Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1034 1035 [1036] 1037 1038 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6130242 times)

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15525 on: August 17, 2011, 02:39:14 am »

I've finally managed to complete a full first year without any major incidents to speak of. Only gotten a total of NINE IMMIGRANTS so far, so the fort is still incredibly tiny. We have yet to find any ores other than Sphalerite, which appears to be so common as to have eaten all the other minerals in the area. If nothing else, I'll find a use for it somewhere. Oh, and the planter fell in a pond and drowned while hauling a log because it had frozen over and I forgot to restrict the ponds.
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.
- The Invisible Man in the Sky

Molgim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15526 on: August 17, 2011, 03:11:13 am »

Well, things typical to dwarf fortress happened.

My digging down paid off and I found and adamantium vein. I began hauling this up the 108 z levels to be stored ready for my Legendary Armorsmith to make something terrifying from. Just as I was finishing this, Forgotten Beast number 7 turned up. No problem, I thought. My army of 30 will dispatch him as quickly as they did the last 6, given they are nicely kitted out and mostly hammerlords and axelords...
So the fight begins, without much of an issue he is killed with one casualty, a recruit who got pulled limb from limb. Then strange graphics flashing on the tiles... oh its fire. Everywhere. The beast seemed to have burst into flames, either that or it breathed a shit load of fire just as it died. One by one, over the space of 6 or 7 seconds, all 30 of my dwarves died. Some seem to have been poisoned, some from blood loss, others Im guessing from the raging shit storm of a fire.
My disappointment wasn't to stop there. The 20 or so War dogs that accompany my 3 squads are mostly alive and heading back up into my fortress. Fair enough I think. Until they too start dying from infection, just as they arrive at the meeting/food hall. Now, my food halls always seem to consist of a lot of dwarves and a ton of their little pets, rabbits, cats, dogs, goats etc. I allow them that small privilege. As the war dogs drop from infection, miasma clouds burst and spread rapidly. Other animals start dying from infection. Oh god.
Prior to this, Id linked my danger room up incorrectly, having been distracted. Id linked it to my bridge lever as well as my spear spikes. Id pulled it and not thought anything about it, about 5 minutes before the beast arrived. So, a further 5 levels up my fortress bridges had been raised, making the outside world a no go zone, including my corpse areas.
By the time Id figured out why no corpses were being removed, my population was down from 127 to 83, and most of the animals were dead.

Never again will I consider myself "set up and ready for anything". The hatches to the caverns are now sealed. The fort is clean, most of my dwarves are unhappy, mass production of coffins is taking place, plus slabs for those bodies still stuck in the caverns.

As a final point of misery, my golden artifact greaves, my artifact jaguar leather quiver, and my artifact bone shield are all trapped down in the firestorm caverns. I'll have to send down a party to get them, although I don't hold out my hope of them returning. There's blind ogres, troglodytes, another forgotten beast with poison, a heard of naked mole dogs and the ghosts of about 30 angry dwarves to get through.

I might flood the whole place.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #15527 on: August 17, 2011, 03:14:37 am »

My digging down paid off and I found and adamantium vein. I began hauling this up the 108 z levels to be stored ready for my Legendary Armorsmith to make something terrifying from. Just as I was finishing this, Forgotten Beast number 7 turned up. No problem, I thought. My army of 30 will dispatch him as quickly as they did the last 6, given they are nicely kitted out and mostly hammerlords and axelords...
So the fight begins, without much of an issue he is killed with one casualty, a recruit who got pulled limb from limb. Then strange graphics flashing on the tiles... oh its fire. Everywhere. The beast seemed to have burst into flames, either that or it breathed a shit load of fire just as it died. One by one, over the space of 6 or 7 seconds, all 30 of my dwarves died. Some seem to have been poisoned, some from blood loss, others Im guessing from the raging shit storm of a fire.
My disappointment wasn't to stop there. The 20 or so War dogs that accompany my 3 squads are mostly alive and heading back up into my fortress. Fair enough I think. Until they too start dying from infection, just as they arrive at the meeting/food hall. Now, my food halls always seem to consist of a lot of dwarves and a ton of their little pets, rabbits, cats, dogs, goats etc. I allow them that small privilege. As the war dogs drop from infection, miasma clouds burst and spread rapidly. Other animals start dying from infection. Oh god.
Prior to this, Id linked my danger room up incorrectly, having been distracted. Id linked it to my bridge lever as well as my spear spikes. Id pulled it and not thought anything about it, about 5 minutes before the beast arrived. So, a further 5 levels up my fortress bridges had been raised, making the outside world a no go zone, including my corpse areas.
By the time Id figured out why no corpses were being removed, my population was down from 127 to 83, and most of the animals were dead.

