Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1026 1027 [1028] 1029 1030 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129817 times)

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15405 on: August 12, 2011, 10:21:00 pm »

Okay, there goes about half the fortress guard. This instance of The Rot fortunately evaporates on contact with the ground, but the second stage of infection is total lung failure and massive hemorrhaging.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15406 on: August 12, 2011, 10:36:51 pm »

Year 4 in Tower Divine.

Construction continues on the above surface keep and the access tunnels and ditches.  With recent migrant arrivals the population has reached 120.  The militia program has instituted immediate basic training for all citizens to maintain some degree of physical fitness.  And the fortress was recently granted status as a barony.  (And it is nice to see the baron making bolts in a workshop after mandating that none can be exported.)

The first goblin siege appeared.  A single squad of axe goblins with a hammer goblin leader. The "grinder" trap in the access tunnel chopped most of them up.  And then a recently arrived Level 7 sword dwarf was equipped with cotton candy armor and sent in to finish the decorating job.  Headshot to one goblin, and then he literally whittled a second goblin down to a stump with a set of swings.

Just have to check what the goblinite haul is now since the fortress has no native copper or iron production.  Enough gold and kaolinite (porcelain) to buy out caravans though.  The goblin supplied copper and iron is upgraded to bronze or steel and then used for equipping the militia.

Only other issue is getting a water reactor to work.  The wiki design was built, but does not seem to want to start up and run consistently.  So it gets tweaked between running production orders.  This will be needed to get some pump stacks and a mist generator going.  A wind farm might be an alternative since it is Power 40 on this map.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15407 on: August 13, 2011, 12:49:08 am »

I guess the name of my fort, Petsyrups, turned out to be rather prophetic, as there are puppies everywhere. Great for making a legion of war dogs I guess.

If it's really prophetic, then those war dogs are going to have some pretty terrible things happen to them...
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #15408 on: August 13, 2011, 02:25:35 am »

Puppies? Bad? Clearly you haven't yet been overrun by swine while underpowered in dwarves. The worst part is that i need to keep my military up and on patrol practically at all times. 2-3 separate invasions per season, and each one claims a dwarven life or more. Oh how the mighty have fallen... I need some freaking migrants! The last wave was ambushed and we lost several, including the only professional soldier in the group.

And then, a legendary weaponsmith, our most honorable remaining smith, gets a fey mood. Hurrah, I suppose. Now the question: what material should I force him to use...?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

funymunky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15409 on: August 13, 2011, 03:03:51 am »

I just got my first two sieges of the fort in two seasons. After the first siege, I decided to get rid of all my traps to make them better. Yeah, all of them. My paltry military of 7 dwarves was completely slaughtered by dozens of goblins, trolls, elk birds, olms, and even the Goblin Master decided to show up. At least I took down an elven caravan with me :)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15410 on: August 13, 2011, 05:29:14 am »

Argh, what are you guys DOING to get all this attention? After five years, I have almost 200 dwarves and almost 10 million dwarfbucks, and have so far been sieged ONCE and had 2 seasons of ambushes. Do sieges compete with forgotten beast visits or something silly like that?
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15411 on: August 13, 2011, 06:37:26 am »

Seemed like a fatal tantrum spiral...maybe forty dead dwarves. Then a huge goblin siege. I had slain the war master, so only trolls supported them. My battered militia, maybe 15 out of the thirty left, all highly skilled fighters...there are worse ways to die.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15412 on: August 13, 2011, 09:06:51 am »

As I sent my Melee squad to deal with a troll in the caverns (more for practice than anything else) a GCS appeared and tore two Miner's heads apart. As I recalled the melee squad to at least try to help the miners they encountered a Gremlin (drive it away!). The Gremlin was in between a morningstar-armed macedorf and a speardorf. It fled towards the speardorf who stabbed the gremlin in the hand, opening an artery, then stabbed it's leg off (err, yeah) causing it to fall three levels. The smack killed it. Now for the Thebilneth, Silkybalanced, the spider.

FUCK. The spider, after quite some combat with the melee squad, was chopped in half by a Swordsdwarf with a masterful steel battle axe. Game crashed afterwards. Steel helmets seem to be the bane of GCS bite attacks because all of it's bites seem to have been aimed at heads.

2nd edit, day later; gonna continue anyway. My autosave is before the GCS appeared but that's the only important event missing.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:28:10 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15413 on: August 13, 2011, 11:13:53 am »

Crashed due to the dreaded NEMESIS UNIT LOAD ERROR when working on level 3 of the tower. So I pulled up the yearly backup from before the double baron thing and I'll just hope that fixes it.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15414 on: August 13, 2011, 12:05:06 pm »

So I've gone through three different forts now, all reasonable successes, food production is good, defenses all good, withstood titans, forgotten beasts, fires, drought, famine, goblins, trolls, etc.

Now I get it in my head to build a tower.  Or even a monolith.  Or anything above Z0/Embark level that dwarves will actually walk on.

Build wall. build ramps. Nope.   Ok, build wall, build stairs.  Nope.  Ok, build wall, build bridge.  Nope.

So I go to the wiki, and I search the forums, and I read and I read.  Everyone is talking about building structures with an interior, like pyramids and so on, but really, I'm not that ambitious.  All I want is a wall that dwarves will walk on and/or build on.

My failures so far:

At Z0:

WW
 WW

Ok, 2 x 2 square wall, nothing exciting, right, let's build some up stairs around that first 2x2 wall, as scaffolding. 

