Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 988 989 [990] 991 992 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126996 times)

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14835 on: July 26, 2011, 11:28:38 am »

I recently started an ocean-side fort inspired by Failcannon, and something very interesting happened while I was down in Cavern 1.  I accidentally tried to build a floor connected only to a bridge.  The floor finished, collapsed, fell 20 Z-levels (ish) through the underground lake into the next cavern, beginning a long and FPS-drainy draining into the next cavern.  I wish I could say something awesome happened after that, other than that my FPS dropped from 60 to 20.  On the plus side, giant badgers continue to decimate the population.

Edit: Oh great, now it crashed.  Well, the FPS recently was at 8-10, so screw that, I'm starting a new fort where I don't have to deal with annoying waves.
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14836 on: July 26, 2011, 12:27:26 pm »

Making progress, very slowly.  I'm building an iron castle, starting an iron pumpstack, and trying desperately to come up with more iron.  Meanwhile, I have about 175 dwarfs, 75 idlers, lots of pets, and about 40 bedrooms.  There's a chance this won't work out quite the way I want it to.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14837 on: July 26, 2011, 01:41:08 pm »

Come the Autumn caravan Giltbends is thriving. The population rising to 18 stalwart dwarves. Despite the constant menace of troglodytes the miners manage to finish the entrance hall and more permanent storage for food and refuse. Limul Nakasmafol now has an elk bird, 2 troglodytes and a giant mole as kills to his name. The last one after the mole had somehow snuck into the food storage and drank half of the stores. 84 booze and a whole barrel of elk bird meat. A frentic chase ensued and eventually the beast was laid low. And is now being butchered to make up for some of stores it ruined.

The caravan from the mountainhomes arrived just prior to winter to find a small but bustling settlement. What had started out as a small group of dwarven pioneers was beginning to take some shape as civilization. Under the cavern floor a small, efficient settlement is growing. Cog the caravans leader watched locals from varied origins till new fields, chopping down cave fungus trees and bringing in fresh fish from the deeper caverns. passing into the branch-off coridoor leading to the entrance of the Giltbends he notices a mechanic hard at work. Rigging up some cages to a cunningly designed system of counterweights. Thinking better to not disturb the dwarf in his vital work he continues on. leading his caravan onward. Passers by casually greeting him as they pass. Giving their well wishes and obviously pleased to see the settlements first caravan. A lifeline with the mountainhomes and a source for any materials the fort cant supply itself. Which in this wilderness could mean the difference between famine and fortune.

A dwarf in robes and a neatly combed moustache appears as they reach the main door of the settlement. From his dress and demeanour Cog decided it was safe to assume this to be the expedition leader. Libash Rakustkulal extends his arms wide in greeting as the group approaches. Taking Cogs hand firmly in both hands to shake it in greeting.
 'Welcome to Giltbends brehtren! I'm glad you found us safely. The icefields are harsh at this time of year. Come, come and let us get to business." He says as he ushers the group past the thick granite doors. To one side of them standing an armored dwarf armed with a silver hammer. His helmet off and held at the hip. He nods to Cog in greeting as they pass before continuing a conversation with one of the forts masons.

'You seem to have taken to your new home well Libash. Im impressed. For all this to occur in a year. It's a wonder you did not freeze on the wastes! I thought nothing good could come of living in such a place..' Libash grins and nods whilst the dwarf talks. His hands behind his back as they walk at the head of the caravan.
'Yes it has been fortuitous times for us. Without Limul back there though to keep the Troglodytes in check though we would've been overrun. As it is we've had a few people with cuts and bruises. But nothing worse thankfully. Though even him alone wont be able to look after all of us the way things are. The next migrants we get with military experience will form a squad to work with him. All the surface bears for us are yetis.. Strange creatures. Thankfully they keep their distance from us and we do the same with them. So far at least..'
'But enough of the past. let us see what goods you bring to trade!' The two laugh easily as they head deeper into the forts trading hall and warehouse area.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10601-giltbends The fort so far.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 03:20:57 pm by Lexx »

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14838 on: July 26, 2011, 04:09:22 pm »

You did all that in less then a year? Eek.

