Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 972 973 [974] 975 976 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125737 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14595 on: July 15, 2011, 08:22:28 pm »

i don't think they can die of thirst...

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14596 on: July 15, 2011, 09:13:46 pm »

Trees have managed to surround and trap a scorpion forgotten beast in a 2-tile area. Too bad it doesn't have a dust attack, I could have built a kind chamber around it to send goblins and misbehaved dwarves in to be infected.

trillioneyes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14597 on: July 15, 2011, 09:59:17 pm »

I found my first caverns. There is more gold than I can believe. I am like drowning in gold now.

The moment I breached it (well, not QUITE... I managed to pump out a couple gold sarcophagi for some dwarves who had dodged into lakes during a goblin ambush), a bronze colossus wandered onto the map. I decided to kill it. I thought it would be a lot easier than it was.

While my entire military was beating on this thing, no less than four parties of goblin ambushers showed up. The good militia commander saw fit to dispatch herself and and my best swordsdwarf to deal with them while leaving the squad of rookies and a few hammerdwarves to the now one-armed colossus. I lost a baby and about five soldiers; meanwhile, a pair of goblins fell through a hole into my fort. (I really should install a ceiling at some point.) When I last looked at them they were advancing on a moody dwarf in his workshop; I'm not sure how he survived.

Eventually the goblins were scared away by my two dwarves, who then returned to finish off the colossus. By the end I must have lost ten dwarves, but all of my surviving soldiers were at least skilled. (From like dabbling.)

And of course I had a shiny masterwork bronze statue.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #14598 on: July 15, 2011, 10:27:11 pm »

Guess again; "Urist McThirsty has died of dehydration"

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14599 on: July 15, 2011, 10:29:51 pm »

Guess again; "Urist McThirsty has died of dehydration"

i meant the gobbos.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14600 on: July 16, 2011, 12:03:36 am »

Nah, foreign prisoners won't die from hunger or thirst.

Personally, I would use them for target practice for my marksdwarves squad. Just build their cages linked to a lever, the gobbos fully armed and armored, in a room with no exits and two rows of fortifications with a drawbridge between them to block the marksdwarves' view with zero chance to crush dwarves or gobbos. With their gear on a couple may become skilled shield and weapon users faster than the marksmen become legendary with their weapons, thus making them excellent training targets for quite a while. Maybe use a drawbridge leading out into a hallway with more cage traps to let dwarves recover ammo and reset the range.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14601 on: July 16, 2011, 12:17:06 am »

DAMN IT WON'T PEOPLE READ THE POST I'M ANSWERING? He's talking about a bunch of invaders, and he's thinking about trapping and starving them to death. I replied that I don't think this will work as I don't think gobbos eat or drink.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14602 on: July 16, 2011, 12:24:14 am »

Yes... I was supporting that statement...
Now chill out. seriously :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14603 on: July 16, 2011, 01:11:42 am »

I wonder why the facepalm moments topic is stickied but not this one.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14604 on: July 16, 2011, 01:48:08 am »

Murakgoden has decided against the 'wandering the caverns' sentence for an unfortunate noble. We're instead going to spawn MAGMA in his room using DFliquids and then blocking off the region.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #14605 on: July 16, 2011, 02:01:05 am »

Just disposed of the captured goblins from the last siege, waiting for traders to take some of this random crap I have off my hands.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14606 on: July 16, 2011, 02:35:46 am »

making bedrooms for the new lemmings. trying to find the first cavern level (seriously!? level 37 and NO cavern!?), about to have some in fortress arena fun involving 4 trolls and hero swordsdwarf. that is the punishment you get for being useful. maybe they'll come out alive.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 03:28:59 am by zehive »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14607 on: July 16, 2011, 09:04:23 am »

Just finished mopping up an ambush during the visit of the elves from Tise Vafice (I like to call it Teesa Vafeesa, dunno why... it's the Fins of Drink in Elvish). No casualties, no injuries except a peasant-turned-herbalist who got a broken foot.

Sent squad A (The Diamond Gods) to take care of the crossbowgoblin / pikegoblin ambush while Squad B (the Crystalline Entries) were sent from their Cavern Barracks to wipe out a crundle infestation.

The Ex-Mayor has been drafted and placed in a squad, then sent to the Danger Room for 'PERMANENT TRAINING' until he dies of injuries or thirst/tiredness/hunger. He put our legendary metalsmith in jail.  >:(
His squad is 'The Workers of Work'.

Current kills of the Big Four of the Diamond Gods:

Iteb Timnarmorul Adagarust Logem - Iteb Taperedpages the Soaked Bowl of Paint: 79 kills (31 Notable, including two forgotten beasts and a swamp titan)
"Revax" Tithlethstinthad Gusilal Kobel - "Revax" Rumourtheatre the Copper Pinnacle of Summits: 30 kills (Ten notable, including one forgotten beast)
Zefon Zuntiroslan Ralisos - Zefon Anvilwind the Silvery Dale: 21 kills, (fifteen notable, including one forgotten beast)
"Kurok'Taa" Ustuthdishmab - "Kurok'Taa" Fencedramparts: 7 kills, (two notable, five other)

We attracted roughly 19 migrants after having none for three seasons. It looks good for Murakgoden.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14608 on: July 16, 2011, 10:39:13 am »

yeah...one of my adamantine axes became an artifact...so...let's hope it will prosper.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #14609 on: July 16, 2011, 11:26:12 am »

yeah...one of my adamantine axes became an artifact...so...let's hope it will prosper.
Surely you mean a 'named' object? :)

I've not heard of existing objects being used to make Artefacts.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link
Pages: 1 ... 972 973 [974] 975 976 ... 3842