Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1033 1034 [1035] 1036 1037 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6130257 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15510 on: August 16, 2011, 08:10:06 pm »

So, a forgotten beast showed up. Giant leech with a shell. Nothing my militia couldn't handle, right?

Wrong.

Ok so it slaughtered my 6 or so armed dwarves, but they trickled in 1 at a time being the idiots they are. A zerg rush will kill it; let's bring everyone into the militia and beat it to death.

Wrong.

Ok, so all I have left is 1 crippled dwarf in the hospital and a dwarf child. Surely the caravan guards that just showed up will kill it.

Wrong.

Well, I'm doomed. All that's left that can even touch it are my animals, and he's tearing right through them. I'll be dead any second now...

Wrong. Wait, what?

A brutal fight to the death over the bridge to my metalsmithing area resulted in the slaying of the dread forgotten beast, killer of over 60 dwarves, by a baby alpaca. As soon as I get an able dwarf, that alpaca's gonna be immortalized forever as an excellent meal to be consumed by the random hauling dwarves from my next migrant wave.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15511 on: August 16, 2011, 08:16:51 pm »

Planning on an antibowman defense (Basically just a courtyard with lots of pillars placed to prevent easy firing but leaving movement still easy. Something along the lines of

where X is an empty floor space and W is a wall. Because creatures can move diagonally but bolts and arrows break upon striking walls, it will make for a good protective structure for my entirely meleebased army. Of course, I should probably clear the roof of potential access by gobbos or others too, which would defeat the point of the defensive structure. I'm considering two or even three entrances- the main entrance with the defensive structure, a heavily trapped entrance for caravans, and a third false entrance that will be left open during a siege featuring cage traps, serrated discs and similar. Just for invaders to run a gauntlet so I can funnel them through. :D

nauticus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15512 on: August 16, 2011, 10:14:55 pm »

Accidently assigned a crippled vet as the captain of the guard,and he smashed my legendary mason's head with his crutch.(the mayor mandates the production of nickel silver but there was none, and I forgot to build the prison)
http://imgur.com/EBbbi

a forgotted beast cut in half by one of my dwarf, now she got three forgotten beast kils
The Forgotten Beast Ugosh Lurnasod Neb媙 has come!  A huge sauropod with external ribs.  It has thin wings of stretched skin and it is ravening.  Its cinnamon scales are small and close-set.  Beware its webs!
The Hammerdwarf kicks The Forgotten Beast in the lower body with his left foot, bruising the muscle!
The Swordsdwarf hacks The Forgotten Beast in the lower body with her {adamantine battle axe} and the severed part sails off in an arc!

BTW a badass troglodyte kill:http://imgur.com/7EjJ8

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15513 on: August 16, 2011, 10:29:54 pm »

Decided to give Genesis a try.  So far my fort is in it's second year.

First year was relatively uneventful.  Found iron, tetrahedrite, no coal, and a bunch of gems.  Walled off the area around the fort entrance, got a few migrants, including a "Great" Armorsmith (who proceeded to make a bunch of copper shields, including a couple masterpieces), and a novice weaponsmith that I had crank out copper spears for training.

Second year, I almost lost my starting mason (and best skilled) to a mood because he wanted silk cloth.  I scrambled to the first cavern, and got enough silk to satisfy him (he made a fricken hatch cover).  Then the mephit's started swarming, so I sealed off the caverns with a drawbridge.

Later, a human caraven showed up, along with a goblin ambush.  Remember when I said the entrance was walled in?  Well, turns out there was a ledge one z-lvl above the entrance the goblins could use to take potshots at my trade depot.  Managed to kill them with only 2 casualties (1 militia, 1 civie)

Also, I struck gold after that.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15514 on: August 16, 2011, 10:33:52 pm »

Currently designing that Dwarven SuperChild producer..Using Dwarf Therapist to cheat a bit, though. I left out some steps in the plan. Once that's perfected, though, it'll be simple for the children to get assaulted by a horde of chickens.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15515 on: August 16, 2011, 10:57:12 pm »

I'm currently taking lessons learned in my previous fort into my next fort.

Its name? ordeler, Drunkensteels

I have a good feeling about this fort.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15516 on: August 16, 2011, 11:03:25 pm »

I just got a captain of the guard. She promptly doled out justice with a copper pick, killing the criminal (who was charged with disorderly). Now her officer is charged with beating her for murder.

