Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1030 1031 [1032] 1033 1034 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6130046 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15465 on: August 15, 2011, 04:42:19 pm »

The first goblin has escaped the gauntlet (a few weapon traps between her and freedom). She's missing both of her legs, and both of her hands are mutilated. Go home goblin, and tell your friends about Hamlet Atham Dastot

EDIT: cancel that, she crawled straight past my entranceway (not exactly the closest path to the edge of a map). I happened to have two legendary sworddwarves training there.

P.S. - apparently thick forests are awesome for protecting outpost liaisons. One was spotted by some goblin ambushers, and he dodged behind some trees. The goblins sat around clueless until reinforcements came.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:46:31 pm by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15466 on: August 15, 2011, 05:50:58 pm »

Inspired by another poster I've decided to attempt the 'zero point embark' challenge (aka peasantry challenge on the wiki)

The rules are as follows:

-Zero embark points spent (of course)
-No robbing the caravan
-No danger rooms
-No using wooden axes*
-No using cage traps except for hunting
-No using magma for smelting
-No using atom smashers or quantum stockpiles
-No walling myself off (from the outside or from the caverns)

In addition I'm using the CivForge mod and the Fortress Defense II mod (which radically increase the amount of enemy attacks), I've also pumped up the number of megabeasts and removed all qualifiers for them to attack (in other words, theoretically, they can come at any moment).

To counter all the hell I've dealt myself I decided to give myself a bit of a double edged sword for an embark site.  Its a desert, and a hot one, but it does have a river in it.  It has very, very few trees and allegedly metal and flux underground.

We'll see how it goes.. Strike the earth!

TomTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15467 on: August 15, 2011, 06:16:08 pm »

well, i have been sort of cruel to my dwarves (no beds, no dining hall, etc) so a giant tantrum spiral ensued, killing 90% of my citizens. now i must rebuild, with only 3 dwarves. (it was only my second year)

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15468 on: August 15, 2011, 07:38:38 pm »

Elves are good for something after all. I have a male/female pair of tamed Honey Badgers... but they aren't breeding. Hopefully that'll change.

I've also got a breeding pair of Lions. With luck I'll eventually have a bunch to mess around with. [edit] Also, they are War Lions and one of them helped kill a Reacher that got the drop on my hunter. Go lions!

Right now I'm throwing some cage traps around in the hopes that I might snag a Draltha or two. Currently wondering what the best approach to ensuring a sufficiently large pasture would be.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 07:45:30 pm by Loyal »

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15469 on: August 15, 2011, 07:50:22 pm »

I finally finished clearing away all the rock from when I excavated my multi z-level entrance so I can now see my welcome mat in all its glory.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll know DF is 'finished' when goblins come to seige a fortress, see the thousand goblin corpses rotting on the ground and say "Fuck it, you win", and just leave.

(The big open spaces, including where the dwarves are are outside. This was all done with massive controled cave-ins.)

Kronos

• Bay Watcher
  • Diorite Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #15470 on: August 15, 2011, 08:15:10 pm »

I had pierced the first cavern layer and constructed a 3x3 stairway in a straight line down. I was walling it up and was maybe 3/4ths done (the cavern was some 15z tall and the stairs had 3 cavern access points) when 4 troglodytes showed up and made for my stairwell. Right when the first one almost reached to bottom (was a tile away from the stairs) my chief doctor suddenly blinked by before slamming into the ground with force enough to splatter and the nearest trog was credited with the kill.
I immediately paused it and rechecked the trogs' positions. None of them were close enough to the stairwell to hit anything on it yet. The doctor was by all accounts a normal dwarf and was perfectly happy. Near as I can tell, he was climbing down into the caverns to help with the construction, saw the trogs coming and and preemptively commited suicide by dodging off the highest point of the stairwell. Even more ridiculous, moments later they came into contact with a couple other construction workers, got horribly wounded (no significant damage to the dwarves) before being finished off by my military. So.

...I debated putting this into the 'note to Urist' thread, but couldn't figure out how to word it.

Also, it kinda seems to me as if Doctors attract the same kind of damage the Dungeon Masters of old did - namely, as much as it takes for them to die when they have utterly no reason to.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:29:01 pm by Kronos »

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #15471 on: August 15, 2011, 08:59:55 pm »

Just fended off my first big siege (with elk bird mounts!). Despite being in the process of reorganizing the new catapault battery, I had no injuries to the surviving dwarves, although only a single death: a master lasher caused a speardwarf recruit to pass out on a serrated disc trap. He was minced for several minutes before his steel armor was pierced. My 3-dwarf hammerlord squad imploded the heads of nearly fifty goblins, and the axe/spear squad got another forty or so. The speardwarves' adamantine spears had been covered completely in forgotten beast blood in earlier combat, of course, so goblins were rotting left and right when they joined the brawl. The hammer lord/militia captain's companion axe lord did well too, I just found a goblin head ~150 Urists away, all the way down the main staircase on the magma level as a result of her performance.

