Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1025 1026 [1027] 1028 1029 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129813 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15390 on: August 12, 2011, 10:43:28 am »

About to embark for my space challenge... With one thing in mind: Can glass walls be seen through?

sobriquet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15391 on: August 12, 2011, 10:55:43 am »

So it began-- my seven had perhaps one and a half dwarves who could be considered decent warriors among them.  We departed all, with four war dogs and some sundries.   When we arrived in the woods all was quiet.  Some elephants grazed in the distance.  I was apprehensive at first about the beasts, having heard tales of their destructiveness.  Fortunately they did not approach us. 

Over the course of the first season we went out berry-picking and chopped trees down with a fire-hardened wooden and stone training axe, and cut a tunnel into the side of a clay hill.  Nice wet grey clay.  Leashing three dogs outside for security, our two miners used their copper picks to carve out rooms and storage areas.  In the midst of all this, just as we are digging downwards (and begin finding chert and some minor gems), an Ogre appears.

At first I was like "OH No."  But then I took a look and although the beast (who was charging at the team's doctor and self-declared leader, out picking berries) was huge, it was nude and carrying nothing.  Only its calloused skin would protect it.  As I sounded the alarm and drafted everyone into the military, the Ogre reached my doctor.  He was fat, broad of bodied.  Too slow.  He dropped his strawberries and ran but it caught up, missing its first strike.  While I issued orders for the armament of the remaining six, the Ogre recovered its balance, knocked the poor guy over by running and pushing, and then grabbed him.  Then the bone-breaking began.  He dislocated the dwarf's hip straight away, broke both his wrists like twigs, tore off one of his arms with a swipe of his hand, and punched his skull in.  Of course the dwarf died instantly when that happened.  Inside my clay storage room, the other six hurredly armed themselves as best they could (one young dwarf woman got the training axe).  We had three copper spears, two picks, and a full suit of copper plate armor.  We armored our militia commander and gave him a spear (he liked spears), and all six ran in a cluster, charging the Ogre (who was wandering around aimlessly, covered in dwarf blood).

The first Dwarf to reach the Ogre got knocked down and grabbed.  Muthkat.  She was skinny, that was the thing.  Anyhow, she spent most of the first few seconds of combat screaming on her back as the Ogre, grinning, broke her hand in two places and dislocated her wrist.  I guess it didn't see the others; once it did it tried to run but then they were upon it.  It got poked a few times and one speardwarf actually got a good stab into the leg.  The Ogre knocked a dwarf over (the armored one-- he was uninjured) and ran, breaking from us twice before we caught him and swarmed him.  Looking through the logs, I see that the Ogre suffered a spear through the back of the foot while attending to the three dwarves in front of it.  It fell immediately, giving us access to its body and head.  We stabbed it to death and crushed its skull with picks, then went back to bury our doctor. 

After a while, things went back to normal.  I ordered some mining to be done and that Muthkat lass volunteered, broken wrist unset and all.  We really should do something about that eventually.

Later that summer, three migrants arrive, all adult females. Male dwarves are outnumbered six to three now.  I set to them to work building a mechanic's workshop so we can create some traps.  An interruption message gives me cause to look into the logs-- a honey badger? I look-- it's already dead.  It became enraged (as honey badgers do) and attacked one of my Rottweilers.  The rott tore off its ear, grabbed it, shook it about, and crushed its skull with a bite very quickly without suffering more than a nick to the throat in return.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15392 on: August 12, 2011, 11:17:33 am »

About to embark for my space challenge... With one thing in mind: Can glass walls be seen through?

No.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15393 on: August 12, 2011, 11:31:35 am »

No.
Glass walls cannot be seen through... DAMMIT!!!!! I need this fort to be made almost entirely of glass, which is supposed to be seen through, and I've been told that GLASS WALLS CAN'T BE SEEN THROUGH. Do I need to make this fort out of windows with glass every two windows, or what?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #15394 on: August 12, 2011, 11:52:16 am »

No.
Glass walls cannot be seen through... DAMMIT!!!!! I need this fort to be made almost entirely of glass, which is supposed to be seen through, and I've been told that GLASS WALLS CAN'T BE SEEN THROUGH. Do I need to make this fort out of windows with glass every two windows, or what?

I think that windows support adjacent windows.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15395 on: August 12, 2011, 01:02:31 pm »

So it turns out my civ is at war with the elves, which explains the lack of elf caravan the first few years. However, my speardwarves went through them like a thresher through grain. My first militia member has forty kills and is legendary, wielding an artifact shield. The remaining three squad members keep dying to goblins but now that I have some iron armor reclaimed from goblinite crap that might stop.

The second level of the tower was completed and the walling off of the planned pump stack area. According to the bookkeeper there's about 2700 glass blocks involved so far.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15396 on: August 12, 2011, 04:54:50 pm »

decided that 3 awesome sword dwarves wasn't enough, so I recruited one of the haulers. Instead of looking at skills, which started the first 3 dwarves, I actually looked at personality traits. This girl likes chaos? screw him. This guy is a procrastinator? nope.

I was going to wait for one of the children to grow up, but then the perfect warrior-child got herself slaughtered, and the next child got herself kidnapped. So, *Ustuk it is - fully equipped but not knowing jack about weapons, being taught the ropes by 3 legendary dwarves.

