Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1029 1030 [1031] 1032 1033 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129918 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15450 on: August 15, 2011, 07:51:19 am »

set barrels to be produced on repeat
y u no make rock pots
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15451 on: August 15, 2011, 08:33:27 am »

Everything is craaawling. Too many badgers, too many dogs. Far too many badger cubs and puppies. aaaaaargh. Slooow as hell, not conducive to an enjoyable gaming experience, especially not because Laptop is about to overheat.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15452 on: August 15, 2011, 08:48:08 am »

I finally managed to get an artifact Goblin Bone Throne built in a 31.25 fort. I had a separate stockpile just for bones, and when my bonecrafter had a mood, I forbade everything that wasn't a goblin bone.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15453 on: August 15, 2011, 09:26:50 am »

My forgetfulness will bring the fort down one day... First I forgot a moody clothier and his needs for silk cloth. He went berserk in the middle of the temporary meeting area. And he chose the time when a whole squad of hammerlords took a break there. You know the rest.
Next thing I forgot: Traders that want to get out of the sealed front gate. I was giving orders for the above ground castle (so far it's only a circular wall, 81 tiles in diameter) and only thought of the traders when one of them went berserk and hit some poor craftsdwarf into the third toe, left foot. Again, the hammerlords were quickly called to solve the situation and luckily didn't cause a loyalty cascade or other Fun. Oh, and there's a crazy camel wandering around in my tree farm now...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:29:29 am by moki »
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15454 on: August 15, 2011, 10:56:21 am »

set barrels to be produced on repeat
y u no make rock pots
Oh? You can do this now?

Joy!

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15455 on: August 15, 2011, 01:25:07 pm »

Two different merchants have been slaughtered by merchants. That would be fine, except... all the stupid merchant stuff is not auto-forbidden. Lost 3 dwarves before all the goblins were slaughtered.  About half of my dwarves are very unhappy now.

Oh well, if we end up having a tantrum spiral the world's not going to end. I have 4 dwarves who are immune to hte effects of death, and they happen to be the best trained and fully equipped with full steel and masterful blue pig-tail armor. If every single other dwarf went berserk, while goblins decide to siege with trolls, I think they'd slaughter everyone and wait for migrants to replace them.

As a side-note, our medic is getting some diagnostic practice with the tantrums. Another side note, steel swords, silver daggers, and steel shields are still getting names. They seem to like stealing other dwarves artifact weapons too, so I've had to manually specify swords to make sure they all have one.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Saeldanya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15456 on: August 15, 2011, 02:15:15 pm »

I finally (at the end of the third year) was able to upgrade from leather armor to crucible steel. Things are starting to look much brighter. While I keep mining and forging, sieging armies are locked within the courtyard of my fort - 2-3 units that enter the tunnels are regularly drowned by my huge toilet flush trap, while the others still outside get showered with crossbow bolts. Once they are suitably panicked (and my marksdwarves out of bolts) I open the gates to graciously allow any of the siegers that weren't drowned to flee. The toilet flush was the only thing that kept me alive during those years of having only leather armor and some crappy metal weapons looted off of attackers.

Lately I get owned by regular crashes, however. They are starting to be so annoying that I consider starting a new game, might try a new mod.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15457 on: August 15, 2011, 02:24:29 pm »

Daggerdepths is still chugging along at over 25 years old. Just got my 32nd artifact, an adamantine cage with an image of a dwarf killing an elf. Awesome.

62% of my dwarves have made an artifact now.

Saeldanya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15458 on: August 15, 2011, 02:35:25 pm »

Daggerdepths is still chugging along at over 25 years old. Just got my 32nd artifact, an adamantine cage with an image of a dwarf killing an elf. Awesome.

Hah. Put an elf in that cage!  :P

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15459 on: August 15, 2011, 03:19:43 pm »

I was just working on my block walls, when a child stepped onto a bridge being deconstructed. There was nothing there besides a bridge... and he said "yeah, this is a good idea". He's now in the hospital for a broken leg.

More disturbing to me is the statues being made for the entranceway. Apparently our head mason is well aquanted with recent dwarvish events - with a particular interest in dwarves abandoning the previous settlement. So many masterful statues... of "the flight of dwarf X into The Faithful Forest in the early autumn of 268". Yes, I get it, you think it's funny that I abandoned a fort. Leave it alone already.

Also, apparently my dwarves slaughter of hundreds of goblins isn't worth a mention, as some 40 statues have been made and none have mentioned it yet. What could lead to such a cold-hearted view of me and our forts?

Amazing memory, great creativity, natural inclination toward language, ability to focus and good intellect (which explains masterful historical statues).
BUT: a very bad sense of empathy, frequently depressed, candid and sincere.

I got a depressed struggling artistic genius, who just happens to be an asshole.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15460 on: August 15, 2011, 03:22:20 pm »

Hah. Put an elf in that cage!  :P

You have no idea. These are the kills of the elf civs' queen:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

She killed alot of elves and humans too, but that's not enough. She'll pay.

I just had what was probably my quickest siege ever. My 4 squads were already stationed outside in a box formation to secure a perimeter while my civilians did some cleaning up. Goblin siege arrives in 4 areas, guess which? I just station my squads a little closer to where the siegers spawned and it was over in seconds.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15461 on: August 15, 2011, 03:45:01 pm »

The wall around my castle is finished... as mentioned before, it's a circle of 81 tiles diameter. Right in the middle of a 3x3 embark and around a lake where 2 rivers flow in and 1 flows out. I managed to put floodgates in the river with the Moses-method (lots of screw pumps and waterwheels) and got another idea: What about filling the whole thing with water? A perfectly round artificial lake, 1z above ground level and my dwarven city inside. If everything works out as planned, there will be some floodgates near the entrance that can be opened to give invaders a cold shower. I hope, the pressure is strong enough to make a true wave instead of a slow trickle of water.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15462 on: August 15, 2011, 04:06:39 pm »

I put all the crippled military dwarfs in a squad, so they can continue to buff up their stats in case they ever get attacked, although I will not deliberately send them into battle if I can help it.

As a result, I had a dwarf with no foot lead a kicking demonstration for a dwarf with a damaged lower spine.

Awesome.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15463 on: August 15, 2011, 04:14:29 pm »

Wooooow Bloodbeard.  That elf queen might actually give Tholtig Cryptbrain a run for her money.
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15464 on: August 15, 2011, 04:33:13 pm »

Just trained a few war giant eagles
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku
Pages: 1 ... 1029 1030 [1031] 1032 1033 ... 3842