Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 986 987 [988] 989 990 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126830 times)

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14805 on: July 24, 2011, 07:18:05 pm »

I just made a squad of Marksdwarves and they've been named the "Blockaded Rooters" - rooting being slang in some countries for... well, yes. Those must be some frustrated Marksdwarves.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14806 on: July 24, 2011, 08:35:34 pm »

I doubt it, since they're the ones doing the blockading.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Max176

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14807 on: July 24, 2011, 09:10:20 pm »

Semi-new fort. I have about six super soldiers, decked out in full adamantine and adamantine picks, trained in a danger room. It's just amazing. I wiped out a siege in six seconds. Six.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, I found an arm sitting on the top of the castle portion of the fort. I think picks are slightly too powerful at the moment, it's way too easy to train up a legion of ridiculously powerful dorfs. In addition, I have 73 legendary dwarves. Is this normal?
I'm mining out and admixture every section of adamant ore I can get my easily on to alternation my armoursmith up to allegorical so he can accomplish actively alarming armour for my aggressive. again I'm traveling to do the aforementioned for weapons.

Elisebambi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14808 on: July 24, 2011, 09:15:54 pm »

25 coffins!

I have 25 ghosts haunting my dungeon thusfar.

Realllly sucks.

OH WELL sucks for them.

LET THE SLAVE LABOR CONTINUE----YOU WILL ALL BE GIVEN SUITABLE MASS GRAVES WHEN THE MAGMA RESERVOIR BURIAL CHAMBER IS COMPLETE.

Zaroua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14809 on: July 24, 2011, 09:54:23 pm »

My poor, poor duchess finally snapped and went insane because her lessers had pretentious dining, sleeping and office arrangements. I feel so, so sorry for her.

On a more fun note, an elven siege happened last year, 104 elves + beasts total slain, most of the beasts being grizzlies and gigantic pandas. 6 casualties on my side: 1 civilian, 4 recruits and 1 more experienced fighter (all of them died to the pandas and grizzly bears). Oh ya, 2 squads of goblins ambushed me while I was fighting the elven siege.

Last year I traded away 500k dwarfbucks worth of profit to the dwarven caravan, I'm hoping that this year's caravan will be loaded with gems beyond counting. If things keep going well, this fort should be able to tackle the HFS through military might alone.

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14810 on: July 24, 2011, 10:52:08 pm »

In addition, I have 73 legendary dwarves. Is this normal?

No. It is, however, awesome.

Now to my fort:

Siege came as my liason's caravan was settling in, I retreat to the trade depot to have their guards reinforce my men.

So I'm waiting for the bowmen/ogres/macemen/McElitePikeGoblin, but then I see my crippled Mace Lord crawling to the front gate (where I had told everyone to station earlier). The Ogres were fast approaching, I hoped he would retreat and make it.

Alas, Sazurbal kept moving toward the gate still saying that was his 'station.' I had to tell everyone to attack the Ogres (my 28 others were down a z-level). My crawling cripple makes first contact before the rest can get there. But he dodges/blocks until the first wave of fellow legendaries get there. However, he was eventually struck down by a lucky shot from an Ogre. If he weren't crippled, maybe they would've tried to hit something other than the head. If I hadn't fallen back, he would've lived. I remember

But we drove the siege back, only a few casualties with only 1 fatality. I will never doubt my legendaries again.
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

BornInATrailer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14811 on: July 25, 2011, 11:12:19 am »

TL;DR - DF newb relates his probably mundane and boring almost-complete fortress collapse.

Very new to the game, still on my first fort, Orbfight.  I think.  That's how much of a newb I am, I'm not sure I remember my fort name.  Just had my first tantrum "spiral" though I think that overstates the tantrum aspect.  The tantrums were really just a mop up action.. 

