Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1015 1016 [1017] 1018 1019 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129099 times)

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15240 on: August 08, 2011, 01:46:57 am »

A Vile Force of Darkness has Arrived!

Oh, neat. Let's have some fun.

*12 War Giant Cave Spiders*

What in the fuck!?

Casualties are about 10 times what I expected, but on the plus side, I have plenty of silk outside of the fort to harvest!

Aiyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15241 on: August 08, 2011, 04:48:13 am »

Just had the world's most idiotic miner decide to go insane at the bottom of my mine shaft, and start breaking the pillars holding the cavern roof up...
The cavern roof is in turn holding my base up, in that my entire fortress will disappear into the ground if all the pillars go.

So I send my 10 strong militia, clad in iron, to deal with him.
He kills 8 of them with his pickaxe before I give up and flood the room with magma... sadly it doesn't flow fast enough, so those dwarves who survive the fall can burn to death.
Oh well, Hellfall was suitable name, I guess.
Sarchasm, Noun (Sar-Kaz-Im)
Definition: The gulf between your smartass comment, and the poor bastard that just doesn't get it.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15242 on: August 08, 2011, 05:19:59 am »

Just had the world's most idiotic miner decide to go insane at the bottom of my mine shaft, and start breaking the pillars holding the cavern roof up...
The cavern roof is in turn holding my base up, in that my entire fortress will disappear into the ground if all the pillars go.

Wait, so insane miners start randomly mining? That's either awesome or scary.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #15243 on: August 08, 2011, 05:31:29 am »

Just founded Spikestreaty after a long hiatus from DF- a Terrifying Temperate Freshwater Marsh with an aquifer, flux, clay, and shallow metal (singular.) My intention is to make this a Spartan fort- all military, no walls, no traps, basically an above-ground fort except I can mine for stuff. And by "mine" I mean "dig a pit of endless falling and dying to throw my foes in, and hey whatever I find while digging is bonus."

Strike the earth!

Someone REALLY needs to do a community fort this way. 

This. Is. DF!
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Luckymoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15244 on: August 08, 2011, 05:35:04 am »

Beginning to build the foundation for the MEGA HYDRO POWER DAM OF DOOM!!!

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15245 on: August 08, 2011, 06:14:27 am »

Trying to build a very deep sewage pipe, the dwarves insist on undermining each other so they keep falling and breaking their legs. This would be so much easier if they dug in a predictable pattern...

In other news, there's a caravan in the depot, and my broker has spent the last few days standing in the meeting room with No Job...

Death will be too good for him.
[Signature]

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15246 on: August 08, 2011, 06:29:24 am »

Niccolo, they can topple buildings, just like any other tantruming dwarf.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15247 on: August 08, 2011, 07:27:58 am »

Ohhh, it was... Oh. Like, actual supports. I imagined it to be naturally carved pillars. My mistake.

I knew they could topple buildings, I was just imagining a psychotic miner swinging his pick wildly at whatever walls he could find.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #15248 on: August 08, 2011, 07:33:54 am »

performing !!SCIENCE!! experiments with waterwheels in order to help design my colossal reactor.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #15249 on: August 08, 2011, 07:38:25 am »

Ohhh, it was... Oh. Like, actual supports. I imagined it to be naturally carved pillars. My mistake.

I knew they could topple buildings, I was just imagining a psychotic miner swinging his pick wildly at whatever walls he could find.

If that thing will be implemented, it shall be frightening sight.

"No, Urist, calm down FOR FUCK'S SAKE THAT'S WATER CISTE-*Whooooosh!*"

Your fortress crumbled to it's end :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15250 on: August 08, 2011, 07:43:16 am »

I just tested the pressure level in my drinking water reservoir and it literally flooded the entire fort in under a second.

Fortunately, I had the foresight to build the control levers above the maximum water height, so I should be able to recover the fort after several minutes of hardcore draining through a 1 tile-wide hole into the caverns.

Maybe I overdid it a bit...?

EDIT: Before this, 80 dwarves died of thirst after a siege trapped them inside the fort and I had to hurriedly fill the reservoir from the river. They died of thirst because a fisherdwarf stood in the way of the incoming flow and stopped me from filling it because he would have contaminated the water... He was immune to both burrow designations and having the fishing labour removed. He was absolutely determined to doom the fortress.

EDIT 2: Just noticed the water cistern comment by haspen...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 07:54:27 am by Tharwen »
[Signature]

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15251 on: August 08, 2011, 08:38:43 am »

Five hornlizards hatched.
I knew it was a good idea to make egg laying somehow-milkable cow sized lizards with a horn on their head!

Also, our siege engineer migrant won't lay the damn eggs.
LAY EGGS, DANGIT!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 08:49:04 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15252 on: August 08, 2011, 08:51:45 am »

Wow... seriously, wow. As mentioned many times before "Utteredtraded" is at war with the elves and regularly visited by large deposits of goblinite. And now some human diplomat decided to enter the map and drop dead right at the edge - probably of old age, as there was nothing dangerous nearby. Promptly (well, one year later) there are many more humans on my doorstep... to apologize for the inconvenience of having a dead diplomat in my forest, I assume. They brought lovely whips, scourges and meltable armor as a gift and promised to come back next year.

Yay! I'm at war with everybody without intentionally pissing anybody off  :P
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15253 on: August 08, 2011, 09:11:36 am »

Nisgakezum or the Frosthames finally plugged an aquifer. 2 levels through the stone and I have found gold. literally hundreds of it whilst carving a spiral ramp down to the caverns. The ground level straddles the edge of an untamed wilds Taiga. With moose and giant badgers aplenty strolling the taiga/glacier. The only casualty so far has been the carpenter falling in after dropping the plug to seal the gap in the aquifer. Though he had 2 broken legs and bruised organs he healed most of them in the space of a month thanks to his tough trait I guess. He drank some defrosted water, some booze and ate some yak meat and he only had a dented arm and bruising after finishing that meal. Now to get him to clear cut the trees in the surrounding area near my entrance.

There is an ad-hoc surface camp on the go whilst the excavations continue. My grower/brewer and cook/butcher/tanner have brewed all the plants I brought with me and slaughtered/prepared the 2 horses that came with the wagon. Whilst a breeding pair of goats have been temporarily pastured and 5 chickens a rooster have their own pasture near the new staircase until a spot underground can be made safer for them. At least they'll have all the food they'll need to last themselves whilst the base proper is finished.

I plan to furnish the main dining hall with gold furniture and gold well!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:16:12 am by Lexx »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15254 on: August 08, 2011, 09:14:30 am »

Our siege engineer finally laid the eggs.
I'm giving the Impalion [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] until the eggs hatch.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 ... 1015 1016 [1017] 1018 1019 ... 3842