Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1009 1010 [1011] 1012 1013 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128722 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15150 on: August 05, 2011, 10:31:14 pm »

My current fort is boring.

I'd go and stab the clowns, but I want my first time doing that (Yes, I'm a clown virgin!) to be the Pièce de résistance in a fort that's gone through crazy.

I had a fort like that, once.

It ended when I accidentally plugged a hole in the bottom of the river.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15151 on: August 05, 2011, 11:29:21 pm »

I embarked on top of another hydra lair. This one was immediately southeast of the wagon. Good site, best spot. One dfliquids-obsidian wall later and I'm set. I also have an ☼adamantine long sword☼ on the embark tile east of the hydra lair. Also, I've checked that my tame rocs and nakkadiles (humanoid cave crocodiles with red scales, modeled after the crocodiles from Homestuck) both can be purchased, and I've embarked with four nakkadiles (rocs are way too expensive to bring on embark). I wish I could tame that hydra so the nakkadiles could worship it as a god, what with it being the same color as them and being a seven-headed dragon thing. Definite god material.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15152 on: August 06, 2011, 03:54:48 am »

Zalisiden had its first Caravan today from our homeland, Olin Cenath (in the common tongue, The Tongs of Adventuring). I saw on their axedwarves a horrific sight. (image spoilered for slower connections)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They took our paltry amount of goods we could offer (six onyxes and a few claystone crafts) and demanded extra. in return we could only get a training sword and a dog off them. Sad that our parent nation can be so unforgiving in trade...

No moods as yet. We have two miners hurriedly digging out more room for workshops and our mason has begun to make statues to make the dining room better. It shan't take too long.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15153 on: August 06, 2011, 05:16:29 am »

Akrulatol has a few unhappy dwarves at the moment due to a recent cat extermination spree. The mayor went stark raving mad, and a hauler berserked while passing the barracks (he didn't last). Captain of the guard locked up a couple of serial tantrumers who had hit other dwarves:

First one went berserk while chained, so a squad of axedwarves burst into his cell and hacked him to bits.

The other tantrumed while someone was giving him food, hit the poor mason who ran away. So the CotG came over and punched the criminal in the head with his steel-gauntleted fist, killing him instantly.

My fortress is feeling more and more like a communist dictatorship...

(Before anyone says, I don't believe in decorating my cells to cheer up prisoners - it's supposed to be a prison, dammit! They do get individual wells though, after a nasty incident involving a dehydrated legendary metalcrafter and my rather forgetful, previous CotG... who was fed to the scorpions.)
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #15154 on: August 06, 2011, 06:00:01 am »

(image spoilered for slower connections)

Spoilering an image doesn't stop it from loading, only a pure URL link would give the effect you want. Not that I would bother...  :P

Recently at Tongshigh: Operation Magma Piston is nearing completion while a two-front invasion of cavern critters continues. A badger climbed to the top of the archer tower, where it was roundhouse kicked off by a speardwarf. The impact didn't manage to kill it but the entrance is now a pool of vomit. Constant illithid ambushes are making it hard to secure the caverns, where all our lifestock are pastured... at lest they'll serve as a practice ground for recruits.

I still have doubts about the integrity of the piston, but if it fails, I will re-arm it and drop it on the miners' heads. The mayor can join them, too.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15155 on: August 06, 2011, 06:42:53 am »

Back working on Divine Towers after a vacation...

Year and a half in and no explicit goblin assaults yet.  Migrants have pushed the fortress population to sixty.  Tower construction lags due to immediate infrastructure demands being made on the masons.

Adamantine being processed from a discovered spire, but not enough to start arming the militia yet.  A general lack of weapons-grade metal has limited the military so far - I just have some silver warhammers and whatever other stuff I can scrounge.  Hopefully, the next dwarven caravan will help with the situation.

In the meantime the Smelter Level is humming.  Four smelters processing ore (zinc, galena, gold, adamantine) and full-time glass and porcelain production going as well.  The last has been a useful trade good as well since a well-made pot goes for 1000-1500 db.

Last migrant wave, however, included two trained hunters.  They checked in, and then immediately went out and bagged three deer and a giant panda.  Plenty of meat, but now my limited crossbow bolt supply is drained again.  Bonecrafters, to your workshops! 

A badger incursion was brief due to serrated glass blades creating badger steaks and chops on the spot.  Yum!

Current project is getting the hospital stocked and ready to go.  A cistern is dug out, but I need the river to thaw in order to fill it.  Beyond that it's organizing the fortress and expanding facilities to handle the population growth. 
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #15156 on: August 06, 2011, 06:56:30 am »

I can't help but notice a nice story there :P

Dwarves founded the outpost, and the god of wealth laughed on their dirty hole. Then comes this Olon, one of many immigrants, a sign that fortress prosper. God gets pissed about this and makes dwarves rise from grave to haunt the living :D
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15157 on: August 06, 2011, 08:30:00 am »

Recently qualified for a mayor. The first elected mayor of Rampartroots wasted no time in issuing his first mandate. Which was...
Prohibiting the export of bins.
I fired his ass.
Really?  I often save bins for future use by selecting the contents for trade, while leaving the bin behind.  I tend to embark on sparse wood maps, so I save all the wood products I can!

So do I.

But if there's a mandate on bins, you can't even bring them to the depot.

Except for "ignore mandates" which I only just now remembered existed LAWL
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15158 on: August 06, 2011, 08:31:04 am »

Hmm, given supplies of marble, kaolinite, and cobaltite it might be time to get decorative.  Perhaps do the corner towers of the main keep in different colors to act as proper landmarks.  Red Tower for executions and split the militias between Blue and White teams.

And get some obsidian production going in order to get the Black Tower built that rules them all...
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15159 on: August 06, 2011, 09:02:57 am »

I'm testing out my new race of evil egg laying humanoids, who don't dig, and instead perform rituals to turn wood into stone, stone into ores and stuff.
They're working good.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15160 on: August 06, 2011, 09:08:05 am »

In two years I will have all the food. All of it.

Alternatively, all the war nakkadiles. All of them.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #15161 on: August 06, 2011, 09:09:24 am »

You're... You're insane!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15162 on: August 06, 2011, 09:11:29 am »

Now put enemies and magma in the area, and send a 13 year old dwarf with a steel sword to fight everything there.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15163 on: August 06, 2011, 09:12:24 am »

I have a hundred and eighty really tiny (average 60 cm3, just like cave crocodile hatchlings) ADHD anthropomorphic bright red crocodiles (and four adults). I passed "insane" a long time ago.

Now put enemies and magma in the area, and send a 13 year old dwarf with a steel sword to fight everything there.
How about the upright addy long sword I have? I just don't know how to break it.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #15164 on: August 06, 2011, 09:27:47 am »

How about the upright addy long sword I have? I just don't know how to break it.

q -> 'x' to destroy, I believe, much like every other furniture.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 1009 1010 [1011] 1012 1013 ... 3842