Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 999 1000 [1001] 1002 1003 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127651 times)

Saladman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15000 on: August 02, 2011, 05:00:34 pm »

My current site goes soil, solid dolomite all the way down to the first cavern (yay flux stone!), then cobaltite and tetrahedrite around the caverns for my metals (boo no iron!).  So I'm running off copper and a little silver, but at least my rock doors and furniture are worth a little more than normal.  But the surface has hippos, and I treated myself to changing them to non-exotic and also [trainable], so I should have war hippos online soon.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15001 on: August 02, 2011, 06:32:12 pm »

I'm trying to make a statue of Iden, the hero of granitesteels, but I'm having trouble. No wonder... apparently he doesn't have ANY friends. Huh? yup, they considered him completely disposable. I am thus moving his "room" to one of the great-hall dining rooms.
---
Success! He now has a statue, a friend, and a crutch.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15002 on: August 02, 2011, 06:39:15 pm »

Participating in the 'cave challenge' (thread below), so far so horrible, this is how dwarf fortress was meant to be played! Long live Mutemine!

In short it has been a bloodbath, there have been tons of monsters killed and tons of dwarves killed, the halls were literally littered with corpses.  We got to the point recently where we were down to just two dwarves left but recnetly have gotten an influx of ten or so migrants and the fortress is progressing again.  We have gotten some basic defenses up for the cavern and are beginning to build our metal industry.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:00:52 pm by Mickey Blue »

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15003 on: August 02, 2011, 07:07:36 pm »

Let us see; Urist McWhereIsAnythingToDrink died of thirst. We are at a dangerous low of 985 in the alky stocks, with a hospital, (with well,) a dining room with well, a river - look... Urist cannot have died of thirst. He was fine. He didn't need water. He should have... Ahh, Udil Esthob, you dumb arse.

(Do not bother to tell me that he did die of thirst and that it is possible. No point in that. Cause a tantrum, that might. On great examination I realize that he was 21 steps away from a barrel of life-water. He was a clothier, and his shop is but 25 steps away from the closest alky stockpile - a still is 12 tiles east of his shop. And he is generally not at work, though he is around enough. Well, he'll never be at work or thirsty anymore, now will he?)
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15004 on: August 02, 2011, 10:10:13 pm »

Let us see; Urist McWhereIsAnythingToDrink died of thirst. We are at a dangerous low of 985 in the alky stocks, with a hospital, (with well,) a dining room with well, a river - look... Urist cannot have died of thirst. He was fine. He didn't need water. He should have... Ahh, Udil Esthob, you dumb arse.

Hahaha, I've had the same problem. I love dwarves and their sheer retardation at times.

I'm currently considering firing my jeweller out of a cannon - I think I'd have to specially build one, but I could handle that. My jeweller is highly skilled yet refuses to do any sort of work whatsoever, so as far as I'm concerned is a pile of dead weight. And if I have to fire him out of a cannon to make a point, then that's what I'll do.

Oh.

Oh God.

It's finally happened. I'm becoming a Bay12er in truth.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15005 on: August 02, 2011, 10:20:29 pm »

I found out I was a bay12er when I executed 20 migrants and their children because I couldn't handle extra mouths to feed.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15006 on: August 02, 2011, 10:42:07 pm »

I was teaching my brother how to play DF today. He got the ropes and got a decent fort going.
He just came down to tell me that the dwarf traders were being asses, so he was killing them with his 20-dwarf strong army. He thought I was laughing because of the traders.
I believe this is the best thing I have ever done.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15007 on: August 02, 2011, 10:51:20 pm »

Job well done, yet another kitten butchering maniac is let loose upon the world. MUHAHAHAHAHA!

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15008 on: August 02, 2011, 10:54:24 pm »

He just came down now. He said "Guess what just-" and I laughed so hard I fell out of my chair.

I love my little brother an dI love this game.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15009 on: August 02, 2011, 11:02:13 pm »

Keep converting, and soon all will bow to the light of DF. heheh.
--

In my latest fort, which has sand, I am now making all my weapon traps 10 x large, serrated green glass discs.  This has proven very effective, with 4 x magma glass furnaces.

I built a water-filled moat, which was built incorrectly, prior to filling it. (remove the ramps BEFORE you fill it, you fool! )  So I built a dry mount outside the wet moat, and this has proven very entertaining.  In that goblins fall in, and have to run such a LONG way to get out, with traps slicing them into goblin pieces.  So satisfying!

I almost didn't get my danger room built before the first siege showed up, so I had to take them out one squad at a time.  At least I had the foresight to build a drawbridge this time.  Oh, and whatever the hell random number generator made a world without plump helmet seeds, or underground crops?  To hell with you, I'm breeding farm animals this time.  And making the bearded fellas drink water from sublime wells.  pbbbth!  Lips that touch plants will never touch theirs!

Adamantine beckons!

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15010 on: August 03, 2011, 12:16:29 am »

Today I got a visit from a goblin ambush with the WORST TIMING EVER. I bet they weren't expecting to go up against five skilled Hammerdwarves (one with a pet Giant Leopard), two crack-shot Marksdwarves (who were picking them off from 70 paces), a team of Human traders, and a NIGHT CREATURE DIPLOMAT who happened to be visiting at the time.

The goblins were no match for the barrage of hammers, maces, longswords, bone bolts and freezing extract.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15011 on: August 03, 2011, 12:17:39 am »

Success!  The dwarves of the fortress of Scrapedsword have punched through the cavern lake and sealed up the opening.  The days of 2/4 FPS are over.  I had grand ambitions to deconstruct all the pumps and platforms, bit they will now stand as testament to the masons who lost their lives in the pit, and those too stupid to realise that they shouldn't drink from the perpetual motion engines.

We have new wells to dig and a new hospital to layout, and my goodness is 71FPS faster than 4...

We have also entered the Age Of Legends!  Which I had to Wiki.  Nice work peeps, Mega Beasts are now a protected speices.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:19:58 am by JimiD »

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15012 on: August 03, 2011, 12:24:44 am »

My last fort was killed by clowns. This one has bamboo, and pandas! Squee!
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15013 on: August 03, 2011, 02:51:32 am »

Aaaaaabsolutely nothing.

60 [of 100] legendary iron-clad axe-dwarves. Literally about 2,000 serrated iron disc traps and 2,000 iron spears attached to a repeater, a flowing moat connected to a river, all three caverns broached and candy found [but unopened].

Not a single goblin or kobold. The most dangerous thing encountered was a few trogs. I went back and double-checked my world parameters and world state. Couldn't find any reason why I was evidently living in the world's most boring region of the world. Sigh.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 03:09:54 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15014 on: August 03, 2011, 03:04:31 am »

Progress on my cannon is coming along nicely. However, it would seem that my jeweller took the hint as he's now furiously cutting gems to appease me.

I have so many wind turbines in my fort that from the ground it must look like some kind of insane effort to make the continent take off.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!
Pages: 1 ... 999 1000 [1001] 1002 1003 ... 3842