Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 990 991 [992] 993 994 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127176 times)

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14865 on: July 27, 2011, 02:02:13 pm »

Gildbends has fallen. To a giant beakless swallow with poisonous gas and trunk :s. The poisonous gas was bad enough for the military to run away and then the swallow followed them in. Slowly killing the citizens. Looks like the story has been cut short xD.

Liquid Ice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14866 on: July 27, 2011, 02:24:17 pm »

Just got back to dwarf fortress after a short hiatus that involved difficult classes and a life.

haven't played since .12 so i start 'er up thinking things will come back to me pretty quick (which they do) i get myself carved out a nice little beginnings of a entrance hall when i hit the unit menu. Giant badgers. Well that was a new one by me. then i noticed something, they were coming towards my fort. awww crap. after five minutes my dorfs were dead all over the place, the badgers were really mad, and oh armok the blood and dwarf bits.

IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK! SMELLS LIKE DWARF FORTRESS!

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14867 on: July 27, 2011, 03:14:45 pm »

I removed a construction over magma, leading to an explosion of smoke and magma mist.  At first it seemed that everyone was fine, since I didn't see any injured bodies.  A minute or so later, I had 12 dwarfs simultaneously bleed to death.
My guess is, each of them was standing on one part of the platform, removing another, and someone removed the one that was supporting the rest.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14868 on: July 27, 2011, 03:26:30 pm »

Koganolon, a new fortress at 40d mod, didn't have a great start.

3 days after embark, cave-in killed my only miner.

Then, had to deal with triple aquifer but lucked out, what with two clusters of mica one under other.

Half a year later, my main crafter/leader is killed in shruk siege.

The evil ocean... really seems to toss evil stuff at me and my dwarves.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14869 on: July 27, 2011, 04:15:30 pm »

For some reason, on my latest embark more than ever, I'm dealing with the constant problem of dwarves walking into thawing ponds and streams.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14870 on: July 27, 2011, 04:17:02 pm »

For some reason, on my latest embark more than ever, I'm dealing with the constant problem of dwarves walking into thawing ponds and streams.

Also had that happen a lot. Currently they treat the (even) temporarily frozen water as normal ground. Then when it thaws they drown. Try adding a single tile channel to each pool or at regular intervals in a river so they can climb out.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14871 on: July 27, 2011, 05:17:16 pm »

Welcome back, I'm sure you noticed, badgers are the new carp.  Except while carp only had carp, we have giant badgers, honey badgers, badgermen, and... well... badgers.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #14872 on: July 27, 2011, 05:20:54 pm »

Whats that smell, you say? Well, its a mix of molten rock, badger shit, and burning elf. Enjoy.

tmrt

• Bay Watcher
  • Black-Clad Voyeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14873 on: July 27, 2011, 05:23:00 pm »

Welcome back, I'm sure you noticed, badgers are the new carp.  Except while carp only had carp, we have giant badgers, honey badgers, badgermen, and... well... badgers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also look out for grazing creatures.

Max176

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14874 on: July 27, 2011, 05:33:29 pm »

Just got back to dwarf fortress after a short hiatus that involved difficult classes and a life.
Life? What is this mythical thing you speak of?
I'm mining out and admixture every section of adamant ore I can get my easily on to alternation my armoursmith up to allegorical so he can accomplish actively alarming armour for my aggressive. again I'm traveling to do the aforementioned for weapons.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14875 on: July 27, 2011, 05:51:21 pm »

My champion swordsman got an arrow shot at her.  She dodges, because she's my champion for a reason.  But then she immediately attacks the offending goblin 5 times in the space it takes my other military to hit it once. Chopping a bit of a limb off all but once.  She then follows it up by biting the poor thing in the right eye and latching on firmly.  At which point another soldier decides to scratch it in the right eyelid.

It's like "Oh you did NOT just shoot that thing at ME." rage and the breaking of reality all in the space of 15 ticks.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14876 on: July 27, 2011, 06:29:57 pm »

My champion swordsman got an arrow shot at her.  She dodges, because she's my champion for a reason.  But then she immediately attacks the offending goblin 5 times in the space it takes my other military to hit it once. Chopping a bit of a limb off all but once.  She then follows it up by biting the poor thing in the right eye and latching on firmly.  At which point another soldier decides to scratch it in the right eyelid.

