Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1006 1007 [1008] 1009 1010 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128187 times)

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15105 on: August 04, 2011, 10:48:36 pm »

Freecraft: Galena 252=
Population: 252
Wealth: Unk

Construction=
Finished building the outer walls and working on finishing the soil level rooms.  Preparing a secondary defensive zone around a lake in case I need to fish later on.  Preparing to drain the lake to retrieve the rest of my supplies that fell through the ice.. One of the hunters that drowned is now haunting the lake.

Production=
None

Combat=
None

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15106 on: August 04, 2011, 11:02:53 pm »

Decided to drain the wet moat to install a floodgate & lever.

Setup four pumps perpendicular to the flow from the river, adjacent to the double channel moat.  Let fly the pumps of dwarf!

Through a herculean effort, they actually managed to keep the nearest two tiles at 1/7 and 2/7 -just- long enough to install the floodgates on the floor, after removing the ramps (which was the whole point).  It took quite a few tries, and many suspended/inactive's, but they got the job done.

Of course, it flooded several hundred tiles of jungle nearby, but watcha gonna do, eh?

Didn't even think it would work, and there it is, working!  I'm now sucking the downstream side up so the masons can get in there and remove the rest of the ramps.  Huzzah for pumps!  (and next time, floodgates & lever go in FIRST )

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15107 on: August 04, 2011, 11:15:16 pm »

Deciding that it's been far too long since i sat down and played a good game of DF, i started a new fort.

Outpost Nishedtul, "Tradegrooves
2 Miners, 1 Woodworker, 3 Nobles/Admins, 1 Fishery Worker

So far, so good. Nishedtul is settled on a little cliff by the ocean. In winter/early spring, the ocean freezes over. This could be exploitable...
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

Aiyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15108 on: August 04, 2011, 11:24:30 pm »

I'm pretty new to DF, but I had a pretty good fortress going. The game had generated the name Hellfall, or Shashumid, automatically. I gave it the group name "The Halls of Fire" as a tribute to my last fortress... which had a dragon attack while the militia was sleeping.

So yeah, Shashumid Iton Ziril.
So I set up a forge, a mining level, workshops, dining room, kitchen, still, trade depot, stockpile, etc... and then a Giant Toad got in through a cavern. Hadn't thought to train up a militia yet, had slipped my mind.

A lone metalworker, completely untrained in combat, unarmoured and weaponless... beats up the toad. He sustained many head wounds but refused to go down.
In total, he has survived having his left eye ripped off, an artery in his head opened, his leg gashed, and being gored in the upper back, stomach, lower left leg and right shoulder.
So much for needing a militia :D
Sarchasm, Noun (Sar-Kaz-Im)
Definition: The gulf between your smartass comment, and the poor bastard that just doesn't get it.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #15109 on: August 05, 2011, 12:54:44 am »

Seriously, there are no goblins, kobolds, nothing. My biggest problem was a grizzly bear who got caught in a trap... he's now trained as a war grizzly who shall devour Elves because fuck Elves.

It's possible Goblins are extinct on your current map. When choosing an Embark site, be sure and TAB through your options to see if everybody's around. Or at least everyone you want to have show up..
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15110 on: August 05, 2011, 01:03:14 am »

Freecraft=

Got a few migrants in, managed to bury the hunters (which is good as they were both back as ghosts), and built defensive walls up.  Finished the 'soil layer' (which has my food industry, metal industry and storage).  Started moving chopped wood inside and burning it up to make charcoal and some ash (better to have soap before you need it, I hate losing a brave warrior to something as unheroic as an infection) and started digging around for metal to make actual armor out of.

I am probably making a mistake saying it but I've been fortunate not to have any attacks yet.. Its almost odd.  There are at least a dozen enemy civilizations nearby and there are many semi/megabeasts wandering the lands as well, but I have not seen anything more hostile then a capabera.  Oh well, its only a matter of time and I"d prefer not a repeat of Helmgod (located above, smashed to the ground by a titan).  I'd love to have at least a basic metal industry going and get my military equipped before the sieges and monsters arrive. 

Long live Freecraft!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15111 on: August 05, 2011, 01:50:56 am »

Seriously, there are no goblins, kobolds, nothing. My biggest problem was a grizzly bear who got caught in a trap... he's now trained as a war grizzly who shall devour Elves because fuck Elves.

It's possible Goblins are extinct on your current map. When choosing an Embark site, be sure and TAB through your options to see if everybody's around. Or at least everyone you want to have show up..