<<
<WW<
<WW<
 <<

and... that's as far as it goes.  Any attempt to build either on top of the walls or on top of the stairs up is met with two possible results.  The first is that the dwarves won't go near it and the second is "No access to building material non-economic item" which I believe basically means "no path to build".  This occurs when attempting to build a floor or wall on top of the existing wall, which are my only options from the b-C menu. 
The results are similar with ramps compared with stairs.  The second level (Z+1) you can paint/designate the down ramps or stairs down on top of the up ramps/stairs up, but the dwarves never build them.

Obviously I'm missing something extremely basic here, but I have no idea what it is.  The tower (and indeed, all above ground construction) is now at a halt while I consult with Urist McEngineer to try and figure out this problem.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:07:41 pm by vjek »

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15415 on: August 13, 2011, 12:53:47 pm »

So I've gone through three different forts now, all reasonable successes, food production is good, defenses all good, withstood titans, forgotten beasts, fires, drought, famine, goblins, trolls, etc.

Now I get it in my head to build a tower.  Or even a monolith.  Or anything above Z0/Embark level that dwarves will actually walk on.

Build wall. build ramps. Nope.   Ok, build wall, build stairs.  Nope.  Ok, build wall, build bridge.  Nope.

So I go to the wiki, and I search the forums, and I read and I read.  Everyone is talking about building structures with an interior, like pyramids and so on, but really, I'm not that ambitious.  All I want is a wall that dwarves will walk on and/or build on.

My failures so far:

At Z0:

WW
 WW

Ok, 2 x 2 square wall, nothing exciting, right, let's build some up stairs around that first 2x2 wall, as scaffolding. 

<<
<WW<
<WW<
 <<

and... that's as far as it goes.  Any attempt to build either on top of the walls or on top of the stairs up is met with two possible results.  The first is that the dwarves won't go near it and the second is "No access to building material non-economic item" which I believe basically means "no path to build".  This occurs when attempting to build a floor or wall on top of the existing wall, which are my only options from the b-C menu. 
The results are similar with ramps compared with stairs.  The second level (Z+1) you can paint/designate the down ramps or stairs down on top of the up ramps/stairs up, but the dwarves never build them.

Obviously I'm missing something extremely basic here, but I have no idea what it is.  The tower (and indeed, all above ground construction) is now at a halt while I consult with Urist McEngineer to try and figure out this problem.

Simplest way would be
z=-1
.X.

z=0
###
#X#
###

z=1
.X.

X=constructed up/down stair
.=floor
#=wall

that should give you a 3x3 raised area for your dwarves to walk on.

Building up isnt really that complicated you just need staircases and a walkable perimeter

The reason your dwarves give "no access to economic item" message is because you need to complete the downstairs first then build the up stairs
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:55:23 pm by Excedion »
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15416 on: August 13, 2011, 01:30:14 pm »

You have to build down stairs on top of up stairs; even better would be to build up/down stairs on top of up stairs. Staircases work through vertical connections; a single one does not allow movement (although a down stair allows vision in the square below/etc.).

If, on the other hand, you build a ramp, it will work. That generally seems to be the usual route that DF players use - you could build as follows:

Code: [Select]

RW
FWW
 WW

F
 WWR

WW
 WWF
 WR

RWW
 F 
And repeat, with W = wall, R = up ramp, and F is a floor caused by a lower wall.
=Uncool-
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 01:32:06 pm by uncool »

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15417 on: August 13, 2011, 03:47:41 pm »

I've genned a world and after checking the legends I'm pretty sure the only dwarven civ is dead. They were destroyed by...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I shall rassemble some survivors, strike the earth and plot !!REVENGE!!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15418 on: August 13, 2011, 04:26:50 pm »

You have to build down stairs on top of up stairs; even better would be to build up/down stairs on top of up stairs. Staircases work through vertical connections; a single one does not allow movement (although a down stair allows vision in the square below/etc.).

If, on the other hand, you build a ramp, it will work. That generally seems to be the usual route that DF players use - you could build as follows: ...

I've done exactly that, with both ramps and stairs, and while the game allows me to paint the down ramps on top of the up ramps and the down stairs on top of the up stairs, the dwarves never build them.  The objects just sit there as though there is no path to them.

I'm thinking a 2x2 is too small for what I'm trying to do, as has been mentioned, a walkable perimeter is required.  Perhaps 3x3 is the smallest "tower" you can build in DF?  I will test!

EDIT:
I've built this on Z0:

then surrounded it with b-C ramps thusly:

RRRRR
RWWWR
RWWWR
RWWWR
RRRRR

and then on Z+1, painted a 3x3 floor.  It's never built.
Painted another 3x3 wall.  It's also never built.  It's valid, but the dwarves won't touch it.

And in a frustrating display of illogic, the military are happy to station on Z+1 as though it's a perfectly great floor (which it is).

I also tried two 3x3 areas, and linking them with a bridge.  Shows the bridge as valid, but it never gets built.

ah.  I think I have solved my own mystery.

The problem was that, as this was "new" area, it was not defined in my Burrow.  I redefined the burrow, and everything is working as expected.  Bleh!  (and phew!)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 05:05:03 pm by vjek »

mcdonaldjord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15419 on: August 13, 2011, 04:46:27 pm »

Water frozen , Out of booze. So i figured "Meh everyones going to die anyways, Why not drop them 10 z levels?" After i killed them all, The water thawed.
Pages: 1 ... 1026 1027 [1028] 1029 1030 ... 3842