I follow the quickstart guide on the wiki fairly religiously (and have just now had my first lesson on the importance of a sound military and, perhaps more so, sound defensive structures and drawbridges).  The site seems OK, but what do I know?  Over time, found plenty of iron but no steel besides what bars and equipment I could trade;  no flux to be found so far (and no coal).  Plenty of trees and made do with my clear cutting.  Gone a dozen+ levels down.  Haven't hit any magma, though I'm not sure I'd yet dare play with it anyway.  Following the guide, I soon have a multitude of stockpiles quickly filling with valuables.  Many of the various industries are (were) up and running.  I have a nicely appointed dining hall.  Everyone has their own bedrooms and even all dining/living space engraved.  Food at pretty decent levels.. a little under 7k units of food and drink.  Complaints about the same booze, but whatever, eat and drink your plump helmets.

I have 2 squads of various melee, mostly axe and hammer, all suited up in iron, some with a smattering of steel weapons.  Training was iffy.  I didn't figure out the alert/scheduling thing (and that they were not really training, at least not as a squad) until much later.  Another squad of marksdwarves.  A long straight hall filled with cage/stone traps.  A copule dogs in 1x1 pastures outside (I told you I religiously followed the guide). 

I don't know what the usual is like, but early going seemed very very quiet.  A little hazy at this point but here is the run down.  A couple ambushes that saw some losses, but nothing too serious.  A minotaur comes around and eventually dies but takes several with him (including the depot and drawbridge I never bothered raising.. hey it is just one guy).  I fix the depot and refill my squads.  I do not replace the drawbridge.

Then I had my first goblin siege.  I sent all three squads out with kill orders.  A bloody victory (?) with some 14 losses iirc.  But siege immediately over at least.  I am puzzled for a long time as the squads wait outside doing nothing (Oh..I have to cancel those now defunct kill orders).  I just thought they were depressed.  I restock the vanguard.  More migrants.  Not sure I had everyone in full armor at this point and that probably didn't help.  Sadly, it seems I lost some of my better fighters (a couple few level 9-12 with various weapon).  This is a trend that continued.  Quiet for a bit, dwarves are up to the low 100s.  Another ambush and then another siege.  This time, being a clever dwarf, I choose to fight them in the trap hall, marksdwarves behind.  The goblins appear to be bringing (riding on ala Master-Blaster?) giants?  I didn't remember that before; I thought there had been one giant.  Not a personal giant per gob.  Whatever.  I think this siege, maybe the previous, also included a group of trolls. In any event the Trolls outpace the gobbies, get there first and are slaughtered in the trap tunnel. With the giant-riding gobs, another bloody fight, but this time only 4 losses.  All manner of goodies outside.  Rejoice!  I understand how this military works now.         

More migrants and 138 dwarves.  Still no steel production, but my cut gem and gold bar/statue/etc trade is quite nice (I am finding gold everywhere).  Another siege.  I do the same hall fight.  Goes.. OK-ish.  Goblins and Trolls seem to be fleeing (siege still up).  Assuming they are running off the map, I lift the civ alert, back to business as normal, because I am an idiot.  Apparently they were just regrouping.  Or a sudden outpouring of unarmored dwarves, picking flowers and fishing changed their mindset.  They are not leaving now.  Civilians are being chased everywhere, struck down right and left.  The fight is rejoined.  My remaining squads are *annihilated* outside trap tunnel.  Every animal in the pasture is being chased down and needlessly killed.  The goblins are pushing past the front gate.  Running amok in the crafting areas, but most head for the dining/cook/brewing level below and the living quarters below that (my civ alert burrow area).  Dwarves are being chased into bedrooms and murdered.  But the dining area is the worst.  Dwarves dead and incapacitated litter the dining hall.  Stragglers being chased round and round through the interconnected drink stockpiles, only to eventually be cornered and struck down. 

I know it is over, I just watch.  Death and more death.  The patients in the hospital have been killed.  Or perhaps died from inattention.  The noble that was mayor and the one that was mayor before him are dead.  Eventually the goblins leave.  I don't recall exactly because I was just watching the fracas at this point, but maybe 21 dwarves of 138 left.  Soon enough some die of wounds and am left with 16 downright surly dwarves, including my legendary craftsdwarf that was possessed in a workshop the entire fight, untouched (he would not survive his mood however).  One of 2 surviving original 7, my bookkeeper and a legendary miner, has made himself mayor.  Tantrums occur constantly.  Fights, workshops broken, a couple dying of thirst.  This destruction goes on.  Corpses are starting to rot.  And the several dozen free coffins are not nearly enough.  Ghosts start rising up.  I have plenty of food and drink and focus on creating only coffins.  By now the miasma is ever present, reaching all the way down to the stairwell in my lowest excavation level.  The food/brewing/dining hall level is a near solid rolling purple cloud of sadness, except for the now unused (there is no butcher, there are no animals save 2 pet cats) butchers shop behind two doors.  It's opposite day! 