Never again will I consider myself "set up and ready for anything". The hatches to the caverns are now sealed. The fort is clean, most of my dwarves are unhappy, mass production of coffins is taking place, plus slabs for those bodies still stuck in the caverns.

As a final point of misery, my golden artifact greaves, my artifact jaguar leather quiver, and my artifact bone shield are all trapped down in the firestorm caverns. I'll have to send down a party to get them, although I don't hold out my hope of them returning. There's blind ogres, troglodytes, another forgotten beast with poison, a heard of naked mole dogs and the ghosts of about 30 angry dwarves to get through.

I might flood the whole place.

That was a typical run??!!
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15528 on: August 17, 2011, 03:19:01 am »

-snip-

Incredibly typical.
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.

Molgim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15529 on: August 17, 2011, 03:33:49 am »

-snip-

Incredibly typical.

The fact that it happened so late on is what was most surprising. Usually its within the first year that a sickening plague of disaster arrives.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #15530 on: August 17, 2011, 03:36:26 am »

Casualties mount. up to 11-12 now. Well over 3/4 of the militia... Another two legendary soldiers, including the famed 'Cripples', a very competent soldier, felled by a blow to the head through the masterwork steel helm he was wearing... I would have expected the militia commander, being the one to make ALL our masterwork steel armor, would understand the value of doing it MASTERFULLY.

i can't call them back because the entrance is STILL lathered in goblins, apparently sitting there like the fools they are, and most of them are still engaged, in a losing battle... Once they can retreat back into the fortress though, I will not be permitting them to leave

On the topic of the current discussion: I haven't even had a plague yet on this fortress.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15531 on: August 17, 2011, 03:43:12 am »

I haven't had any plagues myself either, but that's subject to change at any moment. The lack of any ore other than Sphalerite still terrifies me. I'm beginning to think that Shallow Metals meant 4000 Urists of Sphalerite and absolutely ZERO ores from which I can make copper or iron.
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,

Molgim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15532 on: August 17, 2011, 03:52:00 am »

I haven't had any plagues myself either, but that's subject to change at any moment. The lack of any ore other than Sphalerite still terrifies me. I'm beginning to think that Shallow Metals meant 4000 Urists of Sphalerite and absolutely ZERO ores from which I can make copper or iron.

Sounds like its time to hit those caverns  :D

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #15533 on: August 17, 2011, 03:53:57 am »

No, but it does sound like it's time to turn that sphalerite into masterwork zinc crafts for trade. Buy metal bars and/or ores.

I desperately need migrants. This fortress is falling apart and the military barely EXISTS anymore. The sieges are endless, and the trolls, ogres, cyclopes, minotaurs... their civs actually siege you, make you wait it out, not just attack. I changed that in later versions of my mod, so only 1 of the 3 possible civs besieges, while the others rush like goblins, but not on this older world...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 03:57:15 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15534 on: August 17, 2011, 03:55:26 am »

Sounds like its time to hit those caverns  :D

Though that does sound like a potential idea, I'm going to continue hollowing out the landscape a couple Z-levels further in search of something other than what I've found so far. Should that fail, I'm screwed as I have no ability whatsoever to actually create/control a militia when things decide to get dicey. I'm incredibly new to this game. It'll be absolutely wonderful to see how everyone dies though.

No, but it does sound like it's time to turn that sphalerite into masterwork zinc crafts for trade.

