Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 980 981 [982] 983 984 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126277 times)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14715 on: July 21, 2011, 12:26:47 pm »

Actually had to turn down the ratio of dwarven children to adults. The kids are eating too much food and not helping to put it in stockpiles. 1000's of dwarfbucks worth of food have gone rotten. To make up for the loss of food I've actually had to start slaughternig war dogs en mass. It's ok, they're not that useful anyways, and they're dying of old age recently. Cat pets are starting to die too, which should help my fps soon. I have ~30-40 cat pets that run all over the place. I need like 5

FPS is down to ~ 80, and I'm trying to figure out what's slowing everything down. various places are locked and forbidden now, and I regularly clean out my garbage area.

Elves should be happy btw, my fort is defended almost entirely by exotic giant war animals on ropes, and I'm selling them the crafted remains of the dogs I eat. I don't use much wood for anything, so their beloved forests are safe. I figure since they're cannibals they'll like the current arrangements.

All of my dwarves are naked too. I have plenty of high-quality clothes lying around, but they don't give a squat. Every single dwarf in my fort is in the nude.

BTW,,, if you have 53 dwarves, but 37 of those are children... is it worth having a mayor? My fort says yes. I'm not a city - I'm a fricken daycare.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14716 on: July 21, 2011, 03:04:39 pm »

I don't have my FPS counter on right now, but it must be pretty high.  It's actually kind of irritating, for things like merchants and moods.  I'm not gonna mess with it, though, since it's mostly a good thing.

This is my first fortress to focus on the metal industry.  (My previous was the first one where I really got steel-production figured out.)  I'm basically going to make it so that life is great for metalworkers, miners, engineers, and jewelers, and not so great for anyone else.  Except maybe doctors.

Just had a blacksmith mood, but he ended up going berserk and killing the expedition leader.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14717 on: July 21, 2011, 05:06:23 pm »

Actually had to turn down the ratio of dwarven children to adults. The kids are eating too much food and not helping to put it in stockpiles. 1000's of dwarfbucks worth of food have gone rotten. To make up for the loss of food I've actually had to start slaughternig war dogs en mass. It's ok, they're not that useful anyways, and they're dying of old age recently. Cat pets are starting to die too, which should help my fps soon. I have ~30-40 cat pets that run all over the place. I need like 5

FPS is down to ~ 80, and I'm trying to figure out what's slowing everything down. various places are locked and forbidden now, and I regularly clean out my garbage area.

Elves should be happy btw, my fort is defended almost entirely by exotic giant war animals on ropes, and I'm selling them the crafted remains of the dogs I eat. I don't use much wood for anything, so their beloved forests are safe. I figure since they're cannibals they'll like the current arrangements.

All of my dwarves are naked too. I have plenty of high-quality clothes lying around, but they don't give a squat. Every single dwarf in my fort is in the nude.

BTW,,, if you have 53 dwarves, but 37 of those are children... is it worth having a mayor? My fort says yes. I'm not a city - I'm a fricken daycare.

are you really complaining about 80 fps?

dude i'm happy to get 25 out of a several year old fort.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14718 on: July 21, 2011, 05:20:59 pm »

I'm trying the Cave Challenge as described a few threads above. I came with two Speardwarves that had Novice skill in growing, and my leader is also a Speardwarf (I gave up broker and manager skills for the military ones), so I could start a 3-dwarf squad of Camp Guardsdwarves once I hit the first cavern layer, and fortify my, shall I call it, 'base camp' with stone walls and doors, and make a small hospital supplied by home-grown pigtail cloth.

I deleted the [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] tag, so my dwarves will be fine with the water found in the caverns. I may want to dig a well, though.

For housing, I will dig into the pillars without removing them to make housing for the regular people, and dig larger complexes into the main bulk of the stone I am supposed to hit.

Hopefully I can find a magma tube in one of the layers. I hope it's the first.

Update: Damn! An alligator killed one of my guards. I'm down to one planting guardsdwarves, so I'm less better defended against early attacks.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 05:28:31 pm by UristMcHuman »

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14719 on: July 21, 2011, 05:36:54 pm »

Just a quick note, in the testing I've done with removing [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT], dwarves won't drink anything until they start getting dehydrated, producing unhappy thoughts from being thirsty. I think it still makes them work at a slower rate like they do when forced to drink water in vanilla.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14720 on: July 21, 2011, 07:56:03 pm »

A case of mistaken identity has resulted in some no-name chump being made baron.  It's a real shame, since I had some high hopes for my baron's career.  Oh well.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14721 on: July 21, 2011, 08:07:21 pm »

Just a quick note, in the testing I've done with removing [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT], dwarves won't drink anything until they start getting dehydrated, producing unhappy thoughts from being thirsty. I think it still makes them work at a slower rate like they do when forced to drink water in vanilla.

What about making the tag [WATER_DEPENDENT]? That should make them occasionally stop to drink water, logically.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14722 on: July 21, 2011, 08:13:00 pm »

A forgotten beast made of glass is making my fortress guard look like fools. 1 dead so far, 2 suffering from what appears to be moderate full body necrosis combined with drowsyness.  The captain of the guard caught a little bit from punching it while it was covered with extract and it was enough to make him decide to abandon the battle in progress to go take a nap.  the captain's silver mace and silver artifact shield (with a picture of itself on it) was my best hope of their squad actually damaging the darn thing.

