Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 985 986 [987] 988 989 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126839 times)

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14790 on: July 24, 2011, 08:44:35 am »

This is perfect! I've started at war with the elves! I just got an ambush :P so glad I decided to get that gate operational.

Alas, Poor Guard Chicken, your death will not be in vain.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14791 on: July 24, 2011, 08:49:23 am »

A dwarf just died in a construction accident. His name is Rovol Safetyhelpful.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14792 on: July 24, 2011, 08:53:44 am »

I am currently making plans for the most awesome fortress guard ever.

They will all be decked out in decorated and dyed leather... and so, Lucha Libre has come to Dwarf Fortress

Hopefully they will earn some awesome titles, since that's what every good wrestler needs! (Apart from a ring for them to murder goblins in)
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14793 on: July 24, 2011, 09:55:41 am »

Just as I finished my barebones champion (adequate swordsdwarf with an Iron helm, breastplate, and shield) I got a wave of migrants whom I Immediately drafted and had zerg-rush the elven ambush, had a few fatalities, but my hospital patched the rest of them up easily. Unskilled, Unarmed Dwarves managed to scare off a much larger force of elves. haha. Wimps.

*Mayor facepalms*

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14794 on: July 24, 2011, 10:15:29 am »

So I finally learned how to danger room. My squad of immigrants that just arrived are suddenly legendary in everything. Though their pets died terribly, my give-a-damn about that seems to be broken.

Also I seem to have more gold than I could possibly know what to do with, so I'm flooring and walling my entire entry way in the stuff. Makes a nice colour with the red Kaldonite (or however its spelled) trade depot.

Kaolinite can be used at a kiln as clay to make porcelain.  You can totally give all your nobles gold studded porcelain thrones.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14795 on: July 24, 2011, 01:01:35 pm »

It's like every season is Goblin Christmas these days. at least my palisade works to keep them out for now, just ambushes, I need a real solution soon.

*Mayor facepalms*

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14796 on: July 24, 2011, 01:41:11 pm »

It has been awhile since I've played and as soon as I load up Bridgegate stuff starts to happen.
First a Thresher goes moody and grabs a mason's shop. I noticed that he is a dabbling mason and likes statues, so I forbade all stones except platinum nuggets.
A rafter of skeletal turkeys are harassing my outside workers, so I mobilizes my military to patrol the surface.

After the Thresher gathered all his materials, something like six or seven things, and started building, a vile force of darkness showed up.
I ordered everyone inside and the drawbridge raised. I just happen to be watching the front gate when a see a kitten go flying by. Apparently, The dwarf who volunteered to raise the drawbridge waited for a kitten to be crossing before pulling the lever.

Next, I get a combat report. Goblins are fighting a skeletal moose. I go watch for a bit, goblin bowmen.
Another combat report. Goblins in the weapon traps! Some goblins made it to my vistor's entrance. Checking that out reveals a large number of goblin spearmen and trolls. A short distance from the entrance a swarm of goblin swordsmen.
I doubt my cage traps will stop them all so I order my military to station near the entrance.

The Thresher completes his project: Lallarul, The South Magician. Weight 1284. Value 249600.
This is a native platinum statue of Krififblangin. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.
The item is a masterfully designed image of Krififblangin the kobold and dwarves in native platinum by Reg Zonlektad.
Krififblangin is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the rise of the kobold Krififblangin as an enemy of The Submerged Rags in the late autumn of 91.
It is encrusted with native platinum and encircled with bands of bismuth and tower-cap. This object menaces with spikes of native platinum, gabbro, and guineafowl leather.
On the item is an image of dwarves in water buffalo bone. The dwarves are traveling. The artwork relates to the foundation of Bridgegate by The Theater of Arenas of The Submerged Rags in the early spring of 91.
On the item is an image of Zuglar Toolbranded the dwarf and dwarves in birch. Zuglar is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the ascension of the dwarf Zuglar to the position of queen of The Submerged Rags in 81.
On the item is an image of rubber trees in green tourmaline.
On the item is an image of or the Submerged Lakes, the deity of rivers, lakes, coasts and oceans, depicted as a female dwarf and a dwarf in tower-cap. The dwarf is praying. or the Submerged Lakes is contemplating.