I also have a new section expanded, with only a few finishing walls to construct before the next extension. the best thing about extensions is that I get to safely gather my goblinite, and the other civs just can't get enough troll leather trousers.

Micromanagement is mostly gone, except for the preparation of food. "what am I supposed to do when sweet pods are grown? no idea, I'll just leave them in this barrel". Damn it dwarves, this is why we ran out of quarry bushes before. I haven't done anything different the last 10 times you grew those. Good thing is that I have a manager, so I can just give them extra "mill the next 90 millable plants) order, along with "brew the next 90 brewable plants". Thank you manager.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15397 on: August 12, 2011, 05:22:22 pm »

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD CAVE-IN 5X COMBO!

I was designing a magma-purge system for ninety bedrooms. I realized that some walls needed to go to make way for floodgates. Said walls happened to each be the only thing supporting a single floor tile, which then fell down onto the deconstructor before falling through my main living area (the entirety of z-1, hollowed out) and into my mines. The five tiles that fell resulted in three deaths - an immigrant drafted into the masonry corps, a mechanic, and my high master blacksmith. For comparison, my second-best blacksmith is skilled, and the only other blacksmith in the fort is a novice.

FUCK
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15398 on: August 12, 2011, 05:39:50 pm »

Just seen off a fort's second goblin seige and completed the requirements to become the capital. Unfortunately, my starting seven weapons trainer bought it in the first goblin seige, when he took a whip to the face and died instantly. Now I'm having to depend on superior dwarven equipment to stand off the seiges.

I've got four squads; one is all swords except for the mace-wielding commander, one is the swordsmen of the fortress guard, one is a tiny, ineffectual crossbow unit who keep forgetting their bolts, and one is where I shove all the non-sword wielding immigrants with weapon skills.

EDIT: hey, a third goblin seige. It consists entirely of hammermen and macemen except for the swordmasters.

EDITEDIT: And the elite bowman. Armok protect!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 05:46:31 pm by (name here) »
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Greasemunky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15399 on: August 12, 2011, 06:27:24 pm »

I guess the name of my fort, Petsyrups, turned out to be rather prophetic, as there are puppies everywhere. Great for making a legion of war dogs I guess.
And hey, fps rose from 4 to 12 from all the death.  That's good, right?

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15400 on: August 12, 2011, 07:30:19 pm »

Goldcounsel. Another fort bordering glacier, taiga and tundra. Thankfully no aquifer this time. Though plenty of wild animals. Ice wolves caught several migrant children and killed them. But I now have a male and 2 females caged to start my own breeding population. Which should provide a nice source of war animals and leather/bone/food. My militia will all be getting cloaks, backpacks and waterskins made from them.

The fort itself is partially in the ceiling of the first cavern. With a staircase descending through a massive pillar of rock to below the cavern lake water level for a well and irrigated farms and food processing. On the main gate entrance level of the fort will be barracks, dining halls and housing. With workshops above that level and warehousing placed near a second staircase that is beside my depot.

After killing and butchering a pack of draltha and some crundles the exit to the caverns from my spiral ramp set have been temporarily walled off. Allowing some time for the militia to be armed and armored. There are silver, tin, copper and gold ores aplenty. So bronze will be the main metal used. I am also requesting steel and bismuth to be imported. I am also hoping a deeper cavern yields some bismuth deposits.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15401 on: August 12, 2011, 08:39:46 pm »

Growlmine lives up to its name of bad assedness. With all the Fortress Defense races present I'm getting around 4-6 sieges a season, plus an ambush or two, but the 60 dwarves in the archer tower pretty much stop any siege in its tracks and the survivors are finished off by a hardened core of veterans. In the past I've found axedwarves to be the best, and they're great at crippling stuff, but I have a pair of hammerdwarves who make a living braining nightwings and giants that the axes and bolts struggle to finish.

Consequently I have a ton of crap outside my fortress, and with a 160-odd dwarves I get a frame rate around 30. I've been melting down the weapons and armour but everything else is lying about in the pools of blood and vomit. Looks like a major clean up in ahead for the haulers.

I got my first Bronze Colossus ever! It was quickly cut down. I would have liked to catch it but didn't have any traps set up.

The Countesses quarters are finished to royal standards. She's understandably happy with them.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #15402 on: August 12, 2011, 08:51:55 pm »

The fortress Paintaker just got its arse handed to it in it's third year by a siege, three ambushes and a pair of FBs happening at the same time!!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15403 on: August 12, 2011, 09:00:01 pm »

I just succumbed to a siege. There were packs of goblins, giant rats and trolls rampaging around, so I ordered my dwarves to dig a passageway to the nearest river so I could drown the bastards; sadly, this was not to be. Every single dwarf who could lift a pickaxe decided to do everything BUT dig, no matter what I did.

Bastards.

I'm going to reclaim that fortress. This time, I'm going to train a military properly.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15404 on: August 12, 2011, 09:25:40 pm »

Well, I kind of fumbled the fourth seige, my top three swordsdwarves bought it because I screwed up sending them in against goblin macemen and a swordmaster one at a time.

EDIT: Outbreak of The Rot in progress, although it does not appear to linger on the ground, so it might just be confined to the fortress guard.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 10:03:18 pm by (name here) »
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 
Pages: 1 ... 1025 1026 [1027] 1028 1029 ... 3842