WTF DF.

This is awesome.

EDIT:

He found her in bed, and started the beating. She didn't wake up, what with the steel armor I just outfitted her with.

ANOTHER EDIT:

Okay, she's just being bad. I demoted her to Civilian, and she went and killed my Armorer. 201 days in the clink for her! (MINERS! BUILD A JAIL!)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:01:38 am by nightwhips »
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15517 on: August 16, 2011, 11:24:39 pm »

More aquifers.

Incidentally, as I was digging my third cell of living spaces I accidentally breached the aquifer again. Again, I suffered no significant loss save for a few hallways, but goddamn I really should install some emergency seals around my fort if i'm going to keep doing this.

In other news, my military outfitted with whatever weapons I can scrap up from the traders is working very well. One of my swordsdwarfs even managed to 1v1 a giant toad and take no injury. I also had my first goblin ambush for this fort. About 4 bowman and a pikeman. They were outright slaughtered by my dwarves... embarassingly, the only dwarf kill the goblins got was when they were being slaughtered from their cages. I took a few out to execute them, thinking I'd removed all their armor/weapons, when in fact they remained armed. One of the goblins got a seriously lucky shot and took a recruit's throat out. He managed to dodge a few more arrows before finally bleeding out. His tomb overlooks the arena now... He gets to watch the kind of prisoners who killed him suffer for all eternity. Or at least for as long as this fort lasts.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15518 on: August 16, 2011, 11:45:38 pm »

Good news! I have found a layer of limestone immediately below the soil layer, and it contains limonite! Drunkensteels shall live up to its name!

Bad news- in doing so I accidentally maimed my miner in a cave-in. Exceptionally poor decision making on my part- I should really go to bed.

Good news! The miner is still able to walk and grab things- although my complete lack of health care, sanitation, and hospitalization may prove his undoing, as long as he can soldier through the extreme pain I'll have the stone needed to being construction on Drunkensteels.

Bad news- Beak Dogs. Should be a FUN summer!

EDIT: Worse news! The Beak dogs wandered too close to my camp, and when my militia commander sallied forth to defend the settlement, he sallied straight into a murky pool. He was already a dead dwarf, but a Beak Dog jumped in after him and tore out his throat just to confirm the kill. I order everyone to hide in the root cellar, but before my miner can make it he has his throat torn out by a different Beak Dog. Now I have a mini tantrum spiral brewing, no miner, and only one dedicated military professional. Oh, and there's still a pair of Beak Dogs chilling at the edge of the map. Might not live to see the autumnal caravan.

EDIT2: Expedition leader just bit the dust- apparently he took a wound from a Beak Dog but escaped (probably when the miner decided to try and solve the menace with his pick,) but has now bled to death. My doctor is now expedition leader.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:01:45 am by monk12 »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15519 on: August 17, 2011, 12:16:10 am »

A butcher got possessed and made a figurine of Purring Maggots. Which she hates. Encrusted with claystone with images of elephants. Which she loves. I guess she made such a perfect figurine she was scared by it and hastily tacked on something nice to calm her down.
http://i.imgur.com/67OvN.jpg

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15520 on: August 17, 2011, 12:39:22 am »

That idiot captain of the guard BROKE my trade depot just after the caravan arrived.

We killed her, but now my dwarves are moving all the caravan's goods to my stockpiles because they unloaded everything and the depot disappeared. Which makes EVERYBODY too busy to build the new trade depot.

This is getting !FUN!.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15521 on: August 17, 2011, 01:15:36 am »

The first cavern layer, which I walled off except a room/stairwell a long time ago, is now haunted by two Forgotten Beasts. One of them is completely harmless (a giant quadruped made of snow with NO special attacks whatsoever, my untrained military could take it out no problem) but the other could wipe out my whole 230 dwarf fort; it's a six-legged quadruped (???) made of ice with a deadly dust attack. In simulations (read: savescumming), the dust attack caused near-instant paralysis leading to certain death.