Yeah, I know. When I embarked I assumed goblins would appear 'cause those things are like bloody roaches. And I'm so used to them being there.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #15112 on: August 05, 2011, 02:04:19 am »

One question, though: Why can grizzlies be trained by an animal trainer, but a badger takes a dungeon master?

... but a badger takes a dungeon master?

badger

badger
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

valayane

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels butchering Roc: Hndling Dangerous Creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #15113 on: August 05, 2011, 02:50:32 am »

in DF, i hate 3 things, badgers, vermin and cattle eating my framerate  >:( >:( >:(
i almost miss the grobi sieges
Valayane likes Gold, Silver, Adamantium and Slade, he likes the color Bloodred, likes Dragons for their terrible majesty and prefers to consume Masterfully Prepared Roc Meat and Sunshine

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15114 on: August 05, 2011, 03:08:47 am »

What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15115 on: August 05, 2011, 03:19:31 am »

One question, though: Why can grizzlies be trained by an animal trainer, but a badger takes a dungeon master?

... but a badger takes a dungeon master?

badger

badger

What.
That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on!
It's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #15116 on: August 05, 2011, 03:24:45 am »

Since I thought I could use something new once in a while, I decided to try my hand at the "Millennium Fortress" challenge or whatever it was again where you make a fort from the few dorfs you'll ever get, I got 17 thanks to migrants showing up and then of course the whole migration ended. Probably has to do with the destroyed dorf civilization.

Anyway.

A bunch of "foocubi" showed up to trade, and trade we did!
And now a year later, the traders are still there. In the fort. Walking about seemingly aimlessly.
Or well that's what I thought until I noticed that they all, merchants and their guards alike, tend to follow some dorf for a while before going about for a few seconds and then start following someone again.

I got no idea why.

But seeing how they're all succubi, I think they're trying to seduce them. Shocking, yes.

I need to figure out if I can get them out of the fort somehow(nothing stopping them from using the same route the OTHER merchants use to get in and out). Well that and the 40 enemies waltzing about on the surface with a retinue of warbeasts.

valayane

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels butchering Roc: Hndling Dangerous Creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #15117 on: August 05, 2011, 05:39:02 am »

man, i'm in adventur mode atm, wrestling with a winged horror, lost my warhammer when some bogeys slammed me into a river, it takes forever to take it down, i'm trying all i can, but it won't die :/
edit: it's ribs r broken, it's heart and guts lost function, its throat is missing, its legs r broken, its wings r badly damaged, its head and lower body r cut open and still it keeps going, is this thing immortal?
edit: i'm beating it up with a corpse atm xD
edit: heart & guts r the same, head, lower body, middle spine and mouth r badly injured, throat & left leg r missing, the rest is broken, AND IT STILL CHASES ME TELLING ME I'LL DIE, WATTA HELL IS WITH THAT THING  :o :o :o :o :o
edit: sweet victory is mine  :D :D :D, lol, 30 secs later i was beating 3 lions with the corpse xD
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 06:14:52 am by valayane »
Valayane likes Gold, Silver, Adamantium and Slade, he likes the color Bloodred, likes Dragons for their terrible majesty and prefers to consume Masterfully Prepared Roc Meat and Sunshine

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #15118 on: August 05, 2011, 10:38:15 am »

I just embarked on one of my "normal" runs (meaning not on a glacier, or in a terrifying biome, or whatever), and the first announcement I get is that I've discovered a lair! So I go over and look at the lair, and inside is a Voracious Cave Crawler. Well I steel myself up for a good fight, draft everyone into a squad with no equipment at all and all 7 dwarves charge into the lair to try and wrestle this thing to death. And the thing is, that's exactly what they did... it managed to make one of the recruits nauseous, but we chased it around the map for a day or two and then someone tackled it and someone else kicked it in the head or something. And now life is back to normal; nothing in the lair was worth taking, so I'm just ignoring that pit in the ground and digging into a mountain wall as planned. No one even got any points in fighter, striker or wrestler, so that was all pointless.

In other news, my glacier fort just got flooded when miners somehow managed to flood the upper level of the fort while hitting wet stone to irrigate farms in the lower section... I dunno, maybe ice melted and upped the water pressure or something, but nothing's going on with the surface. Too bad too, I was rationing wood, and had made my way into the rock layer, things were going pretty smoothly too...
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... he's gone.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15119 on: August 05, 2011, 10:50:31 am »

I'm using the Civilization Forge Modification. No improvements other than making dorfs use above-ground plants.
Pages: 1 ... 1006 1007 [1008] 1009 1010 ... 3842