Maybe you should make a community topic about it. People more or less seem to only read the shorter posts here or things that are crazy.

522 comes to a close in Daggerdepths and with it comes my yearly tabulation of how many notable kills my military got. The Slayer of the Year for 522 was Zon 'Hollywood', a swordsdwarf with 8 notable kills, now 26 kills total. Was a very competitive year, with 13/24 military dwarves getting 5 kills or more over 2 sieges. I only give kill priority when it comes to FB's where only my Elite Squads are allowed to fight, so it's a fun measure to see who was the best ass kicker.

For fun here's a list of my top 10 Slayers:

Lokum 'Deadpool'   (Sword)  136 6 (Captain of Elite Squad 1)
onul 'Nameless'    (Axe)    78  5 (Militia Commander and Captain of Elite Squad 2)
onul 'The Nose'    (Sword)  75  5 (Elite Squad 2 member)
Ducim 'Punisher'   (Axe)    71  6 (Elite Squad 1 member)
Vabok 'Magoo'      (Hammer) 59  4
Medtob 'Tory'      (Spear)  46  4 (Elite Squad 2 member)
Bomrek 'Tyson'     (Hammer) 46  5 (Elite Squad 1 member)
Reg 'Hannibal'     (Hammer) 46  5 (Elite Squad 2 member)
Tulon 'Spartan'    (Spear)  41  1 (Elite Squad 1 member)
Melbil 'Nerfy'     (Axe)    41  3

The first number is their notable kills and the 2nd their notable kills for 522. The 2 dwarves not in the Elite Squads are the militia captains of my remaining military btw.

Rooster90

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14839 on: July 26, 2011, 04:49:52 pm »

New fort "Plungedknives" has begun in earnest. Especially my hunter. Apparently my embark team consists of a team of Dwarven amazons and 1 very lucky male. My hunter however, within seconds of embarking decided it was a good time to hunt a pack of about 7 wild badgers for breakfast. 2 were killed, the first by brain damage, the other into a vomit machine. Both pin cushions as it seems i'm already out of bolts. She casually strolled away from the corpses and the other badgers cowered in fear and pissed in the nearby river.

msilenus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14840 on: July 26, 2011, 06:39:20 pm »

Trapped a minotaur, but didn't have a zoo to put him in at first, so I let him stew out in the wilds for a bit.  Later, I was pasturing some pets and accidentally selected him.  Oops.

Urist McBadIdea goes over there to pull the minotaur over to a pasture.  Minotaur has other plans.  Chases him around a bit, breaks five of his bones, and then... stops.

So I sit there, waiting for poor Urist to die so the minotaur will rush my gate and get trapped again, but Urist apparently isn't fatally wounded.  And the minotaur is just lingering right next to him.  I start wondering: is he camping the corpse, waiting for someone to come out to rescue him?

I inspect the minotaur.  He's exhausted and unconscious.  Apparently he had his rage on the whole time he was pent up in that cage.  I wait a month for him to wake up and kill Urist (I really want him alive for my zoo) but finally just lose patience and have my wrestler squad saunter out there and strangle him in his coma.  Urist survives his savage beating and subsequent exposure to the elements, even though it was another few months before I realized that my diagnostician didn't have the labor enabled.  That's really poor treatment for a dorf who just vanquished a minotaur by having it wail on him until it passed out from the effort.  I almost feel bad about that.

Another minotaur came a few months later, so I got one for my zoo after all.  Happy ending for everyone.