I've not got any lignite or coal thus far, so all smelting would need to be done through the fun waste of trees into charcoal. Yay.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 03:57:42 am by Teronsuke »
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15535 on: August 17, 2011, 04:00:57 am »

A brutal fight to the death over the bridge to my metalsmithing area resulted in the slaying of the dread forgotten beast, killer of over 60 dwarves, by a baby alpaca. As soon as I get an able dwarf, that alpaca's gonna be immortalized forever as an excellent meal to be consumed by the random hauling dwarves from my next migrant wave.
ARE YOU INSANE? You're going to feed the saviour of your race to some twit who happens to be a little peckish? You should keep the alpaca and give it to a military leader, damn you. (Besides, alpaca are good wool producers.)
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15536 on: August 17, 2011, 04:07:46 am »

And adorable. This one is adorabadass, it deserves some proper recognition for that.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15537 on: August 17, 2011, 04:52:47 am »

I'm posting here because I've pretty much broken many rules to the cave-challenge and therefore disqualify this fort.

Well, we've shifted from an entirely cave-based culture. Everyone with any appraisal skill had met Armok and I can't stand not seeing shiny numbers on the z-screen. So I had to build a trade depot and trade with the pointy ears. (Logic dictates that if I messed up or a siege came, no one would care no matter how they died, so they were the safest trading partners.) It's gone now. [Author's note: this caravan lived. A previous elven caravan showed up with gobbos and trolls and did reasonably well, from a dwarfish point-of-view. Armok blessed us with many fine things that day.]

Originally, we were doing well. Drawbridge at the entrance, a few sieges, a few migrant waves. A few FBs. Almost a routine.

Then a wave of migrants came, and we opened the door. We were adding improvements to the entrance in case this happened... I think it was 25 gobbos. Some got trapped, lots got killed. Liaison came at the same time. This helped. (Urist McCaptainMurphy's law; while you are installing it, whatever calamity you were trying to prevent will happen.)

It was a nice tantrum spiral. I did have many many dorfs that were too busy mining/smoothing/in the military to Urist McKenzie it up beforehand. That helped.

We got down to 3 drinks. Much praying to Armok got McBrewer to realize that if he brewed something he'd likely be the first to drink. That didn't hurt at all. [If you think I know what I did to make that happen; you good sir or madam are under the influence of some mind-altering substance. Get ye to hospital at once. I think my best diagnostician is at 13 - you'll probably be fine.]

I'm only in cavern 1, and for a few years nothing has been showing up of late. Likely we have killed all the closest FBs and the rest are wandering here.

We are still kind of removing ortho and schist columns because we wanted a nice 4z tall area to hang out in. It'd go faster if certain temporary floors were not in perpetual non-construction. Whatever.

Since things are a bit slow, I have made a pit room. [My First.] It looks like the one in the wiki, (6 hatches, 9x6 room.) It has a 2 level drop, with a nice little way to flood the bottom and a way to drain that out. (If I did it right, the lowest level/drain-room is 8-1/2 times the size of the flood room and should evaporate much faster than I would ever need it to. Today.)

Ah yes. I remember there were 6 caged yaks from that room that I thought to pasture. That was a good time. Fortunately, I had just made the squad count to 2 archer and 3 melee squads. The newest recruits enjoyed the sport. I promise.

There are three open spaces left for filled cages in that room, and I need to add one more floodgate and dig out the river-channel to make this a go.

Wish me fun my friends. Luck is for rabbits that didn't make it.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #15538 on: August 17, 2011, 04:54:57 am »

No, but it does sound like it's time to turn that sphalerite into masterwork zinc crafts for trade.

I've not got any lignite or coal thus far, so all smelting would need to be done through the fun waste of trees into charcoal. Yay.
Well, you could always just make sphalerite stone crafts if all other options are exhausted...

In my fort, the siegers finally left. The seasonal save arrived just a minute before so I decided to exit, turn invasions off for a couple years. Imagine some diplomacy had occurred, were that possible in the current version. I'll get a while to receive migrants and train them into able-bodied soldiers. No more losing a dozen dwarves a year with no restocking. I'll also be trading with the various caravans. It's a shame though that the Paklaras left before i realized I'd forgotten to trade...
I make Spellcrafts!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15539 on: August 17, 2011, 05:24:07 am »

I just executed the Goblins Osnun Snarlcruel and Gozru Trapdoom (kekeke) both of whom were thieves who found themselves nabbed by my cage traps, then placed into fortifications and subsequently used for target-practice.  :D
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.
Pages: 1 ... 1034 1035 [1036] 1037 1038 ... 3842