It's like "Oh you did NOT just shoot that thing at ME." rage and the breaking of reality all in the space of 15 ticks.
and now she's a legend - may her tomb be dwarfy.

My current fort has a security problem - no warriors. I'm currently trying to rectify the problem, but I'm also without decent equipment. Wooden axes as weapons? please... no armor? not good. So I'm currently relying on heavily segregated locked doors for security. Just hope that goblins don't decide to siege.

EDIT: letting ni the elves was a bad idea - the goblins snuck in too. I decided to let it play out (really... how am I going to defeat them if I can't even easily access my farms?), and lo - we all died. Next fort, here I come.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 06:36:36 pm by malimbar04 »
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14877 on: July 27, 2011, 08:01:03 pm »

I've spent most of today trying to drop caged goblins/trolls in magma.

It's harder than I thought.  First, I thought I could use a raising bridge to fling them into lava.  Nope.  Can't build on bridges, so I can't place them there.  But I learned about how to build both retracting a raising bridges, so that was time well spent.

Then I channeled some holes above my magma chamber, and cover them in hatch covers, and create my pit.  and assign them to the pit, and they instantly run away.

As do... deer... badgers.. racoons... really, anything not tame.  Which defeats the purpose.  If they're tame, the dwarfs will just drag them to the hole in the floor and shove them in.  You don't even need to build the cages nearby. 
Ok, but they're not tame!  I've built walls on 7 sides of the pit, put single tile-width hallways leading to each hole, to force the dwarves behind the cages, so the victims have no where to run, and they still just jump out and run away, past the dwarf and out to chaotic freedom.

Is there no way to do this without burning two mechanisms per cage for every death?  I mean... can't I just build the cages and then push them into the magma, somehow?  I cage-catch a bajillion of these guys, I want an efficient means of disposal!  (that isn't an atom smasher/falling bridge)  I just want goblin-magma-puff-smoke.  I don't care about the lost cages.

I've looked through the wiki and I get that you can use two mechanisms, and a lever to remotely open cages, but you apparently can't "transfer" goblins like you can tame animals, which again, is pointless because tame animals don't need special transferring!  /grumble

Yes, I can just have the military there to turn them into bolt-porcupines, but the point of the cage traps (for me) is a nice packaging for disposal.

Liquid Ice

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14878 on: July 27, 2011, 08:14:24 pm »

I've spent most of today trying to drop caged goblins/trolls in magma.

It's harder than I thought.  First, I thought I could use a raising bridge to fling them into lava.  Nope.  Can't build on bridges, so I can't place them there.  But I learned about how to build both retracting a raising bridges, so that was time well spent.

Then I channeled some holes above my magma chamber, and cover them in hatch covers, and create my pit.  and assign them to the pit, and they instantly run away.

Is there no way to do this without burning two mechanisms per cage for every death?  I mean... can't I just build the cages and then push them into the magma, somehow?  I cage-catch a bajillion of these guys, I want an efficient means of disposal!  (that isn't an atom smasher/falling bridge)  I just want goblin-magma-puff-smoke.  I don't care about the lost cages.

(section edited for length's sake)

"if goblin will not go to the magma, the magma must go to the goblin" - the book of dorf:.25

there isn't a real special way of doing that that doesn't involve some machinery, believe me i tried back in the day and led to some hide and go seek with an axe. the better suggestion is simply build yourself a flood-deflood chamber, build those cages and flood the gobbos with magma, then vent the room. voila, instant self cleansing sadistic mayhem. bonus points awarded for clever use of water, pressure, blood and ice.

EDIT: i take it back, I'm an idiot. it is possible technically to get them to haul gobbos like that i believe, i just never got it to work because my dorfs would run away screaming. remember to disarm them by dumping their stuff. that never did work for me but it might for you.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 08:28:01 pm by Liquid Ice »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14879 on: July 27, 2011, 08:38:55 pm »

Oh they'll move the cages no problem.  you can build and remove the construction just fine.  It's a combination of not being able to build a cage on top of any existing construction, and the inability to push things...

I will keep experimenting, but the magma flood idea would definitely work, and it would give me a chance to learn all about magma safe pumps, I suppose.
Pages: 1 ... 990 991 [992] 993 994 ... 3842