I assumed I was done, that I would be watching the fortress close up or however that works.  But eventually the tantrums start to slow and ghosts are regularly being put to rest.  I am down to 6 dwarves.  Perhaps the copious wine, lavish meals and nicely appointed quarters (now spattered with blood and viscera of 2 races) helped but dwarves are no longer raging.  The coffin creation and burial process continues, regularly attended by ghosts.   

I finally get a group of (20!) migrants.  I will attempt to recover.  My plan is to finish the coffins and then immediately fashion a new entrance.  There is still rock two z-levels above me.  After witnessing the collapse, I looked over the security design wiki page.  It was clear I needed professional help.  And the winding entrance with multiple retractable bridges, shooting gallery and ballista seems like a fine choice (a L13 siege engineer was in the immigrant wave).  The going is slow.  I have much to tunnel and channel and trap, but thankfully 2 legendary miners (and not much else) are left in the 6.  And body parts, or at this point bones, are seemingly endlessly being dragged to coffins.  I gave up all pretense of order and am filling every nook and cranny of the tomb area with coffins.  No food or drink production.  Or mining for ores or gems.  Or smelting.  Or anything.  Living off the fat of this bloated fort-corpse.

An ambush, but only a few losses.  There are now unused coffins.  I've connected the new entry to the existing fort.  I wall up the old entry and some more migrants arrive (up to 30 some odd dwarves now).  Desperately channeling, putting levers in the dining hall, setting up traps.  No cage traps this time.. stone traps and weapon traps with the plethora of copper goblin weapons around.  Install the fortifications for the shooting gallery.  Dig out the ballista rooms.  4 bridges are set up, half the walkway has traps set, most of those complete... and siege.  Largest force I've seen yet for sure.  Only a third of the path is trapped, ballistas are not yet built though parts are delivered (no ammo yet anyway).  But no time like the present.

Set my alerts, get my lone squad of marksdwarves (In iron.  Screw leather armor.) stationed.  Diverting bridge is raised.  Goblin group enters, starts on path.  Set remaining bridges to be raised.  Exit bridge is last to be pulled, a couple get out, one smashed.  Marksdwarves are having a field day, though they are terrible shots.  Goblins try to hide on the untrapped inner landing, around the corner of the fortification.  Not enough room for all of them, so most killed there.  Bridge cycled encourages them to head for the door.  Two left, passing out from pain/stunned.  When there is one, I open the inner bridges.  A lone marksdwarf decides to finish him up close and personal (need "curbstomp" skill).  And that is that.  This has been fantastic training for the marksdwarves.

And here is where I am saved currently.  A large group of gobs and trolls remain outside.  A ghost or two still lurk though there are free coffins.  Plenty of food and drink, morale is actually quite high and new entrance is filled with glorious goblin-sourced-only miasma.  I am currently scavenging the path for all the bolts (there are many) I can get.  Then I will reset the alerts and pull some levers.

Can wait to play tonight  :D     
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 11:35:35 am by BornInATrailer »

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14812 on: July 25, 2011, 11:46:17 am »

Yeah. All those "deep metals?" Sphalerite and cobalt. Fuck you, game, I brought fifty bars of steel.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14813 on: July 25, 2011, 12:59:43 pm »

I've decided I'm going to learn how to use pumps.  It's either that, or make my metalworkers continue traveling ~60 Z-Levels to get to the magma forges.  That would kinda defeat the purpose of the castle I'm building for them on the surface.  Besides, this is shaping up to be the best fortress I've ever had, so I might as well risk destroying it all with make it the first one where I make proper use of magma.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14814 on: July 25, 2011, 02:07:33 pm »

Daggerdepths is nearing the end of its 22nd year and I only now built a permanant hospital  :). No more setting bones in the middle of the hallway.