Going back to the invading goblins, I find that one dwarf decided to go take them on by herself, having gone into the visitor's entrance, which is odd since according to her profile she is entirely averse to risk and excitement. Actually, looking at her profile, she seems very ill suited for military life. She doesn't handle stress well and she is very slow to heal. The only good qualities she has seems to be loaded with muscles and despite being very friendly, not having any friends. The best relationship she has is passing acquaintance. Of which, 33 out of 44 are children.
Anyways, both of her hands are now broken, both of her legs are fractured, and all of her limbs are cut open. At some point she realized she was outmatched, so she started crawling back to the safety of the fortress. Watching her crawl away while being swarmed by goblins made me pity her so I ordered the rest of the military to drive the goblins off. The injured dwarf made it to an empty cage trap and passed out, cleverly making her immune to the goblins' attacks. If she survives, her name Amost Scarcrafted is going to be very appropriate.
My military was able to kill off most of the goblins, I think one or two retreated, with no casualties, but some of my dwarves have significant injuries.
Checking the Units screen, I think the goblins have been defeated, I never had to deal with the bowmen, so either they were destroyed by the skeletal moose or they fled from it's might. I did spot a skeletal troll, but he is down in the caverns, which should be completely sealed off.
Feeling safe, I let the dwarves back outside and took the military off duty.

Looking at the cage with Amost Scarcrafted in it, I figured I should get her out so she can get medical attention. I tried dumping it. A dwarf came along picked up the cage, took it to a cliff and threw it over, but Amost did not come out. She is not an option in the pit menu, so I can't get her out that way. I have ordered her cage and a lever to be built in the hospital, we'll see if anybody gets around to it.

My current issue is with Led Rithotung Torasatum Led, a.k.a. Led Bellsshocks the Greatest Worshipper of Racks. He is a peasant serving in my military as an axedwarf. He managed to survive the goblin siege unscratched, yet he is spamming me with messages about him standing up. He is currently complaining about long patrol duties and being relieved from patrol duty. His current task is to attend a meeting, but none of my other dwarves are attending this meeting and he is on the staircase heading down  to the forges at the magma sea. I don't particularly want anything bad to happen to him as he is a good fighter and his eldest daughter of his seven children is a legendary armorer, but he is getting irritating.

EDIT: Spring came with Immast, a skeletal Minotaur. He chased a named cat around for a bit until it managed to grab it by the toe. After a fierce battle in which nothing happened, Immast threw the cat away and headed towards the visitor's entrance. He was ground to a fine paste by the large dagger trap. The cat has one broken toe, but is otherwise unharmed.

Amost Scarcreated is ecstatic. She has been rescued from the cage and is resting in the hospital.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 02:26:54 pm by McDwarf »

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14797 on: July 24, 2011, 01:51:29 pm »

We cannot hold the gate. We are already at half strength, and they just keep coming. Beyond our palisade swarms with badgers and Goblins. The Surface is lost, we must retreat. We shall have to forget our dreams of Nautical Mayhem, at least for now.

Edit: I am now up to FOUR Ambushes at the same time of both Goblins and Elves. I can't even fight off ONE ambush, so I have to dig now, three of the elven ambushes are mounted on war animals too. Curse all friends of nature indeed.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 02:17:23 pm by lanceleoghauni »

*Mayor facepalms*

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14798 on: July 24, 2011, 02:38:50 pm »

So I realized I have well over 600 copper bars with many more breastplates, shields, and helms waiting to be melted down.  I get some tin off the caravans, but a lot less now that I've got a king, so I have no idea what to do with all this excess copper--any suggestions?

