps the labourers sleeping somewhere warm while they toil endlessly, better than the slums the rest of them get because after 4 rows there's no more labourer space, it usualy later is used for storing the cages of prisoners and is renovated for a prison system as the slums are slowly upgraded to near actual population standards. Though they'll still be cold as hell considering they are on the surface usualy and this is a northmost glacial mountain, luckily we have a volcano for warmth. (I have this strange mental draw to glaciers and volcanos.)
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15686 on: August 20, 2011, 11:25:35 pm »

It has been an eventful winter in Drunkensteels.

First, my legendary miner decided to take another inexplicable leap down the mineshaft- this one fatal. I STILL don't know why it is happening, which frustrates me to no end. Since the lack of willpower on my dearly departed miner meant he took a long time to train, I decided to interview the candidates for his position more closely. His replacement has an iron will and a good kinesthetic sense, and while not agile is at least not clumsy.

While I closely monitored the replacement's first digging routes (avoiding clusters of minerals, excavating around bluemetal veins, so on and so forth) the Beak Dogs took advantage of my distraction to return in force. A random potter was mauled to death, and when my military was dispatched to combat the threat they managed to find the one hand without a gauntlet in the whole bunch, and rip it off. The hammerdwarf died of blood loss shortly thereafter. My military finished them off rather quickly- what's left of it, anyway. Half of the military is currently grizzled vets with grasping problems and jagged scars, and the other half is fresh faces who learn fast.

Its been more than a year since my last migrant wave, and the strain is starting to show on my military. I have four squads with nine soldiers among them. I may have to relax my recruitment standards to bring my squads back up to strength. Normally I only allow dwarves into the armed forces if their physical stats are a net positive, but if I take any more losses I'll have to draft some skilled-but-flawed dwarves to fill in as sparring partners.

I did mention the bluemetal earlier, right? My Pit of Eternal Falling and Dying has gone as deep as it is going to, and I've started exploratory veins along the contour of the magma sea. I've found quite a bit of galena down here, which is welcome news since I prefer to inter my dead in lead.

Speaking of the dead, the ghost problem has escalated to a ghost situation. That miner who died at the start of the season decided to open Spring by coming back- with a vengeance. He is murderous, and the first I heard of it was when he scared a Potter to death. I suspect this has something to do with the ghost that taunted him during his convalescence- knowing that nobody gets a casket unless they have a damn good reason, he decided to just start murdering people until he gets a proper burial. I'm currently cranking out some rock coffins to finish the ethereal menace once and for all- I can recycle them in a pet cemetery later.

About the only good news is that my hospital cistern is nearly completed (again,) with a new subterranean well. I should be able to start filling it before the month is out, barring unforeseen circumstances.

EDIT:

In the Spring, a giantess came to Drunkensteels. After an initial scuffle where an axedwarf maimed her arm, she led the military on a merry chase through the town. Distressingly, the fun came to an end after she fell to the ground. Completely paralyzed. Near the corpse of the dead Forgotten Beast.

Presumably she would have suffocated like my unfortunate soldiers did, had not the Swordsdwarf Sigun Boulderprairies the Tight Hawk stabbed her in the brain. Sigun is the only dwarf with a title in my military, and he's one of the oldest surviving members, having been drafted in the first migrant waves. He was instrumental in repelling the goblin ambushes in my second year, with 6 kills in the year 309. He now leads The Livid Clasps in battle, has nine notable kills to his name, and is the second most skilled combatant in Drunkensteels, behind my militia commander, the Expert Hammerdwarf.

In any event, I'll have to monitor whether any civilians or animals start dying of FB extract, and start designing a magma purification system in earnest.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 12:04:58 am by monk12 »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15687 on: August 21, 2011, 05:21:02 am »

Well, I think the above-ground fortress of Arbandeduk, 'Cradlemanors', is just about finished. :-\ Man, I am really out of practice!
The one remaining dwarf, after the fort weathered neglect from me, and attacks from ogres, harpies, trogolodytes, trolls, mole dogs and a lone plump helmet man, is my one-footed female sheriff/expedition leader, Urvad Velinod. No migrants have come the last couple of seasons.
I actually didn't even mean to assign her as sheriff, I did so accidentally and then quickly replaced her, but it was too late, she had her heart set on being sheriff and beat half of my tantruming dwarves to death. :P
Then went and had a bath. Since then she's been dabbling at a few various tasks, and the caravan has arrived, so hopefully I'll be able to buy some food and such to keep her alive a bit more, if she ever stops 'cleaning self' long enough to trade with them...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15688 on: August 21, 2011, 05:47:00 am »

Things are finally starting to come together for the 'Bridge of Love'. I've plugged the hole in the bottom of the sea, and the ocean is filling in again (spectacular). Suddenly, loads of trees started to grow, so my wooden road looks like it might finally be completed. Once that's done, I'll tidy up, finish the handful of buildings I made, deconstruct everything and then instruct my dwarves to sod off back to the mountainhomes.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Molgim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15689 on: August 21, 2011, 05:56:05 am »

In the Spring, a giantess came to Drunkensteels. After an initial scuffle where an axedwarf maimed her arm, she led the military on a merry chase through the town. Distressingly, the fun came to an end after she fell to the ground. Completely paralyzed. Near the corpse of the dead Forgotten Beast.

Presumably she would have suffocated like my unfortunate soldiers did, had not the Swordsdwarf Sigun Boulderprairies the Tight Hawk stabbed her in the brain. Sigun is the only dwarf with a title in my military, and he's one of the oldest surviving members, having been drafted in the first migrant waves. He was instrumental in repelling the goblin ambushes in my second year, with 6 kills in the year 309. He now leads The Livid Clasps in battle, has nine notable kills to his name, and is the second most skilled combatant in Drunkensteels, behind my militia commander, the Expert Hammerdwarf.

In any event, I'll have to monitor whether any civilians or animals start dying of FB extract, and start designing a magma purification system in earnest.

Why not put the corpse of the FB in an entrance that is blocked off 90% of the time and not used. When a new FB or MB turns UP, assign everyone to the burrows underground, lock the other entrance and partially open that one but not access all the way in. New FB comes in, paralyzed, dies.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 06:05:49 am by Molgim »
Pages: 1 ... 1044 1045 [1046] 1047 1048 ... 3842