For some reason, an axegoblin got her right arm chopped off, then managed to run past the entirety of the two squads, down the main stairs, and into the cavern, where she was mauled by a giant cave swallow and stumbled onto a cage trap. I got the swallow too. Perhaps I should let the two finish what they started. The axegoblin is my only prisoner, so I might just use her to test my single-wooden-spike room... heh heh.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:01:32 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15472 on: August 15, 2011, 09:40:16 pm »

I'm experimenting with using glass and clay, most of my embarks have them but I've never put any stock in them. I think I'll do a little modding to make clay a more workable substitute for stone, my FPS has been falling badly and I'm thinking avoiding mining stones wherever possible might help.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15473 on: August 16, 2011, 01:15:28 am »

Just discovered a 78z 3rd cavern. That is so tall that I had to chuck a tame rooster into the darkness to explore it. 60z of the cavern are just Gabbro, Olivine, and Native Gold. The second cavern was just Gneiss, with no other rocks or gems at all.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15474 on: August 16, 2011, 01:41:48 am »

Divine Tower is ending its 4th year.

Currently "besieged" by a Minotaur sitting in the midst of a grinder trap - she is tapping on a hatch.  With a name like Litheme Roarrobust the Grizzly Harvester of Owls I expected something more aggressive.  While she has been sitting in that side tunnel four squares from the main access tunnel a dwarven caravan walked past, traded in the Depot, and walked back out.  I'd send my experienced military in, but I'm hoping to coax her into a cage trap for being put into a labyrinth.

Had a shearer get possessed and make an adamantine chain worth 700K db.  Depicted another artifact, an elf eating a goblin 1000 years back in history, a bronze colossus killing a different elf 1000 years back, and a local dwarf stabbing a goblin with a spear.  And some gnats.  Would be a beautiful item for a noble - chain the miscreants there in the throne room or dining room to be tossed scraps.
Unfortunately I lost that build in a game crash  :'(

And my militia training program is hitting phase two.  A few units getting steel (or cotton candy) armor and weapons while the reserve units get leather and secondary weapons and training schedules to work on sparring and such.  The rest stay on the PT course with training weapons and limited equipment.  The marksdwarf squads now have a range to practice at well.  Some goblin arena training is expected to begin shortly as well. 

Major construction in the core fortress is essentially complete.  Most of the work is exploration of the caverns and expansion of the outer works in preparation for some larger projects.  Lots of minor work being done in adding watchtowers, paving road sections, and adding some amenities. 

Being pestered by game crashes - right around the beginning of Year 5.  No idea why.  So saving more often.

Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Molgim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15475 on: August 16, 2011, 05:19:17 am »

City Oltarenor - Gildblueness - 18th Sandstone 259, Mid-Autumn

Our Fifth Forgotten Beast has just been given the beat down. Had some rubbish ones made of solid salt, made of solid snow etc.

Ramsten Ivakistro Ibon Nemen, the gigantic magic statue made of bronze and bent on mayhem. Took some time to take him out, but took no casualties. After pages of glancing blows and slight dents, my spear dwarf started cutting him into small parts. Finished off by the dwarf with the shortsword, who then went on to name his sword Logemzenon Esaronul, Paintviper the Quiescent Mirror.

Dwarves have been making some weird atrifacts, like the one-humped camel leather loin cloth called Wheelpeacful the Hail of Slapping...

Some notable and impressive artifacts have been The Carnage of Light - a gabbro crown, and Sarvesh Savot, The Furnace of Standing - golden greaves (worn by the Captain of the guards).

Currently digging down towards the center of the earth. Just hit level 55 and found a whole layer of Marble, thank Armok! Dwarves are now strip mining the marble and hauling it back up to a giant store area. Going to start making platinum furniture.

Still no siege yet, wondering where the hell the goblins are. Sitting on a lot of wealth and 127 dwarves. If they dont start seiging soon Im going to hack the next Elf caravan to pieces to start a war.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15476 on: August 16, 2011, 05:30:42 am »

Killin' some troggoes and my legendary weaponsmith has a mood. Wants bars of metal and gems. He likes steel (don't have but can do, is being made at the moment) and rubies (don't have, I hope he'll accept other gems.) He also likes maces so perhaps this will be a very nice baton of office for my captain of the guard. :P

Hmm, the smith also likes low boots. That'd be fancy. A legendary armour AND weapon smith in one Dwarf combined. And high boots are foreign to me anyway.

Edit; all he wanted was a steel bar and a turquoise.

Final edit; Storluratist Mamot. A steel mace encircled with bands of turquoise and adorned with hanging rings of steel. I imagine that could actually be a very beautiful clobberer. Price is nice too; 99600. :3

PROBABLY not a good idea to give this one to my Guard captain.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:05:46 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15477 on: August 16, 2011, 06:24:40 am »

A masterful steel anvil was just made. I didn't even know that was possible. o:
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15478 on: August 16, 2011, 06:26:58 am »

A masterful steel anvil was just made. I didn't even know that was possible. o:
Why are you using the precious steel for anvils?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15479 on: August 16, 2011, 06:50:04 am »

Because I didn't have iron and wanted more anvils. I'll soon have a magma forge for my legendary blacksmith, one for my weaponsmith/metalcrafter and one for my armorer.
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Pages: 1 ... 1030 1031 [1032] 1033 1034 ... 3842