A tower on the surface. Or a castle in the caverns for the king to live in.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14799 on: July 24, 2011, 04:21:09 pm »

New fort. In a desert that has 4 layers of dolomite under the soil layer. Spireworks is into its second summer and thriving with 50 dwarfs thanks to its exports of dolomite crafts attracting many immigrants. The fort subsists mostly off hunters bringing camels for meat in and 3 5x5 farms for underground crops. The entrance to the fort is a branch off from a vertical stair that will be used to lead down into the caverns. I am going to use the limitless sand to found a large glass industry. To make a glass tower for my nobility to live in. A small metalworking and forge/kiln complex has been set up and soon the caves shall be opened up for timber harvesting to fuel it. With a small outpost by the magma sea eventually going to be built to churn even more glass out.

There are also deep metals to be found. On to the caves for further fortunes!
« Reply #14800 on: July 24, 2011, 04:26:21 pm »

the last thing that happened in my fort was getting over yet another goblin ambush. My dwarves have yet to be under siege. I'm having a hard time maintaining the military (still getting used to the new layout), especially since my squads keep getting wiped out.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14801 on: July 24, 2011, 05:08:34 pm »

The dwarf who died in a construction accident earlier was building a room for dumping sacrifices into the sea. Dagon must have accepted him as a sacrifice, because less than two months later a couple of whales washed up on the beach. Hello 1000+ meat.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14802 on: July 24, 2011, 05:39:12 pm »

trying to build an above ground fort. in the 3rd year so far, took this long to find a way through the aquifer. finally gave up and exposed the water to the outside, dug out the ice and built walls, tunneled through into the stone. however I have a wooden meeting hall, a bit of a keep, workshops kept in a nice row that I'm building a roof over to keep the snow out and so the poor hoopleheads can be in the dark while they toil. finally building the first layer of stone walls, and the barracks are finished and the militia is training the old-fashioned way. also having the carpenters build some apartments, so they arent all sleeping in the meeting hall. which is a step up from what they were doing, which was sleeping by the wagon for the last two years

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14803 on: July 24, 2011, 06:01:19 pm »

Amost Scarcreated died due to infection. Maybe if the medical staff didn't look at her wounds and decide the most important treatment was for broken fingers. Or maybe because my chief medical dwarf is also an animal trainer and brought a war bear and a pack of war dogs into the operating theatre.

I have another dwarf who is flashing indicating that she is wounded, but she is avoiding the hospital. Her health screen says she has lost the ability to grasp.

Another dwarf became possessed and made a wooden cage entitled "The Genius of Barricading."

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14804 on: July 24, 2011, 06:44:20 pm »

The siege left as I was danger rooming. The danger room also had one or two copper spears in there, crippling two men and killing a couple others. When ghosts popped up I destroyed the walls blocking the surface, and buried or tossed the corpses of the last siege. I drained one lake to have a safe underground water source for patients. Then I put statues back into place, and waited.

In the moment of revenge my mlitary was eradicated by a siege. Turns out I was dumb enough to think that they didn't need legendary in more than shield user when danger rooming. They drove them back, but only 3 were left alive, and incapacitated. Some injured ogres were either running away into my fort to get to the caverns, or going to destroy things inside the fort (and I didn't want to find  out which).  So I cheated and Ctrl, Alt, Delete.

I don't want to lose this fort. Luckily I had saved after I fixed the danger room, set up the water, and after burying the remains.

I made the military bigger this time, and un-equipped shields after achieving legendary to ensure they trained other skills. Now they are mostly Lords of some weapon. Some equipment getters/cannot follow orders didn't train as much. I set up some weapon traps and now I'm waiting for migrants to boost my numbers. The military is out of the danger room and outside as I wait for the next siege, and this time I am ready for realz...for real. They already sent 2-3 ambushes, which were dispatched easily. (They couldn't even hit my crawling crippled Lords duo!).
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.
Pages: 1 ... 985 986 [987] 988 989 ... 3842