Alobomb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14841 on: July 26, 2011, 07:34:36 pm »

I am currently trying to do the "World Domination" Mega Project from the wiki. All my dwarves but one and the military are starving to death as they engrave Urist McFuhrers private quarters. And office. And second office. And personel garden.
So I guess this is more of a totalrian state then =/

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14842 on: July 26, 2011, 07:34:57 pm »

My first successful fort has reached the point of near fps death. I have decided to give it an honorable end and I am now in the process of breaching hfs.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14843 on: July 26, 2011, 07:41:40 pm »

I let a Giant Olm and an Ogre into Anusdimple by accident. I was mass-designating levels of mining, with tunnels running two spaces apart to reveal literally every tile on a given level... and I'd already discovered the cavern system, so when my miners broke through and exposed our secure fort to Armok-knows what, they didn't see fit to notify me. The Ogre wandered over to the barracks and served as lovely practice for the boys, no problem at all. The Olm? He was a bit more trouble.

My first responders to the beast after I started getting 'Interrupted by Giant Olm' messages were all wielding badass things like steel war hammers. So they beat on the Olm for a bit but weren't doing anything but bruises. The Olm responds by ripping a Hammerdorf's freaking leg clean off and ripping another Dorf's legs open and spewing their blood all over. It took somebody with a sword arriving to slice and dice the abomination.  At least after that I went looking for the breach, sealed it up, and we didn't have any trouble until that whole four-way pile up thing.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #14844 on: July 26, 2011, 07:58:37 pm »

A Planter got a Fey Mood, as has claimed a Mechanics workshop (so, Mechanism)

So far his components are:
Obsidian
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and still gathering (no, I havn't done any artificial planepacking) any bets on the final artifact value?

Edit: 17 Spoiler 5 Obsidian 9 Petrified Wood...

Edit: He's up to 32 Raw Spoiler, I'm starting to get concerned for his mental health.

Edit: He's up to 40 Raw Spoiler, 12 Petrified Wood and 5 Obsidian, the Workshop is now very cluttered, I hope he doesn't stave to death while working on it.

Edit: hmmm, looks like it was accidently planepacked, got up to 60 Spoiler, then I thied deleting my "Children" burrow and he started gathering non-stone components... Should I kill the process and reload, or see what he makes from the bug?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 09:30:08 pm by kaenneth »
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14845 on: July 26, 2011, 08:13:45 pm »

And my entire militia just got owned in a matter of seconds. One or two of them went down swinging, but most just got beat into the ground by swarms of the bastards. The caverns are full of smoke as my population dwindles.

All burn.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Max176

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14846 on: July 26, 2011, 09:30:00 pm »

Edit: He's up to 32 Raw Spoiler, I'm starting to get concerned for his mental health.
Praise Armok, we need an update on this. This thing is going to be PRICELESS. Imagine it in a weapon trap with 10 masterwork spoiler-material serrated disks.
I'm mining out and admixture every section of adamant ore I can get my easily on to alternation my armoursmith up to allegorical so he can accomplish actively alarming armour for my aggressive. again I'm traveling to do the aforementioned for weapons.

Max176

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14847 on: July 26, 2011, 09:33:02 pm »

Edit: hmmm, looks like it was accidently planepacked, got up to 60 Spoiler, then I thied deleting my "Children" burrow and he started gathering non-stone components... Should I kill the process and reload, or see what he makes from the bug?
Just keep on going and let em' finish, it will be pretty awesome.
I'm mining out and admixture every section of adamant ore I can get my easily on to alternation my armoursmith up to allegorical so he can accomplish actively alarming armour for my aggressive. again I'm traveling to do the aforementioned for weapons.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #14848 on: July 26, 2011, 09:35:19 pm »

that is a lot of potential weapons, I may rollback after he's done, but I guess I need to see what he's making.

edit: now he grabbed 2 sets of diamonds, 2 forgotten beast leathers, and is going for something else still...

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 09:46:48 pm by kaenneth »
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14849 on: July 26, 2011, 09:55:42 pm »

Cavern spider got a kill earlier. It was a named gcs too, ambushed and killed one of the swordsdwarves. Who was right beside 3 swordslords. Yeah, the dwarf would have made it too, if only he could have held his breath for a few more seconds. (He was being picked up by the chief medic.) Now to 'properly' secure those caves. And set traps for future 'friends'.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."
Pages: 1 ... 988 989 [990] 991 992 ... 3842