Apperantly glass is extremely durable because their maces can't so much as crack the thing.  The regular military is on their way down now with real weapons.  But I'm not sure how much better they will do with Lances and Greatswords If the weapon I actually expected to smash the thing into a million pieces did nothing.

Theres also a giant mole with a crippled lower spine wandering around the tomb level preventing the doctors from running down to collect the necrosis victims.  The regular military will hopefully put it out of it's misery on their way down without missing a beat.

EDIT: Odd my custom race doesn't have [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] and they behave just fine.  Maybe it's a side effect of some other tag dwarves exclusively have that causes them to behave oddly without it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 08:14:40 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14723 on: July 21, 2011, 08:20:30 pm »

Dammit, why are so many forgotten beasts made of meat? I had 700-ish food, enough for my fortress of 60-some, when I got hit by three consecutive forgotten beasts, dumping something upwards of 1700 meat and tallow on my poor fortress. Now I have enough food for 5 years of constant operation, and another FB coming too damn soon. At least I shall never run short of stuff to sell, between my bone carvers pumping out +forgotten beast scepters+, cooks producing *forgotten beast meat roast[300]*, and leatherworkers producing -forgotten beast leather bracelets-.

Side note: Why must fat be rendered on a piece by piece basis? Why could it not be done as a stack? If it was as a stack, I could make nice big tallow roasts, rather than dozens of tallow roast[4] which take up all my barrels. Why oh whyyy? [/emo]

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14724 on: July 21, 2011, 08:24:00 pm »

Dammit, why are so many forgotten beasts made of meat? I had 700-ish food, enough for my fortress of 60-some, when I got hit by three consecutive forgotten beasts, dumping something upwards of 1700 meat and tallow on my poor fortress. Now I have enough food for 5 years of constant operation, and another FB coming too damn soon. At least I shall never run short of stuff to sell, between my bone carvers pumping out +forgotten beast scepters+, cooks producing *forgotten beast meat roast[300]*, and leatherworkers producing -forgotten beast leather bracelets-.

Side note: Why must fat be rendered on a piece by piece basis? Why could it not be done as a stack? If it was as a stack, I could make nice big tallow roasts, rather than dozens of tallow roast[4] which take up all my barrels. Why oh whyyy? [/emo]

At least you didnt do what i did and have 4 hunters on a map with herds and herds of elephants, fun times having 12 kitchens just to put a dent in the 3000 elephant fat and countless elephant meat roasts
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14725 on: July 21, 2011, 08:56:09 pm »

I have struck candy for the first time! Praise the miners!

And  I don't have anyone with a strand extraction skill.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14726 on: July 21, 2011, 08:57:09 pm »

Well the forgotten beast is dead.  1/2 of my military is in the purple colored blob that is supposed to be my hospital from "Advanced Rot" and light bruising.  But it's looking like they may survive, as my near legendary migrant surgeon seems to be preforming miracles.  2 guys I thought would surely die are now only in the hospital with some light bruising that will probably go away quickly.

I don't know how the forgotten beast died though.  Last combat report was a fracture to it's head, which it had already withstood multiple of and  I figured was a lesser wound than the regular military's repeated chipping.  Maybe it just got chipped into non existence.  With how long they were beating on it I guess I shouldn't be so surprised.

I knew solid materiel forgotten beasts were hard, but I didn't expect for half my military and the entirety of the fortress guard to be disabled by a big cow made of glass.  Before collapsing into two piles of clear glass dust.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14727 on: July 21, 2011, 09:13:54 pm »

I got my fort completely sealed from the caverns for now, but when I opened a piece of wall to add another room (all built, not dug out), some fire breathing bird-monster got into the main staircase. I sent 10 fresh recruits with almost no weapons and even less armor after it.
I could have just let my legendary miners do the dirty work, but I felt somewhat cruel and wanted to do something against the unemployment in the medical sector. Call it a healthcare reform if you want... but to no avail. One recruit dodged off the ledge and drowned (not much a doctor could do for her) and another got his arm bruised but healed before getting to the hospital. Some forgotten beasts are just wimps. I seem unable to generate Fun in this fortress.

In the meantime, the cage traps at the entrance worked better than expected. 5 badgers, a dozen rhesus macaques, a moose and 2 goblins are ready to be used in military training. As I don't like danger rooms, every bit of training material is appreciated. There were no ambushes so far, but with 40 dwarves and massive architectural wealth, I expect some goblins to come around soon. I actually need the goblinite as the region is completely devoid of metals. Not a single tile of copper, just long veins of lignite and tons of gems  :(

But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14728 on: July 21, 2011, 09:26:50 pm »

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
all strand extraction skill does is make it faster to extract, so np.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14729 on: July 21, 2011, 09:40:20 pm »

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
all strand extraction skill does is make it faster to extract, so np.

Yeah, but at this rate, it's going to take a year before I can kit out one squad in candy.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.
Pages: 1 ... 980 981 [982] 983 984 ... 3842