Am currently implementing a plan to build a 50-z-level high pump stack to pull magma up from the magma sea and then spray it indiscriminately throughout the first cavern layer until they're dead.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #15522 on: August 17, 2011, 01:16:15 am »

Ok. I get it. We all do. It is the only historical event to ever occur in our region. The entire fortress has a masters degree in regional history. All hail the Bronze Colossus, Aquilebe Violentprinces the slaughter of flying, slayer of the birdwoman, the paklara, Ozedenam Tubmushroom. Now SHUT THE HELL UP ABOUT IT BEFORE I DUNK YOU IN THE VOLCANO.
I swear I have the five worst legendary engravers EVER. All I see on my walls are masterfully engraved C's. It's not even CcCcC, because the paklara has the same character!
"The Discovery of Hammers." Yeah, the colossus' fist is totally where they got the idea for warhammers from. "The Sensual Tail?" Ok, whoever drew the birdwoman from THAT perspective is getting magma'd. Report to the trade depot immediately, and bring a sock for the elves... "The Cremated Letter." Now THAT'S more like it. I'm going to edit the C in my tileset to appear to be on fire! !!C!! !!C!! !!C!! !!C!! !!C!!
I'll deface the entire fortress of masterwork engravings when I self-destruct this place into the volcano! I'll ENSURE that it happens! I'll lock my 8-9 engravers in a single room far below ground where I may watch them go utterly insane form their loss!
Oh woe are you fools who dare to engrave another C on my walls! The hundreds of goblins, trolls, ninataurs, ogres, and their assorted mounts we've slaughtered and the brave dwarves who died to make it happen not important in the grand scheme of things? Only the C you worship so? I condemn thee to a miserable end!

OK AGAK FAMTHUUUUUUUUUUUT!

Ok, so i'm exaggerating it by quite a bit, but for crying out loud, 1/5 of the walls dedicated to one event? "The Sensual Tail?" Something is wrong with this place, and it's related to the engravers.
I'm still going to lock them in a small room and defile all their artwork if I ever pull the self destruct levers...

As for the rest of the fortress, everything is fine at the moment. Lost a dwarf I believe in the last round of invaders, and there's no doubt another 3-4 separate sieges/a round of ambushes in the next season. And very little hope of migrants or trade with other civs. I can only hope that the sieges end at some point, or else that I can procure enough adamantine to to make my legendary dwarves worth something in the face of the hordes of mithril-clad badasses 10-20 times their size.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:30:44 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15523 on: August 17, 2011, 02:14:50 am »

"The Sensual Tail?" Ok, whoever drew the birdwoman from THAT perspective is getting magma'd.
Now now, you're just being prejudicial. Sometimes a dwarf and a birdwoman fall in love, ok? It's a beautiful thing.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #15524 on: August 17, 2011, 02:39:08 am »

And nobody would care. The thing is, she's been dead for 90 years, and that's engraved in the mausoleum of our champions! He could do whatever he likes, so long as he does so in private rather than public, and nobody, living or dead, is harmed or in this case insulted by his actions.
A lot of his engravings of the incident have suggestive names actually. It's like he's trying to suggest that she died in a dishonorable fashion.

More on topic, I am in dire need of more mithril. Melting down all the foreign equipment isn't providing quite enough...
Oh look, the Paklara caravan showed up. Better not tell them we have last year's caravan buried in the mausoleum as well...

And so begins this season's sieges/ambushes. The cyclopes sent their law giver this year. I'll have her and her platoon dealt with immediately. Goblins sent their general as well. He'll be one of the first to charge right into the dodge-pit trap.

Update: Already taking casualties. Mostly in the ranger squad. I swear I will never get a decent marksdwarf squad at this rate... The only good shot just suffocated after having their rib cage crushed like a pancake by an ogre. Through  masterwork steel plate and mail...
Another favored elite soldier was eaten by a voracious cave crawler mount.

Update 2: 9 dead dwarves so far. 3-5 injuries. i swear to Armok i can never get them trained, and as long as the enemy has mithril, no matter how rare, they have an enormous advantage, only multiplied by their sheer size and weight, and special equipment I gave them. 4 of 8 rangers dead, all of them the experienced ones. one melee squad wiped out, 2 other fatalities. 2-3 were legendaries, and about 4 were actually caught by the goblin horde as they tried to rush through the gates. one fell off the dodge-pit bridge and hasn't hit the ground yet, but I count them dead anyway. It's very rare for anything to survive that, and no dwarf ever has...
Both generals retreated and escaped with their lives. The cyclopes' troll law giver even with my troops hot on her tail. And removing her giant rat mount's tail, humorously. I'm not sure whether they actually do, but I definitely hope she returns. I want her dead.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 03:24:25 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1033 1034 [1035] 1036 1037 ... 3842