Not that there's a lot of injuries going around. The only dwarves who go outside are my military and they're all walking buzz-saws. I think the last injury happened years back when one of my swordsdwarves thought he was an action stuntdwarf and dodged an attack... down a 3 z-level artificial cliff. He landed on his left arm, shattering his shoulder. That earned him the nickname 'Hollywood'.

It's a good thing he wasn't higher up. This artificial cliff goes up on an incline and is a 12 z-level drop at the top.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14815 on: July 25, 2011, 02:37:27 pm »

8 years since embarking, magma furnaces, forges, adamantine refining all going well, doing my best to train the melee military to the point they're useful.  several elite marksdwarves. 

I've setup a lever to control doors to the outside/topside in the case of attack.  Normal doors keep getting forced/pushed/propped open, and trying to close them when 9 goblins are 3 squares away is not the path to happiness.

Built a few pastures, walled them in.  channeled the river down for internal wells.

Then this joker shows up:

Ofo Sedastkafit, Hill Titan
"A towering humanoid composed of flame.  It has a pair of knobby antennae and it has a regal bearing."

"composed of flame".  This is new.  Oh, the forest is entirely on fire now.  That's fun!

Hit the lever to close the doors, boys, no point in running out into the f...

Noooooo!  Hit the lever! That... flip it!! do it!

Yeah, so, the entire map is burning, and my adamantine clad super military is dying to a forest fire.  It doesn't matter if the Hill Titan is dead or not, stepping onto the map was all he needed to do to ensure victory.   At least the animals are fine.  Apparently in the time it takes a Hill Titan to run 50 squares, a single dwarf can't flip a lever. /grumble

Gotta love it!

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #14816 on: July 25, 2011, 04:05:23 pm »

Note to self: cut down all trees.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14817 on: July 25, 2011, 04:32:31 pm »

I just had a siege, in which I lost about a fourth of my military.  It was great.  When I got the alert, I stationed three squads in strategic spots around the main entrance to the fort.  I placed the fourth squad inside the construction site of the Iron Castle, because it had one staircase that connected it to the rest of the fort.  I thought there was only one way into the castle.  Turns out, there was a slope right next to it, and the goblin swordsmen managed to sneak in and ambush the Rocks of Virtue.  Half of the dwarf squad was killed, and their captain, Cog Bellrenowned the Clarity of Affliction, lost an arm.  The worst part is, he didn't get any kills in during this siege.   :-[
The Murk of Slings also suffered heavy casualties and lost their captain, Meng Painttactic the Armored Mirror-Pleats of Conflict.  The Severity of Work and the Fists of Bronze suffered no casualties, and the militia commander got 9 or 10 new kills.   8)
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14818 on: July 25, 2011, 09:11:03 pm »

I just had fun (not Fun) with an aquifer... I thought it was going to be a hugely thick, massive aquifer... but it was only one layer. After so much engineering... God damn it all.

So I'm finally in the rock now and the first thing I do is run into piles and piles and piles of magnetite. There is so much magnetite. Right in a seam of bituminous coal, too.

I'm going to have so much fun this time 'round.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14819 on: July 25, 2011, 09:15:19 pm »

Fishbeard's main food source is now no longer fish. Sadly, this could have been prevented with some forethought. Sharks and other non-vermin sea creatures are regularly swimming into my indoor fishing area and well system. If I had built some bridges and floodgates before I let the ocean in, I could have air-drowned them whenever I wanted and harvested them en masse. *sigh*

Also, I've been made into a county for the second time ever. This time I wasn't really planning it - it just sorta happened after I donated one of my beached whales to the caravan.

The only thing is, the first time this happened I could check the requirements for the next stage from the noble screen. This time, it's not there. Did it get removed? I don't remember the version number from the first time I got a king, but I know it was less than 10 versions ago. It used to tell me I needed X roads, Y donations, and Z something else.
Pages: 1 ... 986 987 [988] 989 990 ... 3842